Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 72
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:40:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a question.

I have a Hikvision 7716NI-SP/16 set up in a walk-in closet with all the wires coming down from the attic through the wall.

Is it possible to back this up simultaneously to a separate hard drive(in a safer location)?

Thanks, Tom
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:16:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:04:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll have to check,  not sure if it came with a manual. So I'm looking for an  "archive " option /function?

Tom
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:11:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm sure the answers are somewhere in this thread but I'll ask again, I have this system:
http://www.costco.com/Swann-16-Channel-HD-IP-NVR-with-3TB-HDD%2c-8-3MP-Cameras-with-115'-Night-Vision.product.100144944.html

I have the camera POE cords routed to the NVR in a secure location in my home however that location is not where our home router is located.  What options do I have to connect this NVR to the home router wirelessly?  Or will I need to run an Ethernet cable from the NVR to the home router?  If so, what is the longest run I can make without signal degradation?  I may need 200' or more cable to get there.  (And the job is going to suck).
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:39:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bhart89:
I'm sure the answers are somewhere in this thread but I'll ask again, I have this system:
http://www.costco.com/Swann-16-Channel-HD-IP-NVR-with-3TB-HDD%2c-8-3MP-Cameras-with-115'-Night-Vision.product.100144944.html

I have the camera POE cords routed to the NVR in a secure location in my home however that location is not where our home router is located.  What options do I have to connect this NVR to the home router wirelessly?  Or will I need to run an Ethernet cable from the NVR to the home router?  If so, what is the longest run I can make without signal degradation?  I may need 200' or more cable to get there.  (And the job is going to suck).
View Quote

300' for ethernet cable.  I'd suck it up and just go wired you will have a never ending string of problems If you go wireless.  I bet you actually spend less overall time pulling cable vs the screwing with wireless over the years after which you will pull wire anyway.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:45:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:39:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Wired it is. Thanks for the responses. Is Cat6 what I want?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:14:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:

Wired is always better that wireless.

You should have 100 meters with regular ethernet.  Then again, I have a run of 150 feet of cable with which I'm currently wresting.  Doesn't work, and I can't figure out why.

Happens sometimes.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bhart89:

Wired is always better that wireless.

You should have 100 meters with regular ethernet.  Then again, I have a run of 150 feet of cable with which I'm currently wresting.  Doesn't work, and I can't figure out why.

Happens sometimes.  

Do you have a 4 pair tester? Might have an open pair or cross.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 12:10:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DallasLooterShooter:

Ok, thank you for the quick replies.  Friend of mine turned me onto Alibi and says he's had good luck with them.  Perhaps he's overpaying for what he's getting in terms of performance/capability.

View All Quotes
TheGrayMan, your thoughts on this camera?

Alibi 3.0MP Dome

Umm...

Totally no-brand.  For that kind of money, you could get a dahua or hikvision camera.

Is price the only difference between the Alibi, Dahua, and Hikvision?  Performance wise, would they all be similar (assuming they all have similar specifications)?

I've never had any experience with the Alibi.  I can tell you the Dahua and Hiks are quality cameras... can't speak to the other.

Ok, thank you for the quick replies.  Friend of mine turned me onto Alibi and says he's had good luck with them.  Perhaps he's overpaying for what he's getting in terms of performance/capability.

FWIW, I confirmed that Alibi is just rebranded Hikvision.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 9:52:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SparticleBrane] [#11]
I was just thinking about this thread the other day.

Right now I work for a medium-sized private university, and they take the safety of security of their students very seriously (as they should).  I was recently told by some of our server & network guys that our campus has ~900+/- IP cameras, with more on the way for a few new buildings that are under construction right now.  They're not the cheap no-name stuff, either.  I see lots of tiny Axis dome cameras.  Lots of exterior cameras although they're 30+ft in the air so I'm not sure of manufacturers.  Knowing where I work, they didn't skimp on anything.

The new buildings are being built with networking and security cameras in mind; my boss went to a meeting the other day where they were planning out camera locations in one of the new buildings.  Cool stuff.

We have a pretty robust network infrastructure and some serious NVRs in our data center.  I can't even begin to imagine the necessary bandwidth and storage requirements to have those cameras running all the time; I'm pretty sure it's in the hundreds of terabytes range.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:47:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 8:16:33 AM EDT
[#13]
900 cameras?

That's well above my level.  
View Quote

900+ cameras says "forensics" more than "safety and security".
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By dmnoid77:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dmnoid77:
900 cameras?

That's well above my level.  

We've got a pretty large security force too.

But yes not all those cameras can be monitored all the time.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 2:20:37 AM EDT
[#16]
I tried to search this thread first, honest.

My question is Outdoor camera ambient temperatures.  Specifically HIGH temperatures.

We are headed in to a week of 115f temps, and I need to add some outdoor cameras on a building that has no shade.  

I see cameras with a 50c max temperature.  122f.  I think they will go past that in the sun @ 115f.

Cameras will be wired, no PTZ needed - simple stuff.  New system.

Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Lem:

My question is Outdoor camera ambient temperatures.  Specifically HIGH temperatures.

We are headed in to a week of 115f temps, and I need to add some outdoor cameras on a building that has no shade.  

I see cameras with a 50c max temperature.  122f.  I think they will go past that in the sun @ 115f.

Any recommendations?
View Quote

Move somewhere colder.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 9:00:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#19]
all right I'm gonna be that guy and just ask, go easy on my my google fu is weak at this.

My father has a separate man cave in the back yard and a dual monitor PC setup. He wants a security camera to monitor the front of the house when my mom is gone, etc. I only have limited experience with some old analog bullet cameras. I was thinking for his use an IP camera would be the way to go, he doesn't care so much about recording mostly monitoring. EASY setup and decent day time picture is main focus. under $100 is my goal. Plan to get something prob from amazon for his B-day at the end of this month. Any recommendations? TIA.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I took the plunge today and ordered a system from Nelly's. The 8 channel 4mp h-series package. I've been emailing back and forth with Sean for a week or so about different options and I'm super impressed with thier costumer service so far.

Looking forward to getting everything and getting it set up. Thanks to all here for the good info!
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:01:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Anybody have any issues with choppy playback on a hikvision NVR.  I contacted Nelly's and they told me to install the latest firmware, which helped but didn't fix it completely.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:13:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#23]
The Hikvision NVRs I've had so far are solid.  No playback issues.
View Quote

It's only my compact dome.  The regular domes are fine.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:43:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:29:48 AM EDT
[#25]

The 4mp mini-domes?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By camarojsmith:
The Hikvision NVRs I've had so far are solid.  No playback issues.

It's only my compact dome.  The regular domes are fine.

The 4mp mini-domes?

Hikvision DS-2CD2532F-IS Compact Weatherproof Vandal Dome 3MP
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 12:06:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#27]

Now that I think about it, I don't have any of those mini-domes on a Hikvision NVR.  They're all the standard domes, mid-size domes, or bullets.   Probably can't help on this one.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By camarojsmith:

Hikvision DS-2CD2532F-IS Compact Weatherproof Vandal Dome 3MP

Now that I think about it, I don't have any of those mini-domes on a Hikvision NVR.  They're all the standard domes, mid-size domes, or bullets.   Probably can't help on this one.  

No worries.  I have ticket in to Nelly's.  I'll report back with what they say.  

I also lost my email notifications after I updated the firmware.  I'm not sure what that's about.  All the settings seem right.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:58:11 PM EDT
[#28]

With that DVR , you should be able to put your cameras on the LAN, rather than on the POE switch built into the NVR.  If you put them on the built-in switch, they end up on their own subnet, which you cannot reach from the rest of the LAN without going through the DVR.

ETA:  this requires you to power the camera with either 12VDC, or with a separate POE switch.  PoE cameras attached directly to the DVR end up on their own subnet, which isn't accessible from the LAN.  Such cameras are only accessible through the DVR interface itself.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JoshB7:
Hoping someone can assist with this situation.

Six H Series Cameras
H Series 7608 NVR

I am attempting to view the cameras remotely through IPCamViewer but when I input the IP address of the NVR - I am only able to see the camera plugged into Port 1. Any idea on how to view the other five? So far the Hikvision iPad app has provided better results.

Thanks!

With that DVR , you should be able to put your cameras on the LAN, rather than on the POE switch built into the NVR.  If you put them on the built-in switch, they end up on their own subnet, which you cannot reach from the rest of the LAN without going through the DVR.

ETA:  this requires you to power the camera with either 12VDC, or with a separate POE switch.  PoE cameras attached directly to the DVR end up on their own subnet, which isn't accessible from the LAN.  Such cameras are only accessible through the DVR interface itself.

So are you saying that if you have the cameras plugged directly into the dvr, you won't be able to remotely access them from your cell phone or other device?
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 2:47:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Can anyone recommend a 3MP-5MP Bullet cam with wireless. It will be out in the weather, Hail, Snow, Ice, Wind and Colorado winter cold which is mild I hear compared to Chicago or such.

This would be the only wireless cam - It would be on a power pole which has a 120V line feeding motion activated floods, but there is no practical way to get wired Ethernet to it. All other cameras will be hard wired Ethernet, some will be POE.

Wanting Hi-rez cause this is like a driveway cam shooting straight down the approach road so as to get good stills of any vehicles which come up the private drive, and anyone exiting those vehicles.

Some houses down the road have been hit by thieves 3x in the last 8 months.

I got broken into 3-4 years back.

I need to fill in the gaps I know exist with what is in place now. Profile shots can't see plate numbers.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 6:56:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 11:26:50 AM EDT
[#31]

No... You can still access them, but ONLY by accessing the DVR they're plugged into... And ONLY with the DVR's client software (which does have a mobile version).

If you have them on the LAN rather than connected to the DVR's built in switch, it opens up the option of using other software (like IP Cam Viewer) to access them if you don't like the DVR's client software.   This route still enables access through the DVR if you like, it just opens up other software/networking options.

Clear as mud?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AR_DIESEL:

Six H Series Cameras
H Series 7608 NVR

I am attempting to view the cameras remotely through IPCamViewer but when I input the IP address of the NVR - I am only able to see the camera plugged into Port 1. Any idea on how to view the other five? So far the Hikvision iPad app has provided better results.

Thanks!

So are you saying that if you have the cameras plugged directly into the dvr, you won't be able to remotely access them from your cell phone or other device?

No... You can still access them, but ONLY by accessing the DVR they're plugged into... And ONLY with the DVR's client software (which does have a mobile version).

If you have them on the LAN rather than connected to the DVR's built in switch, it opens up the option of using other software (like IP Cam Viewer) to access them if you don't like the DVR's client software.   This route still enables access through the DVR if you like, it just opens up other software/networking options.

Clear as mud?

Got it thanks!

Another unrelated question. What light source will give you the best clarity at night? IR or incandescent? Assuming both options would be producing the proper amount of light and placed in proper locations. I don't care which one I go with, I just want the best night time performance possible. I'll be using the h series 204 bullets and 214 domes. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 1:16:20 PM EDT
[#32]
what is the function of the motorized lenses on a hikvision camera? is it purely focus or does it zoom too?
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 1:36:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dlm1984] [#33]

Got it thanks!

Another unrelated question. What light source will give you the best clarity at night? IR or incandescent? Assuming both options would be producing the proper amount of light and placed in proper locations. I don't care which one I go with, I just want the best night time performance possible. I'll be using the h series 204 bullets and 214 domes. Thanks!
View All Quotes
SNIP

Got it thanks!

If you have enough incandescent light, you'll be able to get color images from your cameras, which can be beneficial.  If you want the additional deterrent that visible light offers, go for that.

However, the B&W images from more recent cameras are pretty good, and adding additional IR light can help the outer edges that aren't lit by onboard IR and areas that are further away.  An observant person will be likely to notice the slight red signature of the emitters, or someone who's equipped with nightvision, but it's what I prefer on my small suburban property.

ETA: I have the one of the Hikvsion 3MP cameras that's similar to the 2X4 from Nelly's.  That one has a very nice IR spread - it's definitely nicer than the 203 style camera I have.  They're fine, but some additional IR wouldn't hurt.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 2:34:17 PM EDT
[#34]

Clear as mud?
View All Quotes

Six H Series Cameras
H Series 7608 NVR

Thanks!

Clear as mud?

Another vote for IP Cam Viewer  

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By coldair:
what is the function of the motorized lenses on a hikvision camera? is it purely focus or does it zoom too?
View Quote

which model are you referring too?
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By dlm1984:

If you have enough incandescent light, you'll be able to get color images from your cameras, which can be beneficial.  If you want the additional deterrent that visible light offers, go for that.

However, the B&W images from more recent cameras are pretty good, and adding additional IR light can help the outer edges that aren't lit by onboard IR and areas that are further away.  An observant person will be likely to notice the slight red signature of the emitters, or someone who's equipped with nightvision, but it's what I prefer on my small suburban property.

ETA: I have the one of the Hikvsion 3MP cameras that's similar to the 2X4 from Nelly's.  That one has a very nice IR spread - it's definitely nicer than the 203 style camera I have.  They're fine, but some additional IR wouldn't hurt.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dlm1984:
SNIP

Got it thanks!

you dont even need night vision some phone cameras can see the ir emitters.  

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By 2tired2run:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:

Originally Posted By coldair:

NSC-274S-DMZ or DS-2CD2642FWD-IZS
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 6:57:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 11:20:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 11:45:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Lem:

Any recommendations?
View Quote

Same question.  Arizona.  Highest temps since 1995 last week.  117* on I-10 in Tucson.  And 10-20*F in the winter where I live, on the coldest nights.  So quite an extreme spread of temps.  Also, we are going into monsoon season.  Crazy heat followed by torrential downpours, 90+% humidity all the while.

Can dome cameras fog up in humidity?  Or are they gas purged like rifle scopes?

Thinking about Hikvision cameras (only because they are mentioned here so frequently and I am only just now starting to shop for cameras) under the eves of the house.  So technically they will have shade.  But is that enough?  Will the eves of the house trap the rising heat, and it will be super hot despite the shade?
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:41:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AR_DIESEL] [#42]
What is the little jack I need to be able to plug my IP camera into a laptop in order to see what view I will be getting and make adjustments before mounting. I can't seem to find it as I go back through the thread. Thanks

Found it. Page 25.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 5:00:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Looking at getting cameras.

What about this setup? Can I add more cameras?

Link Posted: 7/3/2016 5:48:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Why?
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 9:18:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DallasLooterShooter] [#46]
This weekend I ran LOOOONG HDMI and USB cables from my secure NVR location to my living room TV.  Put a wireless Logitech mouse on the USB extension cable and now I can log in and view my cameras from the comfort of my couch.  I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 9:46:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:
Why?
View Quote

Still need to run power to camera, just as easy to run a cat 5 cable that supplies power and data.

Image quality

Bandwidth
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 8:50:58 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm gonna pull a mild faux pas here I think.  I have days off coming next week, three to be exact, and want to get Blue Iris and whatever other free-to-try software I can find running with a single Hik camera to begin testing.  If I order today or tomorrow, the cam will be here in time.  So I have a couple of specific questions, that have possibly been answered in the 128 pages of this thread.  So, please forgive me.

RE: Hik indoor cams, these to be exact:

https://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2CD2432F-IW-Indoor-Camera-2-8mm/dp/B00JWCV9CU

Buddy of mine said he read Hik won't honor warranty if bought through Amazon.  But amazon is some $50+ cheaper than Nelly's, which isn't huge, but it gets me halfway to buying a second cam.  Two specific questions: has anyone had any trouble buying through amazon and getting Hik to honor warranty, and, is there an appreciable difference between 3MP and 4MP with this camera?  3MP model will be here in time for my days off, 4MP version likely will not (assuming ordered through amazon).

A couple of the sellers are specifically saying they are selling US version cams for firmware updates.  I am planning on installing four of these total for indoor use, just curious about the MP difference.  Storage space is no factor, and these will be wired, not wireless.  Main concern is facial identification should I ever need to present the footage to LE, so I am leaning towards 4MP, unless 3MP will be "good enough."

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 10:54:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 11:23:25 AM EDT
[#50]
I bought 5 Hikivison cameras from Amazon and the other 4 from B&H or Nelleys, after what I went through with 2 cameras from Amazon I will never buy cameras from them again.

I spent almost as much in shipping fees and over 5 months to get 2 stupid cameras replaced, one was DOA and the replacement failed in one month. to me the savings were not worth the costs
Page / 72
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top