Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2016 6:41:56 PM EDT
I primarily fish nymphs.  While I often fish rivers with decent hatches, most of the time, there is little to no surface activity.  Wondering what everyone else uses as a rig.

I prefer to work pocket water, upstream of everyone else.  Working slow pools is a waste of time for me.  I fish a 5wt rod with braided butt section about 4' long, a 12-16" 3x transition and a 4 or 5x tippet that runs 24".  I put a floating indicator (styrofoam twist-on or biostrike) just below the braided section, and a tube of 1" long flyline above the tippet knot.  I fish a dropper about 6" down the tippet.  Finally, I use splitshot (1 or 2 BB tungesten) about 7" above the point fly.  I've dumped bead heads altogether as I end up with a lot of hard and fast snags that I can't work off.

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I only "nymph" fish once and awhile.
When I do use nymphs I use them in 2 ways.
1st, I do similar to you, I use a 9ft 8 wt rod with 2 flies. 1 or 2 is always a yarn egg fly or bead and once and awhile its a nymph. I usually will use a 9 ft tapered leader maybe 0x to 2x depending upon clarity to the first fly. From there I use maybe 12-18" of 6-8lb to the bottom fly. For a bobber I use a 3/4' round foam ball that I peg in place with the end of a round broken off toothpick jammed in the hole. This is the easiest way to adjust depth that I have found. For weight I use 1-2 at the most small split shot. I like to use as few as possible. Often using none.

2nd way I fish nymphs is I use one as a trailer fly. Tied about 18-24" behind a streamer with a section of 6-8lb again. I'll either swing the streamer or strip it in or a combination of both. When fishing thiss way I'm almost always using a 11 1/2 ft switch rod (7wt). Try different things to see what the fish want that day. I have caught fish on stripped and swung egg patterns and nymphs. Sometimes they seem to favor the nymphs/eggs over the streamers other times its the streamer they want. Once I get an Idea what works I may switch up my rig.

I don't spend much time fishing in the the summer. If I do I'm river fishing for smallmouths. I fish the vast majority of my time from ice out till early may then from beginning of Oct to ice up. I fish for lake run browns, rainbows (steelhead) and coho's. I spend probably 60-80 days at a min. a year fishing for this stuff.

There are times when the 1st type of fishing seems to work best then at certain points it sort of switches over to the 2nd type. I enjoy fishing both ways. Its much easier to swing and strip flies than it is to fish the bobber. Lots of concentration on that damn bobber, look away for a second and miss a fish. While swing or stripping you'll know when you hook a fish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top