Page:  / 3
Author
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/30/2010 5:26:58 PM
Originally Posted By Rocksarge:
you aint alone on that.
Originally Posted By pyro6988:
I was really impressed with it. I watched it yesterday.

I was truly shocked that some of the experts were putting a big emphasis on self defense and firearms.

I got really aggravated at some of the decisions the people made. I really got pissed after the wife shot the guy she dropped the gun and neither of them picked it up.

1 more to that. They should have grabbed the shotgun also, besides taking for granted leaving everything in the vehicles when the guys drove by in the truck and cleaned them out while they hide like bitches. This is what America is heavily populated with though and I don't really sympathize with them. They choose to be who they are. They probably voted for 0 anyways, lol.

The emphasis on firearms and security made me happy though and I passed the link onto some family and friends to watch. When things do go south there are too many mouths to feed and a system that teeters on a fine edge to think people won't turn into the true animals they are.

TheMirage
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/30/2010 5:48:03 PM
Actually the removed A TON of firearms and self defense content according to Michael Bane who was in the show. One of his podcast he details how they cut out a majority of his interview.
762wolverine
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/30/2010 6:40:23 PM
[Last Edit: 4/30/2010 7:00:42 PM by 762wolverine]
Originally Posted By TheMirage:
Actually the removed A TON of firearms and self defense content according to Michael Bane who was in the show. One of his podcast he details how they cut out a majority of his interview.

are you sure about that, how about a link?

found it! well a link to a story of it

http://www.survivalblog.com/2010/01/the_after_armageddon_docudrama.html

I want to see the whole show with out the edits.

-"No people in history have ever survived, who thought they could protect their freedom by making themselves inoffensive to their enemies."
BRONZ
You're Being Watched
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/30/2010 11:15:54 PM
I honestly liked it.

Would watch it again.
BRONZ

You never have trouble if you are prepared for it. T. Roosevelt

BurtSaun1049
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/1/2010 2:20:54 PM
Originally Posted By Mrmaigo:
The average house hold only has 3 days of food

What The Fuck? Really? Who the hell even goes shopping twice a week?

"When a man knows he is to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully." -Samuel Johnson
pyro6988
How do you like my fire arm?
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/3/2010 11:55:24 AM
Originally Posted By 762wolverine:
Originally Posted By TheMirage:

are you sure about that, how about a link?

found it! well a link to a story of it

http://www.survivalblog.com/2010/01/the_after_armageddon_docudrama.html

I want to see the whole show with out the edits.

Me too
'Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither' -- Benjamin Franklin

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. -- Thomas Jefferson
Duggan
Enlightened Nonbeliever.
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/3/2010 12:25:49 PM

People who enjoy eating fresh meat, seafood and vegetables?

People who care about their health and don't want to eat tons of preserved, nutritionally compromised food?

Crazy idea, I know.

(that's not to say you can't have more long term food in the house ... you just don't eat it, because you'd rather have fresh stuff if it's available).

That said, I probably visit the grocery store 2-3x a week ... it helps that it's a mile from my house, and that I work in food distribution.
functionalhorseman
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/3/2010 5:44:57 PM
Recently (to me that's spans years) started thinking about collapse of society and all. Hard not to with the direction the country is going. Saw part of the After Armageddon show on T.V. then located the short you tube videos on http://urbansurvivalskills.com with come commentary. Wargaming, or what I call just thinking it through, is a large part of any problem. Pre-planning seems to me to be the result of war gaming or otherwise planning solutions to those problems you identified - you call it response algorythyms (never heard that word before - had to look it up, but it fits). The ass clown on the After Armageddon (yes, I know it's a fictional show) just made bad decisions in part because he was just not prepared. I agree with you, medicguy, that this is a realistic portrayl on how people will react. The urbansurvivalskills site mentions people staying home until it's too late - hoping the government will fix the situation I reckon.
Jus_Ad_Bellum
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/3/2010 7:26:12 PM
I was a little like WTF first, but then I thought about some of my family/friends that might watch it and then realized the best part of the program was showing/dramatizing how doing stupid things can be catastrophic. Yeah, watching a crack bugout would be cool and fun to watch with a bunch of hell yeahs, but watching failure seems almost more useful as a learning aid.
cordovamx
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/3/2010 7:40:06 PM
Originally Posted By Jus_Ad_Bellum:
I was a little like WTF first, but then I thought about some of my family/friends that might watch it and then realized the best part of the program was showing/dramatizing how doing stupid things can be catastrophic. Yeah, watching a crack bugout would be cool and fun to watch with a bunch of hell yeahs, but watching failure seems almost more useful as a learning aid.

That is what I took away from the show, I can't tell you how many times I facepalmed while watching it; especially the times when they are walking through the desert and dont have any water...with a literal sea of cactus around them (cactus can be tapped for water, its really easy to do), I found myself yelling "CUT THE CACTUS OPEN YOU NIM-ROD!!!"

To watch where other people fail and have the chances to think to yourself "OK, how would I do that better, or get out of (insert example here)?" is a wonderful learning experience. Thats the value of 'war-gaming'.
BurtSaun1049
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/4/2010 12:46:22 AM
What's truly strange is that I watched this right when the first rain clouds were starting to form over my head in Nashville. Things like this truly do strike out of nowhere. Even now there are rumors of future water shortages. As I told my friends and family I was pretty much laughed at and given the whole, "that will never happen" spiel People seem very adamant to only believe what they want to because they're too fearful to believe what could happen.
"When a man knows he is to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully." -Samuel Johnson
CheeseSandwich
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/4/2010 12:54:57 AM
[Last Edit: 5/4/2010 12:56:49 AM by CheeseSandwich]
I'm not going to pile on so I'm just going to mention something that I learned from watching it. I liked how they used the old van as a solar cooker/dehydrater. I'd never thought of that.

/edit: tense
robie1
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/4/2010 1:02:06 PM
Originally Posted By Duggan:

People who care about their health and don't want to eat tons of preserved, nutritionally compromised food?

Crazy idea, I know.

(that's not to say you can't have more long term food in the house ... you just don't eat it, because you'd rather have fresh stuff if it's available).

That said, I probably visit the grocery store 2-3x a week ... it helps that it's a mile from my house, and that I work in food distribution.

DUDE: BUY A FREEZER!
robie1
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/5/2010 9:41:08 AM
Friend of mine just brought up a great point (even though it is kind of preaching to the choir on this forum). He said "Did you notice that the ONLY people who had any power were the ones with firearms"? They should have done more on that aspect.
monte84
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/5/2010 11:51:26 AM
That car may have just had rusty water in it, espeically if it seldom gets below freezing in that part of the country.
ClanDireWolf
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/5/2010 12:21:55 PM
Originally Posted By monte84:
That car may have just had rusty water in it, espeically if it seldom gets below freezing in that part of the country.

Its also called coolant! I doubt anyone uses just water anymore.

Plus doesn't take much to kill you.
goodmedicine
Grandpa's First, if we don't go kamikaze who will?
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/5/2010 12:40:49 PM
Interesting watch.

Thanks for the post and link wolverine.

GM
Proud father of enemy ass-kicker and destroyer of evil.

No medicine anymore: Just busy mice doing busy mouse things.
Sixpack595
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/5/2010 4:48:52 PM
Originally Posted By robie1:

Crazy idea, I know.

That sounds like the worst of both worlds. Frozen food is not fresh, and its next to useless in an SHTF situation.
manual_c0cker
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/22/2010 11:29:12 AM
I agree with most people here. It's replaying now, and I'm watching it for the first time. Good for getting the thought into people's heads, but there are many things I want to bitch and moan to the editors about.

Oh well, at least it addresses the issue, albeit in a condensed and very often incorrect way.

This is one of the reasons I love Arfcom. Before finding this site, I would have taken everything in this show as gospel. After a short time here, I am now able to pick out things the family does that are quite foolish, both in personal survival, and in the protection of your loved ones.
Lucky_lefty
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/22/2010 11:30:52 AM
its on the history channel right now.
fidelis ut meus infortunatus terra

MGNiko
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/22/2010 3:04:22 PM
[Last Edit: 5/22/2010 3:05:49 PM by MGNiko]

My MIL goes shopping 2 blocks away from her home DAILY. Has probably a few days total of various items in the house. Does not see the point on keeping a stock since the Safeway is just 2 blocks down the street. In Denver.
Alaska=Freedom!

"Your neighbor, who does not trust you with liberty - will sell you out to your enemies in a heartbeat for the simple promise of bread."--INVAR
AZsaiga
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/22/2010 7:25:09 PM
Thanks for the link.
I dropped cable TV 2 years ago and it was nice to be able to watch this online.
As for cable tv the savings that I have seen has been able to fill my pantry, I would estimate I have about 2 months of supplies and water set aside and still adding and rotating.

My son (14YO) had a hard time adjusting with out it, but netflix filled the void well enough and his grades went from B/C to A/B

just some food for thought... dump the cable and spend the 40-75 bucks a month on preps or paying off debt.
the 40-75 bucks add up quick
Crito
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/22/2010 10:08:03 PM
i have plenty of food stored... but if you live anywhere near a store... fresh fruits and veggies... I go twice a week to buy that stuff.

now if I was a regular joe ... then yeah the 3 day supply will be the rule.... also given the global trading being cutt off... yeah we will only have a 3 day supply of food as a nation.
jung
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/24/2010 2:32:09 AM
There were bits to ponder over. Seeing the whole "Do you know where mike is?" incident got me thinking - better drive around as to make it harder to follow me back to the safe house and hiding the car would also help avoid attracting the wrong crowd.
Duggan
Enlightened Nonbeliever.
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/24/2010 7:16:26 AM
Originally Posted By Sixpack595:
Originally Posted By robie1:

Crazy idea, I know.

That sounds like the worst of both worlds. Frozen food is not fresh, and its next to useless in an SHTF situation.

Many foods are also difficult to freeze properly, and often don't turn out well when unfrozen.

I don't want to deal with flash freezing lots of stuff, then thawing later on only to have an inferior end product ... when I can just go to the grocery store and get the freshest stuff every other day.

Again, this isn't to say that you can't have long term food stores ... but if given an option BEFORE SHTF, fresh is best. Growing your own organic stuff is even better.
Page:  / 3