Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Posted: 5/14/2010 12:29:01 AM EDT
Pickling eggs are a great way to preserve eggs.  They will last up to 6mo on the shelf if properly prepared and up to a year in the fridge.  

Let's get started shall we?

Basic Ingredients:
Eggs
Vinegar (cheap stuff is a-okay)
Jars
Salt
Spices/Seasonings/Pepper/Whatever else you'd like
Pot to boil them in

^Fill a pot 1/2 full with water.

^Put your eggs in the pot and set your heat to high.

Bring the water to a boil...

^While you wait, have a cigar.

Just as soon as the water starts boiling, turn off your heat.  Add a lid to the pot, then set a timer for twenty minutes.

^Once your timer goes off, tump the hot water off of your eggs and replace with cold water.  Tump, replace, tump, replace until the water stays cool.  This will help you in the peeling process.

^In this batch, I made two large batches of large eggs and mediums.  Large on the right, medium on the left.

^Peel your eggs.  This is the sucky part, but stick with it.  Keep the shells, if you have a garden they're great compost material, especially for tomatoes.

^Put your eggs in their jars.

^Get your ingredients set up.

^In a pot, mix 1:1 water and vinegar, enough that it'll fill up your jars.  

^Add 1/2 teaspoon of pickling salt to each jar.  This gives your eggs a bit longer life span and brings out the flavor.

^Add your ingredients directly to your jars while your 1:1 vinegar/water solution heats up to a boil.

^Once the vinegar/water solution has come to a boil, ladel it into your filled/packed jars leaving 1/2" of headspace.

^Wipe the rims of your jar clean, add a lid tightly then mark the contents/ingredients.

^Voila, the finished product.

Thanks for reading
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 1:02:44 AM EDT
[#1]
WTF does TUMP mean?  

Nice looking Eggs.
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 1:11:15 AM EDT
[#2]
wasnt too sure about this, until i saw the sriracha
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 1:20:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the write up.  I do eggs all the time and will try some of your ingredients.  Love pickled eggs, you forgot that they take a week or 2 to get the flavor in them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 1:40:06 AM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 3:14:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By zukguy:
Thanks for the write up.  I do eggs all the time and will try some of your ingredients.  Love pickled eggs, you forgot that they take a week or 2 to get the flavor in them.

People tend to be impatient  You're absolutely right though, for best flavor/pickling they need to sit a minimum of 3 weeks, preferably 4.
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 7:16:46 AM EDT
[#6]
yum.....I'm gonna have to give some of those a shot.
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 7:29:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Great tutorial!
I like the variety of flavors you chose.
I didn't know they could last that long on the shelf.
Thanks much!
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 7:51:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice write-up.  You get a lot fancier than I do.  Will have to experiment more I guess.  And you are right, its hard to wait and not raid the jars earlier than the 3-4 week time frame.

Oh yeah, and bonus points for the finished product/handgun pics!
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 7:59:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Very nice write up. I make pickled eggs a lot but nowhere near as many as you did (2-3 jars per session). I added sliced ginger root to my beet and onion batch. Came out nice and spicy w/o being too hot.
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 8:21:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By LandRaider:
WTF does TUMP mean?  

Nice looking Eggs.

a guy from MS is asking a guy from MO what tump means?

you must be a yankee spy in MS or you married into your Southerness...

loose def: to turn over, dump out etc

OP Thanks for the write up, post up some pics once they've steeped a little... the hot ones look gggoooooooddd.
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 9:02:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By FlatlinesUp:
Originally Posted By LandRaider:
WTF does TUMP mean?  

Nice looking Eggs.

a guy from MS is asking a guy from MO what tump means?

you must be a yankee spy in MS or you married into your Southerness...

loose def: to turn over, dump out etc

OP Thanks for the write up, post up some pics once they've steeped a little... the hot ones look gggoooooooddd.

No kidding.  First thing I thought.  Yankee spy down here.

I've got some eggs soaking right now.  At the oriental market, I get canned quail eggs.  They're hard boiled packed in water so they make great pickling eggs.

Link Posted: 5/14/2010 9:59:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I called the neighbor and asked how many eggs he had on hand....he has chickens....said he had 4 1/2 dozen fresh.

Question.....any thing I should know about using farm eggs vs store bought?....I gotta call him this afternoon.

Grocery run too.....want to add a can of pickled scallions....

I guess with each jar one should be issued a gas mask for later......
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 10:51:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Great variety!
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 10:51:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Fresh eggs peel harder than store bought eggs.... they taste better.  Thats about it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 11:03:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By blackhawkhunter:
Fresh eggs peel harder than store bought eggs.... they taste better.  Thats about it.

Yeah...I know peeling them is a bit more of a pain....but we use them a lot.....much richer.

What is the expected shelf life?
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 11:12:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Echo2:
Originally Posted By blackhawkhunter:

Yeah...I know peeling them is a bit more of a pain....but we use them a lot.....much richer.

As eggs get older they get more gas space in them.  Fresh eggs sink and older eggs will float.  A friend did an experiment once comparing fresh and store bought eggs and while I dont remember what his conclusion was, I was amazed at how old store bought eggs are.  This friend had a lot of time on his hands and did a lot of stuff like that and I always figured if I couldnt remember something I could ask.... unfortunatly he died in a 4 wheeler accident so all that trivia is gone.   One of his boys threw his notebook out and I have not had time to recreate the experiment.

Link Posted: 5/14/2010 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Go back to the top of the page and read the second sentence.
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 11:53:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Gun_Crank:

Go back to the top of the page and read the second sentence.

i we todd did.....me like pictures.
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Great post

GM
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 12:20:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Excellent write up on pickling eggs.  I am going to have to try doing some.

Farm fresh eggs need to be 4-5 days old before hard boiling or you will loose most of the egg trying to peel it.

Side note on storing eggs.  
Supposedly fresh eggs coated with mineral oil (to seal the pores in the shell) will sore for up to 1 year.

Source:
http://everythingunderthesunblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/book-2.html

I am getting more eggs than the wife and I can use, so I am going to try this.

I will be pickling some too, after see the pics in this thread!
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Pickled ... eggs? Sounds scary, may have to try sometime.
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 1:06:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Just remember that there is no Ball or FDA approved and tested recipe for canning and shelf storage of eggs. It is possible to get sick from the yoke because heat and or the vinegar can not penetrate and kill bacteria in it.  That said I did some and did not die.  OP they look great.
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 1:07:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Full of WIN!

Do you heat the 1:1 water vinegar mixture?
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 1:09:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Alright I'm coming out.

I have never eaten a pickled egg.

I've eaten plenty of hard boiled eggs. I imagine that pickled eggs would be somewhat similar. I do have a few questions however.
Do they smell bad, other than when hard boiling them?
Are they good or is it an acquired taste?
Are they useful for masking the smell of a cigar?

I think I will try to make a couple jars despite my fears.
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 1:13:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Q3131A:
Full of WIN!

Yes he did.
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 1:23:53 PM EDT
[#26]

They smell great when you eat them!

Save the cigar for a few hours later to mask the smell.  

Link Posted: 5/14/2010 1:46:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Nice write up.  I will give this a try.

Normally I just add me about a half dozen hard boiled eggs to my pickle jar after the pickles are gone.
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 2:17:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Q3131A:
Full of WIN!

Roger.  Bring it to a boil then ladle it onto your eggs.  If you can the jars right after you fill them, you will usually get a seal on the jars, which keeps the outside air out, thus promoting a longer shelf life.
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#29]
my mom used to make egg salad with pickled eggs....the texture is pretty much the same.....they smell of vinegar and spice....well....a pickle.

They are rather tastey....and hell.....if you can get 6 months storage....

Doubt they'ed last that long.....nom....nom...nom.....with a peice of jerky and a beer....
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 2:20:09 PM EDT
[#30]
I called the neighbor and asked how many eggs he had on hand....he has chickens....said he had 4 1/2 dozen fresh.

Question.....any thing I should know about using farm eggs vs store bought?....I gotta call him this afternoon.

The only issue with fresh eggs is that they're harder to peel.  I try to give all of the eggs I pickle at least 3 weeks in the fridge from the time I buy them to help with peeling.

If I had a chicken coop here local, I'd use only farm eggs.  Old timers have been pickling eggs long before you or I were thought of to preserve them for the darker months when the hens didn't lay as many.
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice stogies.
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 5:11:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks!!!  Great post.
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 9:28:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I loves me some pickled eggs.  I can never stay out of them long enough for them to get really good.
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 10:17:16 PM EDT
[#34]

I eat hard boiled eggs all the time but have never tried pickled eggs; what do they taste like in comparison
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 10:42:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Would you mind sharing ingredients and measurements?
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 10:50:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By tsonda4570:
Would you mind sharing ingredients and measurements?

Sure, but they're imprecise.

The only vital ingredients you need are the ones I've listed in the thread.  
Eggs
Jars
Vinegar
Water
Salt (preferably kosher or pickling)
Seasonings of your choice.

Just follow the instructions I've laid out.  When you get to the packing stage (where you add your spices to the jar full of boiled, peeled eggs) you can play around with it.  In the original post I used:
Jalapenos
Peppercorns
Pickling Salt
Serranos
Louisiana hot sauce
Tobasco
Siracha
Louisiana Wing Sauce
Louisiana Crab/Crawfish boil

If you have any other questions, I'll try my best to answer them.

MGNiko: They taste like a hard boiled egg, pickling spices (like a dill pickle) and then whatever spices you put in the jars.
Link Posted: 5/15/2010 4:25:47 AM EDT
[#37]
do the jalapenos make the eggs hot? or just give it flavor?
Link Posted: 5/15/2010 5:54:49 AM EDT
[#38]
got a mini-batch in the fridge right now

Link Posted: 5/15/2010 2:32:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Belt-Fed:
do the jalapenos make the eggs hot? or just give it flavor?

It's more flavor with Jalapenos, however if you put habaneros in the batch, it'll make the eggs damn near too hot to eat.
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 1:32:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Wife brought home 90 eggs the other day........
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Not sure how I missed this thread on the first go around. I saw it in GD but I'm glad you posted it over on Survival. Great pics. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 1:35:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VA-gunnut] [#42]
Edited, as this is not GD...VA-gunnut

Link Posted: 5/21/2010 4:42:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Just curious,,,,

Should the jars be "flipped" from time to time?

You know, keep the spices from setteling at the bottom, that way the top eggs get some love?
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 8:35:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 8:48:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By SBCZILLA:
Just curious,,,,

Should the jars be "flipped" from time to time?

You know, keep the spices from setteling at the bottom, that way the top eggs get some love?

Not necessary, but it certainly helps.  The spices will still settle at some point, but your eggs will still be super tasty.
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 10:13:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: callgood] [#46]
Originally Posted By Slavac:

The only issue with fresh eggs is that they're harder to peel. I try to give all of the eggs I pickle at least 3 weeks in the fridge from the time I buy them to help with peeling.

If I had a chicken coop here local, I'd use only farm eggs.  Old timers have been pickling eggs long before you or I were thought of to preserve them for the darker months when the hens didn't lay as many.

That would explain my fiasco.

I frequently take a couple of hard boiled eggs to work. I try to finish off a carton when there aren't enough to  have for breakfast for the two of us. They peel with no problems. They're usually 2-3 weeks old.

Two weeks ago I pickled 18 eggs. They were a bitch to peel. Some of them looked like I'd taken a sand wedge to them. I thought it was because I didn't dump the boil water, just put the pot under the tap and turned on the cold water while I tinkered with the pickling stuff.

These were fresh from the store. Next time I'll age them in the fridge before I pickle them.

I used red pepper flakes, jalepenos, black pepper (coarse grind) and fresh garlic. Lots of fresh garlic.

Pickling salt does not have iodine in it. IIRC from my vegetable canning days, iodine can affect the taste of pickled food. Anyway, I used pickling salt because we have some.

Link Posted: 5/26/2010 11:40:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Slavac:
Pickling eggs are a great way to preserve eggs.  They will last up to 6mo on the shelf if properly prepared and up to a year in the fridge.  

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/allusakid/Picklin%20Eggs/026.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/allusakid/Picklin%20Eggs/024.jpg
^While you wait, have a cigar.

You got great step by step pictures. The write up was great as well!
But your a Barbarian, using a lighter to light your cigar!
Read some where that you can keep fresh eggs in  some kind of geltain!
Do you know anything about that?

PITA45

Link Posted: 5/27/2010 1:56:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: troy808] [#48]
Alright I'm coming out.

I have never eaten a pickled egg.

I've eaten plenty of hard boiled eggs. I imagine that pickled eggs would be somewhat similar. I do have a few questions however.
Are they good or is it an acquired taste?

I think I will try to make a couple jars despite my fears.

ditto
looks interesting.....
gotta try, thanx for the DIY

bet it 's fargin stink as hell coming out

someone said, "balot"?
or, is that bilot?

––––––––––––––––––––––––

(eta) my recipe for peeling eggs:

when I boil eggs, I will try to gently create cracks toward the end of the cooking cycle (if done too early, the whites leak out)
this usually allows some of the water to seep under the shells.
sometimes a rolling boil will do this to the eggs as they bounce around in the pot.

after, when the eggs are out, I will gently crack the egg all around,
then peel underwater
no small crunchies or fingerprints

ps.using this method causes the Easter egg whites to take on the color of the dye
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 9:40:06 AM EDT
[#49]
I used Zatarain's extra spicy boil to make this batch.  I cooked and peeled the eggs, put them in the containers, filled half full with white vinegar, topped off with hot Zatarains, some sliced picked jalapeños and some fresh, crushed garlic pods.  The container on the right has been soaking for three weeks.  That's the one I'm in to now.  I like them with a little Ranch dressing on them.

Crappy cell phone pic
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 1:30:08 PM EDT
[#50]
I have never had those kind of pickled eggs.  The ones I make and like are made with beet juice/vinegar combo with some sugar and pickling spices.  I also throw some onion slices in there too.  You know they are ready to eat when the outside of the yolk starts to turn purple from the beet juice.  I usually let em sit for about 2 weeks.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top