Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2010 8:12:44 PM EDT
I peruse the survival forum from time to time, I mainly spend my time in GD, I've gotten some good info here though just reading others post.I decided to start putting a BOB together a few weeks ago, but I am wondering if I really need one.

My reasons for doubting this are, I live in a large metropolitan area, the D/FW area in Texas. If I did have to BO I would be doing so to my brothers house that is only about 30 minutes away. i don't travel out in the middle of no where so the need for one in my truck isn't really necessary, if  my truck broke down' help wouldn't be too far away.  So the only reason I can think of for needing a BOB with all of the survival items like water, cooking set, fishing kit, MRTs, etc is if TSHTF in a really big way and I needed to head for the hills, other than that I don't see myself being in a situation of needing a survival BOB. Give me some ideas why I should put one together.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 8:29:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I peruse the survival forum from time to time, I mainly spend my time in GD, I've gotten some good info here though just reading others post.I decided to start putting a BOB together a few weeks ago, but I am wondering if I really need one.

My reasons for doubting this are, I live in a large metropolitan area, the D/FW area in Texas. If I did have to BO I would be doing so to my brothers house that is only about 30 minutes away. i don't travel out in the middle of no where so the need for one in my truck isn't really necessary, if  my truck broke down' help wouldn't be too far away.  So the only reason I can think of for needing a BOB with all of the survival items like water, cooking set, fishing kit, MRTs, etc is if TSHTF in a really big way and I needed to head for the hills, other than that I don't see myself being in a situation of needing a survival BOB. Give me some ideas why I should put one together.

1. You live in a large metropolitan area.
2. How long would a 30 minute trip take when everyone else in the city is leaving too?
3. You answered you're own question.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 8:38:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

There are some answers that were thought up decades ago as useful or feel-good solutions reflecting the ideas at the time.  Now those ideas get regurgitated without thought, so it the idea does not apply to you now don't worry about it.

For you a BOB might be a change of underwear and your car keys.
Do you need professional credentials for your work?
Do you have some data or photos that you would rather not loose?
You might like to scan these documents and store them on an encrypted USB memory and keep that on your key ring.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 8:44:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I have lived in the area your in make a BOB! You know as well as I do that traffic sucks in that area I lived 7 miles away from work and it took me 30 mins to get home everyday. Now stop and think if you need to BUG out how bad the traffic would be! A good BOB can be a set and forget type thing make one throw it in the car then you know that anywhere you go you have some gear with you and something to carry it in! Never know when you will have to walk.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 8:49:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. You live in a large metropolitan area.
2. How long would a 30 minute trip take when everyone else in the city is leaving too?
3. You answered you're own question.

You might like to scan these documents and store them on an encrypted USB memory and keep that on your key ring.

All good points, thanks, that is the reason I wanted to ask why. Things to consider that I may not normally think of. I've thought about putting together one BOB for a 3 to 4 day survival if I had to BO to a remote location, if something happened and I had to ditch the truck, and another smaller one for a grab and go type. The  bag I bought isn't very big and would serve the grab and go situation well, but I need a large bag for all the surival gear for anything longer than a one day event.

Link Posted: 4/16/2010 8:53:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 8:53:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are some answers that were thought up decades ago as useful or feel-good solutions reflecting the ideas at the time.  Now those ideas get regurgitated without thought, so it the idea does not apply to you now don't worry about it.

For you a BOB might be a change of underwear and your car keys.
Do you need professional credentials for your work?
Do you have some data or photos that you would rather not loose?

Very true, the traffic sucks just on a regular day, I can only imagine how it would be in a SHTF situation. I guess I need to keep the mind set like when when hurricane Ike hit Texas and the traffic on I-45 was both lanes turned into one way only heading north. People setting for hours on the highway and running out of gas.

Link Posted: 4/16/2010 9:12:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Also, like others have stated, don't get caught up in thinking about worst case mad-max type scenarios to use a BOB.

Ex: A train or tractor-trailer spills hazardous waste near your home and the authorities tell you to evacuate NOW! Of course, your home probably won't be in danger of being overrun by zombies but you could be away from your home for hours or even days and if you have a bag put together with things you'll need over a 72 hour period you'll be just a little bit more comfortable/prepared.  Now, think about if that scenario happens when you're at work....or maybe a family gets admitted to the hospital and you need to stay the night with them without being able to go home first....etc etc

BOBs evolve and change very quickly and can't be fitted for every conceivable event. But just having something is far far better than nothing.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 9:28:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Also, like others have stated, don't get caught up in thinking about worst case mad-max type scenarios to use a BOB.

Ex: A train or tractor-trailer spills hazardous waste near your home and the authorities tell you to evacuate NOW! Of course, your home probably won't be in danger of being overrun by zombies but you could be away from your home for hours or even days and if you have a bag put together with things you'll need over a 72 hour period you'll be just a little bit more comfortable/prepared.  Now, think about if that scenario happens when you're at work....or maybe a family gets admitted to the hospital and you need to stay the night with them without being able to go home first....etc etc

BOBs evolve and change very quickly and can't be fitted for every conceivable event. But just having something is far far better than nothing.[/quote]

I am seeing that in the replies. One good thing is that i live where i work, I'm an apartment maintenance tech. Could use some suggestions on a good BOB. I also had been wondering what would be better for a long term BOb if you needed to hike for an extended period of time say a few days, a backpacking type with a metal frame or the .mil MOLLE type. the small one i bought is the MOLLE type.

Link Posted: 4/16/2010 9:57:12 PM EDT
[#10]
a frame pak hands down...

K.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 10:04:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 11:19:04 PM EDT
[#12]
i live on the edge of a metro area. i have several friends about 15 minutes away during normal times, and in multiple directions. i could crash there if i needed to in a minor event. but it's nice to NOT show up empty handed.

i keep a bag in the truck as a "get home bag". it's got snacks, water, complete first aid kit, spare clothes, knit watch cap, warm gloves, leather work gloves, spare socks, toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, TP and other stuff.

last year my next door neighbor went nutso and had his kids hostage in an upstairs bedroom. the PD wasn't letting ANYONE onto the street, and if i'd been home they probably would have told me to leave. everything was over by the time i got home that evening, everything was "code 4", but if i'd been on the way home i might have needed something to either wait at the end of the block or go somewhere else.

i've had pants rip out in the crotch. nice to have a spare pair in the truck. i've stepped in mud puddles. nice to have dry socks and clean shoes. i've wrecked shirts at work, or needed a shirt that wouldn't be a problem to get grungy in the warehouse. nice to be able to change into a clean shirt and not have to wear warehouse dust in the office all day. i've had flat tires that needed changing. nice to have gloves. i've had my previous vehicle hit and totaled. a camera would have been nice. and i've used the FAK a bunch for mostly minor stuff.

i've also got two BOBs at home. i need to tear the larger one apart and rework it. but one is larger (three day pack), one is smaller (Camelbak HAWG), and i have camping gear in totes that are easy to load without a bunch of hunting around.

there's all kinds of little reasons why having a BOB is a good idea. if it's properly packed you may use it 100 times for little stuff before you ever need it for something "BIG".

there are also other things that happen. natural gas leaks, water main leaks, cars or planes crashing into homes, sinkholes, house next door catches fire, YOUR house catches fire, wife kicks you out, tornado tears up your neighborhood, etc. watch the evening news and there's usually some odd event where you think "glad that didn't happen here"... but what if one day it did? doesn't have to be THAT specific event, but something like that.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 2:46:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I am seeing that in the replies. One good thing is that i live where i work, I'm an apartment maintenance tech. Could use some suggestions on a good BOB. I also had been wondering what would be better for a long term BOb if you needed to hike for an extended period of time say a few days, a backpacking type with a metal frame or the .mil MOLLE type. the small one i bought is the MOLLE type.

1- get your torso sized

2- buy a pack with a frame( internal or external doesnt matter but it HAS to have one)

3- pack your BOB and use it- walk with it ,camp out of it etc.

4- your BOB and my BOB will never be the same ( some items will be ,but size,amount and type of gear will be different)

5- use your BOB ( see #3)

6 repaet 5 and 3 until you die of old age.

7- weight is king, watch it.

8- get good hiking shoes/boots/socks. You feet carry you and your BOB. They go down you go down.

set a budget and length of trip ( 30 minutes lets say 40 miles). 4 days at 10 miles a day( right about now some pecker head is laughing saying thats slow. well i for one would rather not be seen,and make it to my BOL.)

4 days you'll want at least 3000-4000ci for an all season pack.

bold-

then you should see the issues of staying in place with out power,water,gas etc.What stupid neighbors can do with something as simple as a tampon on a third floor toilet....let alone if they try to cook with out gas/power!

CAMT here bro
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 8:34:27 AM EDT
[#14]
My responce is just in case something major happens. You can get what you want and hop on that Harley of yours and get out of Dodge.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 10:17:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Why you need a pack depends on what you are planning for. One day I spilled coffee on my clothes before work, and since then I have carried spare clothes. Had to do some work in a very muddy place, so now I have a spare set of boots. When I lived in LA, it took 8 hours to get about 50 miles during a holiday weekend. I now carry extra food, water, shelter/sleeping bag, as well as gas, flashlights, and cash.

If you live in a metropolitan area, and plan to bug out to a metropolitan area, never go outside the metropolitan area, and your plan if you break down is "help is close by", then there isn't much to help you with since your mentality isn't to the point of "if something happens, and I'm on my own, how can I survive, and get somewhere safe". I don't mean to be mean or pretend to be ready to live off the land, but thinking if your vehicle breaks down while SHTF, or even just a riot after a sports game, and you will be 100% safe and able to get help quickly, you really aren't planning to the point where you need a BOB.

In this day and age where everything is JIT (just in time, meaning nobody stocks the shelves or has storage on site), thinking you can pick up what you need on the way home, or on the way out of town is just planning to fail. IMO, the mentality of the Survival forum is to get people able to go from normal life to anywhere from minor inconvenience to major catastrophe without panic, and without having to go to a populated place with panicked people to 'stock up'. Its not hoping for SHTF (for most), but being prepared, and knowing you have the mindset, tools, and preparedness to cope with the majority of situations.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 4:07:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Part of the issue is just the name. B.O.B. presupposes you are going to "Bug Out" which might not be the case. There are several instances where parts of my BOB would come in useful.

It would be a rare and unlikely scenario that I would go live like a mountain man and carry all the crap so many people decide to pack in their "BOB's".

My pack consists of stuff to make my life more comfortable while getting me to any number of places that would be safer than my current location. I would most likely choose to stay in a hotel if it were available on my way there. That's why I think half the junk people pack could be replaced with $1000.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 7:21:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Why you need a pack depends on what you are planning for. One day I spilled coffee on my clothes before work, and since then I have carried spare clothes. Had to do some work in a very muddy place, so now I have a spare set of boots. When I lived in LA, it took 8 hours to get about 50 miles during a holiday weekend. I now carry extra food, water, shelter/sleeping bag, as well as gas, flashlights, and cash.

If you live in a metropolitan area, and plan to bug out to a metropolitan area, never go outside the metropolitan area, and your plan if you break down is "help is close by", then there isn't much to help you with since your mentality isn't to the point of "if something happens, and I'm on my own, how can I survive, and get somewhere safe". I don't mean to be mean or pretend to be ready to live off the land, but thinking if your vehicle breaks down while SHTF, or even just a riot after a sports game, and you will be 100% safe and able to get help quickly, you really aren't planning to the point where you need a BOB.

In this day and age where everything is JIT (just in time, meaning nobody stocks the shelves or has storage on site), thinking you can pick up what you need on the way home, or on the way out of town is just planning to fail. IMO, the mentality of the Survival forum is to get people able to go from normal life to anywhere from minor inconvenience to major catastrophe without panic, and without having to go to a populated place with panicked people to 'stock up'. Its not hoping for SHTF (for most), but being prepared, and knowing you have the mindset, tools, and preparedness to cope with the majority of situations.

Yours and the other replies is why I posted my topic, it is all food for thought, and good reasons to make up a BOB. If I did BO to my brothers place, it's not in the metro area, it's far enough out to feel safe but not so far that I couldn't make it with much trouble, unless there was a total SHTF break down. I have already bought some things for the BOB, and over the next few weeks I will be getting the rest of the items I think I will need. I guess you can never be too prepared.

Thanks to all for your responses, definitely a lot of things to consider. I may try to get a pic tomorrow of the BOB and a list of items I have and what I want to get to finish it off.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:42:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It doesn't have to be anytihng fancy. For one, what would you get if you're leaving your house for good, never coming back again? Say a fireman tells you you have one minute before leaving your house on flames. You grab some cash? some clothes? insurance papers? birth certificates, passport? A gun?
You have to leave on a long trip. Natural or man made disaster is frocing you out of your home, you never thought it would happen but guess waht, so did everyone else that went through that.
What do you take with you if you can expect no help from anyone no supplies: You want water, some food, medicines, a gun (tihngs people were killing each other for in Chile after the quake) clothes, a stove, sleeping bag, tent.
What I do is, I have a couple BOB for me and the family, an ammo bag for the guns I keep ready, and a waterproof bag with important documents, papers and photos.  It can all be grabbed in a few seconds.

FerFAL
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:19:45 AM EDT
[#19]
my wife has been ill for a few years and I made her a grab bag that lives under the bed.

it is just a black ( tactical
) holdall with a wash kit , pj's , towel , underwear.

plus a bag of all her medication and laminated copies of all her drugs and her medical history and as she has difficulty with speech , a list a list of contact numbers with me at the top .

BOB don't need to "john Rambo" the members on the SF are good people and I have learnt a lot for them , well most of them , the rest are all crazy

john.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 9:31:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Most recent use of my BOB was this winter when I crashed for two days in a hotel near work rather than drag my ass 47 miles home through the snow on un-plowed roads.  Nice to have clean socks, and a change of clothes.  Nice to have some food and snacks when the hotel restaurant was closed and the vending machines were empty.  Nice to have my own razor and snivel gear.

Previous use was changing a tire in the pouring rain.  Nice to have a set of FroggToggs in my bag to keep me warm and dry.  Nice to have some work gloves to protect my hands.  Nice to have a headlamp and flashlight to make the job easier and safer.

The BOB bag, not just for bugging out!

stasiman
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 9:37:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Here read this.  Hurricane Katrina  It's a lot of info to take in, but it gives good reasons to build a BOB.  It hasn't been updated in a long time, but I know he's a member here.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:36:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Here's the BOB and a list of items so far.

1st trauma aid kit, I added a few things to it such as bug bite treatment stick, bug repellent w/sun screen, small snake bite kit, a few bandages that weren't in the kit, finger splints and a few other things.

2Liter water bladder.

100' para cord.

water proof matches, candles, I know some of you will say ditch the candles, I may not sure yet, I was thinking about getting one of those candle lanterns, that'd be nice to use inside a tent, not sure on that yet though.

Small fishing kit, split shot sinkers, hooks, float line a few jigs, may make some flies.

Emergency blanket, there's also a fleece blanket not in the pic.

Small set of binos.

Buck sheath knife.

small fold up spade for a shovel.

Fork, knife, spoon set.

1 piece of 10x10 foil folded up to about 2x2.

2 small terry cloth towels.

small mess kit for 2.

zip ties and a few small velcro straps.

3 small compression stuff sacks,

a combination compass, thermometer, magnifying glass, mirror, whistle. It's a cheap one for now, will get a better one when money allows, I will be getting the mil spec one that was in another thread.

2-.45s and 1- AR-15 just to give ya a little gun porn, but in a quick BO at least one of the 45s and the AR would be bugging out with me.

I'm thinking about using this one for a truck bag and getting a 3 day pack for a real BOB with the camping items stored in it.

Still on the list to get is a 1 or 2 man tent, some freeze dried food and nutrition bars etc. may get a fire starter, but I have the water proof matches for now, but don't want to depend on them alone. I guess this bag would at least get me to where I need to go for at least one day.

So any suggestions, any and all welcome as usual.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 8:28:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t128/txharleyguy46/520_4_.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t128/txharleyguy46/DSCN1314.jpg

1st trauma aid kit, I added a few things to it such as bug bite treatment stick, bug repellent w/sun screen, small snake bite kit, a few bandages that weren't in the kit, finger splints and a few other things.

2Liter water bladder.

100' para cord.

water proof matches, candles, I know some of you will say ditch the candles, I may not sure yet, I was thinking about getting one of those candle lanterns, that'd be nice to use inside a tent, not sure on that yet though.

Small fishing kit, split shot sinkers, hooks, float line a few jigs, may make some flies.

Small set of binos.

Buck sheath knife.

Fork, knife, spoon set.

small mess kit for 2.

a combination compass, thermometer, magnifying glass, mirror, whistle. It's a cheap one for now, will get a better one when money allows, I will be getting the mil spec one that was in another thread.

2-.45s and 1- AR-15 just to give ya a little gun porn, but in a quick BO at least one of the 45s and the AR would be bugging out with me.

I'm thinking about using this one for a truck bag and getting a 3 day pack for a real BOB with the camping items stored in it.

Still on the list to get is a 1 or 2 man tent, some freeze dried food and nutrition bars etc. may get a fire starter, but I have the water proof matches for now, but don't want to depend on them alone. I guess this bag would at least get me to where I need to go for at least one day.

Extra socks, and I've got an 10x10 tarp in mine that is good for just about anything, fuck the tent.  I also have two German surplus wool blankets that are very warm but weigh nothing, and a pair of underarmor coldgear leggings and coldgear matching top, in case the nights get a little brisk, or I just want/need to change my clothes.

My bug-out gun is wrapped in a mossy-oak self-adhesive ace bandage type of thing, so it provides camo and doubles as an ace bandage.  I have a tiny bic lighter and an old vitamin bottle stuffed with 0000 steel wool and a 9v battery in a different pocket in case I need to start a fire wet.  2 extra ar mags, field guide relevent to my AO for edible/poisonous plants, and a small stainless flask of whiskey.  All that and a lot more packed into a camelback.  Weighs (if memory serves me) about 11 or 12 pounds total.

ETA:  You know, I see you're in Texas.  Lots of critters that might want to warm up next to you in your sleep down there and the mosquitos probably get pretty bad too.  There are companies that make hammocks with mosquito nets that are tough and will keep you off the ground and will wad up basically into your back pocket.  That might be another option for you.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 10:37:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t128/txharleyguy46/520_4_.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t128/txharleyguy46/DSCN1314.jpg

2Liter water bladder.

100' para cord.

Small set of binos.

Buck sheath knife.

Fork, knife, spoon set.

small mess kit for 2.

Some kind of sharpening device for the knife, get whatever your skilled enough to use. Other than that looks like a good start to me.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 10:43:22 PM EDT
[#25]
A boonie style hat that can be folded up and stuffed in there will help keep the sun away as well.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 6:04:59 AM EDT
[#26]
I spent a lot of time in D/FW at a previous job.. I remember a wreck that occurred on SB75 at ~2:30 pm. I turned on the radio that evening at 9 pm and it was still blocking the highway. I remember that one in particular because I drove by it about 3:30 and people were sitting on top of their cars. It was the middle of summer and 100+ degrees.

You will be 100% fooked if TSHTF and people are trying to get out.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 10:03:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
A boonie style hat that can be folded up and stuffed in there will help keep the sun away as well.

That would be a good idea too, I saw on survivor man that he used one to boil water with, IIRC he put hot rocks in it, the other post above yours have other good ideas too, I do plan on putting in a sharpening  stone, socks and other things. I have a small ax that I will put in it too, but I can't decide if I want to add a machete and ditch the ax or both, ya never when you may have to cut your way through some thick vegetation. Thanks again all for your ideas, keep em coming if ya got em.
Link Posted: 4/23/2010 5:48:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Did not see a flashlight or headlamp in your kit (might just be my poor eyes).  I have used the lights in my BOB more than anything else besides (and in conjunction with) my IFAK.  This despite the fact that I've got flashlights falling out of every drawer and crevice of my home and vehicle.  I'm a bit of a flashlight whore.

stasiman
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top