Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2015 12:15:50 PM EDT
Let's spice it up a bit here, this board needs some posts.

Okay guys, what do you prefer?

Me personally, I'm kind of partial to small arbors myself.

I know a LOT depends on the rods, water, size fish, etc.

I tend to fish 7'6" to 8'6" rods. Small water, 3 and 4 wt. rods. Really all my reels do is hold the line, no real fighting big fish with the drag, etc.

I have an older click pawl Battenkill and newer Battenkill small arbors and a couple of large arbors, Orvis Clearwater and Echo Ion.

What do others have and use?

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Older Ross and an Orvis Battenkill but one Vanquish.

I like the large arbor but wouldn't go out of my way just to drop money on a line holder.

That said my rods are 8.5s and a 9; 4 and 5 weight.

Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:10:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I have fished and owned a lot of small arbor reels. For a lot of fishing they are perfect and they have that classic look I like. My small stream trout reels are all small arbor.

On big rivers like the Rogue I only fish large arbor reels for steelhead. You only have to loose one big fish to increased drag as the arbor gets smaller to make that switch. There is that much difference.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a LA Battenkill, but it brings me no joy.  On the rare occasion where I get into a big fish, it gives up line with an indifferent silence.

So I prefer the older click-pawl reels.  The one I love dearest is a well-worn and battered Hardy Princess.  She squeals with great peals of delight, and the drag is perfectly adequate.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 8:22:21 AM EDT
[#4]
For me, fresh = small and salt = large. When that monster tarpon hits the line and I want to be able to reel in as much as I can at a time. Not that I'll ever see a tarpon, but I'm ready!

Link Posted: 10/25/2015 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#5]
All of my reels are small arbor.  Not that I've ever had a fish take me into the backing, its there for that reason.  A couple times I have used the rim of the reel to brake or apply pressure.  

I really like the old Ryall reels.  i've gathered up a small collection on them in all the sizes I would use.  i also have an Abel 0.5 - that and a Hardy featherweight were my first "premium" reels.  I still use both, but the Abel has a week spot on the drag in that it needs adjusted if the reel gets wet.  Also have a few older Pfluegers, all with "OnePfoot" upgrades so I can use them on my newer rods.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 8:01:24 PM EDT
[#6]
If the outer diameter is the same between small/larger arbor reels, the small holds more backing and the rate line gets picked up is the same
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 9:50:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Unless I know I'm going to be fishing for larger trout or stripers I use a small arbor reel.  For the big stuff I like large arbor reels typically because they have a beefier drag and hold more backing.  There is absolutely nothing better than having a 8lb Lake Powell striper run you deep into your backing.  It take a reel with a heavy drag to keep those big boys in check.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 8:35:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll always choose large arbor simply because I never take the line off my reels for storage and it takes less of a set on a large arbor.  I like Okuma SLV's...they have a classic look, awesome drag, huge arbor, and are dirt cheap!

Dave
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll always choose large arbor simply because I never take the line off my reels for storage and it takes less of a set on a large arbor.  I like Okuma SLV's...they have a classic look, awesome drag, huge arbor, and are dirt cheap!

Dave
View Quote

I've beat up my SLV but it's like a Timex. Great reel with a great price.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 6:01:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dave

I had a bunch of them but got sick of them winding in line every time I cast.  I've sold all but one and am going to be selling that as soon as I find a spare spool for the Guru that replaced it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 8:16:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I've heard good things about the Guru also. I've got a Konic which is nice.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:39:40 PM EDT
[#12]
If two reels have the same size rim diameter, I'll take the small arbor reel as it will hold more backing, which makes it a more versatile reel.

If I can run only 7/8wt line on the large arbor reel or 5-8wt line on the small arbor reel, why on earth would I limit myself by going with the larger arbor reel?!  Both reels, when full, will take in line at exactly the same rate, one simply has more backing or more fly line filling the arbor.

Although I've owned a lot of Tibor/Abel/Charlton/Etc. reels in the past, I only have the mid-arbor (the smallest of their two offerings) Hatch reels now as they are able to handle more line sizes than the larger arbor version of the same model reel.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:10:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If two reels have the same size rim diameter, I'll take the small arbor reel as it will hold more backing, which makes it a more versatile reel.
View Quote

But if you're fishing small water and don't need backing, please tell me the difference between a large arbor and a small arbor with backing?  More shit to buy?  More connections?  Not to mention, it's nice to balance your reel to your rod.  By your logic, I should just go buy a 9/10 weight reel for my 7'6" 3 weight and put 400 yards of backing on it.  Which would make for a shitty casting, unbalanced outfit.  But you do what you want I guess...

I guess that's what you have to do when you feel the need to buy $400 and up reels though.  I can afford to buy a reel to match each of my 10 rods.  I have absolutely no desire to use unmatched, albeit expensive, equipment.  I don't want a big reel with a pile of backing if I'm going after <14" trout in a small stream...
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 11:31:26 PM EDT
[#14]
This all comes back to where and what your fishing for.
If your dinking around for little trout in a stream thats as wide as a bath tub and about as deep then by all means go to a small arbor.
If your chasing fish that do get you into your backing or you have the off chance of hooking into something that can do some serious damage than large arbor.
I've caught steelhead in small streams that you could get away a small arbor only cause the fish would stay in the small pool that he was hooked in.
If he ran downstream with the current large or small arbor didn't matter, he was gone unless you could keep up with him. Its a matter of getting tangled in brush, trees and what not, not the size of the reel arbor.

I fish for bigger stuff that can a do take me into my backing.
Nothing moves as fast as a fresh from the lake spring steelhead in high fast spring melt runoff when she feels the hook and decides that she would rather be back in Lake Michigan. I have been into my backing in a couple of seconds with no choice but to run/swim after her if you wanted a chance.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 1:06:47 AM EDT
[#15]
The only reel that I currently own that isn't a large arbor is my Ari T Hart Traun F1. I currently use it with a 3wt. I also have about 10 miles of backing on the thing to fill up the spool a bit.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The only reel that I currently own that isn't a large arbor is my Ari T Hart Traun F1. I currently use it with a 3wt. I also have about 10 miles of backing on the thing to fill up the spool a bit.
View Quote

I have a 4wt on my F1. It feels almost silly but I love that reel.

Long and short of it is, buy the reel you like. Large arbor or small most people will never get to test the bottom half of their backing.

My next fun reel will be a Hardy Taupo. All of my work reels are Bauers. I just want quality and don't worry about the petty little stuff...
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 5:46:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Long and short of it is, buy the reel you like. Large arbor or small most people will never get to test the bottom half of their backing.

My next fun reel will be a Hardy Taupo. All of my work reels are Bauers. I just want quality and don't worry about the petty little stuff...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, it is almost silly having that reel on a 3wt. but i also like mine. Almost as silly as having a Galvan OB1 for my SPL and SLT 0wt. rods. The only thing I don't like about my F1 is that it's the older model that has the half circle of metal on the face instead of the full circle. Sometimes my line will get caught up on it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 7:11:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a Battenkill LA that sits on the shelf.  My go-to reel is a beat up Hardy Princess click pawl.  I love that reel.  Hook a decent trout, and she sings beautifully.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 10:55:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
For me, fresh = small and salt = large. When that monster tarpon hits the line and I want to be able to reel in as much as I can at a time. Not that I'll ever see a tarpon, but I'm ready!

View Quote

the way I look at it (Large does help with tarpon, ).

Most freshwater reels are just line holders anyways and I strip in most fish short of musky, large pike, salmon and steelhead.

J-
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:59:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Dave
View Quote

Great reels, have three of them ! As far as arbor size, I've never wished I had less line when a big bluefish starts peeling off . Large arbor always.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Both of mine are older, so I'm guessing they are small Arbor.
Sage 106M made in England, and a Leeda RimFly Concept 395 also made in England. Both still work great after 20+ years.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:31:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Whatever is cool, clean, well machined, classic, feels good, sounds good and makes you happy.  The fish tend not to care.  Just have enough backing for the species you target.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm liking my new Allen Kraken I've got on an 8wt. Fully sealed. Handle can free spin so the handle slap to pick up stripped line works. I like it a lot for my pyramid lake setup. As a bonus it's a large arbor with a V shaped spool. Thing holds 220y of 30lb backing and still has free room after the teensy t350.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:37:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Large arbor for reels using shooting head lines.  The larger arbor puts less coil in the line making fishing much more fun.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:34:57 AM EDT
[#25]
My first 'better than a pflueger medalist' reel was a Ross (Cimarron I think) - small arbor reel for my 6 wt.  Then next reels I bought were all large arbor reels - the reels for both my 2 wt and my 8 wt are Teton LA reels, for my 4 wt and my 5 wt I have older Galvan OB series reels.   I have sink tip line on the old Ross intending to use the 6wt as a streamer rod- but I haven't tried it out yet.  I prefer the LA reels - but it may just be that the drag is better quality than my old Ross.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top