User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone here using Advair 250/50 Discus?
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 10:47:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I have/had really bad asthma my whole life. I've more or less grown out of it I believe or maybe controlling my allergies with claritin has helped to control most of my out breaks of severely restricted breathing. I have taken everything under the sun that's prescription for years but for the past 10yrs been using nothing more than Primatene mist and cleriton D. Everything is under the most control it's been throughout my life. Have a huge stock of Prim Mist on hand and each one last me a year or more which is even better.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 12:17:56 AM EDT
[#3]
The ONLY thing that I know of that would reliably work in this situation are the powdered capsules. I myself have tried 10 year old caplets which still worked fine for me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 12:49:36 AM EDT
[#4]
The only things I know of that are suitable substitutes for albuterol inhalers would be primatene mist and caffeine.

Keep in mind Primatene is a useful addition to any med kit even if not for yourself. The Epinephrine is key here.

I'm lucky to get my albuterol from the VA and get about 4 inhalers at a time, so I've got a good stockpile and one in every med kit / vehicle. That's the way it should be IMO as I would hate to need and not have.

Your best bet would to ween off of them as much as possible and stretch out any given prescription to get a few extras to stockpile here and there. That is, if you can't find a doc you can convince for more than 1 script at a time.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 1:12:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Hawk the Advair has been discussed here. I feel it only works well for people who will exercise everyday. It tends to cause weight gain and other more serious side effects that in my opinion are only offset by a descent cardio routine. It also seems to have a mild steriod effect on your muscles as in no muscle atrophy when not working out the muscle.  In my opinon it doese more harm than good for people who can't or won't exercise.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 4:03:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Tag

I was diagnosed with mild asthma a few years ago.  This might explain my hatred for running.  I have never been a strong runner, I seem to always be out of breath while running, although I have passed the Army PT test.

Both my daughter have had problems as well.  We don't need to use meds frequently but I have several inhalers and two nebulizers staged at various locations, (home, office, school, car).  

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 6:45:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Hawk the Advair has been discussed here. I feel it only works well for people who will exercise everyday. It tends to cause weight gain and other more serious side effects that in my opinion are only offset by a descent cardio routine. It also seems to have a mild steriod effect on your muscles as in no muscle atrophy when not working out the muscle.  In my opinon it doese more harm than good for people who can't or won't exercise.

Curious, are your above examples due to the salmeterol or to fluticasone ingredient?

My doctor recently tried me on Advair and it did nothing for me. I get much better results from Qvar and Serevent.

Still looking to see if any forum members use Advair 250/50...

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 7:28:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I did try advair this summer because my PCP really wanted me to try it.   I started coughing a lot more and my peak flow dropped.  

Switched back to Flovent 220mcg 2 puffs twice daily which I have been on for 6+ years and works great for me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 9:38:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What are the exact symptoms of your condition? Is it asthma? I know there is a form of inhaler out there that is nebulized. Do you ever use a nebulizer? I am a P1 Pharmacy student in my second semester. If I knew a little more, I might be able to come up with something OTC, but I would have to do some research.

Disclaimer: Of course, this is simply for discussion purposes only and any information containted in this thread is not intended to treat, diagnose, or render medical advice in place of your primary care provider. Please check with your Doctor before following any advice in this thread. Void where prohibited. YMMV

The product to use in a nebulizer is called albuterol sulfate.

You can get it prepackaged in packaging like this:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:q0dRPnChkFMbiM:http://www.rfaas.org/images/albuterol.jpg&t=1

Those are usually 2.5 milligrams.  One puff on a MDI is what, 90 micrograms?

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top