User Panel

Site Notices
Do it yourself Kydex.... (Page 2 of 83)
Page / 83
Link Posted: 10/11/2009 11:22:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By bmw20:
Originally Posted By leatherman84:
Inquiring minds would like to know what the ideal samples are.

Sorry for the late reply.

They have way more types of kydex now than when I requested my sample - I'm not sure what would be the best. When I requested my sample I typed in the "notes" field that I was interested in kydex for sheath making and told them the thickness and color (.093 in black).
I don't want to steer anyone wrong - I really don't know what would be best out of all the different types they currently have. I'm sure if you left them a note they will send what you are looking for.

No prob, Thank you for sharing the sample page. I have an idea for a product I'm making/designing. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 10/11/2009 11:46:50 PM EDT
[#2]
If I have a 12" x 12" sheet of kydex and I am making a small knife sheath, what is a good tool to cut the kydex?
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 1:41:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm in.  Ordered some Kydex, need to order the foam and find a press at Harbor Freight.

Link Posted: 10/12/2009 8:29:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By banana-clip:
If I have a 12" x 12" sheet of kydex and I am making a small knife sheath, what is a good tool to cut the kydex?

Ruler and a box knife.  Score it several times and it should break in 1/2.  Some use a circular saw or a band saw also.  I've never tried the circular saw but the band saw also works well.

Link Posted: 10/12/2009 8:36:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I've seen lots of people talk about the temp.  I've heated mine to 300-325 before with fine results.  It heats up a lot quicker however the key is to watch it closely.  If you leave it in there too long it will start to smoke (not a good thing) and then next it shrinks and becomes unusable.  It heats in about a minute however there is literally a 10-15 second window to go from a usable piece to a non-usable piece.

I'm not suggesting you heat your kydex this high, my only purpose is to let you know what it will do at those temps.
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 8:50:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I finally found it!

Kydex Forum Request

This was a thread started by someone in the industry, ron61, to help people who wanted to learn how to roll their own kydex.  It went a couple of pages and has LOADS of good info however never got any wheels to get it's own forum unfortunately.
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 11:18:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By millsusaf:
I finally found it!

Kydex Forum Request

This was a thread started by someone in the industry, ron61, to help people who wanted to learn how to roll their own kydex.  It went a couple of pages and has LOADS of good info however never got any wheels to get it's own forum unfortunately.

A couple of those holsters had leather or cloth lining of some sort.  I would want to add that, as I had a nice 1911 scratched up from a kydex holster before.

I imagine the lining is just glued in?

Link Posted: 10/12/2009 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By KingRat:
I finally found it!

Kydex Forum Request

A couple of those holsters had leather or cloth lining of some sort.  I would want to add that, as I had a nice 1911 scratched up from a kydex holster before.

I imagine the lining is just glued in?

Their product, their process and they are not telling.  However with a little research I found a couple of promising glues that might work.  Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to test it out though.

But here is my research:
Glues
Kydex Bonding
The reverse of what you want to accomplish but still good useful info

Link Posted: 10/12/2009 10:23:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: banana-clip] [#9]
Originally Posted By double_trouble_2003:
I'm in.  Ordered some Kydex, need to order the foam and find a press at Harbor Freight.

Which press at Harbor Freight would work good for kydex?

Just went through their website and couldn't find anything that looked like it would work.
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 9:30:35 AM EDT
[#10]
The only press at harbor freight that I know of that could be used with kydex is an arbor press for the riveting.  Although personally I don't think it is needed.  My drill press works just fine for pressing rivets.  The actual kydex press either has to be purchased from places like knifekits.com or made.  When I get a chance today I'll take pictures of the press I made out of scrap wood and post them.  It's not the best but it works great for what I'm doing with it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I ordered some sample kydex from the link posted on here and I got a small box with a bunch of different colored very thin kydex that is like   2" x 4" in size.  

I thought they would send a sheet or two decent size kydex that you could make a sheath or two out of.

What did everyone else get that ordered the kydex samples on the link on this thread?
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 8:39:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I ordered some sample kydex from the link posted on here and I got a small box with a bunch of different colored very thin kydex that is like   2" x 4" in size.  

I thought they would send a sheet or two decent size kydex that you could make a sheath or two out of.

What did everyone else get that ordered the kydex samples on the link on this thread?

Same as you.
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I guess you get what you pay for.  hahahah  Sorry, I just though that was funny.  

If you want to start, seriously just do it and get a sheet or two from knifekits.com or the like.
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 9:52:55 PM EDT
[#14]
A thought came to mind.  I have used my Foodsaver as a vacuum press when making veneer projects.  I think it would work just fine to press form the kydex.  I have been playing with leather....looks like time to play with kydex.

Doc
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 9:56:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I haven't seen it done with a Foodsaver (although I don't see why it wouldn't work) but I have seen it down with vacuum tables and the like.

http://www.f1design.us/05_projects/04_kydex_molding/index.htm

Please let us know how the Foodsaver works out.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 12:48:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I guess you get what you pay for.  hahahah  Sorry, I just though that was funny.  

If you want to start, seriously just do it and get a sheet or two from knifekits.com or the like.

lol...I knew it was too good to be true to get some free kydex.

I'll get on knifekits and get some ordered.

Link Posted: 10/16/2009 1:50:55 PM EDT
[#17]

lol...I knew it was too good to be true to get some free kydex.

I'll get on knifekits and get some ordered.

They have changed the process since I ordered mine then. I learned of the link over a year ago on the bladeforums.com website from some guys who were just getting started in sheath making. I've actually requested samples from them twice (2 diff email and home addresses). The first time I received
(2) 12x12 kydex sheets. The second time I received (1) 12x12 kydex sheet. Myself and others have told quite a few people about the link, they were probably inundated with sample requests.  

sorry it didn't work out for you. As posted earlier - knifekits is a great place to get supplies from and the kydex itself is pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Interesting, I recieved an email from the mfg and the mfg rep.  They said the sheet was in the mail.

Link Posted: 10/19/2009 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I got two 12x12 sheets one is .125 and the other is .06  I think i would order .09 in the future
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By double_trouble_2003:
Interesting, I recieved an email from the mfg and the mfg rep.  They said the sheet was in the mail.

Mine showed up today.  It's a gigantic box of samples and brochures, but not the 12x12 sheet I wanted.  I'll take pictures and post - this thing must have cost them $20.
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 8:38:20 PM EDT
[#21]
This is an awesome thread....the old wheels are cranking now!
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#22]
how did the food saver idea turn out?
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 7:25:22 PM EDT
[#23]
A lot of great info in this thread!

For those of you who have done this, what are the odds of heating up a Minotaur MTAC for a Sig 220 with rail and remolding it for a Sig 220 Combat, which has a wider rail?

I can't seem to find an IWB holster for this gun and have and 'extra' holster that I could try it with, but it would be an expensive experiment if things went wrong.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 10:18:06 PM EDT
[#24]
great info keep it comein ..got a nice winter project
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 10:39:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm going to order some kydex from knifekits.com and start making some sheath for my knives.  Can't wait to get started.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 6:02:27 PM EDT
[#26]
As promised (or at least I think I did).

I just pieced this together from scrap wood.  6" C clamps do the job of pressing.  My only suggustion is to NOT glue your foam to the boards.  I'll have some fun pretty soon scraping it off.  

And here is some things I've been working on lately.

Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:19:55 PM EDT
[#27]
This is a cool thread.

When i get caught up on some other stuff i'll have to give it a try.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:58:31 PM EDT
[#28]

I just pieced this together from scrap wood.  6" C clamps do the job of pressing.  My only suggustion is to NOT glue your foam to the boards.  I'll have some fun pretty soon scraping it off.

Ditto on not gluing down the foam. I've had moderate success just using woos screws in the corners and countersinking them into the foam. As long as the screw heads don't line up or the Kydex lays on top of them, so far good to go and an easy swap when the foam gets worn out. I had also thought about using aluminum channel on the sides and underlap the top. Just slide in and slide out when you need new foam. Quick Grip Clamps also work a little faster than C-Clamps, but don't put near enough pressure. I usually end up having to touch my stuff up by hand with a heat gun and a piece of foam. Oh, and if it hasn't been mentioned before, using a pair of tight fitting thin leather gloves helps to get the kydex out of the oven and molded before it cools down. Just make sure the gloves are fairly clean.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 10:39:50 PM EDT
[#29]
I haven't yet made anything from my Kydex (my rivet press is not up and running yet) but I use sticky-back Velcro to hold the foam on to the back of my plywood. It keeps it in position well, and that's all I need it to do
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 7:56:07 AM EDT
[#30]
That is a great idea!  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 6:31:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3DD3] [#31]
my kydex creation

Link Posted: 10/27/2009 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#32]
That a Schrade isn't it? I have one exactly like it. Got it when they were still made in the USA. It stays in the safe unused. Your sheath turned out really nice. I made a couple a while back for a swamprat and a kershaw I really liked. I also made some for some firesteels I made. Now they are Tactical Firesteels cause they have a Kydex sheath.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 6:58:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3DD3] [#33]
Originally Posted By ROOSTER15:
That a Schrade isn't it? I have one exactly like it. Got it when they were still made in the USA. It stays in the safe unused. Your sheath turned out really nice. I made a couple a while back for a swamprat and a kershaw I really liked. I also made some for some firesteels I made. Now they are Tactical Firesteels cause they have a Kydex sheath.

Yes
It was my dads when he died my brother and I had piles (!) of knifes we split up between us.The leather sheath was beat to hell and the stitching was going to shit.SO......The blade does need a little edge work but I like it.Next I have a Gerber multi tool I plan on working/making a new case for.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 2:08:11 AM EDT
[#34]
I went to a thrift store and bought a $4 toaster oven to bake my plastic in the garage......
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 2:12:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Metcalf:
If the that table doesn't provide enough force you can always reheat the kydex and just stand on the boards for 10 minutes....as long as you weigh about 180lbs :)

That's what I did the first time.

Note: if your making a 'folded' part I don't know if you could reheat it.

Yes you can!I had a piece I heated and it "popped'' open and lay flat and I reshaped it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 3:27:26 AM EDT
[#36]
I also just ordered "the free sheet" and 2 sample boxes.My GF works for a interior decorating company so i was specific in what I wanted and requested a 12x12 sheet, thickness and color.And plan to pass on a sample box to them.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By 3DD3:
I also just ordered "the free sheet" and 2 sample boxes.My GF works for a interior decorating company so i was specific in what I wanted and requested a 12x12 sheet, thickness and color.And plan to pass on a sample box to them.

I did the same thing but ended up getting a small box of 2" x 4" very thin kydex in every color imaginable.  

It was too small to make anything out of.  

Hopefully you will get the 12" x 12" sheet.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 10:39:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3DD3] [#38]

I did the same thing but ended up getting a small box of 2" x 4" very thin kydex in every color imaginable.  

It was too small to make anything out of.  

Hopefully you will get the 12" x 12" sheet.

I received this Email today
Thank you for your inquiry and interest in KYDEX® thermoplastic sheet products. KYDEX® 150 Protective Wallcovering is sold though * who will also supply you with samples and literature as requested.

J with* can assist you further with your requirements.  I noted her contact information below and included her on this email communication.

J

Looks like the sheet deal is gone....
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:31:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Muddydogs] [#39]
Thought I would post up a few things I made with Kydex

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 10:19:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:54:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Bump for more ideas for items to KYDEX
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:02:36 PM EDT
[#42]
millsusaf: Very, very good work, my friend. If I didn't know any better, I'd wonder what company you bought those from.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:43:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By bdhsnake:

where do you get your small parts ?

+1, I'd like to know too.  I HATE chicago screws.  I'd really like to have an alternative.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:10:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bdhsnake] [#44]
Originally Posted By bdhsnake:

where do you get your small parts ?

+1, I'd like to know too.  I HATE chicago screws.  I'd really like to have an alternative.

lowes home depot has most of the stuff in normal steel finish  they did not have anything in black

pronged tee nuts # 6-32x1/4
finish washers #6
machine  screws  #6-32 x1/2" and 3/8"
tubeing to fit

there is the mounting stuff should have gotter a size Larger but not a real big deal

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:04:37 PM EDT
[#45]

And here is some things I've been working on lately.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h176/millsusaf/Kydex%20Projects/Hybrid/CIMG6730.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h176/millsusaf/Kydex%20Projects/Hybrid/CIMG6731.jpg

one thing you want to add either T nuts or grommets in leather where the clips are attached so that  you so not inlarge the holes
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:30:54 PM EDT
[#46]
How thick are the sheets?  I've been looking online and you can find them in multiple thicknesses.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:23:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By dispatch55126:
How thick are the sheets?  I've been looking online and you can find them in multiple thicknesses.

.080 -.093
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:57:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By dispatch55126:

.080 -.093

I've also used .063.  It works well for the IWB applications or things that are lightweight.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:35:52 PM EDT
[#49]
I received my chip sets and 8x8 sheet of .028 piece of chocolate pear
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Here's a few things I've been playing with

Not the greatest, or most innovative, but it is enjoyable to wear what you make.
Page / 83
Do it yourself Kydex.... (Page 2 of 83)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top