Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2010 12:55:55 PM EDT
Anyone try to vaccum seal (Food Saver) peanut butter?  Would it work or would it go rancid?

ETA:  Thinking of my BOB
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#1]
mmm, why not just throw an unopened plastic jar in there?
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 1:42:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

what benefit would that give you? the jar is already vacuum sealed.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 1:44:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

what benefit would that give you? the jar is already vacuum sealed.

That's my point.  Young Mr. Pan has already done the work for you.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 4:27:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think it would seal up very well.  I have PB in my BOB, and in my kids.  I bought a ton of big packets from some website that specializes in single serve packs.  

Minimus.biz perhaps?
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:04:57 AM EDT
[#6]
We carry these 9oz. tubes. They are sealed up and perfect for a BOB or a three day type pack.

PB in a squeeze tube
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:51:11 AM EDT
[#7]
If I were to attempt this, I would probably chill the PB until I could form it into a square shape, then freeze it all the way.

I would then slice the frozen block with a serrated knife into slices of the weight I wanted.

I would then vacuum seal the slices.

The frozen slices would allow the vacuum sealer to get all the air out and when it thawed out it would be soft again.

But I would probably go with the pre-packaged pouches unless I had tested this on a small scale and found that it was sanitary and safe for long term storage.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 11:03:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If I were to attempt this, I would probably chill the PB until I could form it into a square shape, then freeze it all the way.

I would then slice the frozen block with a serrated knife into slices of the weight I wanted.

I would then vacuum seal the slices.

The frozen slices would allow the vacuum sealer to get all the air out and when it thawed out it would be soft again.

But I would probably go with the pre-packaged pouches unless I had tested this on a small scale and found that it was sanitary and safe for long term storage.

Just to add to that, I would either freeze them for a couple weeks or put them in some almost boiling water for 15 minutes just to make sure everything that could have got inside the bag was killed. I'm not sure I would take them to a rolling boil unless I had a little room in the bag for expansion. I don't want a peanut butter boiling water bomb waiting to go off on me.

Link Posted: 1/29/2010 11:14:30 AM EDT
[#9]
maybe

Link Posted: 1/29/2010 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#10]
When I was driving cross country tractor trailer, my emergency kit consisted of a five gallon jug of water, a huge jar of Peter Pan peanut butter and crackers in the unheated, unairconditioned side box.  

I had to change the water out periodically, and the crackers went stale from time to time, but the peanut butter was immortal.  You should be changing out the food in your bugout kit once or twice a year anyway.  Just bring it in and put a fresh jar out there.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:36:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Weight Watchers sells a powdered peanut butter product.  They also have a powdered chocolate peanut butter.

I can't find the link, but I have seen this product several times, I think they sell it as "PB".

Steve

ETA:  I found it, its name is PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter, from Bell Plantation.  The jar here has a "best by" date of July 2010.

http://www.bellplantation.com/
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 1:22:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Tag for future reference  
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 5:14:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We carry these 9oz. tubes. They are sealed up and perfect for a BOB or a three day type pack.

PB in a squeeze tube

Thats badass!

Whats the shelf life of that stuff stored in a decent temp??

Link Posted: 1/30/2010 7:06:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I had never seen "badass" peanut butter before so I had to look up that link. Dude, that's badass!  Genius

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 10:25:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

PB in a squeeze tube

Thats badass!

Whats the shelf life of that stuff stored in a decent temp??

I'm not sure what it is at a decent temp, but I opened mine after three years or so and it was fine. It was stored in temps from the high of about 90 to a low of maybe -15 or so. Didn't seem to matter to the PB at all. I have a new one in my BOB now, and it's just about a year old. I will swap it out in a couple years if I don't use it first.

PB plays a part of my trapping to. I have two rat traps I carry and I bait them with PB. They almost never fail to catch me two squirrels everytime I set them.

I clear an area about five feet across in the woods, and clear it down to dirt so it REALLY sticks out. Bait and set the trap in the middle of the clearing and those squirrels just can't take it and they have to come and have a look. Plus my traps are easy to find.

Link Posted: 1/30/2010 10:38:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Uncle Sam already had the research done for you.

MRE Spreads

Same shelf-life as MRE's

ETA: If for a BOB, I would opt for packets over a toothpaste tube or jar. Less bulky than a jar and probably less chance of leakage than the tube.
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 12:43:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Since my boss said no more lunch bags where we work and thinks that 6 to 10 hours between breaks is no big deal, I have been using single serve packs that fit in my pocket. I have Jif PD, chichi's salsa or cheese, with crackers. When  i need a pick me up, they work great, and keeping a supply around is no big deal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top