Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/18/2010 9:22:30 PM EDT
TJ mentioned a while back in another thread that wallyworld had a new style of oil lamp, and I finally found them (Thank you TJ!).  They just showed up as an entire endcap at my local wallyworld, so i figured I'd try some of them.  In Arfcom fashion i bought four of them and may get more.  Sorry for the crappy cellphone pics, but I was in a hurry.

Lamp as packaged:

Lamp filled:

Lamp lit:

3/4" wick:

They also had three packs of wicks with them for like a $1.89 or something like that.

I tried out two of them for the last couple of evenings, and they seem to work just fine to me.  I tried the lanterns they had in the camping section before, and the two I filled up leaked like crazy.  While the lamps might not be good for outdoors, at least they won't leak since the bottom is one piece of glass.

I also tried kerosene in one of them this evening.  It worked just fine––- except there was noticeably more smell.  It'd be ok in a pinch, but I'm going to stick with the lamp oil ($4.97 for a half gallon at wallyworld) while there are still stores to buy it from.

I know these aren't Alladins or anything, but I was actually impressed for how cheap they are.  Hopefully this'll help someone on a tight budget (like me) out with preps a little.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 9:52:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice!  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 9:57:15 PM EDT
[#2]
What section were these in? Where is the lamp oil? I've looked all over the Walmarts in my area for this stuff, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 10:09:38 PM EDT
[#3]
We keep a couple of older versions of these on wall-shelves in the kitchen as functional decorations (with a Velcro hook dot on the bottom
mated with loops on the shelves to keep them from sliding off if bumped).  They're the "go to" lights for immediate use when the power is out
for any length of time.  No hunting for candles in the drawers, no wax issues, etc.  Just grab the lighter from the counter next to them & light.

One easily provides enough light to eat; together, they illumninate the room fairly well.  They're easily portable to other rooms, as well.

No, they're not Aladdins, but they're quick, handy, relatively small, & cheap.  These get used more often than my Aladdins and other oil lamps
simply because of their handiness.

David

Tennessee Firearms Association

TFA Forum
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 10:37:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice! and nice review. Like the glass base. no-leak, can see the fuel level.  Like a time machine.

We've got a couple old / antique oil lamps, white / milk glass, decorative metal wall brackets (a spike that goes up the middle of the glass), but don't have glass for wither. Will have to break them out and do some shopping around sometime soon.
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 12:46:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Been using two of these at dinner for over a year.   Got them for the wife to show how romantic that I am......cough.  it is a prep.  Now stop in lawn a garden and get a gallon gas can to fill with lamp oil and a housewares for some matches and you are good to go for light.
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 3:17:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks!!!  Wife is forcing me back to Walmart to pick up a few more last minute stocking stuffers for the kids later this morning.  I'll make sure I grab a few to add to my preps.
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 3:39:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What section were these in? Where is the lamp oil? I've looked all over the Walmarts in my area for this stuff, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

My Wallyworld decided to not carry lamp oil, and this is in a rural area of Central Virginia.

I bought some oil from Lehman's when I bought a few of those Deitz lanterns they had on sale.
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 3:41:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Wallyworld decided to not carry lamp oil, and this is in a rural area of Central Virginia.

I bought some oil from Lehman's when I bought a few of those Deitz lanterns they had on sale.

Roanoke Valley View Wallyworld had them.....
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 3:48:19 AM EDT
[#9]
What kind of heat do they put out?
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 4:18:36 AM EDT
[#10]
What is the shelf life of lamp oil?
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 4:20:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Where are they manufactured?
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 6:50:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Last week my walmart had a spot for the lamp fuel but was all out.  Previous week I got 2 of the half gallon sizes.

They had the metal screw on top that holds the wick on sale but it seemed like it would be for the old lamps.

Have not found any new lamps but since my wally world remodeled and then changed things up for the christmas stuff everything is screwed up.

I can't even find the canning jars right now over there.

I did not look this week, just hit a food city for food stuff and lucked out with some salmon packets on closeout due to no one liking that flavor.  For half price I can handle it.

Most likely going to be made in china stuff, my two glass oil lamps from previous wally world stuff was made in china and while not astounding they work fine and do ok.  Weakest point is a 4 point holder for the globe and a thin globe but my clumsiness has not destroyed em yet.  One thing I like about older designs is they hold the globe a lot better.

Link Posted: 12/19/2010 7:18:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I wonder what other stores would sell lamp oil? Our walmart quit carrying it as well. I might have to go to hobby lobby or something of the sort to find lamp oil. The amish store would have a pretty high price on it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 7:23:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks OP.

Quoted:
Got them for the wife to show how romantic that I am......cough.  it is a prep.  Now stop in lawn a garden and get a gallon gas can to fill with lamp oil

LOL on the first part.

Will any blitz can do, or should one use the kerosene ones?

Quoted:
I can't even find the canning jars right now over there.

At my local store, canning jars are only stocked seasonally (not now). I haven't seen them carrying lamp oil for a few years- have checked at a few in Houston and no luck.

Link Posted: 12/19/2010 7:31:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I wonder what other stores would sell lamp oil? Our walmart quit carrying it as well. I might have to go to hobby lobby or something of the sort to find lamp oil. The amish store would have a pretty high price on it.

might want to check a different walmart ours has an entire display in the candle section

Link Posted: 12/19/2010 7:36:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Cabelas
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 8:23:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Home Depot and Lowe's both have lamp oil.
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 8:38:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Sometimes Tractor Supply sells those as well, at least the one in my town does.

They are good lanterns for the price.

Link Posted: 12/19/2010 8:39:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thanks. We don't have a cabela's in my area. I will probably go pick some up later.
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 8:49:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the head's up. I'll see about grabbing a couple.

My walmart had lamp oil on sale recently. Don't know how widely that applies across this nation.
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 8:57:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Great information about oil and kerosene lamps can be found here.  Recently there has been cases where kerosene isn't what it use to be - lower flashpoints in certain brands so they're saying to stay away from them.

Kerosene & Lamp Oil information

There are additives you can put into kerosene that 'takes the smell away'.  We've found cinnamon, holly berry, peppermint and spruce.  At one time I found a couple bottles of vanilla around Y2k and it's been used up since then.  I've found them at Menards, Lowes, Home Depot, Tractor supply and even once at the local Walmart.  Just never add the water based liquid potpourri smelling additives to it. It's just not the same stuff. Kero additive
this is the stuff I use  Kero-Klean treatment  I don't buy from this company since I can get the stuff locally for around $2.99 a 8oz bottle.

Link Posted: 12/19/2010 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 12:11:49 PM EDT
[#23]
My closest Walmart had one lamp, one bottle of oil and one spare pack of wick.  Grabbed all three for right around $10.  Thanks again for the heads up.
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#24]
The ashtabula walmart must have changed its policy. It had lamp oil.

I bought another walmart lamp for $6.97, two 3packs of wicks for $1.13 each, and two of the spare wick heads for $1.97 each. The lamp oil was $4.97 each half gallon. That is pretty darn expensive. I would love to find a source cheaper without having to go to kerosene. This lamp oil burns very nicely with a big flame before it smokes.

These lamps really are pretty impressive for the money. I had to bend the tabs holding the globe to get it straight and to sit all the way down. Not a big deal.
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The glass is not like the cheap lanterns, its not going to leak on you.  

This time of year, these things are great.  You get a Blue Northerner blowing through, besides the temperature drop, even heating your room, you get that chill.  A single lamp in a room will take that chill right away.  

Tj

Any tips on trimming the wick? Mine exhibits a slight point on either side of the burner. Should I put a tiny bevel on both corners?
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 5:08:10 PM EDT
[#26]
One more question. The older walmart lantern I have is not working very well. I lit it to see how it burned, but it is burning with an orange glow and very dimly. The wick was all the way above the top of the burner and it still sucked. I am wondering if the oil goes bad over time. Its not more than a year old.

I am going to trim the wick off and see if it runs better. I have lots of spares, but I may toss the oil and try the new stuff.
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Some of you guys sound like your world revolves around the whim of the stocking manager at Wally's

Quoted:

I wonder what other stores would sell lamp oil?

Link Posted: 12/19/2010 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Buy a half gallon of the lamp oil for now but stock some clear kero for SHTF.  It is less than $4 a gallon at the pump.  You are getting better than twice the amount for the same price.

Stock spare chimneys.  If you break one and dont have a spare you lamp is useless.
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Some of you guys sound like your world revolves around the whim of the stocking manager at Wally's

Quoted:
I wonder what other stores would sell lamp oil?

Wow! Your post was insightful and helpful. We don't have a lot of options here in the country.
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 6:08:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

We don't have a lot of options here in the country.

Supplies were not available before Sam came to town?

No local owner hardware stores?

Link Posted: 12/19/2010 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
We don't have a lot of options here in the country.

Supplies were not available before Sam came to town?

No local owner hardware stores?

One, who doesn't have lamp oil. Your attitude is juvenile. I have never had to shop for lamp oil before. Am I just supposed to know where to find it? I asked a simple question and you are acting like an ass. Do you have something to add to this thread other than insulting comments?
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 12/19/2010 7:34:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Look near the arts and crafts stuff where the candles are.  That's where they are in my wallyworld anyway.  They also have an endcap near the canning stuff in mine.  They went from practically nothing, to a fair stock of this stuff in a short period of time.  It looks like I'm not the only one gobbling this stuff up either.  I just bought 6 more half gallons and 4 more packs of wicks today.  I might go back and buy more lamps while I'm at it.  At these prices why not?  Someone mentioned spare globes––- They don't have those, that I can see anyway, so I'll just buy spare globes for $6.97 with spare lamps attached.LOL!!!  

This is the most lamp and lamp oil stuff I've ever seen in a wallyworld or other store for that matter.  Maybe they'll get the hint and kick the preps up a notch.  They beefed up their canning stuff this year more than I have ever seen before as well.  Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll catch the preps wave and start making regular wallyworlds across the country more like the ones in Utah????  I can dream I guess.LOL

Quoted:
What kind of heat do they put out?

I got no idea on that one.  Not a whole lot, but a little.  If I get a chance to get back to my stand I'll fetch back the puny 1k BTU Coleman heater (had no idea how little heat that was!) and compare the two.

Quoted:
What is the shelf life of lamp oil?

I'm no subject matter expert, but I'd say if you kept it sealed up so it didn't evaporate–– It should last longer than we do.  Any one know more?

Quoted:
Where are they manufactured?

Unfortunately they are made in China....  of course.....  While I'd rather it weren't so, I make do with what is available.  I want (and will eventually purchase) an Alladin, but that just ain't happenin' in the meantime.  These do work much better than most of the other Chicom crap I've owned anyway.  I have an older (20-30 year old at least) lamp that my mom gave me and these look just like it except the one my mom gave me is just brass and isn't chrome/nickel/whatever plated, and the old one has a larger glass bottom that holds more fuel.  I do wish these new ones had a larger glass base for more fuel capacity and a wider footprint, but for this price I sure ain't going to bitch too much about it.

Quoted:
The ashtabula walmart must have changed its policy. It had lamp oil.

I bought another walmart lamp for $6.97, two 3packs of wicks for $1.13 each, and two of the spare wick heads for $1.97 each. The lamp oil was $4.97 each half gallon. That is pretty darn expensive. I would love to find a source cheaper without having to go to kerosene. This lamp oil burns very nicely with a big flame before it smokes.

These lamps really are pretty impressive for the money. I had to bend the tabs holding the globe to get it straight and to sit all the way down. Not a big deal.

Thanks for the prices.  I couldn't remember the wick prices  I started to buy some spare heads, but I figured I'd probably break many more globes first (washing them in the sink).  I figured on two lamps, with two more as spares for the first two, but at these prices my hoarding genes are starting to kick in.  I'm thinking I might buy at least four more as spares for the first four...  Oh where does it ever end!

Quoted:
Any tips on trimming the wick? Mine exhibits a slight point on either side of the burner. Should I put a tiny bevel on both corners?

I'm open to suggestion as well.  I noticed the directions that came with the lamps showed flat, diamond, and double pointed.  I ended up with a double point (or whatever they called it) by accident while trimming it with scissors, and that seems to work pretty nice.  You can run the flame up about 3/4", and maybe just a smidgen over when it's good and hot, and it works real good in mine.  You have to play with the wick real gradual, or you end up smoking the globe like I did.LOL

Quoted:
One more question. The older walmart lantern I have is not working very well. I lit it to see how it burned, but it is burning with an orange glow and very dimly. The wick was all the way above the top of the burner and it still sucked. I am wondering if the oil goes bad over time. Its not more than a year old.

I am going to trim the wick off and see if it runs better. I have lots of spares, but I may toss the oil and try the new stuff.

Sounds to me like the wick is probably gummed up.  I'd probably trim the wick too, and if that didn't work I'd swap it out with a new one and then soak the old one in some fresh kero to clean it out.

Link Posted: 12/19/2010 7:57:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I don't know exactly what you see that leads you to that conclusion, but I'm not seeing it myself.  I order stuff from wherever I find it, but paying shipping sucks, particularly when it is for an item that we've never had our mitts on before.  If it sucks, well, it really sucks trying to ship crap back and all the hassle...    

I can't speak for everybody, but I'd venture to say most of the posters are somewhat like myself with respect to the following:  We grab whatever we find useful to us wherever we can find it, whenever we can find it.  When it is particularly affordable, we buy a lot of it.  If it just so happens to be available in a local establishment that we frequent anyway, and said establishment will allow us to return any faulty product for dang near any reason if we don't like it, exactly why wouldn't we be happy about that?   Passing it on to other like minded folk is kind of a no-brainer to us....  

Link Posted: 12/19/2010 8:39:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

My local dollar store has it. I buy 4 or 5 at a time.
Link Posted: 12/20/2010 11:17:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The ACE and True Value Hardware stores in my area carry both lamp oil & kero.....but it seems awfully expensive.

On planning out my lamp fuel preps, I figured on having a 'modest' amount of lamp oil on hand, and would invest in 10 gallons or so of kero to put away in a back corner of the garage somewhere.... So off I goes down to my Home Depot figuring they would be cheaper on the kero. EE-GADS! $38.00 for a 5 gallon drum! Is that normal pricing on that stuff?
Link Posted: 12/20/2010 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My local dollar store has it. I buy 4 or 5 at a time.

My local dollar store, home depot, and lowes do not have lamp oil. They latter two sell kerosene, but I am betting on an obscene price.

My local family dollar has it for $4 per quarter gallon.

So far Walmart has the best price.

No sources for 100% paraffin yet.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/20/2010 11:50:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Tag for home
Link Posted: 12/20/2010 12:51:26 PM EDT
[#39]
My local store doesn't have the lamps, but they do have the oil.  

My wife asked one of the associates, and they didn't know what oil lamps were....

We found where they would be, there just wasn't any, the only ones we did find were the camping style ones.
Link Posted: 12/20/2010 1:57:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Some of you that are recoiling at the cost of clear kerosene at the store should find a fuel station near you that sells K1. I burn K1 in the lamps that I keep out back, and if I were out of lamp oil, would burn it in the house. It works just fine, and is running $3.09 a gallon at the gas station up the road. It's a touch more smelly than the super clear wonder kerosene on the shelf at Wally, but it's also a hell of a lot cheaper.
Link Posted: 12/20/2010 3:07:04 PM EDT
[#41]
i can't find them at my wallyworld
Link Posted: 12/20/2010 3:08:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Some of you that are recoiling at the cost of clear kerosene at the store should find a fuel station near you that sells K1. I burn K1 in the lamps that I keep out back, and if I were out of lamp oil, would burn it in the house. It works just fine, and is running $3.09 a gallon at the gas station up the road. It's a touch more smelly than the super clear wonder kerosene on the shelf at Wally, but it's also a hell of a lot cheaper.

I am thinking of picking up another lantern to try with K1,  just to see what its like. I wouldn't make a special trip, but why not buy another spare?
Link Posted: 12/20/2010 4:51:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Just got back from local WW. They have an oil lamp that looks very similar to the one in the OP. Same price and all. It has a different brand name on it, though. Also, the spare wicks sitting beside them were 0.97 for a single (no three packs). Am wondering whether to pick this up anyway.
Link Posted: 12/20/2010 4:52:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am thinking of picking up another lantern to try with K1,  just to see what its like. I wouldn't make a special trip, but why not buy another spare?

You should probably pick up two, just to be safe.
Link Posted: 12/20/2010 4:57:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Just got back from local WW. They have an oil lamp that looks very similar to the one in the OP. Same price and all. It has a different brand name on it, though. Also, the spare wicks sitting beside them were 0.97 for a single (no three packs). Am wondering whether to pick this up anyway.

affirmative
Link Posted: 12/20/2010 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My local store doesn't have the lamps, but they do have the oil.  

My wife asked one of the associates, and they didn't know what oil lamps were....

We found where they would be, there just wasn't any, the only ones we did find were the camping style ones.

Sounds like my walmart.  I found tons of oil, but no lamps.  The one guy I found that worked there said he wasn't sure he had seen any oil lamps.  

There was another couple there looking for lamps after they found the oil also.  The way they were looking it was like they had read this thread too.    

Link Posted: 12/20/2010 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#47]
My walmart had the following:

In the "Candle" section:

Table type: "Florasense" brand lamps with a 3/4" wick.  Clear glass base with a nice heavier than normal chimney : $6.97

Hurricane Type #1: Small black hurricane style, cold blast, appeared to be a 3/8" wick:  $5.97

Single 7/8" wick: $0.97

Replacement burner head (with wick) : $1.47

Florasense oil, 64 oz - $4.97
In the "Camping" section:

Hurricane Type #2:  Red, larger than #1, 1/2" wick, cold blast type. $4.97  (both there were broken or I'd have gotten them, also had 5 packs of 1/2" wick for $2)
Meijer had lamps and wicks too, but they were twice the price for Lamplight brand (but same or inferior lamps).  However, 3/4" wicks were $1.09 for a 3pk. They also had oil, but VERY pricey ultrapure stuff.

Link Posted: 12/20/2010 6:39:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

In the "Candle" section:

Table type: "Florasense" brand lamps with a 3/4" wick.  Clear glass base with a nice heavier than normal chimney : $6.97

Hurricane Type #1: Small black hurricane style, cold blast, appeared to be a 3/8" wick:  $5.97

Hurricane Type #2:  Red, larger than #1, 1/2" wick, cold blast type. $4.97  (both there were broken or I'd have gotten them, also had 5 packs of 1/2" wick for $2)

Meijer had lamps and wicks too, but they were twice the price for Lamplight brand (but same or inferior lamps).  However, 3/4" wicks were $1.09 for a 3pk. They also had oil, but VERY pricey ultrapure stuff.

The lantern I am currently burning with almost no charring of the wick is the new Florasense brand. I am not sure why it is burning so beautifully. My older lamplight brand lamp is not as clean burning. It works. Just not as bright and more char. I am going to try the florasense brand wicks to see if there is a difference.
Link Posted: 12/20/2010 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the "Candle" section:

The lantern I am currently burning with almost no charring of the wick is the new Florasense brand. I am not sure why it is burning so beautifully. My older lamplight brand lamp is not as clean burning. It works. Just not as bright and more char. I am going to try the florasense brand wicks to see if there is a difference.

Something not many are familiar with [and never will be...] is there are different mechanisms for getting air to the burner in kero lanterns.

There are 'cold blast'  and 'hot blast' lanterns. The difference is the way the hollow supports on the sides of the lantern collect and direct air to the burner.

The hot blast is efficient and the cold blast is brighter.

That may be the reason you are seeing a difference between the regular lamp and your lantern, all else being equal, B-M.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 4:08:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the "Candle" section:

Something not many are familiar with [and never will be...] is there are different mechanisms for getting air to the burner in kero lanterns.

There are 'cold blast'  and 'hot blast' lanterns. The difference is the way the hollow supports on the sides of the lantern collect and direct air to the burner.

The hot blast is efficient and the cold blast is brighter.

That may be the reason you are seeing a difference between the regular lamp and your lantern, all else being equal, B-M.

I am working with two very similar Walmart oil lamps. Its really strange how much difference there is between them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top