Link Posted: 12/21/2010 4:44:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My walmart had the following:

In the "Candle" section:

Table type: "Florasense" brand lamps with a 3/4" wick.  Clear glass base with a nice heavier than normal chimney : $6.97

Hurricane Type #1: Small black hurricane style, cold blast, appeared to be a 3/8" wick:  $5.97

Single 7/8" wick: $0.97

Replacement burner head (with wick) : $1.47

Florasense oil, 64 oz - $4.97

In the "Camping" section:

Hurricane Type #2:  Red, larger than #1, 1/2" wick, cold blast type. $4.97  (both there were broken or I'd have gotten them, also had 5 packs of 1/2" wick for $2)

Meijer had lamps and wicks too, but they were twice the price for Lamplight brand (but same or inferior lamps).  However, 3/4" wicks were $1.09 for a 3pk. They also had oil, but VERY pricey ultrapure stuff.

The lantern I am currently burning with almost no charring of the wick is the new Florasense brand. I am not sure why it is burning so beautifully. My older lamplight brand lamp is not as clean burning. It works. Just not as bright and more char. I am going to try the florasense brand wicks to see if there is a difference.

Something not many are familiar with [and never will be...] is there are different mechanisms for getting air to the burner in kero lanterns.

There are 'cold blast'  and 'hot blast' lanterns. The difference is the way the hollow supports on the sides of the lantern collect and direct air to the burner.

The hot blast is efficient and the cold blast is brighter.

That may be the reason you are seeing a difference between the regular lamp and your lantern, all else being equal, B-M.

I am working with two very similar Walmart oil lamps. Its really strange how much difference there is between them.

OK, let's get to the bottom of this...
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 4:46:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
The lantern I am currently burning with almost no charring of the wick is the new Florasense brand. I am not sure why it is burning so beautifully. My older lamplight brand lamp is not as clean burning. It works. Just not as bright and more char. I am going to try the florasense brand wicks to see if there is a difference.

Something not many are familiar with [and never will be...] is there are different mechanisms for getting air to the burner in kero lanterns.
There are 'cold blast'  and 'hot blast' lanterns. The difference is the way the hollow supports on the sides of the lantern collect and direct air to the burner.
The hot blast is efficient and the cold blast is brighter.
That may be the reason you are seeing a difference between the regular lamp and your lantern, all else being equal, B-M.

I am working with two very similar Walmart oil lamps. Its really strange how much difference there is between them.

The Lamplight brand and the Florasense brand lanterns  that I have seen in stores (Meijer and Walmart) are identical, down do the stampings; probably made by the same children in China.
FYI on the Hot vs Cold blast types....  as you can see its pretty obvious the difference (images from WT Kirkman, but hosted separately)
Cold Blast Type.

Hot Blast Type

The hot blast is more efficient as it recycles some of the previous exhaust gases (think like an EGR system) back into the combustion system.   However, there is less oxygen which can the flame more yellow and not as bright as the cold blast type.

Link Posted: 12/21/2010 5:04:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 12:17:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I picked up 3 today at Wal Mart  and 2 jugs of fuel so far so good...........................this is as bad as BRD
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 12:58:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Actually the air to fuel ratio on all lamps will be slightly different and the difference quite noticeable between different brands and types.  About anything you can think to change, changes the output, fuel, wick, trim the wick, temperature in the room, etc.  

The variety is part of the fun of it.  

As far as fine tuned instruments go, they are quite rough but then quite rough equates to maximum simple.  If you make an oil lamp complicated, a kerosene heater tower will drive you crazy.  They are exactly the same principle all the way down to the reburner.  In a heater, its the cage.  In a lamp, its the top of the globe, and in a lantern the top of the lantern.

No expert here, but I do know this information to be correct. Something as simple as the wrong chimney height in an oil lamp will prevent it from burning efficiently. The chimney height needs to be correct for the altitude. I don't recall the formula (I'm sure a google search would turn it up), but at my altitude the chimney needs to be approximately 20" to get a clean burn and good light.

Link Posted: 12/21/2010 4:22:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I also recently picked up two of these lamps, 2 packs of spare wicks, and 2 half gallons of lamp oil for the same (or close enough) prices as posted above.  IIRC the lamps are "made in Chine" and the oil is made in USA (both lamp and oil are the same brand name).  I can tell you for sure that the oil is USA but the lamps are out in the shed and it is real cold out now and I may just be remembering wrong onthe lamp CoO.  Also at Walmart are Coleman "Railroad" style looking Kero lamps that I breifly looked at.  I think the were in the $5.00 range and was wondering if they would work fine on lamp oil (probibly depends on wick size?).  Anywho, I am headin there tomorrow and will look a little harder at the Coleman lamps, but any input before than would also be appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 4:26:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I also recently picked up two of these lamps, 2 packs of spare wicks, and 2 half gallons of lamp oil for the same (or close enough) prices as posted above.  IIRC the lamps are "made in Chine" and the oil is made in USA (both lamp and oil are the same brand name).  I can tell you for sure that the oil is USA but the lamps are out in the shed and it is real cold out now and I may just be remembering wrong onthe lamp CoO.  Also at Walmart are Coleman "Railroad" style looking Kero lamps that I breifly looked at.  I think the were in the $5.00 range and was wondering if they would work fine on lamp oil (probibly depends on wick size?).  Anywho, I am headin there tomorrow and will look a little harder at the Coleman lamps, but any input before than would also be appreciated.

They will work on the lamp oil sold next to them or Kerosene.

Link Posted: 12/21/2010 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The "rail road" style lanterns suck. They leak according to nearly every single person I have talked to that tried one. The regular lamps are great for the money.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The "rail road" style lanterns suck. They leak according to nearly every single person I have talked to that tried one. The regular lamps are great for the money.

Which ones are the "rail road" type?

Link Posted: 12/21/2010 5:03:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Went to the other WW in the area. The two differences I can see between the Florasense lamp and the Lamplight lamp are appearance things. The Lamplight brand ones have silver/chrome looking metal and opaque glass oil holder and the Forasense have brass looking metal and clear glass oil holder. Oh, and the lamplight spare wicks have 3 in them for 1.37 whereas the Florasense ones have a single for 97 cents. (?!) Interestingly, the spare burner from Lamplight is brass colored. (double ?!)

I'm guessing there isn't any difference in performance. If anybody knows for sure, it would be helpful to know since I can get either type here.

Link Posted: 12/21/2010 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Which ones are the "rail road" type?

The deitz look alikes.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 5:13:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Went to the other WW in the area. The two differences I can see between the Florasense lamp and the Lamplight lamp are appearance things. The Lamplight brand ones have silver/chrome looking metal and opaque glass oil holder and the Forasense have brass looking metal and clear glass oil holder. Oh, and the lamplight spare wicks have 3 in them for 1.37 whereas the Florasense ones have a single for 97 cents. (?!) Interestingly, the spare burner from Lamplight is brass colored. (double ?!)

I'm guessing there isn't any difference in performance. If anybody knows for sure, it would be helpful to know since I can get either type here.

Check my thread about oil lamps and you will find out there is a very surprising difference in performance. I still have to write it up, but I was shocked.

The lamplight in this post looks much better than mine. Not idea, but better.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I cant find any of these lamps on walmart.com
you would think they would list them
good idea on these kerosene lamps, never got anything like this. I do have whole house gen, but this would be a quiet alternative for night
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 6:39:03 PM EDT
[#14]
DURN!

I tried to get my cheepy oil lamps from Wally World tonight and was bummed that they only had ONE left. I put it in the cart then snagged a spare wick for $.97. I was hating that they were sold out of both the 1/2 gal. & 1 gal. of lamp oil when my wife noticed that the globe was broken on the lamp! grrrrrrrr

One of the assistant mgrs is a buddy, AND a customer of mine, I plan to hunt him down ASAP and let him know that they need to stock up again. (He's a big time hunter and I order a lot of goodies for him, he's also got his Weatherby on pawn with me right now, so I may so may hold it as hostage as well.....)
I'll be sure to give him all kinds of grief until he brings some more in!

I went ahead and bought one of their cheezy lanterns for $5 that was right beside the oil lamps, but boy is it weenie. I'm thinking those Dietz lanterns at Lehmans for $10 are prolly a much better value. I need to order some of those before they go back up to $15!

What surprised me most was the lamp oil was selling for ~$5/gal~ (if they had it....) and the K-1 was selling for $21/2.5 gal. What's up with that??????
I'd think lamp oil would be higher $ than K-1...... go figure.......
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 6:55:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check my thread about oil lamps and you will find out there is a very surprising difference in performance. I still have to write it up, but I was shocked.

The lamplight in this post looks much better than mine. Not idea, but better.

I checked the other thread. Yep, the "old" lamp in your post does not look anything like the Lamplight lamp I saw tonight (same as OP). The oil reservoirs on both looked to be the same size in terms of height and diameter, just one had frosted glass with a design (Lamplight) and the other (Florasense) had clear, lobed glass. The "burners" had the same dimensions as well, best I could tell and as I said, the "replacement" Lamplight burners looked identical to the Florasense burners (which were different than the ones in the Lamplight lamps themselves). I may have to take one for the team and do the ARFCOM get both...
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 2:59:44 AM EDT
[#16]
snip Quoted:
Quoted:
...Also at Walmart are  "Railroad" style looking Kero lamps...

My son found that out.  He bought two of the red lanterns last summer, filled them a couple weekends ago and they leaked to damn near empty.  He went to the aisle where the lamps & candles were sold and picked up two of the black lanterns.  They seem to not leak!

FWIW––Years ago, we broke a chimney on one of our antique coal oil lamps.  K-Mart had chimneys and wicks.  I picked up a spare wick for each lamp and put them inside the base.  I just checked and they are still there.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 4:49:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
DURN!

I tried to get my cheepy oil lamps from Wally World tonight and was bummed that they only had ONE left. I put it in the cart then snagged a spare wick for $.97. I was hating that they were sold out of both the 1/2 gal. & 1 gal. of lamp oil when my wife noticed that the globe was broken on the lamp! grrrrrrrr

One of the assistant mgrs is a buddy, AND a customer of mine, I plan to hunt him down ASAP and let him know that they need to stock up again. (He's a big time hunter and I order a lot of goodies for him, he's also got his Weatherby on pawn with me right now, so I may so may hold it as hostage as well.....)
I'll be sure to give him all kinds of grief until he brings some more in!

I went ahead and bought one of their cheezy lanterns for $5 that was right beside the oil lamps, but boy is it weenie. I'm thinking those Dietz lanterns at Lehmans for $10 are prolly a much better value. I need to order some of those before they go back up to $15!

What surprised me most was the lamp oil was selling for ~$5/gal~ (if they had it....) and the K-1 was selling for $21/2.5 gal. What's up with that??????
I'd think lamp oil would be higher $ than K-1...... go figure.......

If you look again it was most likely $5 for a half gallon.  They also at least at our Walmart have quarts that were $4 each.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 4:52:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
snip Quoted:
Quoted:

My son found that out.  He bought two of the red lanterns last summer, filled them a couple weekends ago and they leaked to damn near empty.  He went to the aisle where the lamps & candles were sold and picked up two of the black lanterns.  They seem to not leak!

FWIW––Years ago, we broke a chimney on one of our antique coal oil lamps.  K-Mart had chimneys and wicks.  I picked up a spare wick for each lamp and put them inside the base.  I just checked and they are still there.

If they are just leaking around the seams you can take some Marine spar varnish and put some in the tank.  It will coat the seams.  Let it dry for a week and you should be good to go.  I got this off of lanternnet.com and have used it on one of my old Dietz that was leaking.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 7:33:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Ok, so jury says the Coleman "railroad" lanterns are junk, good to know.  FWIW I have had mostly very good experiences with Coleman products so I was hopeful on these lanterns, however I did have a Coleman camp stove that was junk so clearly they have their share of crap.

Also, if you are having trouble finding the lamps in your local store, dont immediatly get discouraged that they dont have them.  The ones I bought were at the end of an isle across from the home entertainment section around nothing remotly related lighting, home furnishings, or anything else that would logicly compliment an oil lamp.  I would say ask an employee if it were any other retailer, but in my experience asking a WM employee anything is just a waste of time.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 12:48:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought a few of the Walmart cheap oil lamps some time ago, prompted by another such topic here. They've worked fine, a couple power outages, a couple evenings on the patio. No problems yet.  They're of the type on the right side of the following picture.  I haven't read up enough to use the correct terminology for their design or what original type they copy.  Are these the same lamps being offered for sale now?

The other lamp pictured are some antiques, we have a pair of them, recovered from a rattletrap shed full of junk that was on some mountain property we bought ~10yrs ago. They have a capacious glass bowl, a large wick (something like 1") and some nice metal swing-out wall brackets / sconces. No glass for them though. Was only one, the top broken off. It was the classic globular / pear shap, open ay the top. I need to do some shopping for some suitable replacements.
I misremembered the spike / mounting arrangement. Was recalling the other end of the wall bracket, a spike that goes into the wall attachment point. The bracket just cradles the bowl.

Not the ideal things for earthquake country, too fragile. But nice to have and use in a non-emergency. We've used cintronella / torch oil in them outdoors.

eta that green soup in the background is my retracting pool cover, buried under some 5-6" of rain we've had here in my part of SoCal, in the last 5days. Still pissing down today. The cover was already filthy / needing cleaning before the rains came. Weather should break tomorrow and I'll throw a sump pump on there and scrub / drain it off.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 3:41:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I bought a few of the Walmart cheap oil lamps some time ago, prompted by another such topic here. They've worked fine, a couple power outages, a couple evenings on the patio. No problems yet.  They're of the type on the right side of the following picture.  I haven't read up enough to use the correct terminology for their design or what original type they copy.  Are these the same lamps being offered for sale now?

The other lamp pictured are some antiques, we have a pair of them, recovered from a rattletrap shed full of junk that was on some mountain property we bought ~10yrs ago. They have a capacious glass bowl, a large wick (something like 1") and some nice metal swing-out wall brackets / sconces. No glass for them though. Was only one, the top broken off. It was the classic globular / pear shap, open ay the top. I need to do some shopping for some suitable replacements.
I misremembered the spike / mounting arrangement. Was recalling the other end of the wall bracket, a spike that goes into the wall attachment point. The bracket just cradles the bowl.

Not the ideal things for earthquake country, too fragile. But nice to have and use in a non-emergency. We've used cintronella / torch oil in them outdoors.

http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab319/richr1/oillamps.jpg

eta that green soup in the background is my retracting pool cover, buried under some 5-6" of rain we've had here in my part of SoCal, in the last 5days. Still pissing down today. The cover was already filthy / needing cleaning before the rains came. Weather should break tomorrow and I'll throw a sump pump on there and scrub / drain it off.

You can get those globes, if that is what they are called, that will fit that lamp. Our amish stores have them. I bet a hobby lobby might have them.
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Nice thread.
I went out and bought the hurricane type lantern, half gallon of oil, and a spare wick.
Eager to try it. Liked the other lamp as well, but with some cats in and out of the house lately and me not around terribly often I didn't want to take a chance with the glass.
Link Posted: 12/24/2010 5:02:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip Quoted:
Quoted:

If they are just leaking around the seams you can take some Marine spar varnish and put some in the tank.  It will coat the seams.  Let it dry for a week and you should be good to go.  I got this off of lanternnet.com and have used it on one of my old Dietz that was leaking.

This is a great idea!  Will the interior of the reservoir need to be dried out?  Can you get the stuff at Lowes?
Link Posted: 12/24/2010 5:06:17 AM EDT
[#24]
I paid $8 at garden ridge a week ago....looks like the same lamp
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top