Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 72
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone have experience with this camera or can give me some feedback:  http://www.hikvision.com/en/products_show.asp?id=7362

I'm looking to use it as a baby monitor and eventually I'll expand on the system with additional security cameras around the house but I need it primarily as a baby cam right now.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:15:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks brother.  Looks like they sell one from aliexpress for $150 vs Amazon's $229.  Am I going to get a crappy model for ordering through aliexpress?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DS-2CD8464F-EIW-Hikvision-Camera-PIR-human-detection-alarm-I-O-transceiver-1-3MP-Network-Alarm/904067_857290991.html
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:36:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Never heard of them but I just registered an account to see their pricing.  So far they look to be the same price as Amazon.  Any particular reason you like shopping with them?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:11:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:
I've bought some stuff from Nelly's over the years... seems like a good joint, and their prices are competitive.  

I have no commercial or personal affiliation with them whatsoever.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By RXM:

Never heard of them but I just registered an account to see their pricing.  So far they look to be the same price as Amazon.  Any particular reason you like shopping with them?

I've bought some stuff from Nelly's over the years... seems like a good joint, and their prices are competitive.  

I've had nothing but good dealings with Nelly's as well.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By sgthoskins:

View All Quotes

Decided to listen to the hive's advice.  Called them and spoke about what I'm trying to accomplish and asked for their advice.  Spoke with a really nice guy and he told me that for some reason, Hikvision comes out with better stuff and prices it below their existing products.  Long story short, he helped me make an informed decision about my purchase.  Glad I came here first instead of winging it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:55:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:51:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I ordered my hikvision cam from them on amazon before I even realized they are in Tulsa. I plan to swing by and check them out soon.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:14:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#11]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:53:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Any examples of how you're running wires outdoors?  Conduit?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:59:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:22:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Our home is an old colonial style house so options are limited for drilling through walls and running wires to the basement.  I'll figure it out and check back here with questions :)
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:32:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:50:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I wonder if it's not the design of the bulb affecting the throw pattern - almost the whole bottom 1/2 is plastic, so much less (relative) light is directed downward compared with the incandescent.

The photo with the LEDs even show more light/glare in the upper portion of the picture vs the incandescent.

Maybe you can find an LED version with a better pattern or a fixture that has inverted bulb sockets.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:30:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#18]
So my Hikvision camera arrived yesterday and I had it working on the LAN by the evening.  Image quality, especially at night, is freaking awesome.  Now I have to set up the system to be accessible from outside and on an app on the phone.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:22:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Ah, the postal service... source of endless CCTV lulz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZt3_Rmpyac
View Quote
My shocked face.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:57:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Impressive for the price, isn't it?  

It really took me by surprise.  The only downside is that I cannot get it to work with IP Cam Viewer on any of my tablets... so I won't be changing out any household cameras until that's fixed.
View All Quotes

So my Hikvision camera arrived yesterday and I had it working on the LAN by the evening. Image quality, especially at night, is freaking awesome. Now I have to set up the system to be accessible from outside and on an app on the phone.  

It really took me by surprise.  The only downside is that I cannot get it to work with IP Cam Viewer on any of my tablets... so I won't be changing out any household cameras until that's fixed.
I forget you're not running Blue Iris.  I use the BI HTTP interface on an iPad.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

So my Hikvision camera arrived yesterday and I had it working on the LAN by the evening. Image quality, especially at night, is freaking awesome. Now I have to set up the system to be accessible from outside and on an app on the phone.  

The one thing I don't like about the camera is the native software.  Eventually I'll have to look into a NVR or use a desktop to manage the security cameras.  

And yes, the image quality is VERY impressive.  You ain't gettin a nanny came like this at Babies-R-Us!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:40:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RXM] [#23]
double-tapped
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:44:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackbird_Pilot] [#24]

View All Quotes

I had no problem getting it to work with IP Cam Viewer on my SIII. I can check the settings if you want though I'm probably accessing it thru Blue Iris.

Also dropped by Nellys the other day. The showroom isn't much as they mostly do online but they were nice and helpful...and any of us would be jelly of some of their displays. It looked like around 50" lcd tvs with dozens of cam feeds on every screen.

edit: just checked and I did config it as a blue iris device in IPCV.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:24:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rustyg] [#25]
Many years ago, I worked for a guy who taught me to build servers from components to fab. DVR's, we built, installed and serviced the units.
He also wrote software specific to carwashes, it counted change, let you know when to empty vacuums, read soap levels etc... and paged the
proper person when needed. I still have my build notes, I could build me a DVR, but I doubt I could do it for less than what I could buy for.
   So, I have a dated grasp on these, installs were my forte'
What are your thoughts on this, real good reviews on amazon.
Amazon 8 cam w/DVR

I live in rural Az. no crime to speak of, I just want to be able to look around outside from my room
I will likely add IR lighting to the mix, feedback welcomed!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By rustyg:
Many years ago, I worked for a guy who taught me to build servers from components to fab. DVR's, we built, installed and serviced the units.
He also wrote software specific to carwashes, it counted change, let you know when to empty vacuums, read soap levels etc... and paged the
proper person when needed. I still have my build notes, I could build me a DVR, but I doubt I could do it for less than what I could buy for.
   So, I have a dated grasp on these, installs were my forte'
What are your thoughts on this, real good reviews on amazon.
Amazon 8 cam w/DVR

I live in rural Az. no crime to speak of, I just want to be able to look around outside from my room
I will likely add IR lighting to the mix, feedback welcomed!
View Quote

I am no expert, but have a couple of DVR's/camera installs under my belt. Can't comment on that unit, but will give u a price breakdown and comparison.

* That unit has a 500GB hard drive and 8 cameras, that will give you approx 15 days of recording (not enough in my opinion); 8 cameras deserve a 1TB hard drive (or greater) for a 30 day capture/retain period (I have stories on this!).
Consider buying a DVR unit with no hard drive, and install you own, this does the following:
1. It allows you to control the capacity of the drive.
2. It allows you to control the "quality" of the drive.
3. You will typically save more money buying each unit separate.

A few months ago I scored this DVR for $130 (w/coupon) and bought a 1TB hard drive for $50 bucks (w/coupon).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881523058

So $170, for the DVR and hard drive, with only 4 cameras; but I had other cams to use anyways...and I am pleased as punch with this cheap setup.

I hope this helps.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:40:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Very helpful, thanks for taking the time to spell that out
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 5:33:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#28]
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#29]
960H resolution vs D1 resolution? Is it worth the upgrade?

I understand that D1 resolution maxes out at 540TVL, while 960H resolution claims capability up to 700TVL; additionally, D1 is 720x480 vs 960H at 960x480 (34% larger)

So is the DVR upgrade warranted (I already have 600+ TVL cams), will I really be able to see a difference in quality watching the recorded footage in 960H resolution?
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 8:00:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 10:36:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Blackoperations:
960H resolution vs D1 resolution? Is it worth the upgrade?

I understand that D1 resolution maxes out at 540TVL, while 960H resolution claims capability up to 700TVL; additionally, D1 is 720x480 vs 960H at 960x480 (34% larger)

So is the DVR upgrade warranted (I already have 600+ TVL cams), will I really be able to see a difference in quality watching the recorded footage in 960H resolution?
View Quote

I have 500, 600 and 700 tvl cams and the difference is negligible. I recently put in a 3mp IP cam and its very noticeably better. I can actually pull up that monitor and zoom in on it a little bit and still get good detail. Its not a ptz cam its just that the image resolution is so much bigger.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 3:15:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 55Kingpin] [#32]
Anything wrong with buying this unit from Costco (Swann kit)

And then adding a few Hikvision domes and/or bullets as needed.

I've tracked this thread over the years, but I'm finally ready to pull the trigger.  So much has changed that I'm not sure what to do to get the best bang for the buck.

Thanks for any help!

ETA:  another option

Or, could I buy this kit from Sam's Club

Add a POE Switch and then add more cameras as needed (Hikvision as well).  Can a POE Switch be plugged in to one of the channels of the DVR?

(I'm definitely a novice when it comes to networking and this type of stuff)
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 8:36:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 8:59:18 AM EDT
[#34]

The DVR will only allow as many channels as it allows... so the DVR in your first link allows eight channels, but only supplies four cameras.... opening up the possibility for you to add additional cameras (presuming the DVR will support them... which it may... you'll have to read up on that).  The DVR in your second link only allows four cameras... so it's already full-up.  

Make sense?  
View Quote

Perfect!  Thank you, sir.

I've also been toying with the idea of just buying my own cameras and using a computer as a dvr.  I have an IT acquaintance that owes me a small favor.  I'm just not sure how each part meshes together and what software I need.

If I were to purchase all Hikvision IP POE cameras and use an old desktop as a DVR, what else would I need besides Cat5 cable?  Does the desktop limit the number of cameras you can use or would it basically depend on how much harddrive space you have?  Software, etc?  I'm sure a battery backup is highly recommended.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 8:07:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:44:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Another update:

After successfully using the HIKVision cube camera and being satisfied with the quality of the image, I purchase the NVR and additional cameras.  The quality is very impressive and setup was relatively easy.  I can't say enough great things about the system and the support at Nelly's Security.  I'm now able to watch the nanny on my work computer and on my phone.  She is in her late 40s and is not easy on the eyes so no photos.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:14:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By 55Kingpin:

I've tracked this thread over the years, but I'm finally ready to pull the trigger.  So much has changed that I'm not sure what to do to get the best bang for the buck.

Thanks for any help!

Add a POE Switch and then add more cameras as needed (Hikvision as well).  Can a POE Switch be plugged in to one of the channels of the DVR?

View Quote

I'm a little late here I know but the cameras on those Swann kits from Costco are reportedly rebranded Hikvisions.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#38]

Decided to listen to the hive's advice.  Called them and spoke about what I'm trying to accomplish and asked for their advice.  Spoke with a really nice guy and he told me that for some reason, Hikvision comes out with better stuff and prices it below their existing products.  Long story short, he helped me make an informed decision about my purchase.  Glad I came here first instead of winging it.
View All Quotes

A lot of the stuff you get directly from China has Chinese firmware and won't accept English firmware so if you ever do go that route be very careful what you are ordering.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:16:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:26:50 PM EDT
[#40]

I think that is the case.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RRaider:
Originally Posted By 55Kingpin:

Thanks for any help!

I'm a little late here I know but the cameras on those Swann kits from Costco are reportedly rebranded Hikvisions.

I think that is the case.

Some of the guys on one of the forums I frequent even flashed them with the Hikvision firmware and got 3mp performance out of them instead of the 2mp they are limited to by Swann.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:28:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Anybody have any tips for keeping spider webs off of external cameras?  I am out almost every night clearing at least one of my cameras.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#43]

A lot of the stuff you get directly from China has Chinese firmware and won't accept English firmware so if you ever do go that route be very careful what you are ordering.
View All Quotes

Nelly's Security really steps up to the plate with customer service.  I was on the phone wit them earlier and they logged into my system to update the firmware on my cameras and helped configuration.  I can't say enough how great their tech support is.  They've earned a customer for life.  The tech support alone negates any savings you'd get shopping elsewhere - for a noob like me of course.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 11:21:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ryo] [#44]
Looks like you can equalize the lighting so your camera would equalize the lighting, reducing the contrast by placing some as LED/CFLs and incandescent..

A note about lighting:

I know I've said it before, but lighting makes a HUGE difference in the performance of a camera.  Sunlight is different from incandescent, which is different from CFL, which is different from LED, which is different from IR, and so forth.  The recent push by our Fedgov to phase out incandescent bulbs in favor of CFLs (or now LEDs) may cause a significant deficit in the performance of your security camera system.

Allow me to demonstrate.  

Look at that difference... with only 80 watts of incadescent bulbs, and absolutely NO difference in illumination to the naked eye.  

If they outlaw incandescent bulbs entirely, my security system is going to be pissed.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 9:16:22 AM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Great to hear!  I am about to purchase the Swann kit for the office, and then I'll probably do a DIY for my home.  Thanks gents.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 1:37:24 AM EDT
[#46]
What is everyone using when they bring all the wires through their wall into their NVR? I'm guessing you add a low voltage ring?

And something like this?

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:18:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:26:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By FightingMajor:
What is everyone using when they bring all the wires through their wall into their NVR? I'm guessing you add a low voltage ring?

View Quote

For our home theater cabling I used this type made by Cooper and sold at Home Depot. I used an orange low-voltage old-work bracket.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:27:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sgthoskins] [#49]

Originally Posted By red_on_black:
For our home theater cabling I used this type made by Cooper and sold at Home Depot. I used an orange low-voltage old-work bracket.  
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/91/91ce6de6-f711-4250-8720-aef6b89175e7_400.jpg
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/53/5303f1f5-515c-45df-b049-851aed1d20e7_400.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By red_on_black:

Originally Posted By FightingMajor:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/91/91ce6de6-f711-4250-8720-aef6b89175e7_400.jpg
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/53/5303f1f5-515c-45df-b049-851aed1d20e7_400.jpg
I used those at a friends house as well.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:22:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Thanks everybody. Now if I could just figure out port forwarding I'll be set.
Page / 72
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top