Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2016 8:51:12 PM EDT
Thinking about getting a SUP for some lake a stream fly fishing. Wondering if anyone has one and can let me know what you think/like/dislike about them.

Particularly interested in how they handle in some wind and waves and also if you use them on a stream/river how they do.

Thanks
J-
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:15:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I have not tried one yet, but I fly fish out of a kayak all winter in FL.  The guys on SUPs love them, till the wind and waves kick up.  Then they head for cover.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:21:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Nah. I just stand in my kayak. That's why I bought the Native Slayer. I'd be too concerned with shit falling over the side on a SUP.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I fish out of my kayak but I am looking at getting a SUP. I still haven't even tried one and plan on trying before I buy.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:48:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nah. I just stand in my kayak. That's why I bought the Native Slayer. I'd be too concerned with shit falling over the side on a SUP.
View Quote

The guys I see using SUPs have a crate lashed down with rod holders in back. Decent storage but no kayak.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd go kayak:

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:24:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Native slayer? How do you like the peddle drive?
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:29:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I've demo'd it and like it, but don't own it...   ...yet.

It's still my top pick, and may "pull the trigger" this summer.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:35:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I tried one at a demo in FL.  Really liked it, but too much $$ for my first, I ended up with a 14' manta ray.  My only bitch with The peddle drive is needing 15" of water to use it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I wouldn't do the Propel for a fly fishing platform. I literally spent years waiting for the "perfect" rig. Trust me when I say the original Slayer is the cleanest and most snag-free kayak. A fly line will get hung up on a gnat's hair. Rod holders, peddles, etc. are just begging to grab your line at the least opportune moment.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:21:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm looking at kayaks too, but if all things are equal, the weight of the board/kayak is deciding factor.

Less that 30lbs for a SUP (Bote Rackham) and around 75lbs for a kayak. I fish mostly alone and will be hauling it on top of my PU Cap, a lot of places I fish have at least 1/2 mile walk in from the parking area and since I fish mostly alone I will have to paddle back to where I have to park (which on a river would be paddling back upstream).

I'm still open to either, I just have to figure out what will work for me.

J-
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 8:53:40 AM EDT
[#11]
The weight is a factor for sure. My 14' yak is a heavy pig.  I did get a pretty cool cart for it, some of my launches take a 100 yd hump, and 72 lbs on a single handle sucks to carry.  The cart folds and fits in my hull.

There is a fair amount of gear to get down to the water with either sup or yak.  Rods, tackle,paddle, anchor, life jacket, cooler with beer/water.  You get the idea.  SUP wins for sure going on a roof rack.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 8:57:20 AM EDT
[#12]
The weight is definitely a factor. My Slayer is about 75# and I'm willing to bet the Propel is heavier. Does the Propel have the aft wheel? That comes in handy if you have solid ground.

I hate putting the yak on the truck but I have it down to a science. I may go full-time to the trailer, though. It may be science but it ain't exactly fun.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:36:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The weight is definitely a factor. My Slayer is about 75# and I'm willing to bet the Propel is heavier. Does the Propel have the aft wheel? That comes in handy if you have solid ground.

I hate putting the yak on the truck but I have it down to a science. I may go full-time to the trailer, though. It may be science but it ain't exactly fun.
View Quote

I'm getting a trailer next year.  Rooftopping my yak on a tall SUV is getting old solo.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:58:32 AM EDT
[#14]
I've been using the Harbor Freight folding trailer since about 2013. It's got a deck and LED lights on it now. I have the 14' Slayer.

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Take a look at the Superfishal by Jackson Kayak. Badfish also makes an inflatable fishing SUP that looks pretty good.
The Botes are lovely, but I'd be wary running one of them in the rocky rivers we have here in central Texas. Some SUPs are built just like surfboards and they can break.

Also, it will take some practice to get a SUP in the surf. I went out for the first time last weekend and it was TOUGH.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 5:26:30 PM EDT
[#16]
This is now a kayak picture thread. Sorry OP

14' manta ray in upper Tampa bay

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:38:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This is now a kayak picture thread. Sorry OP

14' manta ray in upper Tampa bay

<a href="http://s113.photobucket.com/user/DVCER/media/A82226BA-A54D-4053-AEDA-42DDC5263397_zps1yxja7o0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n237/DVCER/A82226BA-A54D-4053-AEDA-42DDC5263397_zps1yxja7o0.jpg</a>
View Quote

NP, Nice looking rig! I'm open to a kayak too.

J-
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:36:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, since this is a kayak photo thread now...

Note: This is a rare moment where I had a camera mount. It does a great job of fouling the fly line so I seldom use it. The flag only goes up when I'm crossing open water (it folds over).

Waiting for the flood tide

Fish on!

w00t!
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:20:42 PM EDT
[#19]
SUP are one dimensional. Kayaks are much more versatile.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:08:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
SUP are one dimensional. Kayaks are much more versatile.
View Quote

And if you go yak, don't be tempted by the big box store ones.  They suck. I tried. The seating in the cheap yaks is so bad I couldn't sit in it more than an hour.

Native, Jackson, Hobie are all good choices. There are lots of good ones out there in the used market that go for 500-2000.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top