Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2016 10:09:19 PM EDT
How would a 49 yr old who has very limited fishing experience (as in an occasional bass or bluegill) learn how to fly fish? All advice appreciated, thanks!
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 10:26:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Take lessons at Cabelas or other sporting goods place. Take a college class on fly fishing. Go on a fishing vacation with a fly fishing guide/instructor. Find a fly fishing friend who will teach you. Its not that hard. Your not even close to being too old. I am learning to ride a horse and I'm 69.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 10:31:14 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're considering fly fishing, try Orvis, they have a couple free classes on fly fishing. Took them last spring worth the time. Oh, and I am quickly pushing 63.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 10:52:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Pick up a cheap but good (reddington or equivalent) rod and reel combo. Ask the guy at the counter to take a few minutes to show you the basics of casting.

Kiss all your free time goodbye, because you will be practicing/putting bugs on the water with every free moment. No need to get crazy with waders or gear until you know what your doing. Just fish from shore, or Wade in bare foot/flip flop.

Enjoy. (With a big ass cigar and a flask of bourbon).
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 11:10:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I went to a four day class at an Orvis 'school' it gave me a all the fundamentals and practical application, about 1/3 classroom, 1/3 field casting, 1/3 fishing with dry and wet flies.

To me it was well worth the money.

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 11:27:24 PM EDT
[#5]
If you were in NV, I'd take you fishing and show you. Lots of guys would. See if there's a fishing club in your area and hook up with someone that knows how to fly fish.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 11:55:24 PM EDT
[#6]
It's not that hard.  Get the stuff, find a spot on some grass, practice 'till you can do it well enough.  
Go fly fish for bluegill and bass in a pond.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 10:15:23 AM EDT
[#7]
It is not rocket science.  You could become 90% proficient in about two days.  The last 10% takes a lifetime.  Hire a guide for a day and go from there.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 8:53:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had a number of clients who recently retired and wanted to try flyfishing. A couple got the bug bad and are really getting after it. others only fish occasionally.

A school is a great place to start. I spend the first couple hours, and some times all day, trying to break bad habits of the self taught. Learn it right from the start and you won't hit a wall later as you progress.

The best advice I can give you is learn to use technique not strength. I tell all of my clients that fly fishing is a thinking mans game. Think before you start your cast and your casting will be more successful. Most people only focus on where they want the fly to go. Focus on where the fly is, where it needs to go and how it is going to get there. If you do this you will avoid the all too common collision between the fly, flyline and everything around it.

I know TMI but you have to start somewhere...

Oh yes, relax and enjoy!
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:23:56 PM EDT
[#9]
There are a crazy amount of video's on youtube on how to fly cast.  The gold standard is Lefty Kreh...he has great video's and breaks down the fly casting principles to a very easy to understand level.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 5:27:56 AM EDT
[#10]
http://www.orvis.com/flyfishing101

Good place to start for the basics from casting to rigging to knots to reading water etc. You can look up classes in your area at the link.

Another choice is to get a hold of your local Trout Unlimited chapter (google the local one to you and send them an email). I bet there would be several members that would be willing to show you the ropes.

It truly is not as hard as it looks. I taught myself how to cast years ago and have fine tuned my cast with some classes over the years.

Hope this helps

J-
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:05:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Find a local fly shop and take some lessons. Shouldn't be that hard in TN. They can help you get started so it's less frustrating. When I started I bought a very nice rod off a forum. Unfortunately, I couldn't do shit with it. After a lesson I realized it was the wrong one for me. I changed rods and my casting improved tenfold. I can use that first one now but before it was driving me nuts.

One thing to remember is that less is more. Too many people try to power the cast which just fucks up the loop. Let the line do its job. In traditional fishing the weight of the lure pulls the line off the spool. In fly fishing its the weight of the line (and it's already off the spool). Watch the line to see what it's doing.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 9:10:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, just walk into a shop and tell them you want to try it out.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the advice!
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:11:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:49:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I just started this year. I probably need to take some casting lessons and learn a little more about selecting the right rod for the river I'm fishing. But I've been catching trout.  I've only been using wet flies-streamers in faster water of the river here (South Branch Potomac).
View Quote

There isn't any real science to selecting the "right rod"; it's all just personal preference.  I do most of my work close in and prefer a slow-action rod because I can load it up well with only a short stretch of line out.  If it's windy or I'm on big water, I may use a medium speed rod.  Really, for trout, I can do just fine with one rod, and it's not that important what the speed of it is.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:22:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
http://www.orvis.com/flyfishing101

Good place to start for the basics from casting to rigging to knots to reading water etc. You can look up classes in your area at the link.

Another choice is to get a hold of your local Trout Unlimited chapter (google the local one to you and send them an email). I bet there would be several members that would be willing to show you the ropes.

It truly is not as hard as it looks. I taught myself how to cast years ago and have fine tuned my cast with some classes over the years.

Hope this helps

J-
View Quote

^ this!   the Orvis in-store 101 and 102 classes are free, I took the two day class at Orvis Sandanona link and it was well worth it
they have stores and school/camps scattered across the country good luck!
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#17]
As stated previously, get some lessons to help cut down the learning curve. Then I would find someone that has experience and go fish with them often. Or you could always go with a guide for the specific purpose of learning. Back when I really wanted to learn how to steelhead fish none of my friends really did. I had chatted with this one guide on a fly-fishing site multiple times and knew he did steelhead guiding. Wanting to get a lot of technical information on the subject I decided to book a trip with him for the specific purpose of learning and if I caught some fish too great.

To make a long story short not only did I learn a ton of valuable information, I managed to hook 9 and land 7. As we were driving back he thanked me for actually listening and wanting to learn. He told me that I wouldn't believe how many guys say they want to learn on the phone but once on the water they don't listen. For me the knowledge I was able to gain and put to use in the subsequent years was well worth the 500 dollars plus tip.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 4:57:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Take a one-day intro class to fly fishing.  It's not difficult, requires no strength (it's all timing), and is a great way to interact with the outdoors.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 10:19:40 PM EDT
[#19]
To learn the casting aspects, check out the IFFF site at http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Contact/Locate/CastingInstructors/tabid/301/Default.aspx to find an instructor. Private lessons are much more efficient (IMHO) than mass classes.

To learn to catch fish, check out your local fly fishing club. Most of us are passionate about the sport and enjoy passing our knowledge on to others. Not all local clubs are affiliated with the IFFF but you can start finding one at http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Contact/Locate/ClubsCouncils/tabid/475/Default.aspx

Link Posted: 6/19/2016 11:04:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
To learn the casting aspects, check out the IFFF site at http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Contact/Locate/CastingInstructors/tabid/301/Default.aspx to find an instructor. Private lessons are much more efficient (IMHO) than mass classes.

To learn to catch fish, check out your local fly fishing club. Most of us are passionate about the sport and enjoy passing our knowledge on to others. Not all local clubs are affiliated with the IFFF but you can start finding one at http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Contact/Locate/ClubsCouncils/tabid/475/Default.aspx

View Quote

Excellent links. I say that because I came to post the same instructor link.

Do it, OP! You'll have a blast!

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 6:36:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I picked it up a year or so ago(at 30)

I went out on my own and it was a disaster. It's not easy in any regard.

So hired a guide and we went out and it was fantastic. I learned a ton and was applying it to real world situations.

Classroom or fly shop classes are cheaper but most I've seen are off the water.

Being one on one with a pro although frustrating for them probably is in my opinion the best way. A fish or 2 is a bonus but he water reading and casting instruction is top notch l.

A few more guided trips and I am more than comfortable on my own

Fly shops are your biggest resource. They are a wealth of knowledge and all great guys and gals from my experience happy to help
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 7:01:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I picked it up a year or so ago(at 30)

I went out on my own and it was a disaster. It's not easy in any regard.

So hired a guide and we went out and it was fantastic. I learned a ton and was applying it to real world situations.

Classroom or fly shop classes are cheaper but most I've seen are off the water.

Being one on one with a pro although frustrating for them probably is in my opinion the best way. A fish or 2 is a bonus but he water reading and casting instruction is top notch l.

A few more guided trips and I am more than comfortable on my own

Fly shops are your biggest resource. They are a wealth of knowledge and all great guys and gals from my experience happy to help
View Quote

Any guide who is experienced and even slightly good will not get frustrated with newbie clients. As a guide you learn quickly that a clients ability, or lack there of, is not a reflection of your abilities. If you can't get that through your head you won't be a guide for long. Clients pick up on things like that and will pass that info on.

I get a lot of clients this time of the year who have never fly fished. They are often much easier to get into fish because they don't think they know how to cast. An open mind is an easy mind to teach.

The only thing that I find frustrating is a client that does not respect the resource. I had one client tell me she wasn't going to count any steelhead under 20" so I better get her bigger fish. When she tried to rebook me the following year for 4 days I was surprisingly "booked" for every date she wanted. She was pissed and I could care less... If you want to return, don't be that client.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#23]
do not buy the setups at walmart for starting.

get a better rod with less play at the tip than the Martin? 9 footer 5-6 weight.

ask me how I know :)  double hauling nightmare....

don't do it:

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 7:10:32 PM EDT
[#24]
good luck!!!

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 7:20:00 PM EDT
[#25]
grab your rod and practice in the backyard without a leader.  put a garbage can lid on the ground and get your line "on it" with cast practicing
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top