Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 72
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 2:53:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Thealien:

Yes Power over Ethernet IS the cats ass! I don't have Ethernet where I need a camera so was looking into Ethernet over power!!??
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:
Thanks looking into those suggestions. Lots of mixed reviews on the Ethernet over power options.

PoE is the cats ass. It simplifies cabling and power management like you would not believe.

Yes Power over Ethernet IS the cats ass! I don't have Ethernet where I need a camera so was looking into Ethernet over power!!??

I've had good luck with Power Line networking, it works best when both adapters are on circuits on the same side of the breaker box.  I have one run to a switch in the living room that my kids run a Roku off of with no problems.  

I'm using these  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IBPLI48?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 3:02:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you!

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 3:42:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#4]

wtf
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:
Originally Posted By EXPY37:
Noticed Hikvision has hi res PTZ cameras. Like the DS-2DF5286-AEL

Looking to upgrade some of my Axis 213 cams in outdoor domes and was impressed with some demonstrations of the Hikvision on U-tube videos.

Saw this video where to buy Hikvision, since the vid says they require rebranding to sell in the US...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-VVXjScEJE

Any comments, where to buy, etc?

Here you go for $1100

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DS-2DF5286-AEL-HIKVISION-Original-English-Version-2MP-Ultra-low-Temperature-Network-Speed-Dome-30XOptical-Zoom/1931690445.html

wtf

He just asked where to buy from.  He didn't ask for a good deal.

Amazon was actually more expensive.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:09:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I've followed this thread since it's inception - and it's amazing to see the advances in technology we've seen in the past few years. Especially price wise!!

A good friend recommended the Hikvision cameras, and I was happy to see that they've gotten praise on this site.

Because of this, I'm looking to either buy (preferably) or build a security system for my parent's house. 6 cameras would be great, but an 8 channel system would be even better. Unfortunately, all of these cameras have to be domes, due to their HOA rules - which most "kits" don't offer.

Would you guys have some solid leads? I'm totally clueless on what to buy.

Also, I saw that Hikvision offered a 5mp dome camera, compared to their 3mp one. Is this a worthwhile investment, or does it just eat up bandwidth/HD space?

Thanks guys!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 6:27:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I received one of these today: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VHLR42I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Installed the software and there is no language option popping up. So everything is a bunch of question marks. I can't get past that point.

I have IP Camera Viewer installed, but where it says "Select Camera Brand", this camera is not listed. I am lost beyond this point.

On IP Camera Viewer it has a option "request to add new camera". How do I figure out the cameras IP address or domain name and port number?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Add it as an ONVIF camera, under "unknown brand"

You could just check your router to see what IP addresses your DHCP server has loaned out, and look for the device you don't recognize.  Alternatively, you could do a ping sweep in a Command Window, or wireshark it to see where the traffic is going (IP address-wise).

I sometimes use the latter method to see what kind of stuff the camera is sending/receiving, and whether login/pw credentials are sent as plaintext (It's bad security design, but that actually saved me one time where I had forgotten the password for the camera  )
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By tominjax:

I received one of these today: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VHLR42I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Installed the software and there is no language option popping up. So everything is a bunch of question marks. I can't get past that point.

I have IP Camera Viewer installed, but where it says "Select Camera Brand", this camera is not listed. I am lost beyond this point.

On IP Camera Viewer it has a option "request to add new camera". How do I figure out the cameras IP address or domain name and port number?

Add it as an ONVIF camera, under "unknown brand"

You could just check your router to see what IP addresses your DHCP server has loaned out, and look for the device you don't recognize.  Alternatively, you could do a ping sweep in a Command Window, or wireshark it to see where the traffic is going (IP address-wise).

I sometimes use the latter method to see what kind of stuff the camera is sending/receiving, and whether login/pw credentials are sent as plaintext (It's bad security design, but that actually saved me one time where I had forgotten the password for the camera  )

I'm not seeing "unknown brand". I'm new to this and don't have a clue as to what I am doing

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:43:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#10]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:10:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tominjax] [#11]

"Add camera"

"Ip camera, DVR, NVR"

Under type select "unknown brand" (it's the second choice on the list) in the top field, and "ONVIF" on the lower field

Then enter IP address, and login/pw

ETA:  that camera didn't come with a config or "IP utility?"  
View Quote

After I choose "add camera" the next screen gives me two options for type - IP Camera or Webcam

Next is camera settings where I choose brand and model. There is no "unknown brand" or "ONVIF" listed there.

It has a setup utility, but it does not prompt for choosing language, everything is in question marks. The instructions show a language prompt, but I have installed and uninstalled it twice with the same results. Have not heard from seller yet.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:19:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#12]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:38:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tominjax] [#13]

Are you on android?

ETA:  and are you sure you're using IP Cam Viewer?  Can you post a screenshot?

View Quote

Windows 7

The camera in the background is my old xbox camera.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:44:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:47:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Ah, I hate to tell you this, but I have NO idea what software you're using there.  The "IP Cam Viewer" that I use is strictly a mobile (eg.  iOS/Android) product... it doesn't run on a desktop PC.
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By tominjax:

Are you on android?

ETA:  and are you sure you're using IP Cam Viewer?  Can you post a screenshot?

Windows 7

http://i62.tinypic.com/290q22w.jpg

The camera in the background is my old xbox camera.

Ah, I hate to tell you this, but I have NO idea what software you're using there.  The "IP Cam Viewer" that I use is strictly a mobile (eg.  iOS/Android) product... it doesn't run on a desktop PC.

Well damn. I have a second desktop that I am trying to use as a security camera monitor. It works like a charm with my old Xbox camera, but I want to use this newer HD camera with night vision.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:59:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: packingXDs] [#16]
TGM and other knowledgeable folks, please provide me some insight. I just mounted and install the first (of hopefully many) IP cams. My issue, which I felt was coming, is that I am a bit clueless on exactly where to mount them to get the desired field of view. For this first camera, I intended it to cover where we park the cars; mounted on the eve of the roof. After punching the hole and running cable, I fired up my phone to check out the view. No way in hell I was going to get the FOV I was hoping for. I even tested indoors trying to get an idea. I compromised and just have it pointing at an exterior door. Which I also believe is going to be an issue since its pointed right at the flood light for the driveway.

Are there any calculators, formulas, hacks, to get a fairly accurate idea of the ideal mounting spot for the desired FOV?

ETA:

Trendnet IP311PI dome camera (rebranded hikivision IIRC).
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By packingXDs:
TGM and other knowledgeable folks, please provide me some insight. I just mounted and install the first (of hopefully many) IP cams. My issue, which I felt was coming, is that I am a bit clueless on exactly where to mount them to get the desired field of view. For this first camera, I intended it to cover where we park the cars; mounted on the eve of the roof. After punching the hole and running cable, I fired up my phone to check out the view. No way in hell I was going to get the FOV I was hoping for. I even tested indoors trying to get an idea. I compromised and just have it pointing at an exterior door. Which I also believe is going to be an issue since its pointed right at the flood light for the driveway.

Are there any calculators, formulas, hacks, to get a fairly accurate idea of the ideal mounting spot for the desired FOV?

ETA:

View Quote

I get on a ladder with laptop and camera with long ass cable hooked to camera.... Then watch the live feed and move it around.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:09:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:44:41 AM EDT
[#21]
So I need a few new cams. Have an analog system, no additional ir installed.

What is out there these days that doesn't totally suck, but not break the bank?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:12:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:40:52 AM EDT
[#23]

Anyway, back to the tree problem.

Here is what I was up against:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/M900%20Ubiquiti/Trees_zpsle3piqhc.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/M900%20Ubiquiti/Magnolia_zps6zupced7.jpg

Magnolias are dense trees... and on top of that, there was some sort of evergreen Oak right behind it.

Here is the box with the new bridge installed (held in place with a cable tie).   It still fits inside that NEMA enclosure, and we're getting good signal through the trees.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/M900%20Ubiquiti/M900bridge_zpsm2tbejjp.jpg
The extra white wire you see there is for a sensor I'm planning on adding.  

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/M900%20Ubiquiti/newwiring_zpssj0suk7a.jpg
I also changed out that PoE injector for a standard switch (which takes 12vdc), and opted to power the camera directly off the same 12vdc that's powering everything else in that box.   This was done because another camera is planned for that structure, and the PoE injector itself only had a single port.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/M900%20Ubiquiti/nownetgear_zpsr6npoaps.jpg
And at the access-point end of things, here is the new antenna.  See the little black rectangle on the right?  That's a stealth 900Mhz antenna... very inconspicuous.  It connects directly to a RP-SMA antenna jack on the M900, and that external jack is able to be enabled/disabled in software.  

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/M900%20Ubiquiti/stealthantenna_zpsm7ey0ooq.jpg

And it's giving five bars.  

View Quote
Excellent

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:26:26 AM EDT
[#24]

IP is cheap enough now that there is seldom a justification to do analog... The minor cost savings with analog is not worth the huge drop in image quality.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:

IP is cheap enough now that there is seldom a justification to do analog... The minor cost savings with analog is not worth the huge drop in image quality.

My dad is building a new restaurant from the ground up with another guy. The other guy got a local company to wire it... analog camera wire everywhere... They told them it was the newest tech out in the last 6 months....
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:

Yeah, I know but its already installed, just have 2 cams that won't switch to ir that need replacement.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:33:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:27:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Tiny web cam monitor for Android is on sale for $2 if anyone is interested. It's by far the best one I have found, I even paid full price for it!
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:28:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:33:11 PM EDT
[#29]

There is some tech out that sends megapixel streams over coax... but if you're starting from scratch, just run Cat6
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By louisianarebel:

My dad is building a new restaurant from the ground up with another guy. The other guy got a local company to wire it... analog camera wire everywhere... They told them it was the newest tech out in the last 6 months....

There is some tech out that sends megapixel streams over coax... but if you're starting from scratch, just run Cat6

Yep. Im not impressed. Its almost impossible to pull new wires where they were ran so it looks like we are fked.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:44:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Your avatar is mesmerizing.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gajeep94yj:
Tiny web cam monitor for Android is on sale for $2 if anyone is interested. It's by far the best one I have found, I even paid full price for it!

Your avatar is mesmerizing.

You should see it in real life...
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:28:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:05:59 AM EDT
[#32]

I pretty much do that too.  

Maybe guys who do this professionally can look at specs and see the camera image in their mind's eye... but I can't.  There is really no substitute for putting up the camera (or holding it up, connected to a laptop on the paint-shelf of your ladder) and looking at the picture.  I've used lens calculators and planning tools... and it's always a LITTLE bit different looking through the cam.

There is no substitute for looking through it first... just my opinion.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By louisianarebel:
Originally Posted By packingXDs:

ETA:

I get on a ladder with laptop and camera with long ass cable hooked to camera.... Then watch the live feed and move it around.

I pretty much do that too.  

Maybe guys who do this professionally can look at specs and see the camera image in their mind's eye... but I can't.  There is really no substitute for putting up the camera (or holding it up, connected to a laptop on the paint-shelf of your ladder) and looking at the picture.  I've used lens calculators and planning tools... and it's always a LITTLE bit different looking through the cam.

There is no substitute for looking through it first... just my opinion.

Not what I wanted to hear, some of mine are going on the second story eves and I very much dislike extension ladders.  Do you think day laborers charge by the foot or by the ladder rung?  

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:14:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:38:53 AM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By 2tired2run:

Not what I wanted to hear, some of mine are going on the second story eves and I very much dislike extension ladders.  Do you think day laborers charge by the foot or by the ladder rung?  
View Quote

I found holding my Galaxy S6 horizontally and holding/pointing where I plan on putting the camera worked pretty well. Even better if you can do it to an existing camera that is installed for a point of reference. Nailed the second camera placement using this trick.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#35]
If you have an SLR camera with a zoom lens you can use it's FOV to approximate the FOV of your CCTV camera.  A lot easier carrying a camera than a laptop up a latter.

FOV calculator

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#36]
what are you using for microphones and speakers? I need something I can put on my gate to listen in and talk back to at my gate. I have a call box but I swear some people are too stupid to push the right buttons
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:40:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:01:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Old school tag

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 10:25:19 AM EDT
[#40]

I use the mobotix stuff... that's all built-in.
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By coldair:

what are you using for microphones and speakers? I need something I can put on my gate to listen in and talk back to at my gate. I have a call box but I swear some people are too stupid to push the right buttons

I have a everfocus ean3300 box camera in an Axis housing already on the gate I was just looking for something I could add to that to let me listen and talk back from a remote speaker

Link Posted: 9/6/2015 12:47:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 4:17:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#42]

A regular analog camera probably doesn't have the inputs to do audio.

You'd have to do a PTT system of some kind.
View All Quotes

I have a everfocus ean3300 box camera in an Axis housing already on the gate I was just looking for something I could add to that to let me listen and talk back from a remote speaker  

A regular analog camera probably doesn't have the inputs to do audio.

You'd have to do a PTT system of some kind.

Many Axis cameras have PTT capability, and some low end ones are available used -but good, on eBay quite inexpensively.

Combine their PTT capability with a $10 12 vdc powered 2 channel amplifier, and a speaker and mic, and you're set.

The amps are available on eBay too. From China the least expensive, takes abt 2 1/2 week to arrive and a fantastic value.

Ask if more detail needed.

ETA, I'm using some Axis cams -just the audio portion, to remotely monitor the audio of radio traffic from the mtn via the LAN, not an optimum application, but works fine.

Also, we're thinking abt getting a real good -but inexpensive microphone, and putting it outside to monitor bears and other environmental sounds in the mtns. Remotely.

[Also security information]

The mic would feed a low noise preamp, go to a cheap Axis camera, then be monitored on any PC where I'm at. Any obsolete laptop would work fine.

ETA2 Axis has a great menu and options setting interface...

Link Posted: 9/6/2015 8:13:28 AM EDT
[#43]
sorry for the confusion it's an everfocus EAN3300 camera http://www.everfocus.com/product.cfm?productid=1681 in the axis housing.

I have a doorking call box on the outside but for some reason people can't follow instructions and miss hitting the pound sign before the code LOL plus I can not call out to box it only works when the person at the box calls me. what I would like to do is use a mic and speaker to listen in and give instruction over the speaker. the camera also has auxilary relays to control other devices is there a mini relay so i can keep the contacts from coming into direct contact with the 24 volts ac that the gate opener uses? that would allow me to open the gate from anywhere via the Blueiris software and my phone
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 8:13:39 AM EDT
[#44]
sorry for the confusion it's an everfocus EAN3300 camera http://www.everfocus.com/product.cfm?productid=1681 in the axis housing.

I have a doorking call box on the outside but for some reason people can't follow instructions and miss hitting the pound sign before the code LOL plus I can not call out to box it only works when the person at the box calls me. what I would like to do is use a mic and speaker to listen in and give instruction over the speaker. the camera also has auxilary relays to control other devices is there a mini relay so i can keep the contacts from coming into direct contact with the 24 volts ac that the gate opener uses? that would allow me to open the gate from anywhere via the Blueiris software and my phone
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 1:48:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#45]

View Quote

"is there a mini relay "

Sure, if your camera let's say operates on 12 vdc, then get a small relay that can be controlled from the 'more delicate' camera relay, so when it's operated the secondary relay is too.

Then use it to control noisy higher current systems.

If you need help finding one, I'll point out one on ebay that costs a couple $.

As far as hitting the * key, why not put instructions on the box that can't be missed?

Link Posted: 9/6/2015 9:00:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#46]

View Quote

Coldair, this Axis cam has a nice audio interface and there are ones the video doesn't work cheap [~$15 IIRC when I just looked] on ebay that would likely make a fine audio server.

Axis 216FD and similar in the series.

Google the ^^^ and you can see the Axis manual and data sheet.

Abt a year ago I picked up what looks be an identical cam cheap  -Axis model P3301, and have used it to monitor radio audio for security.

All you have to do is plug in a PC type mic and a cheap audio amp into the 'line out' jack and you're all set.

Link Posted: 9/10/2015 11:41:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Need an outdoor bullet camera with a pole mount. Doesn't look like the same line of Trendnets that I have been using fit the bill. Suggestions? Not looking to break the bank. <$200-ish.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Are there any halfway decent systems at the big box stores e.g. Costco, Frys, BestBuy, Home Depot, Lowes, etc?

A couple of us have volunteered to help a coworker replace their old 4 camera analog system that is dying (loss of video signal to DVR, IR emitters not working, etc).  They are interested in a 6-8 camera digital system, but don't want to deal with ordering....just want to go buy it but also not spend the $3500+ for system they were quoted by security company.  Any suggestions other than mail order and big box stores appreciated.

A quick search and scan of posts didn't really reveal anything so my apologies if I missed it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 10:50:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 12:34:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Grayman, you may have touched on this before but there are a lot of pages here. anyway. I have an aluminum  soffett with 2 x 4 every 24 inches. How do I install the camera? the aluminum is not strong enough and the wood would prevent the wire from poking thru
Page / 72
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top