Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2010 7:41:10 AM EDT
I've recently built a shed in the backyard and am looking at storing both propane and gasoline in there; gasoline in 5 gal cans and propane in 1 lb and maybe 1-2 20 lb cylinders. Are there any special precautions that should be taken? Any issues with storing both flammables in the same area? The shed is vented somewhat, but not very well; I intend to add additional ventilation before I put the flammables in there.

The shed is about 35 ft away from our house, as far as our backyard permits. It's one of those steel / vinyl construction sheds. Right now the propane is in the garage and the gas tanks are empty (I am leery of keeping full tanks in the garage); the propane has been there for years. Temps get upwards of 100 degrees here in summer.

Any advice?
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 8:00:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Your local fire or buiilding code might have restrictions on how much of that stuff you can keep in a shed.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 8:07:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Your local fire or buiilding code might have restrictions on how much of that stuff you can keep in a shed.

Probably no more than 30 gal of gasoline and maybe 15-20 1 lb propane cylinders (used mostly for camping); still undecided on the 20 lb propane tanks as we almost always cook with wood fire rather than propane now). The gas would be as a backup for hurricane season (when the gas stations sometimes run out when hurricanes are inbound).

We're in the Houston area, actually in county.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 8:09:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been doing it for 10 years now.  No fires yet.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 8:38:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Keep the gas by the door and not in the back of the building.
But you know that.

Propane and gasoiline don't react.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 9:39:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Keep the gas by the door and not in the back of the building.

I get the impression it is an 8 foot x 8 foot prefab shed . . . I don't think it matters where it is kept . . .

Just getting it out of any attached garage is the important thing

Jeff
15 year firefighter

Link Posted: 5/4/2010 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#6]
40 gallons and two propane tanks are sitting in my shed as we speak.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been doing it for years with no problems.  I use plastic gas containers so that I dont have to worry about rust.

I'm planing to cut back on gas though and focus on propane - its easier and safer to store in quanity.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#8]
add a wirly bird to the top, it will help keep the air moving.

You could also add insulation to the top/sides to keep the Texas sun from heating the whole thing up. You will be surprised what insulation will do to drop a sheds temperature, yet no one ever insulates their sheds.
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 2:59:15 PM EDT
[#9]
We have sixteen 5 gal gas cans and 12 BBQ bottles in the barn.  Won't be adding anymore gas, but have a goal of 20 full BBQ tanks.  

Don't hide behind the barn to smoke!
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#10]
40 gallons gas
14 propane 20lb tanks
55 gal kerosene
20 gallons diesel
paint
spirits
welding tanks

Open eve barn x 10 years with no explosion.  Just make sure it has some air flow and no sparks in a little shed   If it blows blame it on teabagers
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#11]
one tip; I don't know if you guys are aware of it or not, but gasoline sold in the winter versus gasoline sold in the summer are different. Winter gasoline has a higher RVP, meaning that there are more light ends in it (basically, more butane). So, if you are storing it, you'll want to refresh your stock depending on what season you are hoarding it for.

FYI..Gasoline specs change in late March for spring and Oct for winter
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 7:14:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We have sixteen 5 gal gas cans and 12 BBQ bottles in the barn.  Won't be adding anymore gas, but have a goal of 20 full BBQ tanks.  

Nothing wrong with storing extra propane but if you are gonna store that much, why not get a few 100 lb tanks instead??  In my area, it's quite a bit cheaper per gallon to fill a 100 lb tank vs a 20 lb tank.
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 2:57:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing wrong with storing extra propane but if you are gonna store that much, why not get a few 100 lb tanks instead??  In my area, it's quite a bit cheaper per gallon to fill a 100 lb tank vs a 20 lb tank.

here they charge buy the gallon but have a minimum price usually equal to a 40lb tank.

But if you fill more than one at a time the 20's get the same price as bigger tanks.

Link Posted: 5/6/2010 3:08:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have sixteen 5 gal gas cans and 12 BBQ bottles in the barn. Won't be adding anymore gas, but have a goal of 20 full BBQ tanks.

Nothing wrong with storing extra propane but if you are gonna store that much, why not get a few 100 lb tanks instead?? In my area, it's quite a bit cheaper per gallon to fill a 100 lb tank vs a 20 lb tank.

I am up to maybe a dozen of the 20lb tanks by simply letting people know I want another one.  I need to get them filled up after using some of them this winter but it is easy to haul them around and get them filled up and they are a good size for the buddy heaters I have as well as the propane grill.

I do want to get a couple of the 100lb tanks as well and plan to use them to heat with this winter but it is a lot harder to hand one of those off to someone and tell them to go exchange it or get it filled or just let them borrow it.

If I had to buy the 20lb tanks new I would not bother with having so many of them but when they show up for free and sometimes with gas still in them I will collect them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 3:16:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
We have sixteen 5 gal gas cans and 12 BBQ bottles in the barn. Won't be adding anymore gas, but have a goal of 20 full BBQ tanks.

Nothing wrong with storing extra propane but if you are gonna store that much, why not get a few 100 lb tanks instead?? In my area, it's quite a bit cheaper per gallon to fill a 100 lb tank vs a 20 lb tank.

I am up to maybe a dozen of the 20lb tanks by simply letting people know I want another one.  I need to get them filled up after using some of them this winter but it is easy to haul them around and get them filled up and they are a good size for the buddy heaters I have as well as the propane grill.

I do want to get a couple of the 100lb tanks as well and plan to use them to heat with this winter but it is a lot harder to hand one of those off to someone and tell them to go exchange it or get it filled or just let them borrow it.

If I had to buy the 20lb tanks new I would not bother with having so many of them but when they show up for free and sometimes with gas still in them I will collect them.

This is where I'm coming from.  I'd like a couple 100's for free.  I can trade the nastiest free BBQ tank at Walmart and get a 'new' tested tank for almost the price of an LP refill.  I like the portability of the BBQ tanks.  If I'm out of town my wife and daughter could move a couple BBQ tanks easily.  The 100 pounder would have to be prepositioned.  Ideally, I'd like to have a 500 buried.  That won't be free, tho.

I rotate the gas year old gas by month.   It's treated and has burned in every vehicle and generator.  I think we are good to go on that.
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 3:39:14 PM EDT
[#16]
One thing to think about with the plastic gas cans, make sure they're full (less room for vapor expansion and pressure).  Might be more of an issue in a shed where the temps vary a lot.

My BIL had a plastic non-vented, better for the environment kind of can (Blitz I think) burst at the seam.  He said the can was a 5 gal and about a quarter full.  Didn't mention if it was in direct sunlight or not.
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#17]
The reason that I like the 100 lb tanks is that they have enough gas to last for quite awhile at regular use and if you have propane to the house, with the right connections you can run the house off of a 100 lb tank.  

I will agree that the 20 lb tanks are quite a bit more convenient though.  At the moment I personally use propane just to run the BBQ and have a small propane fireplace in the master BR.  The fireplace is fed from the 100 lb tank.  The grill is fed from the 20 lb tanks.  I also have hoses to be able to run the Heater Buddy from a 20 lb tank.  I keep 3 20 lb tanks on hand a currently have 1 100 lb tank.  I'm planning to increase that to 2 100 lb tanks eventually and probably one more 20 lb tank for a total of 4.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top