User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/13/2012 4:32:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Great thread!, subscribed so I can read the whole thing later

Blackops_1.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 10:15:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Just bumping this back to the top for all the new ppl .
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 12:57:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Hawk_308:
Just bumping this back to the top for all the new ppl .

very interesting and informative, thanks!
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 11:32:42 PM EDT
[#4]
OST
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 9:31:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Great thread!

After Sandy I heard NJ was thinking of requiring stations to have backup generators.  Not sure if that went anywhere

Think it was the Haiti earthquake, but I remember seeing news video of people hand cranking a dispenser by opening it up and inserting a crank in the gears.  I guess old school pump in the dispenser type?  Any of those around?

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 8:12:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Bump for updates
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the bump , no real updates have been very busy this year with personal and work stuff .

As for as the hand crank pumps go , the old mechanical style dispenser in pumps you might could make work . One you would need an above ground tank or use bicycle power maybe to get the rpms up to the point of having enough vacuum to pull the fuel from an underground tank . But first you would have to disable the valves in the pump so you could operate it with out power , the easiest way to do it would be to disassemble the valve and cut the center out of the diaphragm but if it is connected to an above ground tank you will need to cut the ball valve off . Also if there is a electric valve at the tank which is required for most above ground installs you will need to disable that also  .The old mechanical  dispensers will count the gallons with out power but you will neeed to reset the mechanical computer between sales which all you have to do is turn the shaft on the side of the computer by hand that goes to the box behind the nozzle cradle , its best to disconnect that shaft to prevent damaging the electric reset .  Why do you need to pump if it is an above ground tank you ask great question . All dispensers connected to an above ground tank or are below to top of an under ground tank (ie a marinia ) in the US are require to have an 52 valve under each dispenser pump . If it did not a leak on the dispenser could siphon all the fuel out of the tank . What is a 52 valve it is a valve that is vacuum activated that is mounted directly under the dispenser to prevent flow to the dispenser unless the pump is running.

www.veeder.com/gold/download.cfm?doc_id=1055 The 52 valve manual . page 9 has a nice little drawing that shows a above ground tank setup well .
If you have an above ground tank with a pumping unit below the level of the tank on your property you should look hard at getting a 52 valve if you dont have one .

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:04:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Neat thread.  I didn't even know I was interested in this until I started reding.  Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Thanks for the bump , no real updates have been very busy this year with personal and work stuff .

View Quote

Is there any way you could put every bit of info you've put into this thread into a single coherent document and throw it up on the PDF thread so the information isn't lost?
I started cutting and pasting various posts into a single document but you're a SME on the topic and could probably make a better document
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Bump for 2014.
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm having deja_vu...

Cumminsforum?
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 10:21:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By IchWarrior:

I'm having deja_vu...

Cumminsforum?
View Quote
Im a member there but as far as I can remember never posted any of this there .

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 12:32:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Do you have anything new on the blender pumps dispensing regular gasoline along with E15 -> E85?
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:36:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I may have posted about this before in this thread. I'm certain I've posted on Arfcom before.

The Classical Gas Pump Museum is located on Hwy. 65 on the road to Taos. If you blink you'll miss it. The owner has a couple of dozen pre-1970s style gas pumps; some date back to the 19teens! The ones that are coolest are the old glass-globe type, where you pump your purchase into a large glass globe on top of the pump and then gravity-feed it into your car. (He has about a half-dozen of those.) The museum owner says that there are a few still in use around the U.S.; some are novelties, for which you pay eight or ten dollars per gallon just to say you did it; others are located in remote places where electrical power is at a premium.

He also has a building, saved from an old gas station/general store, housing a bunch of gas-station-related memorabilia.

Link 1

Link 2

Images
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Sort of bummed that I'm just stumbling across this.   Incredible information Hawk.

I sort of fell into the world of gas stations by accident five years ago.  I'm a real estate appraiser and was hired by a firm that deals predominantly in gas stations/c-stores (more than 95% of our work involves petroleum, with most being gas stations).  I've learned a lot through my years appraising these sites, but it's neat to get the perspective of someone else in the industry.  I thank you for this view into what's been around me for so long.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TIG:
Great info!!

Fighting the $75 card limit now at the local Hess. Doesn't matter if I choose debit or credit.

How am I supposed to fill the 34 gallon tank in my diesel truck at around $3 a gallon. Can't even by more than 25 gallons
I'd like to get an even larger tank and add some extra filtration. As it is I'm having to double swipe now and deal with multiple receipts/accounting entries.

I've checked with the bank. My POS limit is fine on my business check card.
I spoke with the station, just a worker, and they say it's corporate.
They must have lowered it because I can see in my records that I purchased >$90 before mid Oct.

Should I call corporate and complain or would I be wasting my breath?

View Quote

Walk inside. Ask clerk for 150.00 of diesel on pump 7. Fill your truck with 109.87 in fuel. The hold on the 150 bucks goes away and the card gets a 109.87 charge against it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#17]
You don't see high-water alerts anymore because the ethanol makes water miscible into the gasoline?
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 10:59:44 PM EDT
[#18]

Fighting the $75 card limit now at the local Hess. Doesn't matter if I choose debit or credit.

How am I supposed to fill the 34 gallon tank in my diesel truck at around $3 a gallon. Can't even by more than 25 gallons
I'd like to get an even larger tank and add some extra filtration. As it is I'm having to double swipe now and deal with multiple receipts/accounting entries.

I've checked with the bank. My POS limit is fine on my business check card.
I spoke with the station, just a worker, and they say it's corporate.
They must have lowered it because I can see in my records that I purchased >$90 before mid Oct.

Should I call corporate and complain or would I be wasting my breath?
View Quote

Survival forum fail!!  You should never let the tank go below 1/2.  17 gal x $3 = No more problem.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 3:47:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Just to keep it in mind.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Bump.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:13:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Glad to see this thread still alive

Lots of good info in it
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 2:11:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankSymptoms] [#22]
n/m already posted re. "Classical Gas Station."
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:16:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Im still here also
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:02:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Bump.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:12:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Bump.  
Hmmm, looks like I thought about this thread the same time last year.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:47:47 PM EDT
[#26]
The walking thread .
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 11:29:42 PM EDT
[#27]
It never dies
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 11:40:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Great thread!
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 2:16:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Interesting read, thanks for posting.

Brings me to a question that I had a few months back.  This whole area is low lying land with poor drainage.  One of the local gas stations has a tank field that seems to have quite a bit of standing water (at least 6" at times) over the fill caps after a good storm.  How good are the seals on those caps?  I understand a bit of water will get in the main tank from condensation and the like regardless, but would I be asking for trouble if I bought gas there at that time or is it good to go?  I've always avoided it myself, but commonly see people filling up with water standing on the fill caps and have to wonder.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Chief1246:
Interesting read, thanks for posting.

Brings me to a question that I had a few months back.  This whole area is low lying land with poor drainage.  One of the local gas stations has a tank field that seems to have quite a bit of standing water (at least 6" at times) over the fill caps after a good storm.  How good are the seals on those caps?  I understand a bit of water will get in the main tank from condensation and the like regardless, but would I be asking for trouble if I bought gas there at that time or is it good to go?  I've always avoided it myself, but commonly see people filling up with water standing on the fill caps and have to wonder.
View Quote

In theory, the caps should have a watertight seal.  However, those seals can fail and/or be subject to human error.  
My local truck stop just had this happen a couple of weeks ago.  Standing melt-water from a huge snowstorm had covered the tops of the fill caps and had leaked into the underground tanks.  
They caught it when travelers were breaking down on the Interstate with water in their gas.  Last count I heard was over 30 vehicles!  

(FWIW, the truck stop footed the repair bills for everyone that had trouble.)
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:41:53 PM EDT
[#31]
you sound like a tech, didn't know there were any others on here

i do wayne, veederroot, incon, fuelmaster, opw, etc etc in arkansas for the southern company
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By oden131:
you sound like a tech, didn't know there were any others on here

i do wayne, veederroot, incon, fuelmaster, opw, etc etc in arkansas for the southern company
View Quote
Yeah Im whats left of a tech .  Gilbarco ,wayne , tohkiem , bennett,  Veeder root , OPW , Fuelmaster , EEco , passport , ruby , sapphire , commander , sams ,.,,,...................... and some other crap lol .
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:33:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ske714] [#34]
OP, all of your pictures are dead.  Photobucket has blocked them from 3rd party hosting.  I am...  disappointed.  

Imgur.com, FTW.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:33:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By ske714:
OP, all of your pictures are dead.  Photobucket has blocked them from 3rd party hosting.  I am...  disappointed.  

Imgur.com, TFW.
View Quote
@Hawk_308 Please, please do this.  I would love to save and print this out for later use.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 6:38:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By ske714:

Imgur.com, FTW.
View Quote
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-embedded-fix/

plugin for firefox to show photobucket pics in forums.   Chrome has one as well.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Requiem:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-embedded-fix/

plugin for firefox to show photobucket pics in forums.   Chrome has one as well.
View Quote
Awesome, thank you.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Ill work on fixing the pics , I moved and havnt spent any time on arfcom since the move . I'm going to remedy that soon though , setting up an imgr account now and Ill start transferring every thing over and fixing links .\
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 8:39:19 PM EDT
[#39]

Ill work on fixing the pics , I moved and havnt spent any time on arfcom since the move . I'm going to remedy that soon though , setting up an imgr account now and Ill start transferring every thing over and fixing links .\
View Quote
must be a lot since it's taken since 2017... Bump to keep this one out of the archives
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#40]
this thread was like Vu Ja De.....

thought it was new but been here before
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:16:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By mrrick:
this thread was like Vu Ja De.....

thought it was new but been here before
View Quote

Gas prices are back on the rise, always a good time to bump such a useful thread
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 7:54:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By mrrick:
this thread was like Vu Ja De.....

thought it was new but been here before
View Quote

Yeah! Deja vu all over again.

Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:17:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Lovelessk999:

Nope.  You can siphon right from each of those tanks pictured.

We had an issue with a group of Mexicans parking their van over the tanks, lifting the lid and siphoning gas with a hand crank into 55 gallon drums.  In busy gas stations you never even notice it.  

I hated those tank monitors btw.  They always showed warnings and there used to be no way to bypass the alarms even when using a dial up to your distributor.  Things may have changed since 05 though.

EDIT:  long hose to siphon btw.  You do not want what is on the top.  Mix gas and water in a glass to see why.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lovelessk999:
Originally Posted By staringback05:

good info....but what your saying is unless we have a pump our selves or eletricity....were fuuuuuuuuuuu?

Nope.  You can siphon right from each of those tanks pictured.

We had an issue with a group of Mexicans parking their van over the tanks, lifting the lid and siphoning gas with a hand crank into 55 gallon drums.  In busy gas stations you never even notice it.  

I hated those tank monitors btw.  They always showed warnings and there used to be no way to bypass the alarms even when using a dial up to your distributor.  Things may have changed since 05 though.

EDIT:  long hose to siphon btw.  You do not want what is on the top.  Mix gas and water in a glass to see why.

How do you "siphon" from a tank below ground to a vessel above ground? Do you mean 'pump"?
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#44]
They arrested a guy last year or the year before down TX LA area that had a chevy dually pulling a 30 foot inclosed trailer with a 10,000 gall tank they had a electric high vol pump . They would pull over the tank field and drop a hose in the tank from a door in the trailer floor . The Tank monitor and a alert cashier caught them at a site.
View Quote

10000 gallons of gasoline would be ~63,000 lbs gross. Bet they weren't towing 1.7 loaded 53'  van beds of cargo with a Chevy dually. I could be wrong. Tanker rigs only hold 6000 gal.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 2:07:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By kar98k:

Thanks for posting this.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJK8MeyPopQ

Do many stations have this fire suppression system?  I've never noticed any buttons that say "in case of fire" on them.   Or are they inside the cashier station?

One thing I do when I fill up is try to locate the emergency pump shutoffs,  just in case.   On occasion I don't see them, but most are easily found and well labeled.

View Quote

The emergency shut-off is usually a red industrial slap switch on the pillar that holds the canopy. Should be one at every set of pumps labeled 'EMERGENCY SHUT-OFF'.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By hkmp5s:

I fuel my truck running, hell I even smoke some times. Some people cave no concept of how fire works.
View Quote

It would be hard to hit the LEL in even a 1mph breeze from stray fumes.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:32:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By nickmemphis:

How do you "siphon" from a tank below ground to a vessel above ground? Do you mean 'pump"?
View Quote

One definition of the verb siphon:  to remove a liquid from one place and put it in another using a pipe or tube

Or are you saying that you can't siphon off a liquid from a basin using a pump?
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 5:17:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 7:56:21 PM EDT
[#49]
I used to run an old school gas station.  Our dispensers had suction pumps built into the base of the dispenser.  There was a 220 volt motor driving the pump module via a fractional HP belt.  I spent way more time under that dispenser than I wanted to.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:30:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Not sure this was covered earlier.  Been awhile since I read through the thread.  

Any idea how old gasoline typically is when it reaches the gas station?
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top