Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 18
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 1:32:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MK262] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By psytechguy:
I'm assuming there'll still be sex after SHTF, TEOTWAWKI.  
What about treatment for STD's?

Chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, etc.

View Quote

Gonorrhea = a single 250mg dose of Ceftriaxone IM + either Doxy (100mg twice daily for 7 days) or Azithromycin (1000mg single dose).

Chlamydia = a single 1000mg dose of Azithromycin, or 100mg of doxy twice a day for 7 days, or 500mg of levofloxcin once daily for 7 days.

Syphilis = 2.4 million units Penicillin G IM or 100mg Doxy twice a day for 14 days

Or you could just cover your junk which is pretty effective in preventing such things when used properly (@80-85%).
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 11:00:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 12:30:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:

Actually, GC often requires the 2g single-dose Zithromax treatment.  One gram won't do it in many cases.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MK262:
Originally Posted By psytechguy:
I'm assuming there'll still be sex after SHTF, TEOTWAWKI.  
What about treatment for STD's?

Chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, etc.

Gonorrhea = a single 250mg dose of Ceftriaxone IM + either Doxy (100mg twice daily for 7 days) or Azithromycin (1000mg single dose).

Chlamydia = a single 1000mg dose of Azithromycin, or 100mg of doxy twice a day for 7 days, or 500mg of levofloxcin once daily for 7 days.

Syphilis = 2.4 million units Penicillin G IM or 100mg Doxy twice a day for 14 days

Or you could just cover your junk which is pretty effective in preventing such things when used properly (@80-85%).

Actually, GC often requires the 2g single-dose Zithromax treatment.  One gram won't do it in many cases.

I thought the 1g of Azithromycin wasn't really for the GC, but just because we always treat for Chlamydia whenever we treat for GC. It was my understanding that the Ceftriaxone handled the GC, and the Azithromycin handled any co-infection with Chlamydia. Is that incorrect?

I took that info straight from the 2013 version of Lange's Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment. If it doesn't match up with real world medicine, they need to update the 2014 version. I understand antibiotic resistance is constantly changing, so it's not really their fault if it isn't up to date.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#4]
whew, just read through the entire thread...only a few hours of my life!  Lots of great advice here. I cant decide if I'm surprised or not at the number of folks who want be their own Dr./ prescriber.   In the case of true stock piling for SHTF, take your best shot, swallow what your got and hope!  I too may be adding to my stockpile :)

As should be obvious to anyone paying attention there is a reason that your typical Physician has a minimum of 11 years higher education, often more.  Be careful with this stuff as was pointed out earlier, even within the medical profession there is admonition not to treat oneself.

"The Dr who treats himself has a fool for a patient"
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 10:29:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hoosier122] [#5]

Here is an experiment we did in our Ethnobotany class this semester to test the effectiveness of various antibiotics against three types of bacteria. Basically the three types of bacteria were spread on Petry dishes. Five, 6.4mm paper dots were arranged  on each dish and treated with water, garlic, ampicillin, carbenicillin and chloramphenicol. Bacteria was left to grow for two weeks in ideal conditions and these were the results.

Bacteria Growth

Treatment

E. Coli (HB101) (mm)

E. Coli (HB101T) (mm)

S. Epidermidis (mm)

garlic

ampicillin

carbenicillin

chloramphenicol

1. Does garlic have antibacterial properties? Explain. The data shows that garlic inhibited growth of both types of E. Coli and S. Epidermidis better than the known antibiotic chloramphenicol. Garlic was most effective against S. Epidermidis and actually inhibited growth better than ampicillin and carbenicillin. Garlic was least effective in inhibiting the growth of E. Coli (HB101). So, yes, it would be safe to conclude that garlic has antibacterial properties. Before the experiment, we had predicted that "applying the allicin found in garlic to bacterial cultures will slow (or kill) the spread and density of bacterial growth.”

Explain observations between E. Coli HB101 and HB101T? Before the experiment, we were told that HB101T has extra genes for antibiotic resistance (to ampicillin) and glowing under ultraviolet light. In our experiment, HB101T growth with ampicillin treatments was 8.6 mm, carbenicllin-HB101T was 9.6 mm, garlic-HB101T was 19.2 mm and chloramphenicol-HB101T was 24.2 mm. Bacteria growth was larger in ever treatment for HB101 than HB101T, except in the case of chloramphenicol, when bacteria growth was 24.2 mm for HB101T and only 21.6 mm for HB101. We can conclude that ampicillin and carbenicillin inhibited the growth of E. Coli HB101 and HB101T better than other treatments. This is probably because of genetic differences in the treatments.

Link Posted: 5/10/2014 8:53:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rich_V] [#6]
hoosier122,
The experiment you did in your Ethnobotany class is an antibiotic susceptibility test. This is a commonly used test to determine how susceptible bacteria are to an antibiotic. In that role it is a good way to select the appropriate antibiotic to treat an infection.

What it is not good for, or intended to be, is to randomly determine if a substance will be a good antibiotic. Many things will prevent bacterial growth but that does not make them a drug suitable for fighting bacterial infections.

For example, you could test sulfuric acid in this assay and it would show positive antibacterial properties. That does not make sulfuric acid a drug.

I am a medicinal chemist and have worked on developing anti-infective and oncology drugs for the past 30 years. I know a bit about what it takes to turn a chemical into a drug.

Garlic does have antibiotic activity and it will probably work as a topical antibiotic. It will not be a drug used for treating a systemic infection because it does not have the required drug properties.

To be a drug a compound must meet several criteria:

It must be active against its target. In this case it must prevent bacterial growth (bacteriostatic) or be toxic (bactericidal) to bacteria. Both garlic and sulfuric acid meet these criteria.

It must be selective for the target and have a therapeutic window. This basically means it is active against the target in a concentration that is not toxic to you.  Garlic meets these criteria, sulfuric acid not so much.

It must be adsorbed and reach its intended target. If you are developing an oral drug it must be absorbed from the GI system and distribute into general circulation (IV bypasses this). Once in circulation it must reach and maintain a minimum concentration and duration to be effective on its target. For antibacterial drugs this is the minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC). To be effective the drug must stay above this level for a time sufficient to kill or prevent bacterial growth. The exact concentration and duration will be drug specific and is defined by its pharmacodynamics.  Garlic fails here because the absorption and metabolism of the active ingredients does not allow these criteria to be met.

Once in circulation the drug must reach the site of infection. If it is a skin/soft tissue infection the drug must be distributed into the skin/tissue at a concentration above the MIC to be effective. If it is a brain infection (encephalitis) the drug must be able to penetrate the blood brain barrier. This is true for any site of infection and is a major factor in selecting an appropriate antibiotic.

Those are the bare minimum requirements for a chemical to be used as a drug. I did not cover metabolism, drug- drug interactions, excretion and a host of other hurtles that need to be cleared to have a safe and effective drug.

There is a reason why developing new drugs takes ten years and a $1,000,000,000.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 9:01:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 9:48:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I was going to say something about the oral bioavailability of garlic, but you saved me the trouble.  
View Quote

ADME is such a simple concept once it is explained and a complete mystery to those who are unaware of it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By Rich_V:

hoosier122,

The experiment you did in your Ethnobotany class is an antibiotic susceptibility test. This is a commonly used test to determine how susceptible bacteria are to an antibiotic. In that role it is a good way to select the appropriate antibiotic to treat an infection.

What it is not good for, or intended to be, is to randomly determine if a substance will be a good antibiotic. Many things will prevent bacterial growth but that does not make them a drug suitable for fighting bacterial infections.

For example, you could test sulfuric acid in this assay and it would show positive antibacterial properties. That does not make sulfuric acid a drug.

I am a medicinal chemist and have worked on developing anti-infective and oncology drugs for the past 30 years. I know a bit about what it takes to turn a chemical into a drug.

Garlic does have antibiotic activity and it will probably work as a topical antibiotic. It will not be a drug used for treating a systemic infection because it does not have the required drug properties.

To be a drug a compound must meet several criteria:

It must be active against its target. In this case it must prevent bacterial growth (bacteriostatic) or be toxic (bactericidal) to bacteria. Both garlic and sulfuric acid meet these criteria.

It must be selective for the target and have a therapeutic window. This basically means it is active against the target in a concentration that is not toxic to you.  Garlic meets these criteria, sulfuric acid not so much.

It must be adsorbed and reach its intended target. If you are developing an oral drug it must be absorbed from the GI system and distribute into general circulation (IV bypasses this). Once in circulation it must reach and maintain a minimum concentration and duration to be effective on its target. For antibacterial drugs this is the minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC). To be effective the drug must stay above this level for a time sufficient to kill or prevent bacterial growth. The exact concentration and duration will be drug specific and is defined by its pharmacodynamics.  Garlic fails here because the absorption and metabolism of the active ingredients does not allow these criteria to be met.

Once in circulation the drug must reach the site of infection. If it is a skin/soft tissue infection the drug must be distributed into the skin/tissue at a concentration above the MIC to be effective. If it is a brain infection (encephalitis) the drug must be able to penetrate the blood brain barrier. This is true for any site of infection and is a major factor in selecting an appropriate antibiotic.

Those are the bare minimum requirements for a chemical to be used as a drug. I did not cover metabolism, drug- drug interactions, excretion and a host of other hurtles that need to be cleared to have a safe and effective drug.

There is a reason why developing new drugs takes ten years and a $1,000,000,000.

View Quote

Yep. Just posted our class's work because I thought it may be interesting. Sample size was n = 15 for each treatment. It was no way intended to be used as a guide for medicinal use ... just "The More You Know" kind of thing.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:57:42 AM EDT
[#10]
For those who chose this approach, drugs.com has a decent symptom and dosing listing. Antibiotics, if taken incorrectly can kill you. I print the info off, have it scan in placed in a binder.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:26:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#11]
Originally Posted By jj01:
For those who chose this approach, drugs.com has a decent symptom and dosing listing. Antibiotics, if taken incorrectly can kill you. I print the info off, have it scan in placed in a binder.
View Quote

"Antibiotics, if taken incorrectly can kill you."

Please don't leave us in suspense.

What are some examples of using common oral antibiotics and killing ourselves or our fish?

[Please leave the tetracycline myths out of them]

Link Posted: 6/25/2014 6:31:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cnatra] [#12]

So does this online store have a good reputation ?

Think I'm going to stock up on some .

Link Posted: 6/25/2014 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By cnatra:

Think I'm going to stick up on some .

View All Quotes

I think I've ordered some through their ebay store, although this online store seems to be a bit better deal. No issues.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 6:41:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AGW] [#14]
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 3:08:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By gogetumnow:

I think I've ordered some through their ebay store, although this online store seems to be a bit better deal. No issues.
View All Quotes

so it seems Aquatic Pharmacy is closed UFA  ,  any other reliable sources ??

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:34:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Heuristic] [#16]

View All Quotes

The aquaticpharmacy.com website is down (7/19/2014) as well as their ebay store appears out of product.
I sent them an email to see if they are still operating. My fish are sick!!

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 9:58:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Heuristic:

The aquaticpharmacy.com website is down (7/19/2014) as well as their ebay store appears out of product.

View All Quotes

Looks like the FDA took an interest in the fish ABx business. Not surprising, they don't want the public to have free access to prescription drugs.

Carpe diem
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 10:08:32 AM EDT
[#18]

Looks like the FDA took an interest in the fish ABx business. Not surprising, they don't want the public to have free access to prescription drugs.

Carpe diem
View All Quotes

Carpe diem

Indeed.
Their ebay store is 'on vacation' as well. The feds must have pinched them big time.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:42:37 PM EDT
[#20]

I have been taking Clindamycin for a gum infection (I have a pen allergy) I was worried about

it causing C.diff.

So i have been taking a lot of probiotics . I don't know if it will help but it cant hurt.

Any thoughts on probiotics and C. Dif.?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

Same here. I would give them a +1,  I've bought from them a few times.  Used them too.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Thoth8:
[div style='text-indent: 20px;']I have been taking Clindamycin for a gum infection (I have a pen allergy) I was worried about
[div style='text-indent: 20px;']it causing C.diff.
[div style='text-indent: 20px;']

[div style='text-indent: 20px;']So i have been taking a lot of probiotics . I don't know if it will help but it cant hurt.
[div style='text-indent: 20px;']Any thoughts on probiotics and C. Dif.?
View Quote

Probiotics may be helpful.

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/clostridium-difficile-and-probiotics?source=outline_link&view=text&anchor=H5#H5

If they fail, only thing you can do is treat the C. diff with oral Vancomycin or Metronidazole.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:42:46 PM EDT
[#23]

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/clostridium-difficile-and-probiotics?source=outline_link&view=text&anchor=H5#H5

If they fail, only thing you can do is treat the C. diff with oral Vancomycin or Metronidazole.
View All Quotes
[div style='text-indent: 20px;']I have been taking Clindamycin for a gum infection (I have a pen allergy) I was worried about

[div style='text-indent: 20px;']So i have been taking a lot of probiotics . I don't know if it will help but it cant hurt.

No love for the fecal microbiota transplant?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:56:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Gators-n-Guns:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gators-n-Guns:

I would touch that "shit" with gloves and a ten foot pole.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 3:15:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: x5060] [#25]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:

They've gone up on their prices on a lot of stuff lately, I found some much cheaper prices on eBay recently on a number of items, sometimes 10-12 bucks a bottle cheaper.

RE: Tetracycline; Go to your local feed store, they have 6.4 oz bags of the stuff for 5-7 bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/aquabiotics/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dragynn:

They've gone up on their prices on a lot of stuff lately, I found some much cheaper prices on eBay recently on a number of items, sometimes 10-12 bucks a bottle cheaper.

RE: Tetracycline; Go to your local feed store, they have 6.4 oz bags of the stuff for 5-7 bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/aquabiotics/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Is that the Oxytetracycline? Is that the same thing?

I just started my stockpile for my fishes and was hoping for some guidance.

What I just bought:
Amoxicillin (500mg x100)
Cipro (500mg x30)
Cephalexin (500mg x30)

I would like to add:
Flagyl
Levaquin
Fluconazole
Doxycycline

But the doxycycline is expensive considering it's short shelf life. I'd rather be able to get a bag of that tetracycline instead for 5$.

Is that a pretty good start? I've been studying this thread and making a spreadsheet to aid in diagnosing for treatment using these fish antibiotics.

ETA: on Tractor Supply Companies site they have a Durvet Pen Aqueous that appears to just be Pen-G and a Dutvet Duramycin which appears to be oxytetracycline in liquid IM form. Also there is liquamycin which appears to be a long acting Oxytetracycline. Are any of these human safe?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/durvetreg%3B-pen-aqueous-250-ml

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/pfizer-animal-health-liquamycin-la-200-250-ml

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/duramycin-72-200mg-250-ml-durvet-drug
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:57:29 PM EDT
[#26]
There is a government study that was done for fema, kinda hard to find now for some reason,  they probably don't want you to know about it now lol.   Anyway,  they studied all manner of rx that were from two to ten years past their shelf life.

The results were interesting,  they found in almost every case the drugs kept their potency and were perfectly fine to use.   Obviously,  this did not apply to liquid medicine,  the properties change for liquids.

Of course the report has disappeared because they don't want you keeping and reusing your your old drugs.   They want you to buy new ones.

Another secret that came out was that almost all,  well at the time of the report,  all animal antibiotics were the same as those made for human consumption.   In other words they are the same.  

You can verify this for yourself,  buy some fish antibiotics and look up the code on the pill.   You will find it is the same pill made for us only sold at for pet prices.   They just isn't the market to gear up manufacturing just for pets.   Only thing changed is packaging.

Today things have exploded though and you should vet the rx and maker carefully.

Having said that,  I  am looking for new place to buy myself.   My supply has been depleted or lost to some water damage and the site I bought from is no longer around.

Would appreciate if you could hit me with a link or two per message.   I appreciate it.   I say message because this site is huge lol.   Afraid i might not find the post again lol.

I  thank you ahead of time,  looking for places to refill antibiotics supply,  no scripts needed.

Don
the bot
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:25:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Question on bacteriostatic ABX:  Since there success hinges on a normal functioning immune system and hunger/starvation being a real possibility if some major event occurred; what would you think of focusing on cidal ABX instead?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#28]
So much good information here.   A big thank you to the medical trained folks for your input.  It looks like a lot of these fish meds are getting hard to find.    Either people are hoarding, or the feds are doing what they do best.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 2:01:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 5:31:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Considering the amount of resistance to common antibiotics (like sulfa and cipro for UTIs), you might be better off going with a bacteriostatic antibiotic like nitrofurantoin, where the resistance may only be a couple of percent (unlike 30% plus for the other two).

Just a thought.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2ndamendmentknights:
Question on bacteriostatic ABX:  Since there success hinges on a normal functioning immune system and hunger/starvation being a real possibility if some major event occurred; what would you think of focusing on cidal ABX instead?

Considering the amount of resistance to common antibiotics (like sulfa and cipro for UTIs), you might be better off going with a bacteriostatic antibiotic like nitrofurantoin, where the resistance may only be a couple of percent (unlike 30% plus for the other two).

Just a thought.

Nice thing about cipro for UTI is when it works it's FAST. My wife felt 100% better in 24 hours, gone in 3 days.
Too bad we are slowly losing these agents to resistance.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:50:05 PM EDT
[#31]
anyone know where you can get fish doxy (doxycycline) in capsules? so far only found powder.. Or is the powder fine just to mix in a glass of water? Its the only one I'm having issues tracking down in a capsule form.

Great thread by the way, much appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By AimsOff:
anyone know where you can get fish doxy (doxycycline) in capsules? so far only found powder.. Or is the powder fine just to mix in a glass of water? Its the only one I'm having issues tracking down in a capsule form.

Great thread by the way, much appreciated.
View Quote

aquatic pharmacy

It has become ridiculously expensive.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:12:45 PM EDT
[#33]
That site was shut-down. I have had good luck with http://aquabiotics.net
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:13:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#34]
Best prices for a lot of stuff are on eBay.

140 listings for Doxy

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:48:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:05:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By EXPY37:
Best prices for a lot of stuff are on eBay.

140 listings for Doxy

View Quote

Thanks to everyone who responded to help. After wading through the various sellers I did find one with the blister packs I was looking for and an excellent overview of the product and exp date info, also had all 3 items I was looking for. Should have them by this Friday!

Again thanks.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:40:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Ryerle51:

Sanford's is a classic, but I like the John Hopkins guide a bit betterAmazon link  They also have a free website you can use with a computer (can't use it with smart phone)
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mr_Psmith:
Get This:
(but get the latest year, obviously)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31lDSlSBeuL._SL500_.jpg

Ah, Sanford-and-Son... a classic.

ETA: to answer the post above P-Smith's... Keflex (Cephalexin) is just more gram-positive coverage, like the amoxicillin.  It may cover a bit more, but it's a beta-lactam antibiotic, just like the penicillins.  There isn't much difference in the coverage spectrum from an amino-penicillin (like Amoxicillin) and a first-generation cephalosporin (Keflex).  In fact, a bacteria resistant to penicillins is likely to be resistant to a first-gen cephalosporin as well... since the beta-lactamase enzyme that protects the bacteria will attack the beta-lactam ring that both antibiotics possess.

Sanford's is a classic, but I like the John Hopkins guide a bit betterAmazon link  They also have a free website you can use with a computer (can't use it with smart phone)

Do these guides break things out so that general people can understand? A lot of times I'm like what is THAT when I read dosage info, then I have to search the term they used just to find out what illness there talking about.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:01:21 PM EDT
[#38]

Do these guides break things out so that general people can understand? A lot of times I'm like what is THAT when I read dosage info, then I have to search the term they used just to find out what illness there talking about.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mr_Psmith:
Get This:
(but get the latest year, obviously)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31lDSlSBeuL._SL500_.jpg

Ah, Sanford-and-Son... a classic.

ETA: to answer the post above P-Smith's... Keflex (Cephalexin) is just more gram-positive coverage, like the amoxicillin.  It may cover a bit more, but it's a beta-lactam antibiotic, just like the penicillins.  There isn't much difference in the coverage spectrum from an amino-penicillin (like Amoxicillin) and a first-generation cephalosporin (Keflex).  In fact, a bacteria resistant to penicillins is likely to be resistant to a first-gen cephalosporin as well... since the beta-lactamase enzyme that protects the bacteria will attack the beta-lactam ring that both antibiotics possess.

This is easy to use and I keep it in my pocket while seeing patients.

http://www.amazon.com/Tarascon-Pocket-Pharmacopoeia-Classic-Edition/dp/1284026701/ref=dp_ob_title_bk
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:28:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Does your doctor believe that quinolone type antibiotics may lead to crohn's disease if the patient has a genetic disposition to the disease? I only ask because my uncle has crohns that some doctors have blamed on the flouroquinoline type antibiotics. Just a curious question
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:23:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By southy5678:
Does your doctor believe that quinolone type antibiotics may lead to crohn's disease if the patient has a genetic disposition to the disease? I only ask because my uncle has crohns that some doctors have blamed on the flouroquinoline type antibiotics. Just a curious question
View Quote

The latest research has identified a specific type of bacteria that may be responsible for IBD, though it still has yet to be proven.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/inflammatory-bowel-disease/
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#42]
I haven't read all 26 pages, so forgive me if this was already posted, but I found this by accident and thought it would be helpful...

WHO List of Essential Medicines

Seeing as I am putting together the medical preps for my wife and I, and seeing as my wife is prone to various conditions, I would love to have a better understanding of this list, what is really "essential", and how to get and administer it.

Either way, I hope the list helps.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Zaphod:
I haven't read all 26 pages, so forgive me if this was already posted, but I found this by accident and thought it would be helpful...

WHO List of Essential Medicines

Seeing as I am putting together the medical preps for my wife and I, and seeing as my wife is prone to various conditions, I would love to have a better understanding of this list, what is really "essential", and how to get and administer it.

Either way, I hope the list helps.
View Quote

That's the list for a well stocked pharmacy, not a SHTF of essential drugs.

Define what you want to be prepared for then plan from there.
Having a 6 month supply of any critical prescription medicines for the family is a good goal.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Oh, I recognize that.

But you can't deny it provides a good list from which to begin removing stuff as you go, or to remember stuff you may need.

I have no illusions of playing Walking Dead for months or years, believe me...
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 11:55:06 PM EDT
[#45]
So can anyone truly confirm that fish mox is truly the same exact pill as 250mg amoxicillin by the same manufacturer? Everything I'm finding online points to yes.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 9:09:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By tango1978:
So can anyone truly confirm that fish mox is truly the same exact pill as 250mg amoxicillin by the same manufacturer? Everything I'm finding online points to yes.
View Quote

Yes fish mod comes from the same manufacturers.    Look up the pill imprint and description on drugs.com or rxlist.   Same stuff
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:54:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Question, the 100mg powdered packets of doxycycline, same as capsule that everyone is always "out of stock" ?  And I take it, that you'd just drink with a glass of water?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:48:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jadc69] [#48]
Originally Posted By 4JOINTS:
Question, the 100mg powdered packets of doxycycline, same as capsule that everyone is always "out of stock" ?  And I take it, that you'd just drink with a glass of water?

Thanks
View Quote

me personally I would not use it. In pill or capsule form I can check the imprint and description of the pill to find the exact lab that it came from. The powdered fish meds NO.. Not knowing that it came from a FDA approved production facility means that it could have contaminants or "other" impurities.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:14:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By jadc69:

me personally I would not use it. In pill or capsule form I can check the imprint and description of the pill to find the exact lab that it came from. The powdered fish meds NO.. Not knowing that it came from a FDA approved production facility means that it could have contaminants or "other" impurities.
View All Quotes

Thanks

Doxy is a tough one.  Domestically produced Doxycycline is very expensive now, on the order of around a buck per pill if you can find it.  I suspect that somebody stateside has procured the exclusive rights to make it and are cashing in.

There is some Thai produced Doxy out there in the wild for around .32ea however I doubt you'll find it in the pill identifiers.  However, my fish have been very satisfied with blister pack Thai products. Although I have no experience specifically with the Thai produced Doxy, I would have no reservations purchasing it.

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 3:06:59 AM EDT
[#50]

Doxy is a tough one.  Domestically produced Doxycycline is very expensive now, on the order of around a buck per pill if you can find it.  I suspect that somebody stateside has procured the exclusive rights to make it and are cashing in.

There is some Thai produced Doxy out there in the wild for around .32ea however I doubt you'll find it in the pill identifiers.  However, my fish have been very satisfied with blister pack Thai products. Although I have no experience specifically with the Thai produced Doxy, I would have no reservations purchasing it.

View All Quotes

Thanks

Doxy has been generic a long long time. No one can purchase exclusive rights because the patent protection expired long ago. Any drug company is free to make it if they wish.

Secondly, according to my Epocrates app, (60) 100mg tablets of doxy retails for $34.99, around .50 cents a pill. Capsules are around $1.
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top