User Panel

Page / 72
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:15:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Just saw this... Make sure you update!
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:25:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Attachment Attached File

This is a 3MP hikvision obviously IR is on. I'd like to be able to recognize a plate at this range. Plenty of pixels just a bad ir reflection. Anything I can adjust settings wise to improve this?
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 1:46:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:51:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:

Plate where?  On the street?  No way... too far away, not enough pixels-per-foot, and bad angle.  You also have to increase shutter-speed to catch plates at night, and compensate for the IR washout you're seeing.
View Quote

I was referring to the truck plate in the driveway that's washed out.  I have plenty of pixels per foot at that range.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:28:01 PM EDT
[#7]

You're going to have problems with that... because you need to dial down the IR, or increase the shutter speed.  The latter will darken your picture, as will the former.  

This is why license plate cameras tend to be dedicated cameras... because at night, you almost CAN'T get the plate AND the scene.  You can get away with it during the day, when lighting conditions are better... but night is the true challenge.  A single camera isn't usually up to the task, particularly anything in the neighborhood of "affordable"
View Quote
Ok Thanks for that. I was kind of thinking similar just wanted to understand if I was missing something. Hmm.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:20:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I need a recommendation
I don't want to build a system, I could but I just don't want to. I want plug and play
I've looked Ezviz, Lorex and Swann can you or anybody recommend something like these? I would prefer poe because I'm going to run the cat cable for internet anyway and I might as well do it at the same time
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:28:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By superdav:
I need a recommendation
I don't want to build a system, I could but I just don't want to. I want plug and play
I've looked Ezviz, Lorex and Swann can you or anybody recommend something like these? I would prefer poe because I'm going to run the cat cable for internet anyway and I might as well do it at the same time
View Quote
I have a Swann system and haven't had any problems with it.  Came with  2tb  drive and 3mp cameras.  The cameras have survived 2 winters in North Dakota.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:05:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:54:13 PM EDT
[#11]
isn't Hikvision all plug and play.  are they still a good brand
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:20:49 PM EDT
[#13]
ok, I really need to pull the trigger on a system

I'm thinking a few of these:

http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/4-mp/h-series-nsc-204-bt-outdoor-hd-4mp-ip-bullet-security-camera-4mm.html

and a few of these:

http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/4-mp/nsc-2x4-dm-4mp-wdr-exir-turret-ip-security-camera-2-8mm.html

and this NVR:

http://www.nellyssecurity.com/recorders/nvrs/8-channel/nsn-608-8p-8-channel-poe-plug-n-play-hi-def-nvr-recorder.html

pretty straightforward?
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:44:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 4:31:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By LTCetme:
Ok Thanks for that. I was kind of thinking similar just wanted to understand if I was missing something. Hmm.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LTCetme:

You're going to have problems with that... because you need to dial down the IR, or increase the shutter speed.  The latter will darken your picture, as will the former.  

This is why license plate cameras tend to be dedicated cameras... because at night, you almost CAN'T get the plate AND the scene.  You can get away with it during the day, when lighting conditions are better... but night is the true challenge.  A single camera isn't usually up to the task, particularly anything in the neighborhood of "affordable"
In that kind of scenario would it be better to use motion activated lights and turn off the camera IR?
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 5:01:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:12:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:08:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: superdav] [#18]

The Swann/Lorex/etc IP systems are actually very good for the money.  Get the 1080p-or-higher (1080p is 2.1 megapixel) systems, and make sure they use Cat5/6 cable (avoid the HD-CVI/etc system that use coax cable... those are only suitable for upgrading an existing, already-in-place analog installation).

Any of them would probably work for you.
View Quote
Thanks, off to shop
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#19]
anyone any good at setting up patrol, pan, park and autoscan on the new hikvison mini PZT cameras? I am getting a even worse sinus headache from trying to learn this LOL' its a model NSC-4A220-PTZir 2MP IP Weatherproof IR Mini PTZ Dome Security Camera 4.7-94mm from Nellys
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:36:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By coldair:
anyone any good at setting up patrol, pan, park and autoscan on the new hikvison mini PZT cameras? I am getting a even worse sinus headache from trying to learn this LOL' its a model NSC-4A220-PTZir 2MP IP Weatherproof IR Mini PTZ Dome Security Camera 4.7-94mm from Nellys
View Quote
If you send me one I'll get good on it and tell you everything you want to know about it.    I keep watching various models of them but haven't pulled the trigger yet.  I have a tower that would be a perfect place to put one on.

I'd see some PTZ cameras scanning patrol when I went into the security office where I used to work, but they were high dollar commercial market ones.  It's got to put some serious wear and tear on them.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 6:50:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:26:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:50:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Anyone have a Hikvision DS-2CD2532F-IS?

I ordered it from Nelly's in the spring of 2015 and just noticed some of the IR lights are out.  I'll call Nelly's to see if it's a warranty issue but just curious.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Figured I'd give a short review here....

The Swann 4900 system is pretty solid. It's a rebadged Hikvision 7208HUHI-F1/N (missing the alarm ports and using Swann branded v3.4.75 firmware). They're selling it with 4 or 8 Swann branded 5MP HDTVI cameras, and it is capable of recording all 8 at 12FPS each. Works out of the box with IVMS 4500.

Seems to have some bugs on email notification, probably the same old SSL issue plaguing most old firmware. Otherwise a solid system with 8 x 5MP cameras and a 2TB DVR for those with existing BNC based system or those not wanting to go PoE. Costco carries it for $599 right now.

I'm tempted to try loading the Hikvision firmware on it, as that should remove the limitation of running VCA on only two channels and would add support for running 2 IP cameras with the system (they would have to be wired to a separate switch, as this does not have any built in switch).

For under $600, I'm impressed.

Now to go buy ridiculously powerful IR illuminators!
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:11:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I just got on my blueiris to see how far back I am recording with 4TB of storage and 5 cameras. September...
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 7:42:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By louisianarebel:
I just got on my blueiris to see how far back I am recording with 4TB of storage and 5 cameras. September...
View Quote
What resolution / bitrate?
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:04:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By camarojsmith:
Anyone have a Hikvision DS-2CD2532F-IS?

I ordered it from Nelly's in the spring of 2015 and just noticed some of the IR lights are out.  I'll call Nelly's to see if it's a warranty issue but just curious.
View Quote
they will dimm some IRleds if smart IR is enabled
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:08:28 AM EDT
[#28]

Are you talking about one of these?

Link to Nelly's

If so, please let me know what you think of it.  I have my eye on one of those for the house, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
View Quote
I got the 2 mp one and it blows away the 5mp dome and bullet cameras that are watching the gate and driveway in both clarity and picture sharpness in both day and night modes. the auto focus on zoom is great the other cameras are power focus and zoom but you have to constantly adjust them for each level of zoom.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 4:16:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:22:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Just diving into this thread, and will be reading from the beginning over the next few weeks.

As a starting point for 1080P wireless IP cameras who is currently the most well thought of for picture quality and wireless range.  And who is the go-to for the no-glow IR versions of such cameras.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:42:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:34:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By USMC88-93:
Just diving into this thread, and will be reading from the beginning over the next few weeks.

As a starting point for 1080P wireless IP cameras who is currently the most well thought of for picture quality and wireless range.  And who is the go-to for the no-glow IR versions of such cameras.
View Quote
TGM speaks the truth. Cameras are a long term investment. As a guy who's been down your route I would definitely confirm it's worth it to spend 50x longer to correctly install POE cameras than go wireless and spend the next few years resetting stuff and otherwise trying to figure out what the cause of one weird glitch after another.

Also like TGM said covert LEDs are in the 950nm range. The cheaper and more common LEDs are 840nm. If you can find 950mn wireless cameras they are going to be few and far between and fairy expensive.

All that said I'd suggest the foscam C1 and C2 series of cameras if you are positively committed to wireless. I've used them and gotten good value. They have 840nm LEDs but then again almost all wireless cameras do. I use  C1 as a baby monitor. I would not use it as a primary security camera.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:03:04 AM EDT
[#33]
whats the deal with the no visable IR illuminators? most people don't see them anyways even when they are up to no good, case in point was this 

there is a IR panel sitting right above the camera and 3 more IR lights and two more Cameras with IR lights sitting up the driveway at the gate. only one cop and one guy I hunt with have ever spotting them and said something about it 
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:54:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC88-93] [#35]

Don't go wireless, unless you have incredibly beefy wireless infrastructure (and I do NOT mean a single consumer-grade access point), and no interference potential.  A wireless camera or two, in an otherwise hard-wired system?  Fine...  but an entire system wireless?  That's asking for trouble for more than about 3-4 cameras.

As for cameras with built-in covert LEDs, you're not going to find much of that in the consumer space.  "Covert" IR illuminators are out there, but tend to be very expensive, and the spectral sensitivity of the most cameras that deep into the IR spectrum is not very good.   The longer the wavelength of the IR, the more of it you need to allow your cameras to see anything... meaning bigger/more-expensive illuminators.  You might find that a single panel illuminator costs as much as your entire camera system.  

That said, I *AM* a fan of separate illuminators... and if you don't want to give away the location of the cameras, you can simply turn off the camera's IR LEDs in the camera software.  The illuminator will be obvious...  but the camera's location doesn't have to be.
View Quote
Understood on all points, I only need two wireless cameras (out of a group of 6) when all said and done they cant be done otherwise.  And I already have multiple separate illuminators but they are all the 940nm variety being used with game cameras capable of seeing them.  I would prefer to find security cameras capable of seeing them instead of going with the 850 variety.  So questions still stand for both 940nm and wireless cameras.  If I wanted to kick that can down the road which manufacturers would I look to?  The fact I already own the 940nm illumination and only need two cameras leads be to be willing to cough up the coin for 940nm cameras if it is feasible to do so.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:00:27 PM EDT
[#36]
I believe that most IR capable cameras can see both illuminators they are just more sensitive to the lower frequency versions. Meaning you will need more power and more illuminators.

My foscam C1 will see them just not as bright.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:20:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:35:31 PM EDT
[#38]
On a completely different side note.  On cameras that have on board memory card slots how do you get the files off the card is it just seen as another drive on the network?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:05:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#40]
My question - I have a tall 2 story house (both floors have 10' ceilings). I assume I'll run the cables up into the attic/crawlspace, since my tech stuff/router/access is all upstairs. Will I try to fish the cables inside the exterior walls? I am not sure how I would accomplish that with headers in the way. What is protocol here? That is really the only thing stopping me. I just can't wrap my head around cable runs. I've pulled wire for speakers, but thats been short runs through interior walls and floor.

Am I just missing something? Do I just mount them up high and staple the stupid cable to the exterior wall?  
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 6:07:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NoVaGator] [#41]
Originally Posted By sneadhearn:

My question - I have a tall 2 story house (both floors have 10' ceilings). I assume I'll run the cables up into the attic/crawlspace, since my tech stuff/router/access is all upstairs. Will I try to fish the cables inside the exterior walls? I am not sure how I would accomplish that with headers in the way. What is protocol here? That is really the only thing stopping me. I just can't wrap my head around cable runs. I've pulled wire for speakers, but thats been short runs through interior walls and floor.

Am I just missing something? Do I just mount them up high and staple the stupid cable to the exterior wall?  
View Quote
It can be hard to fish cable inside exterior walls, as they're usually filled with insulation... but yes, you'll have to drill through the top plates. (headers)
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 6:15:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 6:38:05 PM EDT
[#43]
You might consider running them behind baseboards, and going straight through the exterior wall at the level of the second-story floor.  Mounting them on the top/eave of the second story gives overhead area coverage, but no possibility of catching faces or license plates.
View Quote
Good idea. As noted above, pulling cable through exterior walls would be tough. That might be a good solution for most of the cameras. I am looking at 8 cameras, 5 of which will be in the rear of the house, which is also close to where the termination of the cables will be. The other three will be a little more challenging to route.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:42:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Anyone using hikvision dome outdoor cameras?  Do you have any issues with spider webs?  I have all bullet cameras and during the warmer months I have to dust them just about nightly for spider webs.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By sgthoskins:
Anyone using hikvision dome outdoor cameras?  Do you have any issues with spider webs?  I have all bullet cameras and during the warmer months I have to dust them just about nightly for spider webs.
View Quote
I have hikvision domes. One dome I have to brush off every 3 months or so and the rest are fine. Must be something about that one that the critters like. Perhaps a dusting of pesticide would help?
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#46]
I've tried the sprays, it really doesn't seem to help after a day or so.  I'm in the middle of the woods, we have a ton of spiders and they seem to like the IR light in those bullets.  I am assuming there is a little bit of heat behind that shield that attracts them.  I am hoping the domes have a little bit more space so the heat is dissipated a bit more on the surface.

I think I'll grab a dome and throw it on the deck and see what happens before I replace all of them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:32:55 PM EDT
[#47]
I've tried the sprays, it really doesn't seem to help after a day or so.  I'm in the middle of the woods, we have a ton of spiders and they seem to like the IR light in those bullets.  I am assuming there is a little bit of heat behind that shield that attracts them.  I am hoping the domes have a little bit more space so the heat is dissipated a bit more on the surface.

I think I'll grab a dome and throw it on the deck and see what happens before I replace all of them.
View Quote
If it's the IR they are attracted to try an external illuminator and turning off the built in illuminator. See if that helps.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:14:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:15:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Good idea, thanks guys.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:38:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Anyone using hikvision dome outdoor cameras? Do you have any issues with spider webs? I have all bullet cameras and during the warmer months I have to dust them just about nightly for spider webs.
View Quote
I believe it's the heat given off that attracts insects.
Page / 72
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top