Site Notices
10/24/2014 2:42:22 PM
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2
Author
Posted: 11/15/2007 2:55:31 AM
I have a recently built M4gery and need a sling, I plan on using it to carry my rifle around my BOL while doing chores, mowing etc.

I'd just like to have it handy while out in the sticks.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
SirSqueeboo
Intarweb Royalty
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/15/2007 3:02:54 AM
Blue Force Gear VCAS
"Heroes in war are nice, unfortunately most of them are dead"~ SGM Fortunato, USAR

Originally Posted By tweeter:
You know? Being superficial and judgmental about others on the internet is kinda fun. I suddenly feel better about myself
Tommygun45
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/15/2007 6:14:37 AM
Viking tactics VTAC
Colt_SBR
"Thread Killer" كاف&
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/15/2007 8:35:42 AM

I like the IDF sling.

Nothin to say.
l1a1man
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/15/2007 8:55:13 AM
I always make my own. Buckles and webbing from Ace hardware are only about $6 for a good sling.
stormwalker
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/15/2007 8:56:13 AM
if it's just to have handy and not carried in a tactical situation. why not just a G.I. sling?

or is that not tacticool enough?
niceguymr
Range Reporter Extraordinaire
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/15/2007 9:04:21 AM
Specter Gear CQB
© 2006 - All Rights Reserved.
Heltsley
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/15/2007 9:06:25 AM
Another vote for the Vtac Sling, it is truly a useful design

www.vikingtactics.com/prod_sling_VTAC-MK1-a.html

They have a much better explanation and how to video at the LA-Police Gear sight.

www.lapolicegear.com/511-tactical-basic-2-point-sling.html

If you are going to wear it with accessories and weighted down then I would go with a Vtac Padded sling. I personally have not used the padded version but have given it much thought.

www.lapolicegear.com/511-tactical-padded-2-point-sling.html

jeepnstein
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/15/2007 9:18:36 AM
I'm a big fan of the IDF style. I looked at all the options and decided to try what worked for people who literally carry their weapon 24-7 as a matter of national survival. You just tie the thing on with some paracord which causes some folks to look at you like you're some kind of nut. It works very well, no big surprise.

My AR is an A1 with a collapsible stock and a 16 inch barrel. Simple as it can be, and my sling is the same way. I also use one of their slings on my duty shotgun. I can move around with either weapon and they never get in the way and are super fast to get onto target. Going to my weak side is a bit cumbersome but not enough to make me want to change slings.

www.zahal.org was where I got mine.
Vinosaur
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/15/2007 10:19:58 AM
I used to use the Blue Force Gear UDC sling, but switched over to the Viking VTAC/LR2 Sling. I love it. Rapid adjustment and comfortable.

I have the UDC still. Free to a good home. Just in time for Christmas. IM me.
What's this weapon's name, Private Pyle?

Sir, the private's weapon's name is Charlene.

NRA Member
Primos
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/15/2007 10:28:53 AM
I really like the RMT Summit sling.

2 point / 1 point conversion. Excellent quality, good price, and good company to back it up.

highwayman
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/15/2007 10:38:13 AM
[Last Edit: 11/15/2007 10:39:56 AM by highwayman]

Originally Posted By Heltsley:
Another vote for the Vtac Sling, it is truly a useful design

www.vikingtactics.com/prod_sling_VTAC-MK1-a.html

They have a much better explanation and how to video at the LA-Police Gear sight.

www.lapolicegear.com/511-tactical-basic-2-point-sling.html

If you are going to wear it with accessories and weighted down then I would go with a Vtac Padded sling. I personally have not used the padded version but have given it much thought.

www.lapolicegear.com/511-tactical-padded-2-point-sling.html

I have the Viking 2-point Padded sling. Actually, it's the new 5.11/Viking collaboration. I love it. I used to use a CQB solutions 3-point sling, but I like the Viking so much better. You can cinch it up tight to your body or loosen it with just the pull of a cord. I put a GG&G endplate on my rifle so I attach the sling into that. It's much nicer because you can adjust the buttstock without changing your sling length. MJD
RictusGrin
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/15/2007 10:46:01 AM

Originally Posted By SirSqueeboo:
Blue Force Gear VCAS

+1.

It's a nice 2-point with quick adjustability, which I like mostly because I switch a lot between wearing armor or a plate carier and going slick, but it's still a wonderful feature. I ended up with two of them.

Single points offer little control of the weapon when doing anything but standing upright. 3-point slings have too much going on, IMO, with webbing everywhere interfering with weapon manipulation. Traditional 2-pointers aren't adjustable on the fly. The VCAS made my day.
Thanks, HermanSnerd!
HAIRBEAR
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/16/2007 12:17:48 AM
height=8
Originally Posted By stormwalker:
if it's just to have handy and not carried in a tactical situation. why not just a G.I. sling?

or is that not tacticool enough?

Its not a matter of being"tacticool" or not, I was just looking for suggestions because I don't have a sling yet.
Thanks for suggesting the gov issue sling.
HAIRBEAR
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/16/2007 12:21:47 AM
height=8
Originally Posted By Tommygun45:
Viking tactics VTAC

The VTAC looks like a nice sling, I like the idea of it being so easily adjusted.

Not too pricey either.

Thanks for all the advice guys.
Paul
OG
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/16/2007 12:37:46 AM
Pretty much a personal thing - what you want it to do, how you want to carry the rifle, your body size ....

I like the Wilderness Tactical Slings
AR15.com's oldest sig line:
Celebrating the Second Amendment One Fine Firearm at a Time

RjSteed
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/16/2007 3:42:45 AM
www.usarmory.com 8.00 or so. The sling designed for the M4.... Best for the money IMO
HAM Call "KI4NJF"

You can Call me on Echolink with of these freqs:(5p-7p/ 7a-8a) On my way to or from work.
Freq 146.640 Holiday, Fl
Freq 145.250 Wesley Chaple, Fl Near House

Propper Prior Planning Prevents Piss-poor Performanc
supanate7
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/16/2007 6:22:07 AM
+1 for Specter Gear CQB
callgood
Opbakning den Danes
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/16/2007 12:01:25 PM
[Last Edit: 11/16/2007 12:03:31 PM by callgood]

Originally Posted By RjSteed:
www.usarmory.com 8.00 or so. The sling designed for the M4.... Best for the money IMO

usarmory is a good source. If you're actually going to use the sling while shooting, check out.

It's a heck of a lot easier to adjust.

They also have the older cotton one

which I prefer for it's "grip" on my arm.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." The Rt Hon William Pitt, Speech to Parliament 1783
colklink
Thanks Quintin and Deej86!
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/16/2007 12:14:14 PM
I have one of these on allmost every one of my rifles. Only $2.99 identical to the USGI sling used on the M-16 for years, quiet, and can be adjusted to use as a shooting sling.

Or you can go with a $80 single point tacticool sling, your choice.
Being an asshole has a reward all its own

My ignorance amuses me greatly

Remember kids, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people who ask questions.
LuvBUSHmaster
An American Infidel
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/16/2007 2:30:25 PM
Here is another vote for the plain jane cloth USGI slings. Good for carrying the rifle, EXCELLENT for loop or hasty sling usage for prone, sitting or offhand shooting styles...

I guess I like the simple KISS aspect of it for survival usage, instead of seventy buckles, straps and nylon ends to worry about.
"There comes a time when every man feels the urge to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Speak softly and carry a big stick - Teddy Roosevelt
Ranchhand365
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/16/2007 3:49:36 PM
Currently I have a nylon USGI.

Works fine for basic carry and offhand / kneeling but that VTAC 2 Point is some to really concider!
Mac_Fan
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/17/2007 12:30:49 AM
I have an IDF sling on both of mine. The strap is wide and comfortable.
Chuck Norris' watch does not have numbers on it. It simply says "Time to kick ass."

If Chuck Norris were a calendar, every month would be named Chucktober, and every day he'd kick your ass.
RacerXXL
Curvebendus Rapidicus
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/17/2007 12:44:08 AM

Originally Posted By RictusGrin:

Originally Posted By SirSqueeboo:
Blue Force Gear VCAS

+1.

It's a nice 2-point with quick adjustability, which I like mostly because I switch a lot between wearing armor or a plate carier and going slick, but it's still a wonderful feature. I ended up with two of them.

Single points offer little control of the weapon when doing anything but standing upright. 3-point slings have too much going on, IMO, with webbing everywhere interfering with weapon manipulation. Traditional 2-pointers aren't adjustable on the fly. The VCAS made my day.

+2 I have it on one carbine and will be switching my second carbine to it as well.
"Send lawyers, guns, and money..."
CAsoldier
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/17/2007 9:29:48 AM
i found that for my duties the wolf hook type was the best but i didnt like the fact that i had to clip it on and off of my armor all the time so i took a sling and cut in in half the looped it throught the sling attachment at the bottom of my buttstock and then again at the top of the buttstock. this makes a loop at the end of my weapon that i can put over my shoulder, the sling is out of the way and the weapon hangs on my right side. try it you might like it. if i was more PC savvy id post pics. but as always use what works best for you!
Phyxion
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/21/2007 2:37:12 PM
Those of you using the IDF sling, make sure you're comfortable with transitioning to and from slung/aimed with it. I had IDF slings on both of my rifles (they are very comfortable, and very quiet, which I wanted, plus they look cool) until my first practical rifle class. I found that I did not have solid enough control over where the muzzle was pointing during transitions with this style sling, since the paracord is "floppier" than the strap material.

It might be right for you, but make sure you use it enough to become aware of how it handles for you.

I've gone back to the single-point sling until something better (for me) comes along.
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED