Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:20:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TexasTony:
DaTrue, what would something like that cost?  And does one lose the efficiency of a larger single dome for heating and cooling?
View Quote

Oh, I'm not the person to be asking about the cost, but I'm pretty confident that you wouldn't lose much of the efficiency in terms of heating and cooling.  From what I understand, that efficiency comes from having a large amount of concrete (thermal mass) that is insulated.  Once you get that concrete to the comfortable temperature that you like, it takes a lot to change that temperature, and very little to keep it that temperature.  

Think of it this way.  If it's the middle of summer and you've kept your dome cooled down to a nice, cool, 70 degrees.  Now you open all the doors and windows for 10 minutes and let all of your cool air to be replaced by 100 degree air.  Then close your doors and windows.  What temperature do you think the concrete wall of your dome is after being exposed to 100 degree heat for a few minutes?  I'm thinking it might, might have warmed up to 71 degrees, but that's probably a bit of a stretch.  Now that you've got all the doors and windows closed again, even if you don't turn your A/C on, the walls will begin to cool the air in your home.  I think that's where the efficiency comes from, and I would think that a serious of smaller domes might be even more efficient in that regard than a single large dome.  What would be inefficient, though, is that instead of using a big centralized unit, it would make the most sense to have those cheap little window A/C units that, I think, aren't the best in the world.

I bet 1BB would be able to provide you a better answer, though!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:32:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Bump for the Big_Bunker.

I have been seriously thinking about having a dome built.  There is one contractor that builds them in South Carolina.  I'd definitely want to go see domes that he has completed.  I think I'd like the Torus shape for ease of sectioning off for heating/cooling, but I'd bet it is a lot cheaper per square foot to build a regular shaped dome.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By DaTrueDave:

...  Once you get that concrete to the comfortable temperature that you like, it takes a lot to change that temperature, and very little to keep it that temperature.  

...!
View Quote

You listed benefits from the thermal flywheel effect that high mass structures have.

One of the chief efficiency benefits to a dome is all that spray foam insulation - at R 6 per inch, 6+ inches everywhere, plus the air sealing qualities somewhat unique to this type of construction.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By jchewie1:

You listed benefits from the thermal flywheel effect that high mass structures have.

One of the chief efficiency benefits to a dome is all that spray foam insulation - at R 6 per inch, 6+ inches everywhere, plus the air sealing qualities somewhat unique to this type of construction.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jchewie1:

...  Once you get that concrete to the comfortable temperature that you like, it takes a lot to change that temperature, and very little to keep it that temperature.  

...!

Actually, like I said, it's the combination of the two things that makes it really efficient.  High thermal mass INSIDE the foam insulation makes it terribly efficient.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 5:56:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Are we mixing the term 'efficient' with high [or is it low] 'thermal hysteresis'?

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 11:28:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By EXPY37:
Are we mixing the term 'efficient' with high [or is it low] 'thermal hysteresis'?

View Quote

I had to look up 'thermal hysteresis', and I don't think anyone here is referring to an object that cools differently than it warms.  I was using the term 'efficient' to refer to the cost of heating and cooling a home while discussing some of the reasons that may be.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 1:10:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I have another question.

If you have a triple dome design, like a "Hyperion" model from the monolithic.org website, and you do it with a brick stem wall, is it possible to have the center dome have a basement, but not the other overlapping domes?  Just looking for room for storage and mancave.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 1:31:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By 41magluva:

I have another question.

If you have a triple dome design, like a "Hyperion" model from the monolithic.org website, and you do it with a brick stem wall, is it possible to have the center dome have a basement, but not the other overlapping domes?  Just looking for room for storage and mancave.
View Quote
They generally say building a bigger dome is more cost effective but you should be able to build a basement

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:31:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ADKRebel] [#9]
Thanks.  I thought with the stem wall, the circumstances would be different.  Anybody know of experienced dome builders in the north east?  Ofcourse, if 1BB came up to build for me, he could enjoy the local surf and turf.  Salmon and venison.  And MORE!

At first, my dreams were to have a dome as a camp or retreat, but now we are considering moving, and building a new home.  I figure we would be in it for a minimun of 13 years.  I envision a 3 dome "hyperion" type, but with the brick stem wall method.  I asked about the basement for the center dome, because the terrain could lend itself to a walk out basement.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Me and the fam went to Italy, TX to tour some of the domes again this year.  After thinking about them for a year, it was cool to be able to go back and ask all the questions that we wish we had asked the first time.  I'm pretty sure we're sold.  If we can afford some land, our next home will be in a dome.

Actually multiple domes, as we want to create a courtyard surrounded by domes.  Something similar to this:

http://cdn.monolithic.org/vault/img/2013/03/22/514c9fb5c29e06fd1a00003a/large_dl-3602.png
View Quote
I like the court yard idea

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:06:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By sgthoskins:
View All Quotes
Me and the fam went to Italy, TX to tour some of the domes again this year.  After thinking about them for a year, it was cool to be able to go back and ask all the questions that we wish we had asked the first time.  I'm pretty sure we're sold.  If we can afford some land, our next home will be in a dome.

Actually multiple domes, as we want to create a courtyard surrounded by domes.  Something similar to this:
http://cdn.monolithic.org/vault/img/2013/03/22/514c9fb5c29e06fd1a00003a/large_dl-3602.png

Just be aware that you can't have it too small.  The Monolithic business offices have a really small courtyard and the slightest breeze produces a nice little vortex in the courtyard.  If they don't keep it swept very clean, they say it's an eternal dust devil.  You can see the courtyard inside a trio of domes here:  https://goo.gl/maps/2q1BJ   I had a discussion with an engineer there, and they seem to think that a larger courtyard (like what I want) will eliminate the dust devils, as would opening up a couple of vents between domes.

I know that I want a much larger courtyard, but I think I'm also going to put at least one nice looking wrought iron gate between two domes.  I want to be able to drive a truck into the courtyard (Landscaping?  Pool installation?  Hot tub delivery?), and it should also help kill dust devils.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:08:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaTrueDave] [#12]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:04:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Thanks.  I thought with the stem wall, the circumstances would be different.  Anybody know of experienced dome builders in the north east?  Ofcourse, if 1BB came up to build for me, he could enjoy the local surf and turf.  Salmon and venison.  And MORE!

At first, my dreams were to have a dome as a camp or retreat, but now we are considering moving, and building a new home.  I figure we would be in it for a minimun of 13 years.  I envision a 3 dome "hyperion" type, but with the brick stem wall method.  I asked about the basement for the center dome, because the terrain could lend itself to a walk out basement.

View Quote
Maybe you could add a 4th storage dome instead of a basement

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:19:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Cool thread.

Gives me something to think about.

Txl
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Just be aware that you can't have it too small.  The Monolithic business offices have a really small courtyard and the slightest breeze produces a nice little vortex in the courtyard.  If they don't keep it swept very clean, they say it's an eternal dust devil.  You can see the courtyard inside a trio of domes here:  https://goo.gl/maps/2q1BJ   I had a discussion with an engineer there, and they seem to think that a larger courtyard (like what I want) will eliminate the dust devils, as would opening up a couple of vents between domes.

I know that I want a much larger courtyard, but I think I'm also going to put at least one nice looking wrought iron gate between two domes.  I want to be able to drive a truck into the courtyard (Landscaping?  Pool installation?  Hot tub delivery?), and it should also help kill dust devils.
View All Quotes

Regarding that Monolithic business office vortex...is it reliable enough to exploit as a wind generation source?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:19:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By RoadWarrior:
Regarding that Monolithic business office vortex...is it reliable enough to exploit as a wind generation source?
View Quote

The actual vortex?  I don't think it's practical to try to harness wind coming from more than one direction, is it?  But some sort of wind turbine at the top of each dome might be pretty efficient.  The wind has to go around the dome somehow, so I would think the peak gets the most wind.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:41:38 AM EDT
[#17]

The actual vortex?  I don't think it's practical to try to harness wind coming from more than one direction, is it?  But some sort of wind turbine at the top of each dome might be pretty efficient.  The wind has to go around the dome somehow, so I would think the peak gets the most wind.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RoadWarrior:

Vertical-axis turbine at the center might be interesting.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:19:33 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Dave, here's a few pictures of it if you haven't seen the inside before. It's a little too hippy-ish for me the way it's set up now. I mean I don't want to find and then try to climb stumps in the dark to get out of bed to take a leak, and the paint job looks like Walt Disney threw up....but what the hell do I know, it's their dime.

http://www.monolithic.org/homes/featured-homes/xanadu-of-sedona-continues-attracting-attention/photos
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:58:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 1_BIG_BUNKER:

Dave, here's a few pictures of it if you haven't seen the inside before. It's a little too hippy-ish for me the way it's set up now. I mean I don't want to find and then try to climb stumps in the dark to get out of bed to take a leak, and the paint job looks like Walt Disney threw up....but what the hell do I know, it's their dime.

http://www.monolithic.org/homes/featured-homes/xanadu-of-sedona-continues-attracting-attention/photos
View All Quotes

Yeah, that's pretty darn creepy!LOL

1BB:  Howdy man!  How are you doing?  I hope everything has been well!  What have you been up to?  It's good to see you post, and to know you're still kicking!

Sitrep?  You've been missed around here!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

http://cdn.monolithic.org/vault/img/2013/03/22/514c (0.0428 °C = 32.1 °F)9fb5c29e06fd1a00003a/large_dl-3602.png

Oh, yeah, I definitely wouldn't decorate it the way they did, and don't like a lot of what they did, but I really like the idea of a courtyard like that.  I've been thinking about having a courtyard for a long, long time.  Until I saw this thread, it was always a ranch style courtyard in my head, but now it's the Sedona Monolithic courtyard that I imagine.

In my mind it allows every major part of the house to have access to the "backyard" (because the backyard is actually a courtyard).  Until I heard about the dust devil problem, I always envisioned a completely enclosed courtyard, which would allow my indoor cats to go outdoors, be easier to defend if zombies attack, and serve in the exact manner as a traditional backyard would.  On nice days, with all the doors open, walking from one room to another could actually involve walking outside.  That's awesome.  Now that I've seen the need for a gate, I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate that into my vision.  

Monolithic always brags about how strong their domes are, so I asked them about the possibility of flattening off the top of a dome to create a balcony-like deck.  They said flattening the top robs strength from the dome very quickly and recommended building a wood or concrete deck around the top of the dome instead, so that's another aspect of my little fortress to imagine.  I think if I do a deck on top of a dome or domes, I want a long ramp inside the courtyard to access the deck.  I'm hoping to make it strong enough to be able to put a hot tub up there.  There are obvious defensive advantages, too, if done right.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 12:24:31 AM EDT
[#21]
I solemnly swear that I will never buy a conventional house and will rent until I can build a monolithic dome.

Hopefully sooner rather than later! Realistically, probably 2-3 years away.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Has anyone ever had a problem with water around the foundations? Most structures have either eves or gutters and downspouts to try and get water away from the foundations, but with these domes the water is free to run to the base. Does that tend to cause any kind of problem?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:18:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By DH2:

Has anyone ever had a problem with water around the foundations? Most structures have either eves or gutters and downspouts to try and get water away from the foundations, but with these domes the water is free to run to the base. Does that tend to cause any kind of problem?
View Quote
My understanding in at least areas with frost they spray foam at something like a 45* angle down to prevent frost heaving. I would assume that this would work the water down and a few feet away from the structure.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:33:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BillofRights] [#24]
View Quote
That is a good observation.   Need to plan the drainage carefully.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#25]
The costs of my two favorite constructions (domes and rammed earth) has been steadily leading me down the road to an arched cabin.

Good to see 1BB back though!
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 6:35:16 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

I've never built one but I would say some sort of french drain around the perimeter. When we build wood basements the back-fill and under the concrete is all pea-stone to funnel the water away. I would imagine the same principle would hold for the dome.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:58:40 AM EDT
[#27]
This is a very interesting thread.

What is the density of the polyurethane foam and the shotcrete that is used in the construction of these domes?

I'm thinking about using one of these to build a recording studio inside. The outer multiple layers would make a good initial layer of mass if the density is high enough and the foam/shotcrete layers are airtight as a unified layer.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:09:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By CrazyWhiteGuy:
The costs of my two favorite constructions (domes and rammed earth) has been steadily leading me down the road to an arched cabin.

View Quote

What is an arched cabin? I'm going to have to research this one.  I'm looking at a dome of some sort on my property, but haven't decided anything for sure.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By Macumazahn:
What is an arched cabin? I'm going to have to research this one.  I'm looking at a dome of some sort on my property, but haven't decided anything for sure.
View All Quotes

Google shows this. http://archedcabins.com/

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:08:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CrazyWhiteGuy] [#30]
Originally Posted By E-Mag:
View All Quotes

Yes. I got to talk through one if the one story + loft ones and came away very impressed in the price/versatility/durability mix. Our plan is to build a big one as the house, and a smaller one as an in law/guest suite cabin, possibly a little one for a kennel to provide a warm place for the big dags in the winter
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 7:44:36 AM EDT
[#31]
I have another question.

View Quote

I don't see why you couldn't have a basement in the center if you really wanted one.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying dig a hole, pour a floor, build a brick wall to grade, then build the domes normally at that point. So you'd have floors at grade but in the center it would be like an in ground pool??

What I'm 99% sure you'd have to do though, is to tie in that basement floor with the domes on the surface or at grade.

What I would do is pour the floor like a dome is going to be attached to it with rebar coming out to tie into the domes steel structure, then build that brick wall, spray it with foam, hang rebar in the basement so it comes up and ties into the middle dome.

It must tie to together to keep it as strong as possible.

Now that hole is insulated and water proof as well.

As far as the water around the foundation, I've never heard anyone complain, but we do spray foam about a foot further than what ever the frost line is. It really doesn't matter if you go down, or out away from the footing, as long as the frost can not drive the distance to the footing.

Frost driving under the footing of any building is bad news.

Think of frost drive as a woman driver, and if you don't believe me, just look at Bruce Jenner, he becomes a woman and the first thing he does is have a car accident.

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:31:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Holy shit. I was looking for a wall poster of the three wolves howling at the moon in that hippy house.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#33]
1BB, very impressive.

Are these able to be built in southeast Georgia, or is the land too marshy to support the weight?
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 11:35:28 PM EDT
[#34]

I don't see why you couldn't have a basement in the center if you really wanted one.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying dig a hole, pour a floor, build a brick wall to grade, then build the domes normally at that point. So you'd have floors at grade but in the center it would be like an in ground pool??

What I'm 99% sure you'd have to do though, is to tie in that basement floor with the domes on the surface or at grade.

What I would do is pour the floor like a dome is going to be attached to it with rebar coming out to tie into the domes steel structure, then build that brick wall, spray it with foam, hang rebar in the basement so it comes up and ties into the middle dome.

View All Quotes
I have another question.

Maybe it's already been mentioned, but wouldn't an additional connected dome be easier/cheaper/stronger than messing around with a basement?
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 11:43:37 PM EDT
[#35]

Maybe it's already been mentioned, but wouldn't an additional connected dome be easier/cheaper/stronger than messing around with a basement?
View All Quotes

I have another question.

Some places you dont have all the room to spread out

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 4:05:53 PM EDT
[#36]
I am still working towards the dome dream ... Every time I look at zillow and consider houses I could buy, I think "I'd rather just build the dome ... so superior".

Time / Location are primary variables ... TBD.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#37]

still alive
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#38]
I still want to have a garage built but no one here seems to do these in my area
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:10:09 AM EDT
[#39]
I still want to have a garage built but no one here seems to do these in my area
View Quote

I think you can do it yourself if you have a shotcrete sprayer.  Foundation first, then form, set up rebar and spray away.  If you don't insulate it, you've got an ecoshell (cheaper version that can git cold).
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:16:50 AM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By 4v50:

I think you can do it yourself if you have a shotcrete sprayer.  Foundation first, then form, set up rebar and spray away.  If you don't insulate it, you've got an ecoshell (cheaper version that can git cold).
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 4v50:

yea years ago I watched the videos. It seems a bit more than I want to take on right now

Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:05:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Bump to keep this one from going to archives.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:27:38 AM EDT
[#42]
1BB, do you know anything about the monolithic cabins they sell?

I was considering putting one on some land down near Houston, but I'm curious if they are just as bad as a mobile home as far as safety.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 7:20:27 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Where did you look for contractors?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:10:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaTrueDave] [#44]
Here's a one pager that appeared in Popular Science:

Full article here:  http://www.monolithic.org/in-the-media/dome-homes-featured-in-popular-science
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 1:18:38 PM EDT
[#45]
A friend of mine had an in ground house built....it had 4 feet of earth on it's roof with a south facing front that was double glazed windows.   The architect figured out how to get the sun to come within 3' of the back wall of the house in winter for passive solar heat, and only about 6' of the front window in the summer to reduce heat.  He had a giant propane tank that got filled once in late fall, and had the house plumbed for propane lanterns on all the walls if use of them was desired...just like Coleman lanterns with silk mantles.  He also had solar power, a battery bank, and satellite dish for TV and computer.

The house was surrounded on three sides by either national forest, or state forest land.  He only owned 80 acres IIRC.

There was a natural spring that ran through a heavily insulated cold room in the house, sort of like a root cellar and on each side of the room there was a 6" deep, 3' wide, '6 long pool of the cold spring water to keep temperature in the room around 40 degrees or so.

He had a 1200 yard range if he went to the bench rest he built on the top of the house.  

It was truly a self contained hideaway, but obviously the solar panels and satellite dish wouldn't survive high winds.  His house was at the 5700 foot level in the mountains in central/eastern Oregon.  Eventually his wife went sort of nutty, and they split up.  He kept the hideaway as an elk hunting lodge before selling it after a few years.  I spent many great times up at that place.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#46]
That cold room sounds amazing.  No problems with condensation or erosion?  

And I just saw that the Monolithic Domes open house is October 14th:   Monolithic Domes Open House!
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:02:25 AM EDT
[#47]
And I just saw that the Monolithic Domes open house is October 14th:   Monolithic Domes Open House!
View Quote
I may try to get down there for that. If I can find someone to cover the tech rehearsal I have that weekend.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:05:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Tag so I don't lose this wealth of knowledge!

Does anyone have a current email for 1_Big_Bunker? Please IM me!

I'd like to discuss a more 'free-form' style dome, not perfectly round, and set partially into a hillside. I imagine it would be possible, and if anyone has any ideas, please share.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:41:06 PM EDT
[#49]
That cold room sounds amazing.  No problems with condensation or erosion?  

View Quote
Ah, that is the place right along 35 that you can see from the highway looks like.  Will have to check this out.  Always wanted a "6 pack" of connected domes...
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 3:15:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By 0100010:

Ah, that is the place right along 35 that you can see from the highway looks like.  Will have to check this out.  Always wanted a "6 pack" of connected domes...
View Quote
Yep, if you scroll up, you'll see that I want a ring of connected domes.  Maybe more than 6!

I'll be dragging the new girlfriend to the open house next week.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top