Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Do it yourself Kydex.... (Page 64 of 83)
Page / 83
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:16:19 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By purple85gt:

How would you make one with a paddle?

I am wanting something I can put on fast while taking the dog out or other "make a quick trip" type activities.
View Quote
http://www.ifithermoplastics.com/products/blade-tech-accessories

Here where you can get the paddle attachment.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By TobyLazur:

Where are you getting the thumb break pieces from?
View Quote
Level II attachments are available here.

http://www.ifithermoplastics.com/products/blade-tech-accessories

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:22:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Just finished up the plumbing for my new vacuum former I made. I'll be testing it tomorrow.

The top of the former is upside down waiting for the silicone to dry between the joints of the sealing foam.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Everything works like it should.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#5]

That's awesome looks like something out of science fiction...
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:40:13 PM EDT
[#6]
What thickness are you guys using for your holsters and belt loops?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:06:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jjglith] [#7]

View Quote
I don't offer a hybrid style. I make taco or pancake holsters I use mostly .080

Some pancake holsters get a .093 or .125 for the back & .080 for the front.

Since all the major suppliers now have injected polymer loops/clips I quit making my own.

But is you want to make them yourself use .125

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:29:52 AM EDT
[#8]

I haven't read much on using a vacuum but do you waste more material this way? Obviously your definition is insane and you aren't putting a lot of pressure on a firearms like you would with a press but what are some of the other benefits of doing it this way?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:27:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By jjglith:
Since all the major suppliers now have injected polymer loops/clips I quit making my own.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Awesome, thank you.  Ordering some material this week.  Haven't made anything in almost 2 years, but excited to get back to it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By LINK54:
I haven't read much on using a vacuum but do you waste more material this way? Obviously your definition is insane and you aren't putting a lot of pressure on a firearms like you would with a press but what are some of the other benefits of doing it this way?
View All Quotes

Actually the waste is minimized. You can position the sheet and not get shifting like in a book/taco press. Waste to me is just part of the process. I try to keep it to a minimum but it's better to use a bigger piece and cut it to your style of holster than to be short then try to make it fit the gun.  On a vacuum former you can see the placement of the Kydex not like a regular press.

This is my first entry into vacuum formers I have no intention of selling them this was one of three that I and another guys built. It's more of a added dimension of holster making. I still use both my book and taco press.

This press was cloned from a press that was selling for $500.00 (just the press ). My total cost was not that high. If your interested in building one or buying one or just looking for more good information on construction and use you can visit the KydexPro forum. The threads about vacuum forming on this forum are very useful and informative.

I got a lot of ideas for the plumbing of my press from that forum.

Benefits: Yep the definition is outstanding. I'm still discovering different ways to use the press.

I can press the top and bottom at the same time.

The time from oven to press is dramatically improved resulting no serious loss of temperature of the Kydex.

I can do pancakes with variable splits 70/30, 80/20 depending on the foam used and the thickness of the cutout. The cutout is simply a one piece generous size outline of the gun that you place over the gun. Process is Kydex on the cutout-gun-top layer of kydex.  

A true 50/50 can be done with a blue gun split down the middle butterfly style.

One of the gun mold makers offers this as a special order. The thickness of the cutout determines the split.  

Although I don't do hybrids but it is capable of producing excellent shells for hybrids.

With a curved platform you can put the curve in a holster body eliminating a lot of different processes to attain the same results.

Taco's can be done also.

Multiple mag holders can be laid out and pressed instead of one at a time.

For me, it sped up my production time.

If your only making a few holsters every so often maybe a vacuum former would not be suitable for that situation.

Hope this helped.

Here's some links of commercial ready built units if you don't want to build one yourself.

http://youtu.be/Y8OgfXpnQAo

http://youtu.be/-jPOlbcVZac

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:42:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Actually the waste is minimized. You can position the sheet and not get shifting like in a book/taco press. Waste to me is just part of the process. I try to keep it to a minimum but it's better to use a bigger piece and cut it to your style of holster than to be short then try to make it fit the gun.  On a vacuum former you can see the placement of the Kydex not like a regular press.
This is my first entry into vacuum formers I have no intention of selling them this was one of three that I and another guys built. It's more of a added dimension of holster making. I still use both my book and taco press.
This press was cloned from a press that was selling for $500.00 (just the press ). My total cost was not that high. If your interested in building one or buying one or just looking for more good information on construction and use you can visit the KydexPro forum. The threads about vacuum forming on this forum are very useful and informative.

Benefits: Yep the definition is outstanding. I'm still discovering different ways to use the press.
The time from oven to press is dramatically improved resulting no serious loss of temperature of the Kydex.
I can do pancakes with variable splits 70/30, 80/20 depending on the foam used and the thickness of the cutout. The cutout is simply a one piece generous size outline of the gun that you place over the gun. Process is Kydex on the cutout-gun-top layer of kydex.  
One of the gun mold makers offers this as a special order. The thickness of the cutout determines the split.  
Although I don't do hybrids but it is capable of producing excellent shells for hybrids.
With a curved platform you can put the curve in a holster body eliminating a lot of different processes to attain the same results.
Taco's can be done also.
If your only making a few holsters every so often maybe a vacuum former would not be suitable for that situation.
Hope this helped.
Here's some links of commercial ready built units if you don't want to build one yourself.

View All Quotes

Taco's can be done also.
Hope this helped.

Thanks! I'm going to start reading about this more I guess. Very interesting.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:46:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Thanks! I'm going to start reading about this more I guess. Very interesting.
View Quote

Yes, all of this cooking plastic to make holsters, sheaths,
mag carriers etc. is interesting. PVC Thermoforming has become relatively easy
and the results are in some cases amazing. The learning curve has been
shortened. It doesn't take a huge investment to get started. Basically anyone
can do it. The difference is in the craftsman ship you put into something you
have made. Some are rough and some are exceptional. But they all do the job
with some better than others.

I love this thread and have just recently read the whole
damn thing. It is a time line of where this craft of holster making had begun
and where it is today. With a cast of characters unlike anywhere else. It is
truly a great thread.

Holster making has changed for the better since it's
beginnings.

Press has evolved from guy's standing on a board over cut up
pieces of exercise mat on top of a piece of hot black plastic.

Stuff like making your own holster loops is not necessary
any longer with the selection of polymer loops and struts, mil-spec webbing and
Pull-The Dot fasteners. There are new suppliers out there that have what you
need to make a safe, rugged and damn near indestructible holster. One large
American fastener company saw the potential and opened a separate division just
for us benders. This can be a great hobby or possibly a small home run
business. In some cases it can get as big as you want it. My point is that
because of the need for something other than leather or nylon/cordura holsters
a lot of people have decided to create small American business, some hiring
workers. Some home based companies, with low overhead, make some money too.
Some people who only consider this a hobby and sell a few holsters on the side.
What this plastic cooking has done is a step in the right direction to try to
resurrect the American dream. Thank you fellow Arfcom members y'all did good. I
hope I can continue to contribute to the continuation of this craft and this thread.
</rant>

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:46:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Posted this for another members inquiry so I guess I can post it here too.

My holsters have came a long way but are still not on the level of some of you.

They work well though and that counts for something.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:53:13 AM EDT
[#15]
0422141616~2 by 4DAIVIPAI2K5, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:34:30 AM EDT
[#16]
These little "Bug" guns give me the fits. Here's 3 IWB with different sweat shields.

I used the CB taco press.

.080 Kydex. Injected Polymer belt clip.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Best place to buy scrap .080" black kydex?
I need a 10"x 4" section for a misc project
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:38:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By bradpierson26:

Best place to buy scrap .080" black kydex?

I need a 10"x 4" section for a misc project
View Quote
I'll trade you for a butchered pelican case . PM me your address and I'll ship you a piece.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:04:38 AM EDT
[#20]
G19 adj retention, soft loop and strut. Crappy cell photos. Still figuring out the logo labeling... who knew a stamp wouldnt hit in a neg bend
0425142018b by 4DAIVIPAI2K5, on Flickr
0425142018c by 4DAIVIPAI2K5, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:23:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: para_frame] [#21]
Originally Posted By JBeast35:

<a href="http://s.photobucket.com/user/jrhack79/media/kydex/3361C210-1B47-4175-8575-719FC68A2088_zpsctzld9bg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/jrhack79/kydex/3361C210-1B47-4175-8575-719FC68A2088_zpsctzld9bg.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s.photobucket.com/user/jrhack79/media/kydex/9BE4D61D-7959-4A2F-8875-02D29E960C4F_zpsxuimgf8n.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/jrhack79/kydex/9BE4D61D-7959-4A2F-8875-02D29E960C4F_zpsxuimgf8n.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s.photobucket.com/user/jrhack79/media/kydex/587085CE-D21C-4548-B5AE-F6048E251EED_zpsal45ydrg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/jrhack79/kydex/587085CE-D21C-4548-B5AE-F6048E251EED_zpsal45ydrg.jpg</a>
View Quote

Tell us the truth, those cuffs are stuck in there permanently aren't they? But really, those can't be easy to draw.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Are any of you guys doing taco style holsters that mount to molle loops?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:44:38 PM EDT
[#23]
[b]Originally Posted By para_frame
Tell us the truth, those cuffs are stuck in there permanently aren't they? But really, those can't be easy to draw.
View Quote

They actually come out very quickly because of open design.. This carrier is used 40 hours a week with no issues.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:00:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Knew I had been saving all my scraps for some thing.
0427142003 by 4DAIVIPAI2K5, on Flickr
0427141847 by 4DAIVIPAI2K5, on Flickr
0427142053 by 4DAIVIPAI2K5, on Flickr

Still getting the hand of the stamping. Plan on giving out the key chains with orders. Waiting on one more stamp to come in before I start that.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:37:50 PM EDT
[#25]

They actually come out very quickly because of open design.. This carrier is used 40 hours a week with no issues.
View All Quotes

Is it two separate pieces riveted together or is it tacoed at the bottom or side opposite of the rivets? Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 8:52:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By para_frame:

Is it two separate pieces riveted together or is it tacoed at the bottom or side opposite of the rivets? Thanks.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By para_frame:

Its a taco. Folded at the base and open on both sides. Rivoted on the left so its open for aright hand draw. Secured with a large tek-lock.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 9:47:18 AM EDT
[#27]
AIWB for a Ruger LCP w/Crimson Trace Laser.

These small "Bug" guns are are tough to work with. I finally came up with this.

Ride height & retention can be adjusted. It makes a good design for deep cover.

Customer was happy and that's all that counts.

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 10:35:03 AM EDT
[#28]
What is the third screw for?
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By 4DAIVIPAI2K5:

What is the third screw for?
View Quote
That hardware covers the hole for the ride height adjustment.

If the person wants to raise the holster 3/4" on a 7" gun.

You redo the screws and drop the loop.

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 3:36:20 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 4/30/2014 9:06:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Customer sent this photo of their gun asking about color matching:

Here is what I came up with:

Link Posted: 4/30/2014 10:43:40 AM EDT
[#32]

nice
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 12:24:18 PM EDT
[#33]

nice

View All Quotes

nice

And to test, The holster will be used in a 2 day ~500 round hand gun class this weekend!
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#34]
can someone IM me a link where I can learn step by step how to begin?

also, with what parts/tools i need, etc.

Ive read the post on m4carbine but all of the pictures are gone from the users photobucket.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:24:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DonKey153] [#35]
Originally Posted By dogesco93:

Ive read the post on m4carbine but all of the pictures are gone from the users photobucket.
View Quote

kydex press - you can buy one pre-made, or build your own
clamps for the kydex press
oven - I use a small toaster oven
infared thermometer - to get the temp on the kydex right ~320*
some kind of bandsaw or scroll saw - I use a bandsaw, but there are smaller and more economical options out there.
riveting tools - Dies at the very least, but it's sure nice to have them mounted to an arbor press.
buffing/sisal wheel
belt sander
heat gun for modifying/putting bends in holsters
hole templates are really nice to have, but not completely necessary
popsicle sticks for building up parts of the gun you don't want the kydex to touch.
painters tape to hold the popsicle sticks in place.
rulers/straight edge/ colored pencils/erasers for marking cuts and layout
box cutter for cutting large chunks of kydex out of a sheet.

check out phlster's vids on youtube for how-to. He covers most of it, but a lot needs to be learned through experience

once I get a gun taped up the way you want it and the kydex formed, cut one side of the tape along the slide and peel it off. This is a template you can use on other guns of the same model. Templates are molds are the secret to making a quality product imo.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 7:46:38 AM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

There are a ton of videos on YouTube.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 4:04:30 PM EDT
[#37]
anyone use a dremel for any portion of the process?

im gathering everything i need to start and was wondering if a good dremel would be useful for any parts of the process.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 7:21:39 PM EDT
[#38]
I use my dremel all the time
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 10:07:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_Man] [#39]
I use my dremel all the time
View Quote

+1

Very handy to smooth out the top edges on the holster where its too tight and "curvy" to use strait-edge sanding tools.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 10:10:01 PM EDT
[#40]
_MG_5666 by 4DAIVIPAI2K5, on Flickr

using all scraps now.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 9:33:40 AM EDT
[#41]
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/ntLsYc" target="_blank">https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5560/14097713171_496cf6c8f9_z.jpg</a>_MG_5666 by 4DAIVIPAI2K5, on Flickr

using all scraps now.
View Quote

That gives me an idea. I carry a AAA streamlight micro stream and use the 3.7 volt batteries. Thing is they only last half as long.

I could make a keychain holster for a spare AAA battery and it would be like a key fob instead of a battery rolling around in your pocket and would be with me always.

Link Posted: 5/5/2014 9:44:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By 23pistol23:

That gives me an idea. I carry a AAA streamlight micro stream and use the 3.7 volt batteries. Thing is they only last half as long.

I could make a keychain holster for a spare AAA battery and it would be like a key fob instead of a battery rolling around in your pocket and would be with me always.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 23pistol23:
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/ntLsYc" target="_blank">https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5560/14097713171_496cf6c8f9_z.jpg</a>_MG_5666 by 4DAIVIPAI2K5, on Flickr

using all scraps now.

that would be slick.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 2:54:22 PM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 5/5/2014 4:50:35 PM EDT
[#44]
i cant get my taco style knife sheaths to fold just right. is there a trick to it?
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 9:05:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Using a cb press?
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 3:46:52 PM EDT
[#46]

im gathering everything i need to start and was wondering if a good dremel would be useful for any parts of the process.
View Quote
I use one with a sanding wheel to flatten the edges prior to sanding and polishing. I use the diamond cutting wheels from HF for rough cutouts of sweat shields where a scroll/band saw isn't useful. The hard felt wheels also are good for final polishing. I just discovered a pack of circular saw blades for the rotary tool it zips through Kydex. (and your fingers if your not careful)

http://www.harborfreight.com/diamond-coated-rotary-cutting-discs-5-pc-69657.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-hss-saw-blade-with-mandrel-set-67224.html

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 9:23:58 PM EDT
[#47]
I use one with a sanding wheel to flatten the edges prior to sanding and polishing. I use the diamond cutting wheels from HF for rough cutouts of sweat shields where a scroll/band saw isn't useful. The hard felt wheels also are good for final polishing. I just discovered a pack of circular saw blades for the rotary tool it zips through Kydex. (and your fingers if your not careful)
http://www.harborfreight.com/diamond-coated-rotary-cutting-discs-5-pc-69657.html

View All Quotes

I've found those at HF about 9 months ago.  They work well.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 5:31:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_Man] [#48]
Playing around with some scrap pieces, decided to try making a "competition" style holster.  Used the Safariland standard 3-hole mount pattern and mounted it to a SL drop-offset belt mount.  Came out pretty well and was quick to shape up.  Might make another one with a nicer piece of kydex.

ETA: had the time and these type go together so easily, made a "production" model in coyote.  

Link Posted: 5/15/2014 9:53:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Here ya go Brad. Crappy cell pictures before I washed it up.

0515141741 by 4DAIVIPAI2K5, on Flickr
0515141741a by 4DAIVIPAI2K5, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#50]

Page / 83
Do it yourself Kydex.... (Page 64 of 83)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top