Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/11/2011 5:58:04 PM EDT
I would really like to buy a very high quality Kerosene heater. My sister has one that doesn't seem to stink much, but I haven't been around it much. I have 2 dyno glo's that are okay, but way to stinky for inside the house use. I can use them in an emergency, but I would much, much rather run the two Buddy heaters on propane.

Aren't there brands or types that reburn or catalyze the fumes?

What brands should I be looking at? I would like to stick with the round versions if possible.  

My amish friend told me about a K-1 that costs $5 a gallon and burns super clean. In this instance, I am not using it for regular heat so cost is not an issue. I want something that I can use and not gag.
Link Posted: 1/11/2011 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#1]
You might try www.endtimesreport.com. They seem to have a bunch of info on kerosene heaters,stoves, and lamps.
Link Posted: 1/11/2011 6:34:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Toyotomi Double Clean.

But you better have a FAT wallet. They come up on ebay now and again.

http://www.toyotomi.jp/english/products/kerosene_h/double.html

Note these are available retail in JAPAN. You can thank our stupid populace and the lawyers for them not being sold new here.

But search Toyotomi on ebay and you will find one used, some are very nice.

Not this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Robeson-Kleen-Burn-II-Double-Clean-Kerosene-Heater-TOYO-/380300958500?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588bb41b24
Link Posted: 1/11/2011 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#3]
hthttp://www.toyotomi.jp/english/products/kerosene_h/index.htmltp://

Note the Kero Sun cooker at the bottom of page.
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 4:57:57 PM EDT
[#4]
UPDATE!!!

I talked to an Amish friend a while ago about what he used in his oil lamps and lanterns. He told me he just bought some very expensive Kerosene that burns very, very clean in his lamps. He said it burn cleaner than anything he ever tried in his Kerosene heater. It cost him $5 a gallon so it was not cheap at all. He said you could burn a flame twice as high as normal in an oil lamp with no smoke.

Regular pump grade Kerosene in this area costs $3.69 in this area and it burns so damn stinky I cannot use it at all. Having an option that works that does not stink to high heaven is what I have been looking for. Honestly, when I was a kid, we burned kerosene in a little heater for months at a time and it never stunk much at all. There is a hell of a difference between K-1 now and then.

My friend graciously agreed to let me buy 5 gallons off of him. I wanted to give him an extra dollar a gallon for his trouble, but he would not hear of it. (I slipped him a couple extra bucks in the dark ) I noticed while we were pouring it that it had almost no smell. The top of the barrel had the word Kensol-30 in big letters on it.

I did not look up Kensol-30 on google until after I put it into my dyna glo kerosene heater and fired it up. Unbelievable. No smell. Nothing. Not a hint of burning anything. It is burning as brightly as I have ever seen it and cleaner than any K-1 I have ever seen.

Kensol-30 is described by the American Refining Group as regular mineral spirits.

TJ has mentioned burning mineral spirits a long time ago if my memory serves me right. Unless you guys can come up with a down side I will be buying a barrel of this stuff next month .  I am so happy I can finally use my kerosene heaters in the house. Well, one of them since its enough to keep the house livable by itself.
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 5:13:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Mineral spirits are derived from coal, and was commonly called "coal oil" back home.  It's now called 'deodorized mineral spirits" and is available at any hardware store.

The old K1 was odorless, the new stuff smells like refinery waste.

Ops
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 5:35:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Batman ,....................

I would look real close at that.  I am not sure but it looks like paint thinner?

""

http://www.amref.com/Products/Kensol-Naphthas.aspx

http://snipurl.com/1tsp8p
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I would look real close at that.  I am not sure but it looks like paint thinner?

""

Kensol 30 is regular mineral spirits according the link, which is the exact same website I looked it up on. It is used as paint thinner, but the words paint thinner cover a lot more than just one thing.

This stuff does not smell much at all. Its hard to smell when pouring. Paint thinner you buy at the store smells awful.

I am going to warn my Amish friend about the low flash point when I go up to the farm to work out. It would be a good idea for him not to use it once the temperatures get really, really hot. I only need it in the winter to heat the house and for lighting on occasion.
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 5:50:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

""

Kensol 30 is regular mineral spirits according the link, which is the exact same website I looked it up on. It is used as paint thinner, but the words paint thinner cover a lot more than just one thing.

This stuff does not smell much at all. Its hard to smell when pouring. Paint thinner you buy at the store smells awful.

Awesome let me know if it works,  I would also check the flash points etc............If it works I'll take 50 gal.
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Great minds and junk ya got me on the edit
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

""

Awesome let me know if it works,  I would also check the flash points etc............If it works I'll take 50 gal.

The flash point in the specs on that website is 105*. Pretty low. I am going to have to pay attention to it. I will check the specs from the company that is selling it to be sure.
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 5:52:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes, Old timers have been using mineral spirits in lamps for well a 100 years and then somne, however if you ever watched the old westerns where the cowboy throws the lantern then it explodes setting the cabin on fire, THAT's MINERAL SPIRITS or as Ops posted coal oil.  Yes, mineral spirits is better known as "Paint Thinner".  

Its specific gravity is 80 or slightly under, so way less than kerosene or even liquid paraffin, its flash point is 110 degrees compared to 150 of kerosene and a good 15 degees  below lantern manufacturer recommendations. and last but not least despite its smell is much better,  it gives off way more actual noxious fumes.

I have many fuels I keep around for multiple jobs and tasks including mineral spirits, better known as paint thinner, but its not a first choice for a lantern and definitely not a heater.  If I did use it or when I do, I do so outdoors only and where I hold liquid paraffin to a maximum 5/8ths flat wick, I hold mineral spirits to a maximum 1/2" flat wick.  That's due to that lower specific gravity.  

You have way more potential of fires or kabooms with mineral spirits.  Because of that low flash point and specific gravity, you have way more fumes so more potential for kaboom especially if you don't vent well before lighting and knock the lamp/stove over burning your house down.  Where a match will barely light kerosene, paint thinner is just a hair less volatile than gasoline.  Though the smell is really low or even pleasant, if you have a breathing problem, you will be short of breath from the fumes in no time.  The way it feels and leaves a taste over night reminds me of the old Coleman fuel heaters which were taken off the market for all the reasons I've posted in this post.  

Yes when discussing alternate fuels, historically one should not leave mineral spirits out of the discussion but really its not the best choice especially from a safety standpoint.

If you bought some, I'd research the manufacturer rated specific gravity and flash point.  Lower than 85 and flash point lower than 124, I'd set it back for emergency use only or outdoor use.  

Tj

American Refining specifications

This gives a gravity of 50 to 52, but I am not sure its the same specification you are talking about.

it is interesting that Amish people have been using this for a long, long time with good results. Not saying you are wrong by any means. I just want to clearly understand the down side since the up side has been huge.

just to clear things up. This is very low odor mineral spirits. This is not the crap you buy at walmart to clean your paint brushes. Not even close in the odor.

Wikipedia has the flash point of kerosene at 100 to 150 degrees. Not sure why the huge variance.
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 6:05:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 6:09:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, Old timers have been using mineral spirits in lamps for well a 100 years and then somne, however if you ever watched the old westerns where the cowboy throws the lantern then it explodes setting the cabin on fire, THAT's MINERAL SPIRITS or as Ops posted coal oil.  Yes, mineral spirits is better known as "Paint Thinner".  

Its specific gravity is 80 or slightly under, so way less than kerosene or even liquid paraffin, its flash point is 110 degrees compared to 150 of kerosene and a good 15 degees  below lantern manufacturer recommendations. and last but not least despite its smell is much better,  it gives off way more actual noxious fumes.

I have many fuels I keep around for multiple jobs and tasks including mineral spirits, better known as paint thinner, but its not a first choice for a lantern and definitely not a heater.  If I did use it or when I do, I do so outdoors only and where I hold liquid paraffin to a maximum 5/8ths flat wick, I hold mineral spirits to a maximum 1/2" flat wick.  That's due to that lower specific gravity.  

You have way more potential of fires or kabooms with mineral spirits.  Because of that low flash point and specific gravity, you have way more fumes so more potential for kaboom especially if you don't vent well before lighting and knock the lamp/stove over burning your house down.  Where a match will barely light kerosene, paint thinner is just a hair less volatile than gasoline.  Though the smell is really low or even pleasant, if you have a breathing problem, you will be short of breath from the fumes in no time.  The way it feels and leaves a taste over night reminds me of the old Coleman fuel heaters which were taken off the market for all the reasons I've posted in this post.  

Yes when discussing alternate fuels, historically one should not leave mineral spirits out of the discussion but really its not the best choice especially from a safety standpoint.

If you bought some, I'd research the manufacturer rated specific gravity and flash point.  Lower than 85 and flash point lower than 124, I'd set it back for emergency use only or outdoor use.  

Tj

This gives a gravity of 50 to 52, but I am not sure its the same specification you are talking about.

it is interesting that Amish people have been using this for a long, long time with good results. Not saying you are wrong by any means. I just want to clearly understand the down side since the up side has been huge.

If that's what you have, that's really not even mineral spirits but NAPTHA basically Coleman fuel.  Way way bad in wick lamps and heaters, major potential for kaboom.  That specific gravity extremely lower and flash point 105 degrees way lower than classic paint thinner.  

Classic mineral spirits is around 79/80 at 60 degrees and a flash point of 110 to 115 degrees.  You get lower than that, you are more into the Naphtha category.  

Just as a side bar, that would probably make one very fair cook stove fuel.  Lamp, lantern, or kerosene heater, nope way to light and too low a flash point.

If somebody is burning that, they've either been very lucky, very careful, or you got your specs mixed up.

Tj

The Kensol 10 is supposed to be white gas and a gravity of 68. I can't tell you what is up with that.  Apparently there are lots of very lucky people around.

They are also calling it Stoddard Solvent if that means anything to you.

ETA: the specific gravity is 77 with a 105* flash point.  Right now the only draw back is the low minimum flash point. Its pretty darn close to 80 SG.
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 6:14:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 6:30:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tj

If that's what you have, that's really not even mineral spirits but NAPTHA basically Coleman fuel.  Way way bad in wick lamps and heaters, major potential for kaboom.  That specific gravity extremely lower and flash point 105 degrees way lower than classic paint thinner.  

Classic mineral spirits is around 79/80 at 60 degrees and a flash point of 110 to 115 degrees.  You get lower than that, you are more into the Naphtha category.  

Just as a side bar, that would probably make one very fair cook stove fuel.  Lamp, lantern, or kerosene heater, nope way to light and too low a flash point.

If somebody is burning that, they've either been very lucky, very careful, or you got your specs mixed up.

Tj

The Kensol 10 is supposed to be white gas and a gravity of 68. I can't tell you what is up with that.  Apparently there are lots of very lucky people around.

ETA: the specific gravity is 77 with a 105* flash point.  Right now the only draw back is the low minimum flash point. Its pretty darn close to 80 SG.

I looked up and posted the MSDS link for Stabil abt a year ago and the main ingredient was Stoddard Solvent.

Link Posted: 1/12/2011 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
BTW, as an adder to this topic.

You put the same effort you did in learning those lamps you have into your kerosene heater, you'll cut that fume smell way way down.  

Its a matter of understanding that cage needs to be hot to work and that flame height not maximum but nice and even.

Hints on limiting fumes are light it outdoors but remember to wait till that cage gets real hot, up to temperature, before you move it indoors.

Once you light a heater, keep it lit, fuel it in place flame going.  Fill to the gauge not sight so you don't over fill as the syphon drains the tube.  Hold a rag over the tip as you remove the shypon from the stove.  

Once you find your spot on that wick, don't mess with it.  Every time you adjust the wick, it creates fumes.  

I actually get more fume smells from my lanterns and lamps than my kerosene heaters, which is why I'm such a liquid paraffin fan.  

You'll get it.  Just stay on it and use the same analytical thinking you did on those lamps you have.  I didn't post much in that thread because you were getting there just fine on your own.  

Tj

I fought with my 3 kerosene heaters for years. Nothing would really make them run well. Lighting them outside with the quality of kerosene we have here has been totally unsuccessful. They just plain stink, even after they are quite hot. I quit using them at our machine shops because of the head aches that they caused.
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 6:36:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tj

Tj

If those are the actual numbers, yes its a light mineral spirit.  Typical would be a specific gravity of 79.    

Its still a problem as far as being the ideal fuel for lamps or lanterns and me personally would never put it in kerosene heater unless the heater was specifically designed for it.

The concern I have is exactly the old westerns and the issues they had.  They're a Molotov Cocktail burning in your house.  It was most likely what was in Mrs. O'Leary's lantern the cow kicked over and burned Chicago to the ground.  

BTW, Its going to be cold here tonight so were burning two lamps right now as I type this.

BTW2, makes one hell of a charcoal lighter fluid.  Its a great solvent that's a good replacement for both turpentine and gas.  I keep a couple gallons around all the time.  

Tj

You have given me a lot to think about. I respect your opinion on this.

I am going to do some more testing with it and let my Amish friend know about the risks. I will most likely do some more run tests with the heater in the detached garage or the machine shop under close supervision.

Knowing the risks is a big part of making an informed decision. I really appreciate this place. I may end up using this fuel even with the risks. Being aware of them is really the biggest part of staying safe.
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 6:58:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I have had similar questions regarding Mineral Spirits.  Take a look at these threads and links as well:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=642085

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=641932

Link Posted: 1/12/2011 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have had similar questions regarding Mineral Spirits.  Take a look at these threads and links as well:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=642085

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=641932

Some of the links in those threads indicate the Kerosene has a flash point of 100 degrees, which is higher than that of the Mineral spirits. The specific gravity is fairly close as well.

I can see why the worry about using it indoors. I will have to do some research on using mineral thinner in kerosene heaters.
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 7:08:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I am going to do some more testing with it and let my Amish friend know about the risks. I will most likely do some more run tests with the heater in the detached garage or the machine shop under close supervision.

Knowing the risks is a big part of making an informed decision. I really appreciate this place. I may end up using this fuel even with the risks. Being aware of them is really the biggest part of staying safe.

Hey batman,

Is it possible your friend was reusing an old barrel, and had something in it other than what the barrel was labeled?  IIRC, your post said what you saw on the barrel, but you did mention that he specifically told you it was kerosene.  Just a thought, being the safety minded type that I am...

-Slice

Link Posted: 1/12/2011 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey batman,

Is it possible your friend was reusing an old barrel, and had something in it other than what the barrel was labeled?  IIRC, your post said what you saw on the barrel, but you did mention that he specifically told you it was kerosene.  Just a thought, being the safety minded type that I am...

-Slice

He told me his last barrel had that on it as well. It has no kerosene smell at all. Almost no smell period. The company charges an extra $20 if you don't bring back the barrel, so that is a must!

I am going to do some experimenting in the next couple days. I want to see if the fuel temperature rises as the heater gets warmed up. If the flash point of kerosene can be as low as 100 degrees, then I am not so sure that I need to worry about it too much.
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 10:37:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Has any one tried jet-a fuel? I have been told it is highly refined and clean kerosene. It is about the same price as kero around here. Jets have to have CLEAN fuel since they can't pull over if a filter gets clogged. Just wondering.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 1:33:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Batman,

I had some smell issues with my kerosene heater as well. I found out that cheap wicks like those sold in most of the box stores don't have enough capilary action to keep a sufficient supply of kerosene up to the burn area. I will be getting some quality wicks and report back with the results.

sf
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 2:40:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Great thread guys.  TJ, year or two ago, didn't you do an exhustive review on a bunch of oil lanterns/heaters?

I am tagging this for work but the thing I am trying to get info on is whether there is a safe indoor -overnight heating solution besides installing a wood stove/fireplace.  Wanting to avoid CO and other dangerous gases.  I was of the impression kerosene was just too risky to sleep by.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 3:37:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Great thread guys.  TJ, year or two ago, didn't you do an exhustive review on a bunch of oil lanterns/heaters?

I am tagging this for work but the thing I am trying to get info on is whether there is a safe indoor -overnight heating solution besides installing a wood stove/fireplace.  Wanting to avoid CO and other dangerous gases.  I was of the impression kerosene was just too risky to sleep by.

F-G, I think kero is one of the safest options available.

The next is a VENTED propane heater IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 4:22:12 AM EDT
[#29]
With the fact that the flash point is slightly higher than the low end of K1, and the fact that this kerosene heater snugly seals the reservoir from the flame via the wick, I am comfortable with running it.

What I am not comfortable with, after recommendations against it from multiple sources, is using it in lanterns and oil lamps. I think I will continue to stock up on lamp oil of various types.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 4:24:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 5:09:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Personally, I think you've got bad/old (contaminated) wicks if you're having a smell problem (other than when you're lighting or shutting them off).

http://www.milesstair.com/Kero_Heater_wicks.html

brand new wick. I burned it once last year after I installed it and it stunk so bad the headache lasted for days.

The heater does not burn dirty with the crappy K1 we get around here. There is no soot build up. It just stinks like fucking hell. This particular heater has had no less than 3 different wicks from 3 different manufacturers. I have 3 kerosene heaters that all stink like hell with the K1 we can buy around here.

I have even bought from 5 different sources to find k1 that doesn't suck ass. No luck.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 5:16:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personally, I think you've got bad/old (contaminated) wicks if you're having a smell problem (other than when you're lighting or shutting them off).

http://www.milesstair.com/Kero_Heater_wicks.html

brand new wick. I burned it once last year after I installed it and it stunk so bad the headache lasted for days.

The heater does not burn dirty with the crappy K1 we get around here. There is no soot build up. It just stinks like fucking hell. This particular heater has had no less than 3 different wicks from 3 different manufacturers. I have 3 kerosene heaters that all stink like hell with the K1 we can buy around here.

I have even bought from 5 different sources to find k1 that doesn't suck ass. No luck.

Might be the sulfur content.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 5:22:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 5:29:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Must just be the heater then. I'd be willing to bet we're burning the same pump K-1 (Sheetz, Speedway, circle K). I don't have a problem with it in my heater (as long as the wick is up to par).

3 different heaters and two different brands?
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 5:41:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 6:15:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Bat,

Maybe you are just extremely sensitive to the smell of kerosene heaters. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 7:53:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Are you lighting them outside and letting them warm up before you bring them into the house?  The only time mine stink is when I light them in the garage.  If I light them outside then bring it in once its warmed up it is fine.  Also I shut it down outside for the same reason.  I am thinking that you might just be very sensitive to the smell of kerosene.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 7:58:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 9:48:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Has any one tried jet-a fuel? I have been told it is highly refined and clean kerosene. It is about the same price as kero around here. Jets have to have CLEAN fuel since they can't pull over if a filter gets clogged. Just wondering.

I would be concerned about high altitude anti-foam and/or anti-gel additives which may be in it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 11:26:13 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Because of availability, we use JP-8 in our heaters at work. In fact we use it in our trucks as well.

I'm not really up on fuels, but JP-8 is kind of stinky and a lot like diesel fuel IMO.

It gives off a nice heat (I guess) but the heaters need to be serviced quite often. I'm not sure if that's because they're old and/or not used properly, or because of the JP-8 being run in them.

Link Posted: 1/13/2011 12:13:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Does ULS diesel have any formulation that would make it undesirable to use in a wick type heater? I am really trying to find something to run a convection heater on that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. My gas furnace is old and I want some standby heat. My main concern is that there are additives that would be harmful to breathe in the house.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Is fuel oil they use in furnaces cleaner or dirtier than kerosene. I have been told its very similar.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 2:15:42 PM EDT
[#44]
#2 is far "dirtier" than kerosene.  I would not use it in a kerosene heater or a lamp.

Ops
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Right now, for my kerosene heater I seem to have three choices. Give up on this type of heat, use kerosene and put up with massive headaches and sicking smell, or keep burning this mineral oil that is working phenomenally well.

Maybe I will just have to buy some more 20 lb tanks of propane for back up heat? At least that does not cause me harm.... unless it explodes.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#46]
There is a smell .

My advice ??? !! use propane .
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 2:49:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 3:08:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right now, for my kerosene heater I seem to have three choices. Give up on this type of heat, use kerosene and put up with massive headaches and sicking smell, or keep burning this mineral oil that is working phenomenally well.

Maybe I will just have to buy some more 20 lb tanks of propane for back up heat? At least that does not cause me harm.... unless it explodes.

I wouldn't give up yet.  Unless you have posted it and I missed it, you haven't tried blending yet.  Most kerosene heater sites recommend blending that mineral spirit with kerosene from 1 part mineral to 3 kerosene as much as 50/50 to cut odor smell.

I blend lamp fuels all the time with good results.

Tj

It can't hurt my friend.

I will try 50/50 and see how it goes with pump grade K1. If 50/50 works then I will part it up some more until I get an undesirable result. I would be very happy to use a blend. I won't mind starting and stopping  it outside, which is not necessary for 100% mineral spirits. I just want a clean burn that doesn't make me suicidal.......

I will burn up the walmart K1 in the heater since its not useful for the oil lamps, but its way cleaner than the pump crap.

ETA: I wimped out this evening. I refilled to half full with the mineral spirits and then the rest of the way with walmart kerosene. The walmart K1 is way, way, way cleaner than the pump crap, so this really isn't a test, but so far so good. Once hit empty I will refill half way with mineral spirits and the rest with pump crap and see how that goes tomorrow.

ETA2: I can tell the difference, but its totally livable. There is no chance in hell I will extinguish this in the house, but I can stand the quality of the burn. Yes, I must be extremely sensitive to the smell. Weird since I grew up with it.

ETA: 3 It is running great with half and half. It is burning noticeably hotter. Not much smell at all so far. No way am I turning it off in the house so I will have that going for me......
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 5:28:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Now I really remember why we used these when I was a kid. I got the living room/kitchen up to 80 degrees in a couple hours. It heated our entire 1000 sq ft house from one end. The bedrooms and bathroom are 70 degrees +.

I will have to use up almost everything in the tank to get a real read on the quality of the burn with the pump kerosene and mineral spirits tomorrow evening. I really hope a combination will work for me.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 5:36:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Hey B-M,  maybe the smell in your heaters is from rodent droppings and body fluids?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top