Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Do it yourself Kydex.... (Page 45 of 83)
Page / 83
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 3:42:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I would like to do a neck holster, can you tell me how you did yours?
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 9:58:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the cooling time responses.

Originally Posted By 4DAIVIPAI2K5:
I'm a big fan of compressed air for cooling.

How do you do that? Canned air? Air compressor? How do you get the air into the mold?

I managed to produce this tonight:

Next time, I need to heat the Kydex hotter as I didn't get really good retention out of the press. I have it decent now, but it could be better. My riveting needs work, both on layout and in pressing the rivets. I may have had the die backwards because the black finish rubbed off on the outside rivets. I'll probably go back and trim off some of the outer edges. The scrap wood I used for my belt loop jig was painted and that didn't work out so well. They also came out crooked. Overall, I'm reasonably pleased with my first try!
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 7:42:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By nyc71:
I would like to do a neck holster, can you tell me how you did yours?

It's much like making any other pancake holster. Prior to molding I cut spacer from wood and tape it to the dust cover and trigger guard. The void will be drilled and rubber spacer is made from windshield washer tubing along with a Chicago screw set is used to allow for retention adjustment.

Mold the top and bottom then cut to shape. Be sure to make the pocket hook as wide as the grip. It will prevent it from slipping over on it's side while pocket carrying. Add eyelets along slide and on the pocket hook. Sand and finish edges. Loop some 550 cord through eyelets and you're ready to rock.
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 11:02:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4DAIVIPAI2K5] [#4]
Originally Posted By chalco:
Thanks for the cooling time responses.

I'm a big fan of compressed air for cooling.

How do you do that? Canned air? Air compressor? How do you get the air into the mold?

I managed to produce this tonight:
http://www.rockbreak.com/pics/G22%20Front.jpg

http://www.rockbreak.com/pics/G22%20Back.jpg

Next time, I need to heat the Kydex hotter as I didn't get really good retention out of the press. I have it decent now, but it could be better. My riveting needs work, both on layout and in pressing the rivets. I may have had the die backwards because the black finish rubbed off on the outside rivets. I'll probably go back and trim off some of the outer edges. The scrap wood I used for my belt loop jig was painted and that didn't work out so well. They also came out crooked. Overall, I'm reasonably pleased with my first try!

Trim that bad boy down and you will be ready to rock! I am not fan of putting retention on the ejection port but I know other are. If you set it on the trigger guard there is no reason to mold the ejection port.

As for the air I just get cans of duster for electronics. I let the holster sit for a few mins to cool some then hit the defined parts with the can upside down. It really helps when setting your retention or heating a small area then needing it to cool. Also when doing the loops. I put them in the mold then instantly hit them with air, loops are molded in 10 seconds.  Just wear gloves because your fingers will get frozen lol.
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 3:05:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nyc71] [#5]
I'm refining my skills with the pancake styles, I'm just not sure how to approach the "taco" style for the neck holster.
Than you Impyman18.
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 5:31:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Kingshooter:
I've taken so much crap over the "impracticality" of it, but here's its' purpose:

I hike in southern AZ (like border/illegal alien/drug traffic) kind of areas.  I already have a backpack and a camera - a sling just doesn't work, my 1911 doesn't give me the same confidence as this does given the situations that could pop up.  It's remarkably comfortable given the weight with 20/30 round magazines, and the only time it is noticeable is if I am scrambling in tight spots on rocks (and that's rarely.)

I went with .080, but it's still a little thin and flexes more than I care unless the strap is hooked up - then it's nice and tight and rattle free.  Gen 2/3 = I'm getting a sheet of .093 and .125 and trying both.

This is how I prepped the gun - seemed to be about right, as retention is there but you don't fight it to get it out of the holster:

Screw reliefs with carpenter pencil and washers:
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii276/kingshootr/7627c50d-db31-4ffd-a805-81d3bb2df244_zpsf3955228.jpg
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii276/kingshootr/b4f6d11e-11b4-4ba9-b0b5-020a391827ad_zps0bc6ee6f.jpg

Side A:
Dowels and sticks and lots of tape...
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii276/kingshootr/961af269-2d96-4054-8f16-7cbc39126331_zpsec55463f.jpg

Side B:
More build up for channels to clear the protrusions...
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii276/kingshootr/d7b34540-e078-4a57-8e23-3c30a57453ec_zpsdee86b80.jpg

This might be my first negative comment in a non GD area, but...

Why not just use a sling?

Link Posted: 4/12/2013 8:15:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bobapunk] [#7]
Very nice!  Now I know what I am getting my Bro-in-law for Chistmas!  Which Mora is that? Is it this one?

Also, I am a fan of matte edges and yours look great.  You could run those on a buffing wheel if you wanted them glossy.

Link Posted: 4/12/2013 8:29:29 AM EDT
[#8]
You could have ordered Index Fastener's $200 Kydex starter kit...

The kit includes:

1 2x4ft Sheet Black .080

1 2x4ft Sheet Coyote .080

2 1x2ft Sheet Black .125 (for belt loops)

1 1x2ft Sheet Neoprene Foam

200 Black 8-8 Eyelets/Rivets

100 Screw/post sets

12 IWB Soft Loops w/hardware

They might work with you on splitting on the colors.  I know they swapped 8-10 rivets for me instead of the 8-8.

Originally Posted By TheBigAR2003:

this is what i just ordered from knifekits.com

am i missing anything?  i have drill bits and clamps.

2 x KYDEX™ Sheet - Coyote Brown - (.080)

2 x Mounting Assembly - Belt Loops - CKK Design - (with silencer) - (Black)

2 x KYDEX™ Sheet - Black - (.080)

1 x KYDEX™ Sheet - Black - (.125)

1 x Hand Setter Kit - (#8) - (for 1/4 inch sheath rivets)

2 x IWB Loops - *Rubber* - Tactical Black - (inside the waist band)

1 x Eyelets - #8-8 (1/4) - Black Finish - (for .080 KYDEX™/HOLSTEX™) - 100 Pack

2 x Sheath/Holster Making Foam - Thermoform Molding - (Standard Form) - (8x12x1)

2 x KYDEX™ Sheet - Olive Drab - (.080)

2 x KYDEX™ Sheet - Gunmetal Gray - (.080)

1 x Chicago Screws - Black Oxide #8 - (.1875 x .250) - 10 pack

Link Posted: 4/12/2013 8:37:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Check out http://indexfasteners.com/Resources/pdf/Index_.pdf

They have Kydex, eylets, foam, screws/binding posts, blue guns, etc.  If you need it for holster making, they probably have it.  Call and talk to Danny, tell him Nick from Central Illinois Custom Kydex sent you.  He will take take real good care of you!

Originally Posted By rtech:

Originally Posted By Echo2:

That's what I would like to accomplish.....body side less defined.....smother against the body.

I would also assume that using .080 on the away side and .093 on the body side would accomplish the same.

I use .060 primarily now, but also use .080 and .093. The thicker stuff needs to be heated more to get definition, but you'll never get as much definition as with .060. I used .093 back in the day but now use .060 as it tends to be "stonger' with all the ridges and lines in it, much like corrugated cardboard. The foam and pressure is going to be your key to getting what you want.  

The higher you heat past 300 degrees or so, the more likelihood of burning or shrinking up the kydex. It's a real fine line. With the thicker stuff, I don't go past 350. With .060, I keep it around 300.

The best foam I've seen is the stuff from Knifekits, but I'm looking for a cheaper vendor. I'm also looking for a cheaper source for rivets. I'm going to order 5000 as soon as I can find a source. Tired of paying .13 cents a rivet.

I currently have 2 presses and ovens running and knock out about 30 holsters a week, depending on special features. My mentor was David Brown, from Buy Brown holsters whom I met in the late 1990's. He's still the master.

Link Posted: 4/12/2013 9:27:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Wipeout] [#10]
I'm also looking for a cheaper source for rivets. I'm going to order 5000 as soon as I can find a source. Tired of paying .13 cents a rivet.

Give Megaan Lippold a call at index fasteners (909-923-4073, [email protected]). You can try for Danny, but he is usually running around. Megaan is more available. I just ordered @ $ .07 ea. Tell them Chris from Latitude 44 Design sent you, and then let them know Danny needs an assistant.

eta: see poster above, didn't realize it was quoted funny

Link Posted: 4/12/2013 12:06:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Impyman18:
Originally Posted By bg10:
Anybody done anything new and exciting?

Not super exciting but a few 1sts for me.

Made this one for a fellow ARFcomer a few weeks back. CZ Duty with TLR-1 in MultiCam with a GCode Adapter - Pics were prior to final edge finish.

He wanted it with the adapter as high in the holster as I could get it. War belt carry with longer arms.  

http://i.imgur.com/t20QREWl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NiDFtHjl.jpg

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 1:49:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4DAIVIPAI2K5] [#12]
Best deal on Blue guns? Can't find any used. :(

Anyone used the blackhawk orange ones?
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 4:53:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Botach or Outdoorpros.com are the two best I've seen for blue guns. I haven't used the red yet.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 5:11:45 AM EDT
[#14]

I'm using the Blackhawk sig 226 demo and it's worked good so far.  Be careful using the thinner kydex.  Blackhawk has their name molded into the side of the slide.  I sanded the logo off to prevent any add'l printing.  Think I'm about to order the 1911 demo with tactical rail to add another mold to the collection.  Fella on ebay has them listed for $21.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 7:51:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By cbrmike:

I'm using the Blackhawk sig 226 demo and it's worked good so far.  Be careful using the thinner kydex.  Blackhawk has their name molded into the side of the slide.  I sanded the logo off to prevent any add'l printing.  Think I'm about to order the 1911 demo with tactical rail to add another mold to the collection.  Fella on ebay has them listed for $21.

Good to hear!
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 9:55:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Tuckable IWB (Appendix) for a Makrov:

Paddle Mount OWB for a Sig SP 2022:

The paddle is attached with the standard Blade-Tech pattern, so it can easily be interchanged with any other Blade-Tech mounting system (Tec-Lok, SR Loop, etc).
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 11:51:21 AM EDT
[#17]
WOW.  ummm  89 pages.  

i wanna make an iwb for my full size springfield XDM

is this kit ok for that??

thanks
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By bobapunk:

The paddle is attached with the standard Blade-Tech pattern, so it can easily be interchanged with any other Blade-Tech mounting system (Tec-Lok, SR Loop, etc).

Whose AL guns are you using? Any issue with them being slightly undersized like some of the blue guns?
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 8:18:20 AM EDT
[#19]
I've been making holsters for everyone else lately. I finally got around to making one for myself yesterday. I Made for my SA LW Champion Operator with a SF X300 with Flat Dark Earth Kydex. Love the color  

Link Posted: 4/15/2013 10:01:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Not sure if I posted this yet it not but this is one I made for my M&P.

Link Posted: 4/15/2013 11:16:14 AM EDT
[#21]
For those of you forming around weapon lights, do you notice any play or wobble around the trigger guard or is the retention tight enough around the light and slide to prevent that?
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By KeithC:
For those of you forming around weapon lights, do you notice any play or wobble around the trigger guard or is the retention tight enough around the light and slide to prevent that?

I've had no issues with retention. You learn with each light where to grab for retention and where to prevent it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By KeithC:

Depends on the thickness of the kydex and how close the rivets are to the pistol. Mine has a very small amount of play but it's nothing to be worried about.

Link Posted: 4/15/2013 1:11:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks, gents. I've been happy with the IWBs I've made for myself but was thinking I might want to try something for when I've got a light (TLR-3) mounted.  I'm paranoid enough about "creaking", I wouldn't want to add "clacking" to the mix.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 8:49:27 PM EDT
[#25]
The Aluminum casting is from Duncan's Outdoor Shop.

I've only used the one for the Sig SP2022.  The guy I made it for did not complain about the fit...

Originally Posted By Wipeout:

Whose AL guns are you using? Any issue with them being slightly undersized like some of the blue guns?

Link Posted: 4/16/2013 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#26]
How are you guys doing molle attachments?
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 10:02:42 PM EDT
[#27]
You can buy MOLLE locks, or make G clips

Originally Posted By 223Sauce:

Link Posted: 4/17/2013 9:07:46 PM EDT
[#28]

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 9:47:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Jon of Phylster showing the G-Loop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWQdOHQYlOM&feature=share&list=UUqqnWj4N7FUAV8y4PXQDj_Q

Thanks.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 3:09:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Just picked up on this thread at about page 45. Basically got my Bravo Concealment yesterday and had to do some tweaking with a heat gun.

I figured, hell I can probably make these, and started looking into it and found this thread.

Great work guys, y’all make this stuff look pro.

Only question is what are you guys using at the front of the gun for light clearance?
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 3:29:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By 23pistol23:
Just picked up on this thread at about page 45. Basically got my Bravo Concealment yesterday and had to do some tweaking with a heat gun.

I figured, hell I can probably make these, and started looking into it and found this thread.

Only question is what are you guys using at the front of the gun for light clearance?

Swinkster gives a good tut on it via page 40 on it.

Clost pole from HD or Lowes is what I use.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#32]

Swinkster gives a good tut on it via page 40 on it.

Clost pole from HD or Lowes is what I use.

Awesome. Thanks. I'll have to get my materials together and start working on some stuff.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:49:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Jon of Phylster showing the G-Loop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWQdOHQYlOM&feature=share&list=UUqqnWj4N7FUAV8y4PXQDj_Q

Thanks.

Awesome.  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:36:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Sheath for an SOG knife with a molle lock

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:39:36 AM EDT
[#35]
I've done a few full size gun pancake style holster from a 12X24 sheet but can't seen to get it done with a 12X12. Has any one here being able to accomplished that? If so can you please illustrate how?
Thank you
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 8:21:32 AM EDT
[#36]

This might give you an idea or two:

Link Posted: 4/26/2013 1:16:32 AM EDT
[#37]

This might give you an idea or two:

go on
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#38]
If anyone is interested in that Heaterizer XL-3000 Mini Heat Gun from Sparkfun.com, it is currently back in stock.

Link Posted: 4/30/2013 10:07:35 PM EDT
[#39]
90 pages read. Thanks...I think. Here's my first holster for my M&P with weapon light. Need to finish the edges a little better, but works great as a tuckable IWB.

Link Posted: 5/2/2013 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#40]
A trio of M&P holsters. My first "batch process". Goes much quicker than the one and done method. Just needs final retention adjustments and curve added.

Link Posted: 5/2/2013 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#41]
A trio of M&P holsters. My first "batch process". Goes much quicker than the one and done method. Just needs final retention adjustments and curve added.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCN0886_-_Copy.JPG

Nice what foam are you using?
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 4:50:20 PM EDT
[#42]

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCN0886_-_Copy.JPG

Nice what foam are you using?

That was the knife kits foam. I need to switch it out and I have some of the Index Fasteners foam waiting. It seems stiffer so I'm looking forward to using it and seeing what comes out.

On a side note, I've been playing with a mag pouch for AK mags and the foam just gets chewed up on the metal mags. Anyone have any hints on that one? Taping the part that isn't in the kydex doesn't seem to help much.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 10:44:14 PM EDT
[#43]
This may be a dumb question but how the heck do you order from Index Fasteners, phone in only?   Their site is horrible and I can't seem to find stuff I know they carry like belt loops.
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 5:49:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Sierra5:
This may be a dumb question but how the heck do you order from Index Fasteners, phone in only?   Their site is horrible and I can't seem to find stuff I know they carry like belt loops.

You are correct. You have to call or e-mail in your oder. They will e-mail an invoice and you have to approve.

They need an e-commerce site badly.
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 5:56:48 AM EDT
[#45]

You are correct. You have to call or e-mail in your oder. They will e-mail an invoice and you have to approve.

I appreciate the reply.  

That seems like such a completely outdated and money losing business model in today's times.
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 8:47:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Wipeout] [#46]
If you're ordering from index fasteners, they're now stocking two styles of kydex, P1 and PC textures based on issues with P1 kydex quality. They will send you a discounted sample of kydex PC to mess with to see if you like the finish and workability. The PC seems to scratch much easier than the P1. I would strongly recommend sticking with the P1
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 9:00:39 AM EDT
[#47]

I appreciate the reply.  

That seems like such a completely outdated and money losing business model in today's times.

NP. I agree... I've told them I think their business would increase drastically if they were to open an on-line store. It's a PITA not knowing all their items stocked or how much each cost. When you order let them know you'd love to see an e-commerce site. Like Wipeout mentioned, be sure to read about the finish issues on Kydex. A "sparkle" effect has been noticed on new shipments from Kydex. I'm not sure when it all stared but I know it wasn't an issue a few months back. If you check out IFI's Facebook page you can get more info on it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#48]

I appreciate the reply.  

NP. I agree... I've told them I think their business would increase drastically if they were to open an on-line store. It's a PITA not knowing all their items stocked or how much each cost. When you order let them know you'd love to see an e-commerce site. Like Wipeout mentioned, be sure to read about the finish issues on Kydex. A "sparkle" effect has been noticed on new shipments from Kydex. I'm not sure when it all stared but I know it wasn't an issue a few months back. If you check out IFI's Facebook page you can get more info on it.

They really do need an e-commerce site, I agree.  They are a lot of work to build and keep updated so I understand the delay.  Also check them out of Facebook, that is the best place I have found to figure out what they have and what is in stock.

Although I have noticed the stripper glitter (as I named it) in the kydex being more prevalent recently I have seen the same off and on for a couple of years.  I always attributed it to shipping/handling but it is interesting that Kydex is claiming it is the rollers.  Either way it really sucks, I always try to use them for back pieces but even that is a PITA.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#49]
I got some from KK like that in my last order
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 10:41:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Couple of my recent projects

Page / 83
Do it yourself Kydex.... (Page 45 of 83)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top