Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 3 of 38)
Page / 38
Link Posted: 4/6/2011 11:04:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FordGuy] [#1]
Originally Posted By GloryBigs:
Most of you already know but I learned the hard way and I wanted to make it clear to the unknowing...

Metal Jerry cans are not the best way to store / transport Fuel.

They are susceptible to being dented, they are prone to rust, and they will explode when exposed to flames.

The Scepter MFC's have none of these flaws.

Riiiiiight.......The main problem with Scepter cans is that they are made of a rare earth metal known as unobtainium.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2011 11:07:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By MPi-KMS-72:
Atlantic British supposedly has new NATO cans in stock, Has anyone tried ordering from them?
                                                    ... 20l Water

I wonder the same thing. I was about to order one, but they want a LR model #, "to make sure the item is compatible", or something like that.
Should this matter with a can?
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 9:19:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By TigerForce:
Atlantic British supposedly has new NATO cans in stock, Has anyone tried ordering from them?
                                                    ... 20l Water

I wonder the same thing. I was about to order one, but they want a LR model #, "to make sure the item is compatible", or something like that.

Just choose one. I placed an order with them. Will let you know how it goes.
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 2:11:13 AM EDT
[#4]
just google one of the LR models and figure out what years it was made, I did that and had no problem getting my cans.
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 2:27:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I went ahead and placed an order with them. Seems like it should be fine. They seem to require that because they sell replacement parts and want to ensure compatibility.
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 3:41:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Anyone have any success with VP Racing jugs?  Nice heavy gauge cans.  

I bought four in 07/09.  Butttttt........One cracked at a seam and leaked.  Supposed to have a five year warranty.  I will see how they handle it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 8:34:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GlockSlap] [#7]
Anyone using scepter water jugs to hold unleaded with sucess?
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 10:22:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By GlockSlap:
Anyone using scepter water jugs to hold unleaded with sucess?

did you read the 8th paragraph on the first post of the first page of this thread?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 1:13:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlockSlap] [#9]
Sorry-I did several days ago and it didn't take before realizing the true beauty of the Scepter-
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 2:46:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MPi-KMS-72] [#10]
                                                    ... 20l Water

HA! No that wouldn't matter, just a stupid question, either ignore it or make something up. Tell them you have a 1993 Defender 110.  Anyway I heard from a guy in NJ and he said he had no problem ordering them from Atlantic British.  Looks like they are ignoring the CARB BS.  I may have to stop by there and get some of the 10l cans, they are always hard to find.

][edit]

By the way has anyone seen the "slim" 10lt jerry cans over here yet?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SLIM-10lt-Metal-Jerry-Gerry-Can-fuel-petrol-diesel-SLIM-/350453342013?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5198a59f3d

They appear to be the same overall size as a jerry can but half as thick rather than half as tall.

Link Posted: 4/9/2011 1:47:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SR712] [#11]
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/GJC005.cfm 5l
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/GJC10.cfm 10l
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/GJC20.cfm 20l
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/8623.cfm 20l Water

I took delivery on 3 (20L) of these from Atlantic British yesterday. Was going to take pictures, but they look just like the ones on the web site. They also look just like the ones from DO. However, these have the holes pre-drilled for the nozzle mount on the handle, and there are NO Markings on the sides of these cans. Just a small stamped 20L on the handle. They were $10 cheaper than DO, and I think they're just as good if not better. Good Deal. Mfg date of Jan 6 2011.

I took all of my Lamp Oil in original plastic bottles and emptied (per batman) into 2 of these today. Very happy.

ETA: When I bought the first 3 from them, they sent me an email for 10% off of my next order, so I had to take advantage of that. haha. Ordered 4 more at discounted price of $36 ea. Shipping costs seems to be paired in 2's. So, you get your best deal per can if you ship 2, 4, 6, etc.

ETA: My discount code was PCN149. The email says it can only be used once, but its worth a try I suppose.
Link Posted: 4/10/2011 2:25:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I still havnt heard from them. did they send an email oeder confirmation before they shipped?

Originally Posted By SR712:
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/GJC005.cfm 5l
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/GJC10.cfm 10l
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/GJC20.cfm 20l
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/8623.cfm 20l Water

http://www.roverparts.com/product/img/Icn/GJC20.jpg

I took delivery on 3 (20L) of these from Atlantic British yesterday. Was going to take pictures, but they look just like the ones on the web site. They also look just like the ones from DO. However, these have the holes pre-drilled for the nozzle mount on the handle, and there are NO Markings on the sides of these cans. Just a small stamped 20L on the handle. They were $10 cheaper than DO, and I think they're just as good if not better. Good Deal. Mfg date of Jan 6 2011.

I took all of my Lamp Oil in original plastic bottles and emptied (per batman) into 2 of these today. Very happy.

ETA: When I bought the first 3 from them, they sent me an email for 10% off of my next order, so I had to take advantage of that. haha. Ordered 4 more at discounted price of $36 ea. Shipping costs seems to be paired in 2's. So, you get your best deal per can if you ship 2, 4, 6, etc.

ETA: My discount code was PCN149. The email says it can only be used once, but its worth a try I suppose.

Link Posted: 4/10/2011 3:09:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes. When I ordered, I received an order confirmation via email, and then when they shipped I received a .pdf invoice also via email. I ordered on April 5th and shipped on the 7th.
Link Posted: 4/10/2011 6:59:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes. When I ordered, I received an order confirmation via email, and then when they shipped I received a .pdf invoice also via email. I ordered on April 5th and shipped on the 7th.

+1  I received an e-mail order confirmation, and then a .pdf invoice and tracking # when it shipped. Ordered on April 7, shipped April 8. FedEx tracking says it shipped from Reno, NV.

Link Posted: 4/10/2011 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Has anyone dealt with the 5 Gallon Metal Enviro-Flo Plus Can5 Gallon Metal Enviro-Flo Plus Can?

It looks suspiciously like their old milspec can but with a funky spout.  Anyone know if they changed the threads?
Link Posted: 4/10/2011 8:18:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PA22-400] [#16]
I used a can like that to be sure that I got the correct large fitting for my home-made spout for my mil-surplus cans  The change is that there is no vent hole in the new can, but a small drill bit would fix that.

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 9:34:29 AM EDT
[#17]

+1  I received an e-mail order confirmation, and then a .pdf invoice and tracking # when it shipped. Ordered on April 7, shipped April 8. FedEx tracking says it shipped from Reno, NV.

Called them, they are out of stock, website just does not show it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#19]
R2point0 and Garand_Shooter,
here is a thread on converting the new can to near old specifications

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/jerry-can-mod-screw-epa-1025877/
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 6:04:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MPi-KMS-72] [#20]
Originally Posted By ar556223:

Called them, they are out of stock, website just does not show it.

Wow! You guys cleaned out Atlantic British's 20L jerry cans in 5 days time?
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/GJC10.cfm 10L still showing "in stock"
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By criley:
Anyone have any success with VP Racing jugs?  Nice heavy gauge cans.  

I bought four in 07/09.  Butttttt........One cracked at a seam and leaked.  Supposed to have a five year warranty.  I will see how they handle it.

They are sending me a replacement at no charge!
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 12:28:23 AM EDT
[#22]

This order, for two of the 10 (ten) liter cans, arrived today. VERY pleased. Manufacture dates: 09/08, 10/09. NO "Not for fuel use" or similar markings. The paint seems very sturdy. I've started lightly sanding the paint on and surrounding the nozzles, for painting yellow to indicate diesel fuel. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.

Link Posted: 4/13/2011 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I just got two 10l cans from Atlantic British.  They are green, brand new production, wrapped in brown paper that has a sticker from Allmakes in the UK on them.  One side is stamped:

-10L-
Petroleum
Spirit Highly
Inflammable

There are some part #s on the center handle and the cap has "10-09" on it
If anyone wants I can take pics tomorrow but they really just look like any brand new 10L short Jerry can.

Buy 'em while they have them.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 7:36:27 PM EDT
[#24]
happened to have stumbled on this thread while looking at something else.

i got into fuel storage for a number of reasons. when i started, i had bought an MFC scepter in the past, went to buy more and found i couldnt. anyway, for my purposes i need something different.

so i discovered a local place to sells refurbished HDPE, steel and stainless steel containers of all sizes. and bought a number of 15 gallon drums similar to this:

they were around 20 bucks a piece. i have a farm type hand crank pump that actually pumps fuel faster than a station pump.

most of my barrels are 15 gallon, a couple are 20. 15 gallons of fuel is about all i can move around.

i dont need portability, i need storage. these seem to work well. i cycle through my fuel. in other words i fill the barrels up and the gas station. i fill the car up with the barrels. so ive got a cushion of fuel stored in a shed behind my house.

based on my driving needs i can store about 4 months worth. if i had to i could go longer (or buy some more barrels). i fuel gets flakier this summer im gonna do that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 9:52:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Has anyone got a line on the small french wine cans?  like gallon and a half or so?  thanks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By FordGuy:
Has anyone got a line on the small french wine cans?  like gallon and a half or so?  thanks.

The ceramic lined ones  that say VIN on them?  I haven't seen them for sale in ages- I wouldn't mind a couple myself.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 12:39:39 PM EDT
[#27]
What is 'DO' ? The only cans I can find right now which can hold gasoline are on ebay for $55 shipped...is there a cheaper alternative? All of the land rover parts website like Atlantic are all sold out, and that company which was ebaying a bunch of NATO cans is gone too...
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:00:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SR712] [#28]
DO = Deutsche Optik

I just received 4 of the green Jerrys from Atlantic British yesterday. I don't see them on their website anymore. Too bad, they were $39 each and I had a coupon for another 5% off, or was it 15%. Good price, though.

So, without any discount at Atlantic British, it was $39 ea, plus $7.25 ea for shipping = $46.25 delivered/each.
Deutsche Optik wants $196 for 4 including delivery = $49 delivered/each. Not bad. At least you can get them.

I have ordered from both, and they were all great in shipping, packing and delivery and very nice on the phone.

These really are pretty cans. So shiny and perfect. Only wish they came in red....
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Deutsche Optik wants $196 for 4 including delivery = $49 delivered/each. Not bad. At least you can get them.
These really are pretty cans. So shiny and perfect. Only wish they came in red....

Yes, they are very nice cans even though mine say Not For Fuel Use. The shine on them drives me crazy though and I might take a scotch brite pad or 0000 steel wool to try and buff it out a little.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:48:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Hmmmmmm..... none of mine say that on them. Strange.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:52:33 PM EDT
[#31]
British Pacific has them in stock for ~$46.6 ea. shipped.

http://www.britishpacific.com/search.php?q=jerry+can
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Wow! And, they even have red ones! Anyone want some green cans?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:43:59 PM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By CTRob65:

Yes, they are very nice cans even though mine say Not For Fuel Use. The shine on them drives me crazy though and I might take a scotch brite pad or 0000 steel wool to try and buff it out a little.

Website says they put that on to make them California legal. Since they're not for fuel use, they don't have to conform to the CA ridiculosity.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:23:50 PM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By dugedug:

Great deal on the gaskets.

DO charges $10 per 4.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 10:15:21 PM EDT
[#35]
i know they're not the snazzy cans, but right now i can't afford to replace all my "regular" gas cans w/ HSLD ones. does anybody have a source for the old school nozzles (pictured below on the left)? the new ones (on the right) suck ass. i looked on ebay last week and a nozzle by itself was selling for $16 .

Link Posted: 5/4/2011 10:29:43 AM EDT
[#36]
hootch13, you are late to the party.  About two years ago I found a thread on a landscapers forum where they were saying that they were dreaming of the preban cans as they slept.   The ban is now just over 3 years old, and the bigger consumers have been wanting a the preban nozzles for 2 or more years.

The places I can think of to look are garage sales, and flea markets.

Better yet, get a good funnel, and a super siphon.  You will need both.

Stop buying the walmart cans.  Go on, save up, and get the NATO cans.  You will save money in the long run.
Link Posted: 5/4/2011 11:58:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Anyone have a british pacific code that they aren't using???
Link Posted: 5/4/2011 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#38]
BP is NOT shipping...just got a refund and an email cancelling my order
Link Posted: 5/4/2011 1:18:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By PA22-400:
hootch13, you are late to the party.  About two years ago I found a thread on a landscapers forum where they were saying that they were dreaming of the preban cans as they slept.   The ban is now just over 3 years old, and the bigger consumers have been wanting a the preban nozzles for 2 or more years.

Stop buying the walmart cans.  Go on, save up, and get the NATO cans.  You will save money in the long run.

that's what i had heard, but didn't have any confirmation. i've been checking mom & pop hardware stores to no avail. one would think that if enough consumers hated one product and wanted another the manufacturer would produce it (supply & demand). until i can drop the coin on the snazzy ones i'll check out some garage sales.

thank you for the info nonetheless.
Link Posted: 5/4/2011 1:32:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By hootch13:

that's what i had heard, but didn't have any confirmation. i've been checking mom & pop hardware stores to no avail. one would think that if enough consumers hated one product and wanted another the manufacturer would produce it (supply & demand). until i can drop the coin on the snazzy ones i'll check out some garage sales.

The old nozzles got banned by law in 2008.  Now you see why I say the words preban and postban. You may demand from the supplier whatever you wish, but the suppliers have consistently voted with their feet to not go to jail for selling a fuel nozzle.  

Link Posted: 5/4/2011 2:21:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By TVLL62CAL:

Bummer....
Link Posted: 5/4/2011 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#42]

The old nozzles got banned by law in 2008.  Now you see why I say the words preban and postban. You may demand from the supplier whatever you wish, but the suppliers have consistently voted with their feet to not go to jail for selling a fuel nozzle.  

now i see; it's actually against the law. i was under the impression it was just a save-the-whales, hug-a-tree, "we care about the environment so we're not going to make them" ban.

for my next dumb question of the day (which i think i know the answer to), why does the .gov give .02 about gas can nozzles?
Link Posted: 5/4/2011 3:04:33 PM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By wingnutx:

Originally Posted By dugedug:

Great deal on the gaskets.

DO charges $10 per 4.

Yeah, I ordered some spare gaskets while I was at it. The cans should show up in the next day or two.
Link Posted: 5/4/2011 3:56:31 PM EDT
[#44]

now i see; it's actually against the law. i was under the impression it was just a save-the-whales, hug-a-tree, "we care about the environment so we're not going to make them" ban.

for my next dumb question of the day (which i think i know the answer to), why does the .gov give .02 about gas can nozzles?

This thread, Page 1, First post, 5th Quetstion:
Why did the government do this?
Answer: By product of environmental regulation and law happy lawmakers. The old style cans were said to leak quite a bit when you attempted to pour them. There was some sloshing involved. The CARB complaint cans are known to leak/slosh just as much as the MFCs and now you are stuck with a crappy can. Government at it's finest.

IMHO Some person in the California Air Research Board needed to find a pollution source in order to justify their job.
Link Posted: 5/4/2011 5:06:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hootch13] [#45]

This thread, Page 1, First post, 5th Quetstion:
Why did the government do this?
Answer: By product of environmental regulation and law happy lawmakers. The old style cans were said to leak quite a bit when you attempted to pour them. There was some sloshing involved. The CARB complaint cans are known to leak/slosh just as much as the MFCs and now you are stuck with a crappy can. Government at it's finest.

IMHO Some person in the California Air Research Board needed to find a pollution source in order to justify their job.

RIF i guess. so b/c of some hippy law-maker in the communist state of california i now have FUBAR gas can nozzles. thanks again for the explanation
Link Posted: 5/4/2011 5:26:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By KimberTLE45:

Bummer....

Tell me about it, they had a better price than DO..but after getting that order cancellation today I HAD to buy them at DO
Link Posted: 5/4/2011 6:28:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By KimberTLE45:

Bummer....

Tell me about it, they had a better price than DO..but after getting that order cancellation today I HAD to buy them at DO

What was their explanation? It clearly says on their site that they'll ship..
Link Posted: 5/4/2011 9:43:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Interesting, BP is still showing all of the cans in stock.  I'd like to know what the story behind the canceled shipment is.

On another note, Swiss Army shipped my Nato cans today.  I should have them Friday.
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 10:52:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Robby9:
Interesting, BP is still showing all of the cans in stock.  I'd like to know what the story behind the canceled shipment is.

On another note, Swiss Army shipped my Nato cans today.  I should have them Friday.

Hello Jeffrey,

We received your order for a NATO jerry can this morning. Unfortunately, it looks like these cans have been outlawed in the US, and we have been ordered by the C.A.R.B to stop selling them. I apologize for the error with this, we are working on having our web people take this off the site. Your order has been canceled, and the credit card transaction voided. Again, sorry for the trouble with this.

For the NATO cans, we can only sell the seals to repair them, and the spouts for them.

If you'd like, we do offer the Blitz can, which is still an all metal can, with a plastic approved spout. I don't believe these are on the site just yet, but you can call us up to order them with our salesmen. They still fit in the 20L carriers that we sell.

Thanks for trying us, I wish we could have sold you the NATO can, but it looks like they're just too nice to be allowed in the government's eyes.

––
Kenny Goodstein
Catalog Design & eBay Sales
British Pacific, Ltd.
(800)-554-4133 Ext. 125
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 5:14:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Thanks for posting that email. It looks like BP is permanently off the list.

Page / 38
Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 3 of 38)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top