Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 72
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:27:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Ok.  I've somewhat narrowed down my live view / playback issue.

When I'm at home, I can live view and playback without any issues.  No skips at all.  

When I'm at work (513mbps download and 926mbps upload speed).  I'm getting choppy playback as well as live view.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By camarojsmith:

When I'm at home, I can live view and playback without any issues.  No skips at all.  

When I'm at work (513mbps download and 926mbps upload speed).  I'm getting choppy playback as well as live view.

Any ideas?
View Quote

Whats your home internet speed?
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By louisianarebel:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Any ideas?

I'll have to speed test when I get home.  20mbps?  It's one up from the slowest. That's most likely my problem? I'm guessing.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 3:56:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:30:42 PM EDT
[#5]

I'll have to speed test when I get home.  20mbps?  It's one up from the slowest. That's most likely my problem? I'm guessing.
View All Quotes

Any ideas?

Maybe try accessing the sub stream when you're not at home?  I use tinycam on my android phone and unless I'm on wifi it accesses the substream of the cameras, which I have set at a much lower resolution.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By robpiat:

I've got a free app on a fire stick (25$ when its on sale) that worked like magic. Don't have NVR access, but live feed just works. Instead of adding each camera, I just used my internal blue iris ip and it added each camera as a channel. Includes Ptz control. Pretty impressed for a free app.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By robpiat:
Originally Posted By packingXDs:
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:

Can you get cat5 from the DVR to that TV?  If so, I'd use a video extender

The NVR is actually a Synology NAS using their software package to do the recording. The feeds are only viewable (at the NAS) by using a plugin which no longer works in any browser. So I have to access the feeds directly from the cameras if I wish to view them. Hence looking for something that can display network camera feeds directly. My current hack is to run a screen session for each camera with omxplayer hitting the RTP stream of each camera, but its less than stable on the RPi. This also looks interesting, but $250 for what amounts to software they give away for free on a Windows platform, running on a RPi is a tough pill to swallow.

I've got a free app on a fire stick (25$ when its on sale) that worked like magic. Don't have NVR access, but live feed just works. Instead of adding each camera, I just used my internal blue iris ip and it added each camera as a channel. Includes Ptz control. Pretty impressed for a free app.

What's the app?
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quick question for you guys. I added a Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-IS and I would like to utilize the two way audio features. Any suggestions for a speaker / mic combo that would work acceptably and easily install in my porch roof?

Or are discreet components the cheapest and easiest way to go?
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 12:22:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#8]
Got this double rainbow picture with an IP PTZ camera I thought someone might enjoy.

Wonder which one has the pot of gold -confusing...

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By dlm1984:
Quick question for you guys. I added a Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-IS and I would like to utilize the two way audio features. Any suggestions for a speaker / mic combo that would work acceptably and easily install in my porch roof?

Or are discreet components the cheapest and easiest way to go?
View Quote

Tag for the answer
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 8:27:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Question about NVR software.  I've got a decent little pc  running windows 7 pro to use as a dedicated NVR but I haven't picked out the software.  Blue iris seems to be the go to for most homemade systems. I've got only hikvision and foscam cameras so far and I love the price.  Anything comparable?
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 9:00:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Milestone Xprotect Essential is now free for up to 8 cameras.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 9:35:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LTCetme] [#12]
Misquote
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 9:36:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By redjeepxj:
View Quote

I like it!  Have you used it?  Its for home and I doubt I'll have over 8 cameras here
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 6:40:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By LTCetme:

I like it!  Have you used it?  Its for home and I doubt I'll have over 8 cameras here
View All Quotes

I'm using it.. works great
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 6:43:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I have been using it for a couple years now at 4 different sites.  Not had any issues and they seem to release updates multiple times a year.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 12:25:37 PM EDT
[#16]
If you wanted to add additional camera licenses in the future do you know what they want for the licenses? I don't think I'll need to but I am curious .
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 1:03:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Over 8 it is $399/year and you have to buy them in 8 packs.   At that point you would want to look at xprotect express or another software. Xprotect express is perpetual license vs yearly.  Essential used to cost about $50 per camera, they just recently switched it to free and eliminated the xprotect Go product which used to be free but more limited than essential.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Do they support Foscam? I didn't see Foscam in the list but wasn't sure if they could capture a generic H264 stream.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 6:15:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 6:21:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Do they support Foscam? I didn't see Foscam in the list but wasn't sure if they could capture a generic H264 stream.
View Quote

There are some generic drivers so they may work.   It is worth the download to try.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Question about NVR software.  I've got a decent little pc  running windows 7 pro to use as a dedicated NVR but I haven't picked out the software.  Blue iris seems to be the go to for most homemade systems. I've got only hikvision and foscam cameras so far and I love the price.  Anything comparable?
View Quote

I love BlueIris. Been using it for a few years now. Super easy to use. Very slick interface. Tons of features. They constantly put out improvements and bug fixes though Ive never found a bug. I am running several Hikvision cams and I do see Foscam listed in the add camera menu.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Blackbird_Pilot:

I love BlueIris. Been using it for a few years now. Super easy to use. Very slick interface. Tons of features. They constantly put out improvements and bug fixes though Ive never found a bug. I am running several Hikvision cams and I do see Foscam listed in the add camera menu.
View All Quotes

+1 I run all my cameras using BI.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 11:01:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By sgthoskins:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sgthoskins:

BlueIris here
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 1:16:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jekbrown] [#25]
Any opinions on Amcrest systems? Looking at this one currently...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C6DJSCO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3J3665PZM6CAV&coliid=I8ZZG3VNYLBDU&psc=1

Open to other recommendations also. Looking for:

1. 1.3MP cams, at a min
2. 8 channels, but fine with 4 cams to start
3. PoE
4. software that doesn't suck, functionally...if it takes fiddling to set up, I'm cool with that. Been into computers since the early 80s...
5. ability to monitor via android
6. lots of programming flexibility regarding frames per second, motion only recording, masking, etc.
7. Less than $750 initial investment
8. all cams going outdoors, for now, so they need to be rated as such, and nightvision capable. Not sure-long range NV, functional images at 10-15 yards should be sufficient considering where these cams will be mounted.

I deal with enterprise stuff mostly. Wish all these consumer grade systems had regular varifocal lenses. Like the flexibility at work. Maybe I'll invest some more $ later with additional cams that feature this.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Ok, thanks for the response. I appreciate it!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#28]
double rainbow guy approves.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 11:34:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 2:05:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Hey Doc,

I'm looking for a camera setup for the front porch at my Mom's house.

Is it possible that when someone is at the door and rings the doorbell, the video is displayed on the TV?

Whenever anyone has a video question, I always link this thread or the ones in home security.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 7:39:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: beavo451] [#33]
Originally Posted By ApacheScout:
Hey Doc,
Is it possible that when someone is at the door and rings the doorbell, the video is displayed on the TV?
Whenever anyone has a video question, I always link this thread or the ones in home security.
View Quote

If this is the only functionality you want, something like the Ring doorbell would probably be the easiest solution.

It would work with a smartphone or tablet though
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 11:20:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Hey Doc,
View Quote

I bought an android box off amazon and loaded the tinycam app on the box. then connected the box to my tv via hdmi.    In this case you'd have to switch over to the new hdmi port when someine rings the door bell.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 9:36:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KwaiChangCaine] [#35]
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:

I bought an android box off amazon and loaded the tinycam app on the box. then connected the box to my tv via hdmi.    In this case you'd have to switch over to the new hdmi port when someine rings the door bell.
View All Quotes
Hey Doc,

Back when I used analog cameras I ran a coaxial cable from the DVR video output port to my bedroom TV's composite input.  I could lay in bed watching TV and switch inputs to the cameras when I wanted.  That's really the only thing I miss about that old stuff.

There are a lot of ways to get camera video on a TV but no way to automatically switch it that I know of, unless someone builds a program on a Raspberry Pi or similar to do it.  Doorbell ring and signals Pi.  Pi switches TV to camera using IR LED by simulating remote or something.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 10:00:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By KwaiChangCaine:

Back when I used analog cameras I ran a coaxial cable from the DVR video output port to my bedroom TV's composite input.  I could lay in bed watching TV and switch inputs to the cameras when I wanted.  That's really the only thing I miss about that old stuff.

There are a lot of ways to get camera video on a TV but no way to automatically switch it that I know of, unless someone builds a program on a Raspberry Pi or similar to do it.  Doorbell ring and signals Pi.  Pi switches TV to camera using IR LED by simulating remote or something.
View All Quotes
Hey Doc,

Might be able to do something with a small home automation type setup too, if it can control your tv inputs.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 10:34:25 PM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

Hey Doc,

Thats kinda what I was thinking. I guess with the new technology, things aren't as easy as they used to be.

Thanks for all the input guys.

I'll keep nosing around and if I find something, I'll report back.

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 7:27:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 12:52:21 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm sure this info is somewhere in the thread, but can I get a cable recommendation? POE cams/NVR, exterior rated, 100' runs max. Need ones that are already terminated. STP? Brands? 5 or 6? Stuff is confusing, lol.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 12:05:06 AM EDT
[#40]

There are some generic drivers so they may work.   It is worth the download to try.
View All Quotes

Follow up:
I have configured my NVR server with Milestone Xprotect Essential 2016 using their free 8 camera license as suggested in this thread. It is working great after some adjustments were made. The software did not have Foscam in its supported camera manufacture list but when I scanned the network for camera hardware the foscam cameras (C2 wireless cameras) were found and added. They work great! I have no complaints. Originally I had planed to RDP into my server if I ever needed to check the recordings however Xprotect essential has a great little web client and I can search the NVR perfectly from any computer on the LAN. Very happy so far with the free version. If I had more than 8 cameras I probably would have used blue iris.

Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:38:18 PM EDT
[#42]

Follow up:
I have configured my NVR server with Milestone Xprotect Essential 2016 using their free 8 camera license as suggested in this thread. It is working great after some adjustments were made. The software did not have Foscam in its supported camera manufacture list but when I scanned the network for camera hardware the foscam cameras (C2 wireless cameras) were found and added. They work great! I have no complaints. Originally I had planed to RDP into my server if I ever needed to check the recordings however Xprotect essential has a great little web client and I can search the NVR perfectly from any computer on the LAN. Very happy so far with the free version. If I had more than 8 cameras I probably would have used blue iris.
View Quote

You can also use the Smart Client and connect to your server remotely.  It provides a few more features than the web client.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:13:41 AM EDT
[#43]
I went to Nelly's looking for Hikvision, but they only have NSN, is that the new name for Hikvision?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:40:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#45]
The NSC cameras are their house brand cameras made by Hikvision.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:05:35 PM EDT
[#46]
I use tinycam pro as my video client on my android phone. Is there an equivalent for ios that anyone recommends? I love tinycan pro but its not available for my wife's iproducts. Anything equivalent?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:41:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:06:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:

You want "IP Cam Viewer" by Robert Chou.  The pro version is only about three bucks.

It's well worth it.
View Quote

Ok I will look into that one as soon as I can get her phone. Shes currently playing "Clash of Clans" on it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:00:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:48:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Anyone using Bluecherry with an OSX client?  The server runs fine, but the client is a crashing mess.
Page / 72
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top