Page:  / 137
Author
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/21/2013 10:08:57 AM
Originally Posted By aperdue:
check chicagoscrews.com . They have a really good variety of fastners. They may not have that exact set, but will have something close. Rubber tubing works great as rubber spacers

This what I use all the time.
Erebus1
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/21/2013 10:07:24 PM
http://epoperator.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/breifcasebuddy.jpg

A insert I made to keep everything nice and situated in my tool/work bag

Im really digging everybodys work.... I love kydex.
stonedv8
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/21/2013 11:57:35 PM
Originally Posted By 4DAIVIPAI2K5:
Originally Posted By stonedv8:
Awesome thread. I am on page 47 so far reading though it and my eyes are bleeding.

Here is my modest contribution so far. First attempt, I am very happy for a 1st go, but I know some places I will be making changes for future builds.

From This:

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l122/stonedv8/2013-01-19_22-35-36_279.jpg

To This:

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l122/stonedv8/2013-01-21_00-41-51_668.jpg
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l122/stonedv8/2013-01-21_00-42-03_431.jpg

Again a 1st attempt. Will be smoothing things out a bit. Realized I put my rivets out farther than needed which made the sheath wider than it should have.

Also need to find a less expensive source for this hardware. Knifekits is $2 for a set of 2..Anyone else have a good source, I dont mind buying in bulk.

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/images/smh_assy_1b_550.jpg

Did you cut and rivet it then mold it? Also any reason you put the back side piece smooth side out and ruff side in? Rivet placement doesn't look bad, could bring them closer by using smaller rivets.

Curious of a source for those bolts also.

yes, I cut an outline, riveted it and then molded it. That was the first video I watched on YouTube on how to do a kydex sheath. Video was actually posted in this thread a few pages back and that's where I found it.

The reason the backside is the slick side is because I was so excited about this new experience when I cut and drilled my first hole I had both pieces on top of each other and wasnt thinking about inverting the bottom, so the rough sides would be facing out. Basically I stacked them wrong, and by that time the hold had been drilled. Since my first hole was offset in proportion to the angle of the blade I couldnt flip the back side over and make it work. Again, this was a first attempt, didnt see a point in wasting kydex to redo it so I went with it. Like I said earlier, I learned some things .. Besides the Cold Steel Bushman that it is home for now is a worker, so scratches on the finish of the blade wont concern me any.

The rivets are the 8-8 every recommends from Knifekits. And they fit the Chicago screws just fine. I am happy with the placement, just want to move them in. They are placed every 1 1/2" out to accommodate a tek-lok or whatever.
Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.
4DAIVIPAI2K5
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/22/2013 8:21:04 AM
Awesome thread. I am on page 47 so far reading though it and my eyes are bleeding.

Here is my modest contribution so far. First attempt, I am very happy for a 1st go, but I know some places I will be making changes for future builds.

From This:

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l122/stonedv8/2013-01-19_22-35-36_279.jpg

To This:

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l122/stonedv8/2013-01-21_00-41-51_668.jpg
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l122/stonedv8/2013-01-21_00-42-03_431.jpg

Again a 1st attempt. Will be smoothing things out a bit. Realized I put my rivets out farther than needed which made the sheath wider than it should have.

Also need to find a less expensive source for this hardware. Knifekits is $2 for a set of 2..Anyone else have a good source, I dont mind buying in bulk.

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/images/smh_assy_1b_550.jpg

Did you cut and rivet it then mold it? Also any reason you put the back side piece smooth side out and ruff side in? Rivet placement doesn't look bad, could bring them closer by using smaller rivets.

Curious of a source for those bolts also.

yes, I cut an outline, riveted it and then molded it. That was the first video I watched on YouTube on how to do a kydex sheath. Video was actually posted in this thread a few pages back and that's where I found it.

The reason the backside is the slick side is because I was so excited about this new experience when I cut and drilled my first hole I had both pieces on top of each other and wasnt thinking about inverting the bottom, so the rough sides would be facing out. Basically I stacked them wrong, and by that time the hold had been drilled. Since my first hole was offset in proportion to the angle of the blade I couldnt flip the back side over and make it work. Again, this was a first attempt, didnt see a point in wasting kydex to redo it so I went with it. Like I said earlier, I learned some things .. Besides the Cold Steel Bushman that it is home for now is a worker, so scratches on the finish of the blade wont concern me any.

The rivets are the 8-8 every recommends from Knifekits. And they fit the Chicago screws just fine. I am happy with the placement, just want to move them in. They are placed every 1 1/2" out to accommodate a tek-lok or whatever.

I do with each one that I make too.
We have all had that aww shit moment in making them where you drill the wrong spot or cut the wrong side. lol
What foam did you use?

stonedv8
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/22/2013 9:09:42 PM

I do with each one that I make too.
We have all had that aww shit moment in making them where you drill the wrong spot or cut the wrong side. lol
What foam did you use?

Gardening/Kneeling foam from Lowes...Worked pretty good, but I can see it wont last long. Went back and ordered the molding foam from Knifekits...And some Pink kydex, wife saw the sheath and requested a sheath for her pepper spray on her purse.
Deanventure
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/23/2013 11:51:19 PM
[Last Edit: 1/23/2013 11:54:36 PM by Deanventure]

I have figured out edge finishing!!!!
I love this knife. A great deal for less than $25.

Goodyear fuel line makes great spacer material. It doesn't compress as easily as other rubber tubing.

stonedv8
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/23/2013 11:56:24 PM

I have figured out edge finishing!!!!
I love this knife. A great deal for less than $25.

Goodyear fuel line makes great spacer material. It doesn't compress as easily as other rubber tubing.

Damn fine job on the edge finishing.

Love the mora knives as well...Think my next project will be a sheath for one of those, now that I know how to do better.
aperdue
Romanian AK MOD
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2013 8:39:11 AM

nice job! could you share the details of where you are getting your hardware (screws) from and what size you are using?
TENNESSEE SQUIRE
"Unconstitutional laws aren't laws" - Joshua Boston
SASS# 91995
crazybull
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2013 10:19:46 AM
Hi guys, I have a question I have a cousin that is wanting to make his own kydex stuff. He can't afford the foam rightnow after dumping money into the other tools and I can't remember the name of the blue foam that you can pick up at lowes or homedepot. Does anyone know what type of foam it is that you can substitute kydex foam for?
lostman518
that guy who did that thing that one time
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2013 10:55:56 AM
I've been using the blue foam camping pads from walmart with good results. I have a few photos a couple pages back.
"When basic morality and legal principle give you a green light to shoot the fucker, it's probably a good idea to shoot the fucker." - John_Wayne777
4DAIVIPAI2K5
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2013 12:42:51 PM
Originally Posted By crazybull:
Hi guys, I have a question I have a cousin that is wanting to make his own kydex stuff. He can't afford the foam rightnow after dumping money into the other tools and I can't remember the name of the blue foam that you can pick up at lowes or homedepot. Does anyone know what type of foam it is that you can substitute kydex foam for?

People had said they used the gardening mats from Lowes
AlanP
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2013 1:01:29 PM
Originally Posted By lostman518:
I've been using the blue foam camping pads from walmart with good results. I have a few photos a couple pages back.

Same here. I stack it I think two high on each side, and then clamp it down.
Deanventure
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2013 1:42:39 PM

Originally Posted By AlanP:
Originally Posted By lostman518:

Same here. I stack it I think two high on each side, and then clamp it down.

I use yoga mat foam from wally world. I use a double layer in my press.
It's neoprene foam instead of the closed cell stuff most camping pads are made of.
It comes in tactical black...

Impyman18
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2013 2:06:52 PM
I made the fiancée her 1st holster for her XDm 3.8 9mm + TLR-2 that I got her last year.

Her modeling it with her new camo I got her as well.
Echo2
Better put a leash on that puppy....
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2013 2:58:24 PM
Originally Posted By crazybull:

People had said they used the gardening mats from Lowes

I've been using these....
Cause and effect......Cause is over....Brace for effect....I prep.....what you do to brace yourself.....is at your discretion. But for those who don't prep.....I prep for you....in a different way......Me
4DAIVIPAI2K5
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/25/2013 9:10:06 AM
I need to get some more foam. I might get all three and see what works the best. KK, garden mat and yoga pad.
Echo2
Better put a leash on that puppy....
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/25/2013 10:59:28 AM
You can get the "anti fatigue" foot mats, then cut and stack them.
Cause and effect......Cause is over....Brace for effect....I prep.....what you do to brace yourself.....is at your discretion. But for those who don't prep.....I prep for you....in a different way......Me
TheBigAR2003
Dragon Soldiers Lead The Way
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/25/2013 2:56:21 PM
which screws do i need to get from knifekits.com that fit the iwb loops?
i want to use .080 kydex with the 1/4 rivets
so which screws would fit the loops and the kydex?

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." George Washington to the Continental Congress,1776
“Between your faith and my Glock 9mm, I take my Glock.” –Jericho Cane (played by Arnold Schwarzenegger)
Deanventure
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/25/2013 3:57:54 PM
[Last Edit: 1/28/2013 3:48:06 PM by Deanventure]

Originally Posted By aperdue:

nice job! could you share the details of where you are getting your hardware (screws) from and what size you are using?
I'm not sure where I acquired those oval head screws. I'd like to find some more, locally if I could.
They are 8-32 screws with Chicago style posts on the back. I have bought the Chicago screw from Knifekits.com and from USAknifemaker.com.
If you plan on doing much kydex work, do yourself a favor and buy the eyelet setting dies from USAknifemaker.com and an arbor press from harbor freight.
They work perfectly.

TheBigAR2003
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/28/2013 12:54:36 PM
[Last Edit: 1/28/2013 1:04:19 PM by TheBigAR2003]
this is what i just ordered from knifekits.com
am i missing anything? i have drill bits and clamps.

2 x KYDEX™ Sheet - Coyote Brown - (.080)
2 x Mounting Assembly - Belt Loops - CKK Design - (with silencer) - (Black)
2 x KYDEX™ Sheet - Black - (.080)
1 x KYDEX™ Sheet - Black - (.125)
1 x Hand Setter Kit - (#8) - (for 1/4 inch sheath rivets)
2 x IWB Loops - *Rubber* - Tactical Black - (inside the waist band)
1 x Eyelets - #8-8 (1/4) - Black Finish - (for .080 KYDEX™/HOLSTEX™) - 100 Pack
2 x Sheath/Holster Making Foam - Thermoform Molding - (Standard Form) - (8x12x1)
2 x KYDEX™ Sheet - Olive Drab - (.080)
2 x KYDEX™ Sheet - Gunmetal Gray - (.080)
1 x Chicago Screws - Black Oxide #8 - (.1875 x .250) - 10 pack
"If you can't send money, send tobacco." George Washington to the Continental Congress,1776
“Between your faith and my Glock 9mm, I take my Glock.” –Jericho Cane (played by Arnold Schwarzenegger)
4DAIVIPAI2K5
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/28/2013 3:34:33 PM
What are you using for your heat? Got plenty of razor blades and sad paper? FYI use that hand setter in a vice and it will make the rivets much nicer.
TheBigAR2003
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/28/2013 7:13:24 PM
[Last Edit: 1/28/2013 7:16:28 PM by TheBigAR2003]
I have a toaster oven and a hair dryer with a directional head like a heat gun plenty of razors and samd paper and a vice
I will be hitting hardware store for clamps and some plywood to use as a press
4DAIVIPAI2K5
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/29/2013 5:43:05 AM
Never used a hair dryer, will that make enough heat?
usmc0331tamu00
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/29/2013 8:10:46 AM
[Last Edit: 1/29/2013 8:11:49 AM by usmc0331tamu00]
Never used a hair dryer, will that make enough heat?

Highly unlikely.
"Rome's glory by way of the Greeks came,
America's by cutting the English cord,
But Texas was sired by Fighters,
And a nation was born of the Sword"

Anonymous 1836
RedRushin
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/29/2013 8:21:55 AM
Hair dryer definitly works. Prolonged, close-up heat on a small area.
Page:  / 137