Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2007 10:55:31 PM EDT
I have a recently built M4gery and need a sling, I plan on using it to carry my rifle around my BOL while doing chores, mowing etc.

I'd just like to have it handy while out in the sticks.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/14/2007 11:02:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Blue Force Gear VCAS
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 2:14:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Viking tactics VTAC
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 4:35:42 AM EDT
[#3]

I like the IDF sling.  

Link Posted: 11/15/2007 4:55:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I always make my own. Buckles and webbing from Ace hardware are only about $6 for a good sling.
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 4:56:13 AM EDT
[#5]
if it's just to have handy and not carried in a tactical situation. why not just a G.I. sling?

or is that not tacticool enough?
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 5:04:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Specter Gear CQB
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 5:06:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Another vote for the Vtac Sling, it is truly a useful design

www.vikingtactics.com/prod_sling_VTAC-MK1-a.html

They have a much better explanation and how to video at the LA-Police Gear sight.

www.lapolicegear.com/511-tactical-basic-2-point-sling.html

If you are going to wear it with accessories and weighted down then I would go with a Vtac Padded sling.  I personally have not used the padded version but have given it much thought.

www.lapolicegear.com/511-tactical-padded-2-point-sling.html

Link Posted: 11/15/2007 5:18:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm a big fan of the IDF style.  I looked at all the options and decided to try what worked for people who literally carry their weapon 24-7 as a matter of national survival.   You just tie the thing on with some paracord which causes some folks to look at you like you're some kind of nut.  It works very well, no big surprise.  

My AR is an A1 with a collapsible stock and a 16 inch barrel.  Simple as it can be, and my sling is the same way.  I also use one of their slings on my duty shotgun.  I can move around with either weapon and they never get in the way and are super fast to get onto target.  Going to my weak side is a bit cumbersome but not enough to make me want to change slings.

www.zahal.org was where I got mine.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 6:19:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I used to use the Blue Force Gear UDC sling, but switched over to the Viking VTAC/LR2 Sling.  I love it.  Rapid adjustment and comfortable.

I have the UDC still.  Free to a good home.  Just in time for Christmas.  IM me.
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 6:28:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I really like the RMT Summit sling.

2 point / 1 point conversion.  Excellent quality, good price, and good company to back it up.

Link Posted: 11/15/2007 6:38:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Another vote for the Vtac Sling, it is truly a useful design

www.vikingtactics.com/prod_sling_VTAC-MK1-a.html

They have a much better explanation and how to video at the LA-Police Gear sight.

www.lapolicegear.com/511-tactical-basic-2-point-sling.html

If you are going to wear it with accessories and weighted down then I would go with a Vtac Padded sling.  I personally have not used the padded version but have given it much thought.

www.lapolicegear.com/511-tactical-padded-2-point-sling.html

I have the Viking 2-point Padded sling.  Actually, it's the new 5.11/Viking collaboration.  I love it.  I used to use a CQB solutions 3-point sling, but I like the Viking so much better.  You can cinch it up tight to your body or loosen it with just the pull of a cord.  I put a GG&G endplate on my rifle so I attach the sling into that.  It's much nicer because you can adjust the buttstock without changing your sling length.  MJD
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 6:46:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Blue Force Gear VCAS

+1.

It's a nice 2-point with quick adjustability, which I like mostly because I switch a lot between wearing armor or a plate carier and going slick, but it's still a wonderful feature.  I ended up with two of them.

Single points offer little control of the weapon when doing anything but standing upright.  3-point slings have too much going on, IMO, with webbing everywhere interfering with weapon manipulation.  Traditional 2-pointers aren't adjustable on the fly.  The VCAS made my day.
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 8:17:48 PM EDT
[#13]
height=8
Quoted:
if it's just to have handy and not carried in a tactical situation. why not just a G.I. sling?

or is that not tacticool enough?

Its not a matter of being"tacticool" or not, I was just looking for suggestions because I don't have a sling yet.
Thanks for suggesting the gov issue sling.
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#14]
height=8
Quoted:
Viking tactics VTAC

The VTAC looks like a nice sling, I like the idea of it being so easily adjusted.

Not too pricey either.

Thanks for all the advice guys.
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 8:37:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 11:42:45 PM EDT
[#16]
www.usarmory.com 8.00 or so. The sling designed for the M4.... Best for the money IMO
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 2:22:07 AM EDT
[#17]
+1 for Specter Gear CQB
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 8:01:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
www.usarmory.com 8.00 or so. The sling designed for the M4.... Best for the money IMO

usarmory is a good source. If you're actually going to use the sling while shooting, check out.

It's a heck of a lot easier to adjust.

They also have the older cotton one

which I prefer for it's "grip" on my arm.
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 8:14:14 AM EDT
[#19]
I have one of these on allmost every one of my rifles. Only $2.99 identical to the USGI sling used on the M-16 for years, quiet, and can be adjusted to use as a shooting sling.

Or you can go with a $80 single point tacticool sling, your choice.
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 10:30:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Here is another vote for the plain jane cloth USGI slings. Good for carrying the rifle, EXCELLENT for loop or hasty sling usage for prone, sitting or offhand shooting styles...

I guess I like the simple KISS aspect of it for survival usage, instead of seventy buckles, straps and nylon ends to worry about.
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 11:49:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Currently I have a nylon USGI.

Works fine for basic carry and offhand / kneeling but that VTAC 2 Point is some to really concider!
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I have an IDF sling on both of mine.  The strap is wide and comfortable.
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 8:44:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Blue Force Gear VCAS

+1.

It's a nice 2-point with quick adjustability, which I like mostly because I switch a lot between wearing armor or a plate carier and going slick, but it's still a wonderful feature.  I ended up with two of them.

Single points offer little control of the weapon when doing anything but standing upright.  3-point slings have too much going on, IMO, with webbing everywhere interfering with weapon manipulation.  Traditional 2-pointers aren't adjustable on the fly.  The VCAS made my day.

+2 I have it on one carbine and will be switching my second carbine to it as well.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 5:29:48 AM EDT
[#24]
i found that for my duties the wolf hook type was the best but i didnt like the fact that i had to clip it on and off of my armor all the time so i took a sling and cut in in half the looped it throught the sling attachment at the bottom of my buttstock and then again at the top of the buttstock. this makes a loop at the end of my weapon that i can put over my shoulder, the sling is out of the way and the weapon hangs on my right side. try it you might like it. if i was more PC savvy id post pics. but as always use what works best for you!
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 10:37:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Those of you using the IDF sling, make sure you're comfortable with transitioning to and from slung/aimed with it. I had IDF slings on both of my rifles (they are very comfortable, and very quiet, which I wanted, plus they look cool) until my first practical rifle class. I found that I did not have solid enough control over where the muzzle was pointing during transitions with this style sling, since the paracord is "floppier" than the strap material.

It might be right for you, but make sure you use it enough to become aware of how it handles for you.

I've gone back to the single-point sling until something better (for me) comes along.
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 10:55:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top