Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2016 9:40:38 PM EDT
We are going to do a 2 day float at the coast. We will over night on the river fishing 2 rivers over the two days. We are bringing a photographer to shoot a video. Hopefully the fish cooperate and we get some good video. I have always wanted to catch a fish on the first river we are fishing. I love winter Steelheading. Big fish on big water leads to big smiles!

This is going to be epic!

The line up:

Beulah 12'4" 8wt Platinum Spey
Sage 13'6" 7wt One
Sage 11'6" 8wt One Switch

Lines on the Spey rods will vary by the type of water we fish but will likely be Skagits and Intermediate Skagits. The 8wt Switch is loaded with an 8wt Switch Chucker and is set up for nymph fishing while we travel down river. All reels are Bauer Rouge or RX's.

River levels are almost perfect, high, dropping and clearing.

03:30 departure tomorrow.

Adios!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6seFV6Cb254&feature=youtu.be
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:06:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Tight lines! Can't wait for the AAR.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:40:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds awesome!!!! DYI or going with a guide (who)?

I got a buddy that's fishing the OP over the next week.

Looking forward to pics.

J-
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#4]
In.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:02:09 PM EDT
[#5]
We are back from the trip and in typical winter steelhead fashion, it was tough. The first river we fished was low and clear, really clear. I only saw one fish the whole day and it was moving upstream fast. In these conditions the fish bolt from one deep slot to the next. I also broke my Sage One trying to free a snag on the first run! Oh yes, don't forget to put your zipper up on your waders. That one cost me two days in wet waders... We made the confluence of the second river around 4 pm Monday. My buddy Jon hooked and landed one cromer right before dinner. I will let you watch the video and you tell me how he did it!

The second river was high. Even though it was @ 2,000 cfs above ideal we were still able to find water to swing. Getting the right combination for the flow and depth made it challenging. Yet on our third run of the day I was able to raise a fish. Unfortunately it didn't stick due to me pulling the trigger a little early.

It was an awesome trip with some good friends and a few good casts by me. I don't count the crap casts I made which were quite a few. I will definitely be doing this trip again in better water conditions.

I will post the video when it is done.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:22:04 PM EDT
[#6]
TAG!
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:47:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I also broke my Sage One
View Quote

I just cried a little.

Looking forward to the video.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I just cried a little.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I also broke my Sage One

I just cried a little.

Especially when it happens half way through the first run of the first day...

Video should be ready the end of next week. Hopefully I am not a total hack. Well I am but they can edit out the crap casts. The first run below the canyon had @ 15 mph wind strait down stream. I could not put together a decent double spey with the set up I needed to get down. I had to use my snap T which was scary with that wind. But when the wind caught that cast right it just sailed. Fortunately I didn't bury the massive intruder in the side of my face.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:33:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I just cried a little.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I also broke my Sage One

I just cried a little.

RIP,lol

Sounds like a nice trip. A bad day swinging flies for steel is better than the best day at work!

J-
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 9:11:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Here is the video from the trip. It is 22 minute +-. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/6seFV6Cb254
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 8:51:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 11:50:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the assist. I am and probably will remain not so tech savvy...
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 4:01:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:28:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Oops.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 3:39:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I really need to get out there one of these years.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is really pretty cool! Our system has some great fish. This season will probably be my last as a guide. I am moving on to bigger and better things.

What that means is I may get some fishing in for myself! Just let me know if you ever head out this way...
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:17:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It is really pretty cool! Our system has some great fish. This season will probably be my last as a guide. I am moving on to bigger and better things.

What that means is I may get some fishing in for myself! Just let me know if you ever head out this way...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, glad it's your last year as a guide because I don't fish with guides

I'll see about planning something for the next run out there and let you know.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Get out here in Sept or Oct and I will get you into steelhead. That is if I am not booked or working in the winery. Plan ahead for best results...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top