Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2016 12:15:25 PM EDT
I picked up fly fishing last year and have to Cabelas outfits, one is a 3 weight I use for panfish in small ponds, and a 5 weight.  I probably should have gotten a 7 or 8 weight instead of the 5 to be honest, as we just have stocked trout around here twice a year.  Anyways, I am looking for something to use for smallmouth and largemouth.  I would like to stay near $200 for the rod and reel.  Largemouth around here aren't crazy big, 5 lbs would be a very nice fish.  We do have a ton of carp around here that I can target as well.  So what in the $200-$250 price range should I look at for targeting bass and carp?
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 12:25:20 PM EDT
[#1]
For bass, I use a St Croix 6wt... It was a hair over $100... Then I picked up a $125 Okuma reel. Both from Cabelas. I also use it for stocked browns/rainbows and brookies. I'm sure it'd have the finesse needed for carp... But probably not the backbone...
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 1:24:00 PM EDT
[#2]
L.L. Beans  has some nice rods
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 2:22:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Your 5wt will handle the bass fine enough. Not that I'm trying to talk you out of a new rod.....

Cabelas combos can be had in your price range fairly easily. link
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 2:33:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree with Lungbuster. I don't see the need to use much more than your 5. I certainly don't think you need a 7- or 8-weight. I throw an 8 for saltwater (reds, trout, etc).
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Will the 5 weight handle bigger flies like frogs, bigger woolly buggers, and clousers?  I'm honestly asking because I don't know.  I will be fishing a bigger river from a boat more often than wading if it makes a difference.

ETA: Also, what about carp?  I use to bowfish this river heavily and can get on carp pretty easily on days that other fishing is slow, getting them to take a fly is another story.  But it's something I would like to try and have a chance at landing.  10-15 lb carp are common, with 5-10 being average.  When we did tournaments our big 10 weigh in would be a 15 or 20lb average.  I'm not saying I would target carp this big, but it is a possibility.  Grass carp are also fairly easy to find.

I don't want it to come off like I am trying to talk myself in to a rod and not taking anyone's advice, I just want to open up my fly fishing options in a place that only has stocked trout once or twice a year, and be sure I have the proper rod to do it.

Link Posted: 3/7/2016 10:51:16 PM EDT
[#6]
The size of rod you will need will be dictated by the size of bass and the flies you will be throwing. A 5wt is on the light side for serious bas fishing. Throwing big deer hair poppers is tough to do on a 5 wt. Most of the serious bass guys I know use 7's & 8's.

My understanding is carp can get big and are tough so a 7 or 8wt should be good.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm going to be near an Orvis when we go out of town for a decoy show this weekend. We are going to try and make time to stop in so I can check out the Encounter and Clearwater outfits.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree on an 8wt. Those big bass flies are mostly why
Putting enough pressure on a 15lb carp will also be hard on the 5wt and not a whole lot of fun for your wrist without a fighting butt. Something common on 7-8wt+ rods but not on a 5. Here's a good shootout of different 8wts: yellowstone angler 8 wt shootout 2016

I have two (a 5 and 8wt) of the winner for inexpensive rods (Fenwick Aetos) and I really like them as a novice.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 12:44:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Well I didn't make it to Orvis yet, but I found a St Croix 8wt on ebay for a decent price.  Now I just need a reel, line, and backing.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 4:23:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Take a look at the Allen kraken reel. 209$ and salt water safe. I like mine so far just playing with it but haven't fished it yet.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I like a 5-6wt.  I fish out of a canoe mostly, and closing the distance is pretty easy, so hucking big flies isn't too big of a deal.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:32:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I just picked up a rig for bass @ Cabelas

Cabelas LSi 8wt FLY ROD  - $139 with 25% points rebate
Ross? CLA -  $137.00  

I just learned to fly fish this weekend (Steelhead) and I am hooked.  I am looking forward to summer bass on the fly rod.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:42:41 PM EDT
[#13]
TFO rods are the nutz.  Priced well below their performance level.  Medium fast action for forgiveness, faster for distance and precision.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:27:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I wouldn't worry so much about the name on the rod as much as how the action of that rod fits your style. I had a TFO Mangrove in an 8wt that was a good rod, but was very uncomfortable for me to cast. I sold it to a buddy and he loves it. Even within rod familes, you may find differences. My 8wt Sage Salt is a decent rod, but I cast my 8wt Sage Xi3 so much better.

I like 5-7 weight rods for bass. I mostly go with the 5 as I can also use it for trout up on the Guadalupe.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 1:19:41 AM EDT
[#15]
pick up a discontinued Scott A4 7wt. Will throw just about anything you want and should be able to fine left over stock at a good price (might be alittle more that your 200-250 price range though).

J-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top