Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Do it yourself Kydex.... (Page 4 of 83)
Page / 83
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 5:36:45 PM EDT
[#1]
ordered some material and parts/pieces from knifekits.com.  Hopefully it'll be in before next weekend and I can start making some stuff!
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 6:14:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Darkninja:
Awesome! I want some right now! Make some knife sheaths since I don't own hand guns.

Link Posted: 1/27/2010 8:06:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Delbaeth:
The #6 rivets are 3/16 outside diameter (i.e. require a 3/16 hole) and inner diameter is sized for #6 screws.
#8 is 1/4 OD and #8 screws ID.

They come in different lengths depending on thickness of materiel you want to fasten.

What drove my question is that my Raven uses #8s but is 0.060 thick Kydex. BUT they don't make #8 rivets for 0.060 material (doubled up being 0.120 obviously). The shortest they sell for #8 is the -8 which is recommended for 0.080 (thus 0.160 doubled) material. Rivets are not an all or nothing affair so hoping someone pops up RE: rolling the -8s down 0.040 more.

Anyways, we'll see. I ordered the #8-8s and will give it a whirl with the 0.060 material. Also ordered 0.080 and one sheet of 0.125 to make the belt loops from.
Ordered last night, shipped today. 2-3 day USPS Priority for only $1 more. Weekend project! As a first project I'm going to see if I can replicate my Raven Concealment.

Also plan on vacuum bagging with a foam support and smoothing the edges after cutting with a pencil torch. All suggestions from here so if it turns out like crap, I'll blame you guys!!

Any luck with this project?

I'm posed with the same question- how to use #8 rivets for .060" Kydex.  My thought was to order the #8-8s, and file off a little bit, then punch them. Anyone have any luck trying this, or know offhand why it couldn't work?

This will be my first foray into kydex, so I'm at the "planning my order" stage.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I prefer to use #6 rivets whenever possible, simply because I think the smaller rivets look better. I have a bag of #8's sitting on the bench, but I've never opened them. When I get time to start working with kydex again, I'll probably get some .080 or .093 to play with. I suppose I'll have to use #8's then.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 1:43:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Great thread!
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 3:31:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Great. Now I have to spend money on kydex.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 10:01:09 AM EDT
[#7]
tag for info
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 11:34:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chas8008] [#8]
Originally Posted By Cargo:
tag for info

hey dude thats my Avatar.

You can keep it if you do not say anything dumb.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone make a holster for a pistol with a light attached? Any special considerations?
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 5:25:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By macman37:
Anyone make a holster for a pistol with a light attached? Any special considerations?

I'm going with it depends.  I've done a 1911 with a Streamlight TLR-1 attached and it was a PITA.  There were so many edges that my first attempt failed.  It simply would not come out of the holster.  My second attempt went better but I had to wrap plastic wrap around the gun, fill in the spaces with putty, and then wrap tin foil around that.

In the end it did work and worked well but it was a PITA.  There might be a better way but I haven't done any more design work on it since.

Link Posted: 1/29/2010 11:46:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Ahhhh. gotcha. Thanks for the pics and info!
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 12:25:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I got the free smalples today, there must be 50-60 2"x3" tiles in .028 . And a donzon 4" x 6" in .050
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#13]
alright so i got my stuff from knifekits.com....which side of this foam do i use against the kydex?? or does it matter?
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 4:25:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Just a question for anyone. At what temp would Kydex start becoming a drippy mess? I ask because I was thinking of making a holster for a friend in the military and I really don't want something that if he is caught in a fire would drip and stick on him make the burns worse? Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By tayous1:
Just a question for anyone. At what temp would Kydex start becoming a drippy mess? I ask because I was thinking of making a holster for a friend in the military and I really don't want something that if he is caught in a fire would drip and stick on him make the burns worse? Thanks!

what?

does he get set on fire a lot?

Link Posted: 2/1/2010 5:50:29 PM EDT
[#16]

I have no idea at what temperature it becomes a drippy mess however I'd think fire would do it for sure.  Just as I'm sure nylon becomes a drippy mess in fire as well.  It forms at 275-325 degrees depending on thickness.
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Erickrn:
Originally Posted By Darkninja:
Awesome! I want some right now! Make some knife sheaths since I don't own hand guns.

I'm 19.
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 6:43:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Chas8008:

what?

No but he is a LAV crew man and if he gets hit with a IED (Lets hope he does not) there will be fire and don't want something that is going to melt and cause more burns or something that will melt and stick to his skin. Just safety just like how there not wearing UA over there anymore!
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#19]

what?

No but he is a LAV crew man and if he gets hit with a IED (Lets hope he does not) there will be fire and don't want something that is going to melt and cause more burns or something that will melt and stick to his skin. Just safety just like how there not wearing UA over there anymore!

ok
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 7:32:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By MattNificent:
alright so i got my stuff from knifekits.com....which side of this foam do i use against the kydex?? or does it matter?

I've tried using both sides, and don't really see much difference. If I had to pick, it does seem that the shinier side works just a little better.

Link Posted: 2/2/2010 1:14:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MattNificent] [#21]
well here it is, in an unfinished state...still have some trimming/shaping to do, and add some belt loops on it...

i used .08 thickness, and the #8-8 rivets, and the rivet hand setter, and the foam, all from knifekits.com....
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 1:39:05 AM EDT
[#22]

what?

ok

i figure any holster he has is gonna be made of kydex...
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 4:39:18 AM EDT
[#23]
I work at a plastics distributor and we stock kydex. If anyone is interested in a 4'x8' sheet let me know and I can cut it into smaller pieces to ship UPS. I could get you a good deal. We don't really have any scraps because we sell by full sheets so usually cut them to 8  24x24's or like 12 16x 24's.
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 5:22:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rich219] [#24]
How well does a heat gun work for heating up kydex?

What thickness kydex is best for making handgun holsters?
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 7:21:54 AM EDT
[#25]
A heat gun is what I use most of the time.  I've used a hair dryer for final adjustments.
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 7:29:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Maggot:
I work at a plastics distributor and we stock kydex. If anyone is interested in a 4'x8' sheet let me know and I can cut it into smaller pieces to ship UPS. I could get you a good deal. We don't really have any scraps because we sell by full sheets so usually cut them to 8  24x24's or like 12 16x 24's.

What colors? Finishes? Thickness?
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 7:38:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Rich219:
How well does a heat gun work for heating up kydex?

What thickness kydex is best for making handgun holsters?

A heat gun will certainly work.  I use the heat gun for some final bending.  For a larger piece, i.e. dual mag holder or holster, it will be hard to keep the entire piece hot enough to bend it well but it certainly can work, you'd just have to work a little harder.

I like .08 for IWB and even sometimes OWB holsters and OWB mag holders.  I prefer .093 for holsters though.  It's a little harder to work and the bends are not very crisp but it just feels better, more sturdy.  That being said I wouldn't hesitate to make a .08 holster.  I've used .06 stuff for IWB before and it works very well, it's just not quite as robust, which for IWB is a good thing.  

Link Posted: 2/2/2010 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Oh snap, Knifekits.com has digital camouflage Kydex.
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 4:53:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MattNificent] [#29]
here the finished product...

i think ive found a new addiction...im going to make kydex everything..holsters,sheaths,shoes,boxers,condoms, EVERYTHING!!
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 9:45:01 PM EDT
[#30]

So, what does a 4X8 sheet of black, .093 kydex cut into 12 pieces cost?

SRM
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 10:44:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By SRM:

SRM

+3 (I asked earlier too )
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 9:46:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rich219] [#32]
Does a Kydex holster wear the finish on a gun quicker than leather?
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 1:16:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By macman37:

SRM

+3 (I asked earlier too )

+4

Also, I finally received a blue gun I bought the other day.  It apparently is just a tad smaller than the real deal and thus messing with my master plan to buy a Glock 17 mold and make myself a Glock 26 Kydex holster and a Glock 23 holster for my brother...  Anyone have any experience with Blue Guns running small?  Or am I just the lucky one?
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#34]
What are you guys using to trim the edges of your kydex creations?  I tried a dremel with a spiral cut bit but it was too hard to control.  Then I tried a coping saw that worked better but it still left a rough edge and was a bit tough to get through the material.  How are you all getting such neat, smooth edges?
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 8:59:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By Thrash1982:

What are you guys using to trim the edges of your kydex creations?  I tried a dremel with a spiral cut bit but it was too hard to control.  Then I tried a coping saw that worked better but it still left a rough edge and was a bit tough to get through the material.  How are you all getting such neat, smooth edges?

sand it

Link Posted: 2/7/2010 9:38:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Anyone in for a group buy !     I need to drop THIS off at the Texas home town forum.  I'll take five please !!
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By MattNificent:
here the finished product...

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e99/MattNif/IMAGE_162.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e99/MattNif/IMAGE_163.jpg

i think ive found a new addiction...im going to make kydex everything..holsters,sheaths,shoes,boxers,condoms, EVERYTHING!!

Great job!! How much cant does that holster have? It's hard to tell from that pic.

I think we have infected another one with this disease.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Beken:

Also, I finally received a blue gun I bought the other day.  It apparently is just a tad smaller than the real deal and thus messing with my master plan to buy a Glock 17 mold and make myself a Glock 26 Kydex holster and a Glock 23 holster for my brother...  Anyone have any experience with Blue Guns running small?  Or am I just the lucky one?

I haven't tried any of the blue guns yet. I just mold off the original gun. If you know where it is too small, you can run a skim coat of bondo or similar, and sand to proper dimension. I have heard that some of the pros do that, and extend sight channels and other relief the same way. For instance, if you are molding a 1911 and were concerned about an extended slide release. You can bondo your blue gun from the slide release all the way to the grip, and you will form a channel for the slide release. Hope that makes sense.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 11:02:51 PM EDT
[#39]
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Originally Posted By Beken

My 19 blue gun is smaller than my actual glock.  It rattles in my holster that is otherwise tight.  

Has anyone made any type of molle clip?  Or some other way to attach kydex holster/pouch/etc to molle webbing?
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 7:19:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By TobyLazur:

Has anyone made any type of molle clip?  Or some other way to attach kydex holster/pouch/etc to molle webbing?

I've been thinking about this too.

Best I can come up with (without having done it yet) is a couple of strips of plastic that weave into the MOLLE webbing, and Chicago screw into the holster...
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 8:34:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Someone has already came up with a nice clean solution, MOLLE-Lok.

Your idea would work well too though I think.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 11:34:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By millsusaf:
Someone has already came up with a nice clean solution, MOLLE-Lok.

http://www.blade-tech.com/product_images/d_328.jpg

Your idea would work well too though I think.

I've looked at those as well as the tactical tailor malice clips.  The biggest problem is those are all $1.50-4.00 a PIECE.  Plus shipping.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 11:24:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Any damage to polymer firearms when forming the kydex?  Does the kydex attempt to stick to polymer firearms?
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 11:30:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Barely:
Any damage to polymer firearms when forming the kydex?  Does the kydex attempt to stick to polymer firearms?

I've molded Glocks and LCP's, and never had an issue. Kydex has never gotten "sticky" with me. I would say it's entirely too hot and probably rolling up if it tries to stick to anything.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 7:50:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Just a question for anyone. Has anyone tried to rig any metal parts on there Kydex? I was thinking of making a sheath for my knife and trying to place some metal on it to be used as a scrapper for a fire steel rod?
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 9:33:25 PM EDT
[#46]
is there an easier way to flare the rivets without having to buy the $34 flare tool?
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#47]
You can buy the cheaper punch type dies but I've read that they don't do a great job.

punch
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 10:32:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 5:25:32 AM EDT
[#49]

SRM

Yes Maggot, give us some prices to work with, Please.
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 7:19:25 AM EDT
[#50]
bump
Page / 83
Do it yourself Kydex.... (Page 4 of 83)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top