Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 5:16:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Added a few cases of can goods from Aldi's .39 cent sale today. I noticed a lot of the stuff was made in China including some canned goods. All of the frozen seafood stuff is from China. Walmart is almost as bad. Don't know about you but I refuse to eat food from China.

I live and work in China and would have to agree with most of the comments.  Since moving here we have had the tooth paste scandal, the dog food scandal, the cooking oil scandal, and the milk scandal.  In addition, the medical grade oxygen in many Chinese hospitals is suspect. Apparently someone discovered they could save money by substituting industrial oxygen (which has impurities that will make you sick).  These are all reported in the local press.  

If I lived in the U.S. and I would only buy U.S. made food from reputable sources.  Many rich Chinese buy imported milk for their kids because they don't trust the local stuff.  Keep in mind that some U.S. food packing plants have had cleanliness problems in the past so I would not rely entirely on one food source in the U.S. either.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 7:32:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Just for my own knowledge I went and checked some of the stuff i have stocked up in the pantry. The soups I got from Aldi, Chicken noodle, vegetable, cream of mushroom and cream of chicken all have a US ag stamp on them. I need to dig deeper and check the corned beef hash and the cans of corned beef. I think those may be south america. The canned chicken breast also has the US stamp.
The canned green beans, peas, and mixed vegetables also have the canned in US with the US AG stamp on them. I will be checking each purchase from now on though.  Aldi is inexpensive, when stocking on a budget as tight as it is here, I have to make every penny count. I will just have to make sure to check the "made in" labels a bit closer each trip.
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 10:23:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I was told that most of the canned vegetables  at Aldi come from Del Monte.
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 1:50:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I spent an hour at the local Aldi today.  Aside from the toys and other non food consumer junk I found NOT ONE FOOD ITEM that came from China! I did however spend half what I spent at Meijer last week when I was working to later to shop at Aldi for the same food.

I think this rumor can be put to rest. I have never seen a Chinese stamp on any product sold in an Aldi store save for some of the farm raised seafood, which coincidentally is found even in the high end grocers such as Harris Teeter. I'd like to add that I've been shopping at Aldi for over two years now and find their food products to be as good or in some cases better than that offered in other grocery stores.

If any of you have a specific item from Aldi that says made in China, please let us know. I've purchased just about everything in there at some point and I doubt you'll find any.

Konger
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 2:35:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I can my own meats for a reason.

And I also buy shit tons of Aldi's canned beans.

Do what ever prepping you can, any is better than none.  But know what you are eating.  Canned green beans for instance, have virtually ZERO caloric or nutritional value.  Canned black beans, or SPAM (or generic thereof) or canned corn all at least have energy in them.

Vitamin supplements as a prep are often overlooked, and shouldn't be.
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 3:39:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I spent an hour at the local Aldi today.  Aside from the toys and other non food consumer junk I found NOT ONE FOOD ITEM that came from China! I did however spend half what I spent at Meijer last week when I was working to later to shop at Aldi for the same food.

I think this rumor can be put to rest. I have never seen a Chinese stamp on any product sold in an Aldi store save for some of the farm raised seafood, which coincidentally is found even in the high end grocers such as Harris Teeter. I'd like to add that I've been shopping at Aldi for over two years now and find their food products to be as good or in some cases better than that offered in other grocery stores.

If any of you have a specific item from Aldi that says made in China, please let us know. I've purchased just about everything in there at some point and I doubt you'll find any.

Konger

My wife had picked up some of the large cans of sweet potatoes that stated "Product of China" and brought it to my attention, that is when I started checking the other canned foods. Plus everything I checked in the seafood was China.
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I just checked a few different cans from Aldi's labeled under the brand name "Happy Harvest".  All say they are a product of Canada.

Link Posted: 11/8/2010 9:49:30 PM EDT
[#9]
The fish in yellow boxes at walmart (Gortons?) is all from canada

Everything else is Chinese fish

just a heads up
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 11:15:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I started to buy from Aldi about a month ago. I buy the canned fruit and canned baked beans. The milk is from Illinois, and the meat Is from Dearborn Michigan. The canned fruit is from South America and the Baked beans are from Missouri. I stock up on canned ham but I dont know where that is from.
I understand most want to buy from the USA but most people dont have the extra money to do so. And most of the time the product is packaged is the same place for different companies but sold at different prices. So I dont feel bad that my money isnt going to make some one else richer, but I do feel good about being able to feed my family when needed. The cheaper food lets me do that and stock some up for a rainy day. And I really dont see it as cheaper food but food sold cheaper form a different company.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 12:36:08 AM EDT
[#11]

You buy what you can.  It's better to have than none.  My approach has been when funds are available then I go for the #10 can Mountain House or Provident Pantry.  When funds are not so available then my local supermarket "wet packed" canned foods it is.  Sure nutritional value is also considered along with the price of the product.  Plus I started canning so that "diversify" my choice.

Yes I do avoid Chinese food product.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 4:56:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The fish in yellow boxes at walmart (Gortons?) is all from canada

Everything else is Chinese fish

just a heads up

I did some calling around to check on seafood. Gorton's uses fish from the US and Canada, except for the tilapia, which is from China.

ETA: Some of the salmon sold in Wal-Mart is marked product of US, but looking closer it says it is processed in China.

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 8:23:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I've always taken a look at food labels to see where it comes from. Not that I wouldn't purchase it if from China or wherever –– but really, going back only a year or two ago, there wasn't all that much from China specifically. Yes, many other places but not China.

What really struck me the other day was an apple juice box my daughter was drinking. Brand name, etc. Often times you will see "from concentrate" and product of x, y and z countries. Never China.

This time –– ALL China and ONLY China.

No more of those.

I am sure there is a direct correlation between this and the rising food prices, etc. In order to keep the food prices from jumping as dramatically as they would (should) have, we are seeing the second phase of covering it up. The first was the downsizing of similar items for the same price, of which there were news stories but nothing changes. The sheeple suck it up, go on with life and don't pay attention. Now we get China junk in the products –– many products. Increasing each day. Plus the prices are going up.

What's next???

ETA –– Yeah, I know the answer hence why I am spending time here...  
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 4:16:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Went back to Aldi today to get some $ 1.99 root beer and cheap snacks. The root beer potatoe chips and choco covered pretzels are really good!

I checked some more stuff and found a lot of the canned fruit was from China even the nice clear jars.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 4:51:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Since this thread, Ive checked my stock and all was ok. I did see at Aldi yesterday that the frozen stuff like the fish and some other processed stuff was from china.
Stopped by the food lion to pick up some drinks and found some of their store brands were from china as well. Looks as though its becoming a common thing.....time to start hunting and pecking
with what I buy from which store.
Some of the stuff others are finding marked from china, have been marked US at my local store. I wonder if they have different batches processed in different places.
Needless to say that each trip we make to the store, we will be paying attention and skipping the China shop stuff.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 9:06:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been shopping at Aldi for over ten years. I always read the label. if it says distributed by Aldi, I don't buy it because that means it comes from China. Almost all their canned or bottled fruit is from China and I won't touch it. Aldi is a German company so I do buy their chocolate which is from Europe. Most of their condiments are O.K. and made in the USA. Their spaghetti sauce is tops for a great price. Dairy products are also mostly from the US. You just have to watch what you buy. I will never buy shit that I know was made in China. There was a proposal called COOL (Country of origin labeling) during the Bush administration that would have required country of origin labeling on all food. It was shot down by the money people. Wonder why.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 11:06:00 PM EDT
[#17]

thanks for the heads up.  Usually canned veggies and bulk spices/sugar are the only things i buy at Aldi.  I'll have to start paying attention to the labels a little more closely.

Link Posted: 11/11/2010 4:30:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Many of the big name labels do private labeling of canned goods (and other foods) for discount stores like this.

I recently learned that a big name battery manufacturer actually gets some of its batteries made by a competitor if they cannot make enough in their own plants. I am pretty sure it is true because I was in the plant that packages them. When I go back on a Wednesday, I can use the company store to buy high quality, US made batteries for next to nothing.
Link Posted: 11/11/2010 6:13:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/11/2010 7:31:51 AM EDT
[#20]
There are some good points on both sides of this "debate"

When you are hungry, LOTS of cheap crap tastes good...but, eating the same bland food gets old quick.

Personally, not being able to store the foods I like for any significant length of time is the real kicker.

For instance, i could easily eat pasta 5 nights a week for the rest of my life. I know this because i already eat pasta a few nights a week, and have since I was a child

However, w/ no peccorino Romano cheese to go on that pasta...shit would get old quick That sawdust in a jar they sell on the supermarket shelf ain't gonna do it for me.

Also, I'm the kinda guy who will eat a small lunch, then eat a bunch of empty carb junk food to fill me up...I know that may seem unhealthy, but it works for me

While twinkis will last, storing chocolate bars and cupcakes for any length of time is out of the question.

The whole idea is to have food and not die. Transitioning to a new diet will be tough, but it beats the alternatives

I buy cheap aldis canned food and whatever else looks like a good value; simply because I can only store certain items i already eat and the cheap variety is never a bad option to have.
Speed

Link Posted: 11/11/2010 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#21]
I've always thought having diversity in stored food preps is mandatory, not optional. My issue seems to be that I haven't found a way to completely "store what you eat" since the wife unit and I have a soft spot for the local Mexican food joint.

(I do have a case of Wolf brand chili in my can rack, though. I had to have it imported from the Republic of Texas, though, as nobody carries it here.)

I wonder, though, where some of our favorite "US" labeled things get some of their raw materials from. For example, those Wolf brand chili cans now have "textured vegetable protein" listed on the ingredients list. I don't recall ever seeing that when I was growing up eating that stuff. Same goes for Campbell's soup. As I recall, they had planned to close their last remaining US canning plant and relocate all their soup canning to Mexico. Did they ever do that?
Link Posted: 11/11/2010 2:28:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I just checked the label on some canned goods from Aldi.

Most of the cans just said distributed by Aldi.  The canned tuna and pineapples, however, said product of Thailand.  I am not sure if that is much better than China or not
Link Posted: 11/11/2010 3:20:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I just checked the label on some canned goods from Aldi.

Most of the cans just said distributed by Aldi.  The canned tuna and pineapples, however, said product of Thailand.  I am not sure if that is much better than China or not

I would trust thailand over china any day. I hear they make good crickets.
Link Posted: 11/11/2010 9:58:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I've never been to an Aldi's

None in my area.

Link Posted: 11/11/2010 11:27:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 1:36:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just checked a few different cans from Aldi's labeled under the brand name "Happy Harvest".  All say they are a product of Canada.

Dude if it has Happy in the name, chances are it came from China!

lol, that is so true it's funny
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 1:44:11 AM EDT
[#27]
I think the old adage, "Buyer Beware," applies just as much today as it did way back then, and universally-so.

The chinese are getting clever. Some of the packaging looks just like the packaging on the norwegian sardines. I bought some thinking that is what they were.
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 3:33:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I think the old adage, "Buyer Beware," applies just as much today as it did way back then, and universally-so.

The chinese are getting clever. Some of the packaging looks just like the packaging on the norwegian sardines. I bought some thinking that is what they were.

like the province of Usa.....
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 7:20:52 AM EDT
[#29]
I will continue to buy from Aldi, cheap food. I looked around the store last night all the name brands say "distributed by XYZ" only one that I found that actually said packed in USA was Del Monte. For $1.49 a can, not on sale. So should I buy Aldi cans for $0.39 each and get 4 to 1 ratio to del monte? I think so! Their coffee is good too!
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 9:59:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Ocean Spray, Birdseye, Nestle to name a few have farms and or plants in China as well and have for at least the past decade.  I have shipped parts to them....   So if Aldi has any foods from China it's only because they buy from these same and other big name sources.  BTW: The happy Farms name has been around since the early 1980's and was the name Aldi used on their 100% Florida Orange Juice from concentrate which is made buy a very big name.  Aldi does not make food or even spec food they buy from the big names and have there name put on it.  I worked for Aldi from 2000-2002 maintaining the various equipment in the stores,  I also did the same for Jewel.  I got to know a lot of people and would often see the same truck drivers at both.   I live a few minutes away from Aldi's US distribution center.  You don't see many trucks with ISO shipping containers going in and out you mostly see trucks from the "big names" going in and out....   Aldi food is the same as any other "big name" grocery store aside from the lower prices.  If you want to throw your money away for the same food in "name brand" can go ahead.
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 10:11:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 4:04:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Just made a trip to my local Aldi's... the people that shop there make Wal-mart shoppers look like Neiman Marcus's best customers.  One lady was pushing boxes of food up and down the aisle with her feet.  I offered her a quarter to rent a shopping cart, she just mumbled something completely unintelligible.

A lot of stuff marked "distributed by Aldi's" but no country of origin.

What store was that?  The lot is filled with BMW's and Mercedes (and a few regular folks with Fords, etc) at mine.
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 4:15:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Just made a trip to my local Aldi's... the people that shop there make Wal-mart shoppers look like Neiman Marcus's best customers.  One lady was pushing boxes of food up and down the aisle with her feet.  I offered her a quarter to rent a shopping cart, she just mumbled something completely unintelligible.

A lot of stuff marked "distributed by Aldi's" but no country of origin.

i go to aldi to escape the people of walmart and also to escape the slow lines.  Aldi girls are paid base + piecework thats why they are so fast. it comes out to around $15 an hour. not too shabby for that job. they do some stocking also, but seem to take turns.  i know for a fact that all the grocers carry food made in china. most of your seafood products are chinese or asian of some sorts.

Link Posted: 11/15/2010 4:23:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Buying canned goods takes the same if not more consideration as buying medicines and firearms.  Poor quality can cost you dearly, it can even cost you your life.  It is real important to know where that canned food is coming from.  Some places are better (safer) than others.

For all canned foods, I feel safe with any product produced and packaged in the USA.  I am also OK with any product from the EU, which includes Poland.  I mention Poland because many still see Poland as an Eastern European "behind the iron curtain" train wreck.  In fact they are part of the EU, and products made and packed there have to conform to strict EU practices.  Prices on products from Poland can be real bargains, they seem to be the cheap labor equivalent of China in Europe.  Aldis buys a lot of their products from Poland.

For canned meats and meat products I like USA made products.  But there are bargains to be had from Brazil and Argentina.  Canned meats have been a major export from both countries since the 1920's, and they seem to know what they are doing.  Both countries have been exporting all over the world for decades with few quality control problems.  Their products are starting to make their way into The States, and offer good quality for the dollar.

There is one thing to look out for when it comes to USA made products, and that is if it was packaged in Guam.  Guam is a US Territory, and as such products made there have the "Made In The USA" label.  This is all a smoke screen to conceal the true origins of the product.  Almost every plant there was built by, is run by, and staffed by the Chinese.  Country girls are brought in and live in prison like barracks and work 12-14 hour shifts cranking out cheap Chinese goods.  I suspect that the safety and quality controls are little different than on mainland China, with the exception of a little lip service to the USDA.  If a can has "Guam" anywhere on the label, I pass on it.

Just a few thoughts on canned goods......

stasiman
Link Posted: 11/15/2010 4:57:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Hell––-I got the willy's reading a can where it said the meat came from Canada––-don't they still have mad cow disease there?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top