Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2015 6:17:51 PM EDT
I've been on the fence for a while. I've got nice Sage and Lamson reels but for some reason I find myself lusting after a Hatch. I've heard really good things about their drag and the startup inertia. Since I've broken fish off before it might be dreamy.

So my LFS is having a 20% sale and I've got a $50 gift certificate I won and a couple of gift cards. Basically it'd drop my out-of-pocket to about 50% of retail.

Two things I like in addition to the drag are the no-fee warranty and the fact that everything (including the foot) is machined out of a single block of aluminum. Even the Tibor I looked at has a screw-on foot.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with them. This is for saltwater use fwiw.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:25:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've been on the fence for a while. I've got nice Sage and Lamson reels but for some reason I find myself lusting after a Hatch. I've heard really good things about their drag and the startup inertia. Since I've broken fish off before it might be dreamy.

So my LFS is having a 20% sale and I've got a $50 gift certificate I won and a couple of gift cards. Basically it'd drop my out-of-pocket to about 50% of retail.

Two things I like in addition to the drag are the no-fee warranty and the fact that everything (including the foot) is machined out of a single block of aluminum. Even the Tibor I looked at has a screw-on foot.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with them. This is for saltwater use fwiw.
View Quote

They are bombproof and with what you would be getting off its a no brainer for saltwater and cold water/steelhead/salmon/Musky etc.

I have a 7+ on my Swtich rod, a 7+ on my saltwater 8wt, a 9+ on 13ft Spey and a 9+ on my saltwater 10wt. I'm gradually switching all my rods over to Hatches when my Ross reels wear out or need replacing. Thinking about putting a 5+ in the limited edition black/green on my 1piece 7'6 smallie rod and def gonna put one on my musky rod by next year, just need to justify replacing the CLA5 on it right now, lol.

Start up inertia is awesome, the sealed drag is perfect for steelhead and saltwater and even if water gets in (had one reel do this and it would squeel when cold, the drag cartridge is easy to take out, dry and re-seal). My buddy's shop sell a boat load of Hatches and he's a Hatch Pro and I can think of maybe 1 reel that has had to go back through the shop in the last 5 years and I think that was a user error issue (bent frame).

Look at my post in the "first steelhead of the year" thread both the Steelhead and Laker that I posted were on Hatches with not a single issue. The Lakers were in the Niagara River and we could turn em no problem with the drag.

J-
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:43:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Exactly what I needed. Much obliged!
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:17:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a lot of them show up on the boat. I have never seen one cause an issue while fighting a fish. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I fent.

I was going to put the line on last night and then I decided I don't want to spool all that backing. The line itself isn't a big deal but I'll take her back to the shop tomorrow to dress her up a bit.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:10:37 PM EDT
[#5]
NICE!!

J-
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:52:46 PM EDT
[#6]
You won't be sorry! The only thing that has kept me from buying one is the fact that Bauer is local to me. That and the fact that Jon is a very nice guy has led me to acquiring more Bauers than I should admit to.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#7]

I did look at the CFX. It's a nice reel but I like to put hands on stuff and the nearest dealer is almost 3 hours away. The Hatch is downright sexy, though. And the sale brought the price closer to the Bauer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top