Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2009 2:26:02 PM EDT
How much bleach per gal of water for long term storage?

i thought i re-call somebody saying 1 tea spoon per 5 gal.

i'm going to be filling 3 of the 7 gal auqua tanners.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 3:01:53 PM EDT
[#1]

DISINFECTION:
For long-term storage, tap water should be sterilized or disinfected in thoroughly cleaned plastic or glass containers. Water can be chemically disinfected for long-term storage by treating each gallon with 16 drops of liquid chlorine bleach (Clorox or Purex type bleaches, containing 4% to 6% sodium hypochlorite; do not use scented bleach). One teaspoon of bleach disinfects five gallons of water. Three tablespoons will disinfect 55 gallons of water. This level of treatment will kill bacteria and viruses and prevent the growth of microorganisms during storage. Also check with your local water plant for any additional information they may have for you.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#2]
1mL per gallon.

5mL (teaspoon) for 5 gallons.

Get a syringe to measure with.   Much better than measuring spoon.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I was reading an article today that changed my mind on storing bleach for water purification. Pure Chlorine, like the stuff you buy for swimming pools is cheap and does a much better job of purifying water. In fact, chlorine is the active ingredient in bleach that purifies the water. A table spoon can purify a 55 gal drum of water. You have to make sure to buy the 95% pure variety though.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was reading an article today that changed my mind on storing bleach for water purification. Pure Chlorine, like the stuff you buy for swimming pools is cheap and does a much better job of purifying water. In fact, chlorine is the active ingredient in bleach that purifies the water. A table spoon can purify a 55 gal drum of water. You have to make sure to buy the 95% pure variety though.

This, Leslie's pool shock I believe?
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You are a bit mistaken, pure chlorine is a gas. Nasty green stuff. The active ingredient in most household bleaches is NaOCl (sodium hypochlorite). While the the pool tabs, at least the ones I have, are CaOCl (calcium hypochlorite).

Dont need someone getting into a mess with the man asking all over town looking for "pure chlorine."
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 6:45:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Russ;

I think that effective storage of water has more to do with using meticulously clean containers (and transfer equipment) than with adding chlorine to "clean" water before storaging in less than clean containers...

Rotating stock occasionally is also useful...

Just my 2 cents...
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are a bit mistaken, pure chlorine is a gas. Nasty green stuff. The active ingredient in most household bleaches is NaOCl (sodium hypochlorite). While the the pool tabs, at least the ones I have, are CaOCl (calcium hypochlorite).

Dont need someone getting into a mess with the man asking all over town looking for "pure chlorine."

Here is the verbiage of the document I was reading. It is part of a widely circulated document written by the Mormon Church (which is big into end times survival etc.)

(1) Standard Beach or Clorox is about 70 years out of date. Please do not use Clorox unless you have nothing else! At best - it will cause diarrhea, vomiting, cramps, at worst, bleeding ulcers. Your great, great, grandmothers might have used this product because it was all they had to make water pure, but this is not true today. The part of Clorox Bleach they sought was Chlorine. That is the part we want.
If you store water for over a year, treated with bleach, all the chlorine leaches out and the water becomes no good. What is left is untreated water, full of dyes and chemicals, which can cause intestinal problems.

(2) Spend $10 for STRAIGHT Chlorine, called pool or spa sanitizer, or something similar. It should have 97% SODIUM DICHLORO-S-TRIAZINETRIONE -. Which is straight chlorine. Chlorine is the way almost all cities treat their water –it is very cheap and works - available at any spa & pool store. WARNING: !!!You must get 97% or above or it could make you sick!!!

(2a)You ONLY need 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon, to sanitize a 55 gallon barrel. It will not leach out, and will not hurt you. It will last indefinitely. WARNING: DO NOT USE MORE!!!
(2b) Purchase a Pool Chlorine measuring kit to test your water….. It is very slow acting, so you will need to allow time for it to work. It takes about 24 hours to work, you will need to Repeat the process if there is no measurable free floating chlorine.
(2c) To remove the Chlorine taste, before you drink it, Leave the cap OFF for 24 hours, and the chlorine will evaporate out. You should let it sit, exposed to air, for 24 hours before you drink it anyway, for the best taste.
(2d) Be sure to measure for chlorine BEFORE you allow it to evaporate. If there is no measurable chlorine, there may still be bacteria in the water.                                                          
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is the verbiage of the document I was reading. It is part of a widely circulated document written by the Mormon Church (which is big into end times survival etc.)

(1) Standard Beach or Clorox is about 70 years out of date. Please do not use Clorox unless you have nothing else! At best - it will cause diarrhea, vomiting, cramps, at worst, bleeding ulcers. Your great, great, grandmothers might have used this product because it was all they had to make water pure, but this is not true today. The part of Clorox Bleach they sought was Chlorine. That is the part we want.
If you store water for over a year, treated with bleach, all the chlorine leaches out and the water becomes no good. What is left is untreated water, full of dyes and chemicals, which can cause intestinal problems.

(2) Spend $10 for STRAIGHT Chlorine, called pool or spa sanitizer, or something similar. It should have 97% SODIUM DICHLORO-S-TRIAZINETRIONE -. Which is straight chlorine. Chlorine is the way almost all cities treat their water –it is very cheap and works - available at any spa & pool store. WARNING: !!!You must get 97% or above or it could make you sick!!!

(2a)You ONLY need 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon, to sanitize a 55 gallon barrel. It will not leach out, and will not hurt you. It will last indefinitely. WARNING: DO NOT USE MORE!!!
(2b) Purchase a Pool Chlorine measuring kit to test your water….. It is very slow acting, so you will need to allow time for it to work. It takes about 24 hours to work, you will need to Repeat the process if there is no measurable free floating chlorine.
(2c) To remove the Chlorine taste, before you drink it, Leave the cap OFF for 24 hours, and the chlorine will evaporate out. You should let it sit, exposed to air, for 24 hours before you drink it anyway, for the best taste.
(2d) Be sure to measure for chlorine BEFORE you allow it to evaporate. If there is no measurable chlorine, there may still be bacteria in the water.                                                          

Would you happen to have a link to the article?
SODIUM DICHLORO-S-TRIAZINETRIONE is not STRAIGHT chlorine. When you add SODIUM DICHLORO-S-TRIAZINETRIONE to water and you breathe the off gas, THAT is straight Cl.  
I do not wish to argue semantics.

I have never experienced/heard of (1) before. Maybe I just have strong intestinal fortitude? Im assuming the quote is referring to foo foo bleach.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would you happen to have a link to the article?
SODIUM DICHLORO-S-TRIAZINETRIONE is not STRAIGHT chlorine. When you add SODIUM DICHLORO-S-TRIAZINETRIONE to water and you breathe the off gas, THAT is straight Cl.  
I do not wish to argue semantics.

I have never experienced/heard of (1) before. Maybe I just have strong intestinal fortitude? Im assuming the quote is referring to foo foo bleach.

IM me your email address and I'll send you the 9 documents that they circulate. there is some awesome stuff there.

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 5:51:15 AM EDT
[#10]
It seems everyone has a slightly diferent take on this.

Mine is I carry a medicinal dropper screwed onto a small glass vial. I keep clorox in it, and figure three drops for my canteen and a few more for my collapsible water carrier. More than that and I have 50 gallons in my water heater, another 15 or so in the back of the cammodes and a 300 acre lake about 1000 yards from my front door that is actually clean enough it could be used as a reseviour for the county.

Of course boiling is my preferred method because the taste tends to be better than bleach.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 1:39:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If you store water for over a year, treated with bleach, all the chlorine leaches out and the water becomes no good. {Not if your rotate the water as you're supposed to}What is left is untreated water, full of dyes and chemicals, which can cause intestinal problems.

I've never heard this before.

Here's a copy of the document this came from: www.disasterstuff.com/store/pc/catalog/facts-about-water.pdf

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag
5sub
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 3:43:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Get your info right from the manufacturer: Clorox website Info on Water Treatment

For clarified contaminated water to a clean container and add 8 drops

For cloudy water, use 16 drops of this product per gallon of water

Allow the treated water to stand for 30 minutes

Be sure to read the full info on their website.

I have used this method and had the water stored for two years in a cool dark basement. It did have a plastic taste from the drums it was stored in but didn't make me sick.

Red
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Just want to say thank you for all the usefull info on this.  This subject has confused me a bit cause i have heard conflicting info.  
thanks all good stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top