BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 72
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:52:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 3:22:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Good to know the innards of those cameras didn't turn belly up with a little moisture.

I would have bet wrong on that.

You know I have an awesome kayaking river next to my house?
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 3:44:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 4:33:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Will this thread dissappear when it hits 100 pages?  Can the mods extend the thread? This might be the best/most interesting thread on ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 5:12:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:01:11 AM EDT
[#6]
subscribed
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By genesis:

subscribed
View Quote
FYI, you no longer need to post to subscribe to a thread.  Just hit the SUBSCRIBE button at the top or bottom of the page and it will show up in your subscriptions list.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By WS6_Keith:

FYI, you no longer need to post to subscribe to a thread.  Just hit the SUBSCRIBE button at the top or bottom of the page and it will show up in your subscriptions list.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

subscribed

I usually do it just as compliment to the OP, letting him know I'm here.

BTW, great thread!
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:06:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By bcauz3y:

BTW, great thread!
View All Quotes
subscribed

BTW, great thread!

Do non team members see the subscribe butto?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:09:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By LTCetme:
View All Quotes

subscribed

BTW, great thread!

No sir. They also can't sub even if they post.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:46:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Has anyone figured out how to use the HIKVISION iVMS-4200 software?

I have a wireless mini-dome (DS-2CD2532F-IWS) up and running, but I can't figure out how to get it to record to the installed SD card.  It recognized it and formatted it, but I can't find the option to switch to it for recording video.  It keeps recording to my C:\ drive.

Also, the remote playback tab isn't finding any of the recorded video, and none of my installed video players recognize the video format file on the C:\ drive.

Is this why people are just using Blue Iris, even with one camera?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:41:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Can anyone recommend a good NVR?  

Looks like I'll buy a few Hikvision cameras (13 of them.  9 outside, 4 inside). So I'll need at least a 16 channel POE NVR.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:59:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By JDC_VA_USMC:

I have a wireless mini-dome (DS-2CD2532F-IWS) up and running, but I can't figure out how to get it to record to the installed SD card.  It recognized it and formatted it, but I can't find the option to switch to it for recording video.  It keeps recording to my C:\ drive.

Also, the remote playback tab isn't finding any of the recorded video, and none of my installed video players recognize the video format file on the C:\ drive.

View Quote

I just started playing with mine. Considering it came "free" with the camera it appears to be quality although I have only played with the most basic portions. My goal is to have several cameras recording to a standalone NAS instead of an actual tower. Mostly for power consumption reasons (100w vs 20w or so). Once I get it working I will be sure to post here. Our camera system is an ongoing project that I am balancing between a full time job, wife, and two little girls so needless to say these things tent to stretch out a long time.  I've got several Hikvision wired cameras up in my office on POE and so far I am blown away by how affordable the cameras are given the build quality. Sure they are no Axis or Panasonic but they are solid cameras with a great picture! Impressed so far!
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Requiem:
Can anyone recommend a good NVR?  

Looks like I'll buy a few Hikvision cameras (13 of them.  9 outside, 4 inside). So I'll need at least a 16 channel POE NVR.

View Quote

Look at the Hikvision NVR, it' features a built in POE switch. I install the Hikvision product line for my customers.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

Have you tried connecting directly to the camera, and conduct a playback?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:49:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Originally Posted By SaltyDog:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SaltyDog:

Yes, still couldn't find a way to set the recording location to the local SD drive, and still couldn't find the playback files despite the fact they're on the default location on the C drive.

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks TGM and everyone else for the awesome reviews.

I own a low voltage company but we dont do much in the CCTV/security/fire alarm/access realm since its so oversaturated by other contractors.

We have done a few installs though and the cameras are always grossly expensive and all are analog.

I recently built a house and was looking for a nice setup with roughly 4 outdoor and 4 indoor POE 3mp cameras.

Seems Nelly's and Hikvision are the ticket.  

Greatly appreciated and well times since I almost dropped $300+ on some Luxon cameras with half the MP from one of our wholesale houses.

Just a few basic questions for you since Im new to all of it.

#1 when mounting to soffit(metal) do you put a backer(dome or bullet)
#2 any special provisions for extreme cold exterior applications?  We used heated housings at my shop but for my home those are out.  -20 isnt uncommon here.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 2:23:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#19]
Some of the Axis cams we use 'hang up' when it get's below abt 20F and it can take 5 minutes to go from a black screen or no PTZ motion, to a working camera.

I have used them to below zero however.

I don't know why the cams hang up, and in the outside domes for the PTZ, I disconnect the heaters because they run on solar and I often have marginal harvested juice anyway. [Although 7000+ watts harvested per good sunny day is typical]

So I would definitely use the heaters if you are running grid power and temps go to below zero.

Once the Axis cams are up and running, they work OK. I have to shut them down remotely for energy saving reasons when I'm not in t the mtn during periods of cloudiness.

I've considered putting the heaters in my domes on various separate network controlled power sources to operate the fans and heaters inside the domes. It would be very easy to do and a board like this could be used to control them over the LAN.

8 IP controlled relays $59

ETA, maybe my cams won't start due to a low ESR capacitor in a switching PS that typically fails in them, [and might be temperature sensitive] but I haven't changed them out   -yet. I have the caps, in surface mount form, to change them, now it's a matter of the icy area I'd have to move the lift to and the danger of it sliding while high in the air.

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 2:55:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 3:15:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:
That IP-controlled relay is a very interesting device...  Hmm....
View Quote

There are much easier ones to implement and I use them every day almost...

Web Switch

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 4:07:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LTCetme] [#23]
So on the opposite side of the spectrum I have a question.  As part of my job I manage several remote radio equipment sites/towers.  I will have some excess bandwidth soon after a backhaul upgrade and I'd like to add some internal and external cameras.  The stationary internal and external cameras are relatively   easy,  I'll probably use axis or panasonic cameras.  I would also like to put a camera up on each  tower that will be PTZ capable.  We would control them from our operations center to observe the site or weather approaching.  The tower camera is going to have to be industrial grade.  It can get to - 20 or lower here and the wind up there can get insane (I would estimate gusts could approach 70mph at times). Falling chunks of ice are also a concern so I would probably install a steel ice guard above the camera.  Yet another concern is Ice buildup on joints. They will be installed by a professional climbing crew which in itself is expensive so I would rather spend more money upfront on it and not have to troubleshoot it all the time with $500/hr tower crews. I would assume heated camera,  heated actuators,  and overbuilt everything.  Where would I start a hunt like this? Any advice?
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 4:48:22 PM EDT
[#24]
So on the opposite side of the spectrum I have a question.  As part of my job I manage several remote radio equipment sites/towers.  I will have some excess bandwidth soon after a backhaul upgrade and I'd like to add some internal and external cameras.  The stationary internal and external cameras are relatively   easy,  I'll probably use axis or panasonic cameras.  I would also like to put a camera up on each  tower that will be PTZ capable.  We would control them from our operations center to observe the site or weather approaching.  The tower camera is going to have to be industrial grade.  It can get to - 20 or lower here and the wind up there can get insane (I would estimate gusts could approach 70mph at times). Falling chunks of ice are also a concern so I would probably install a steel ice guard above the camera.  Yet another concern is Ice buildup on joints. They will be installed by a professional climbing crew which in itself is expensive so I would rather spend more money upfront on it and not have to troubleshoot it all the time with $500/hr tower crews. I would assume heated camera,  heated actuators,  and overbuilt everything.  Where would I start a hunt like this? Any advice?
View Quote

Ain't gonna be inexpensive, but you can stop looking here.

There are a variety of these with different prices and specs.

These will do incredible zoom with high resolution, don't know of anything better.

Ultimate

Datasheet

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By EXPY37:

These will do incredible zoom with high resolution, don't know of anything better.

Ultimate

Datasheet

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EXPY37:

Ultimate

Datasheet

Thanks!  It's going to be a while before I get them for the project but I wanted to start research now.  I like the idea of an enclosed system like that.  I'm going to need to look into the distance you can use high POE  at.  I might be too high to use it.  I'm guessing I'm sending up DC separately.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 8:24:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#26]
Article discussing image quality, image sensors, and camera properties by Axis.

Axis promoting but still useful.

Cam discussion
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 3:05:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Pulled the trigger on a Hikvision NVR with 2tb HD and 8 of their dome cams.

Was able to get them for a decent price from one of my distributors. Ill update as the install goes
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 12:30:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 12:31:28 AM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By stretch415:

Was able to get them for a decent price from one of my distributors. Ill update as the install goes
View Quote

Please do!

What model NVR did you get?

I have been looking at the Hik NVR's since I want to stick with the same Mfr. equipment for compatibility and have already started buying their domes.  Only have a DS-2CD2132 @2.8mm now to get my feet wet but plan on about 4 domes total.  I decided to go the NVR route so as not to load up the home network unless I want to view from the computer, tablet or whatever.

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Cobalt135:

Please do!

I have been looking at the Hik NVR's since I want to stick with the same Mfr. equipment for compatibility and have already started buying their domes.  Only have a DS-2CD2132 @2.8mm now to get my feet wet but plan on about 4 domes total.  I decided to go the NVR route so as not to load up the home network unless I want to view from the computer, tablet or whatever.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cobalt135:
Originally Posted By stretch415:

Please do!

I got the HX-7608N8P2T which is their 8 channel POE NVR with 2TB HD.  

Came from the recommendation of my ADI sales rep so we will see.

I went will HX-7608N8P2T 4mm fixed domes for the majority and 2 2.8mm models(for the garage and driveway)

I didnt see alot of low profile options for interior cams.  

Any recommendations for a good aesthetically pleasing interior cam?  I saw the low profile offset one you installed a few pages back.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:50:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:24:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Quigley] [#33]
nevermind, found it
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:02:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:12:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By stretch415:...I went will HX-7608N8P2T 4mm fixed domes for the majority...
View Quote

Could you double-check the camera model? That number is a DVR rather than a camera. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:13:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Surveillance video finally released from the Dellwood Market in Ferguson.  

Ugly... I count at least 40 looters in the initial rush.  This video isn't bad quality, but a shallower angle might have allowed some better face shots.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv6jhXQARz8#t=57
View Quote

Hope none of those misunderstood youngsters gets hurt, think of the liability for the store owner...

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:33:21 AM EDT
[#37]
is it possible to find or power IR illuminators with POE?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:29:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#39]
One thing I've encountered (to be honest, one of our employees pointed out to me), is that with the DVR's we've been using, they will only record up to WD1 max with a normal camera. Meaning only 480 vertical lines recorded; even from a camera that's putting out 1024 vertical lines.

There are higher, 1080P cameras that will run on the same cable, and the auto-sensing on the dvr will let it record up to 720. But normal cameras - whether 600, 700, or 1,000TVL - will evidently only record up to 480.

Anybody have any thoughts or workarounds?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:16:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Was given a link for this thread. Looks like you guys can probably help me.

So having some marital issues, and worried about my stuff. Ive already gotten the big "no" about changing locks by the lawyer. I need a cheaper Wifi camera that is activated by motion and will send me a text or something when there is movement so I can see if she is in the house taking crap. Lately I've had friends going over there every once in awhile during the day. Any recs, as there are 500 cameras on Amazon. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 7:07:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MattR] [#43]

For a temporary installation/use like that, I'd say a couple of Foscams will do what you want... and for pretty cheap too.  You will probably be able to get three of them on a single wifi access-point before you run out of bandwidth.  They will email you if something happens... and while I don't usually recommend Video Motion Detection for alerts, it CAN be useful indoors, were the scenes don't change that much.  

Here toy go... $75 each.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MattR:

So having some marital issues, and worried about my stuff. Ive already gotten the big "no" about changing locks by the lawyer. I need a cheaper Wifi camera that is activated by motion and will send me a text or something when there is movement so I can see if she is in the house taking crap. Lately I've had friends going over there every once in awhile during the day. Any recs, as there are 500 cameras on Amazon. Thanks!

For a temporary installation/use like that, I'd say a couple of Foscams will do what you want... and for pretty cheap too.  You will probably be able to get three of them on a single wifi access-point before you run out of bandwidth.  They will email you if something happens... and while I don't usually recommend Video Motion Detection for alerts, it CAN be useful indoors, were the scenes don't change that much.  

Here toy go... $75 each.

Just ordered it. Thanks!

EDIT: got it in and set up. It works great and does everything I need it to. Thanks for the rec.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:52:07 PM EDT
[#44]

Here toy go... $75 each.
View All Quotes

Here toy go... $75 each.

I like those alot.

Put on top of garage opener to watch who digs in freezers
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:14:03 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By louisianarebel:

Here toy go... $75 each.

I like those alot.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/louisianarebel14/20150212_171550_zpsxpkjgrng.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/louisianarebel14/20150210_183042_zpspbhycfuw.jpg

You know.... it'd be pretty badass to have a setup like that, with a little POE adapter setup and feeding to your laptop in a hotel room. have the feed upload to the cloud on a motion trigger.

Hrm.... I might have to build a little kit.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:47:22 AM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

You know.... it'd be pretty badass to have a setup like that, with a little POE adapter setup and feeding to your laptop in a hotel room. have the feed upload to the cloud on a motion trigger.  

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/Agreement/yesjacknicholson_zpsan3js3ug.gif

The trick will be in-lining a 12.95 W source so even with cut power, the camera and laptop will continue to operate long enough to finish the upload.

Sounds like a challenge.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By louisianarebel:

Here toy go... $75 each.

I like those alot.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/louisianarebel14/20150212_171550_zpsxpkjgrng.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/louisianarebel14/20150210_183042_zpspbhycfuw.jpg

I have it wireless, just plugged in above the garage opener at my moms. Recording to the sd card on motion.  All you need is powahh
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 12:17:02 PM EDT
[#49]
SSD NAS w/POE?? I'm using a two disk NAS for my surveillance recordings but, I don't have a good hiding place for it. I have a POE switch in an enclosure with a screw-on cover. I was thinking I could put a small ssd nas in with the switch and use it as a back-up but, I can't find anything powered by POE. Is there such a beast?
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 12:30:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 72
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top