Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2010 4:55:38 AM EDT
I'm still farily new to this business, and I have in the last year or so bought some long term foods in #10 cans, mostly Mountain House and Provident Pantry stuff.  My Mountain House stuff has an expiration date printed right on the can, usually the bottom, ie:  Sep 2033 on my MH Lasagna can.

I can't find a date anywhere on any of my PP cans.  There are numbers embossed into the top cover, but I can't make heads or tails out of them.  A can of soup has "09040" on it.  A can of blackberries has "07146".  There isn't much rhyme or reason to the numbers.

I'm just trying to put an inventory together so I can start tracking and rotating as needed.  As advised, I have slowly started to incorporate the stored foods into my every day living, where ever I can find a good fit.  MH Lasagna is pretty damn good.  PP freeze dried berries are an awesome snack food also.

Any info is appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 5:39:30 AM EDT
[#1]
You may have to e-mail them and ask what the stamped code means.

I would think it's a 'date packed' code, usually  the year and the day. i.e. "09040" probably means it was packed on the 40th day of 2009.
Which would make "07146" the 146th day of 2007, etc.

This is just a guess on my part.
I still think your best bet would be to simply call or ask them what the code means and if there is a best by date stamped somewhere.

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 3:53:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You may have to e-mail them and ask what the stamped code means.

I would think it's a 'date packed' code, usually  the year and the day. i.e. "09040" probably means it was packed on the 40th day of 2009.
Which would make "07146" the 146th day of 2007, etc.

This is just a guess on my part.
I still think your best bet would be to simply call or ask them what the code means and if there is a best by date stamped somewhere.

That may make sense.  I've had the blackberries around for a while, as I snack on them, sort of like crunchy little fruit chips.  Probably got them on or around 2007.  The soup mix was definitely bought last year, probably early in the year.

I'll email PP to see if this is the case and get back.

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 4:53:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Looking around their website, they are kind of vague about shelf life.....  
on purpose, i think.

They use those same kind of date codes on MRE components.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top