Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2011 3:56:07 PM EDT
Hi guys.

I suspect that many of us stockpile various items.  .22 Long Rifle ammunition is one of those commodities that seems to lend itself to such stockpiling.  It's reasonably cheap, its versatile, and its of great use.  If you are anything like me you end up buying a bulk box or two on a relativley frequent basis.  One box here, two boxes there, another couple boxes somewhere else and you can end up with quite a bit of this stuff on hand.

I tend to buy this stuff on the basis of economy.  I do buy quality .22 for specific uses, but I often purchase 'whatever is cheapest' from CCI, Winchester, Federal or Remington for long term stockpiles, blasting ammo, general plinking and possible future use as a trade commodity.  It all has its own role.  It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to use Eley Super Match ammo or CCI Velocitors for a 400 round plinking session shooting stumps, pine cones and targets of opportunity when bulk pack rem or Fed .22's are half the price.  While some is more accurate than others, it all (generally) works pretty well.

Not long ago I picked up several boxes of gray boxed Winchester Xpert HV .22 LR ammo.  It's packed 500 per cardboard bulk pack, and supposedly drives a 36 grain hollowpoint to 1280 fps.  I have not chronoed this so I cannot verify the accuracy of this claim.

I do know this:  This ammo will not reliably cycle many of my firearms.  It does fire reliably but it lacks the sufficient energy to fully cycle my Ruger .22/45 (which fires and feeds EVERYTHING) and my Kimber .22 conversion slide on a Kimber TLE 1911.  Each time I squeeze the trigger the round fires, the slide moves reward somewhat but not enough to eject the empty (or strip a new round from the magazine).  It's classic low-energy short recoil.  For what its worth 20 rounds through the Ruger resulted in 20 short stroke failures, and 20 rounds through the Kimber resulted in 20 more short stroke failures.  These firearms have zero failures with other ammo.  For what its worth the recoil also seems 'light'.  I strongly suspect these rounds are not moving anywhere near the advertised 1280 fps.  The do reliably function and feed a Mossberg Plinkster semi, and of course there are no issues with a variety of bolt, lever and break action .22's.

In any case be advised:  This ammo cannot be recommended.

Frozenny

Link Posted: 1/20/2011 4:34:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the review! have you tried the CCI TAC 22lr yet?
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 5:09:31 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 Frozenny.

I bought a box of Xpert .22s several years ago and haven't used it up after several range sessions.  It doesn't shoot worth spit in my Winchester 9422 or my Ruger 10/22.  It caused so much fouling that it gummed up my S&W Model 18 and my Ruger Single Six.  It is by far the worst American made ammo I've shot.  The only ammo I've tried that was worse was some grungy verdigris-encrusted Pakistani .303 British Mk.VII Ball that I got with my first Lee-Enfield back in 1985.

AFAIC, I rely on CCI .22 rimfire for serious work.  Federal bulk packs seem OK for plinking.
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I concur.  The only thing it is good for is to give to a friend with a bolt gun.  One who isn't concerned about accuracy.  And one who isn't really a very good friend anyway
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 6:36:20 PM EDT
[#4]
wow. thanks for the review. i am going to go grab a box i was about to order a case
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#5]
If you think it's that bad send it my way and I'll swap you some Remington Golden bullets for it.

Should tell you my regard for Golden Bullets..
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 7:46:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree.  I wont' shoot them in rifles for fear of squibs.  My favorites to stockpile are CCI standard velocity for short range accuracy, Minimags for 200-400 yards, and stingers for fun though they are fairly expensive.  Some other fun ones to have around are CCI CB longs for the lever action/bolt action or the 10/22 if you manually cycle them.  

I am wondering if the CCI tactical ones are just re-badged CCI mini mags.
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I've given up on all the bulk box 22's.  I stock the CCI Mini mags for all of my regular 22's and Remington Sub-Sonic for the suppressed stuff.

ETA,  I still have all of the bulk box stuff I bought a few years ago.  I figure it will make good barter or hand-outs.
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I have several AR's in .22, as well as pistols and rifles. I learned long ago to just bite the bullet and stock up on CCI's
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 9:01:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Winchester is my least favorite, commonly available rimfire ammunition.

I agree; you have to personally try rimfire ammo in YOUR firearm before buying a bunch to set back.

Link Posted: 1/21/2011 9:11:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought my wife one of those Henry .22LR rifles to eat the 10k in Winchester that I have. My 10/22 and AR 22LR conversion choke on it. I buy federal bulk packs for the AR, and the Federal automatch bulk packs for my Browning Buckmark. I buy the Fed Gold Medal Match subsonic for my Walther P22 with a can.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 6:47:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

My experience with this ammo has been just the opposite. I really like the stuff and I've recommended it here at the SF more than once.  The accuracy I've experienced has been more than adequate and it cycles my 10/22's, AR conversions and S&W422, plus I've found it to be the single-best killing round for .22LR .

Of course, YMMV.

Yankee43
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 6:52:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My experience with this ammo has been just the opposite. I really like the stuff and I've recommended it here at the SF more than once.  The accuracy I've experienced has been more than adequate and it cycles my 10/22's, AR conversions and S&W422, plus I've found it to be the single-best killing round for .22LR .

Of course, YMMV.

Yankee43

If it works for you, great. That ammo gummed up my 10/22 and fed poorly.  The one animal I shot with it was a rabid raccoon.  5 or 6 thoracic hits from my Winchester 9422XTR (24" barrel) from about 10 yards.  I was less than impressed.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top