Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2015 11:56:07 AM EDT
So I've spin and conventional fished for a while and took up fly fishing a few months back. Caught a bunch of smaller fish (bass and rainbows under 12") on down to 5x tippet and never had to worry about playing them. So last weekend I took a trip up to panguitich to get some practice at playing larger fish. First cast I picked up a 17" rainbow and was amazed at how different fighting it was. I had my drag set really light and let my stripped line flow through my fingers at first to get it on the spool. I hooked up a bunch more and had a few break offs due to mistakes like thinking the fish was done (could see it slightly flounder) and then it ran right as my hand hit the handle.. :( I landed a few smaller fish that day but I definitely lost some nicer fish then the first.

Any tips for someone learning how to play larger fish on a fly rod? I wasn't sure if I should be letting the rod tip dip towards the fish while it ran or if pumping the rod was a terrible idea.. How do you time when to reel, etc..

And picture! My husky was curious about his new friend.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 12:15:54 PM EDT
[#1]
First off, what rod and reel are you using? Rod length, weight, etc. Reel brand and model. Also, what are the typical sizes of the fish you intend on catching. Obviously, a 17" rainbow is already in the net

Whats the typical size in the streams you fish?

Nice rainbow by the way!
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 1:43:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh sorry, its a Fenwick Aetos 9' 5wt and an Okuma SLV 5/6 with Rio Gold Wf5f. I typically use whatever cheap 9' leaders I can find and Rio flouro tippet. The Fenwick is listed as a fast action but many reviews called it more medium-fast with a softer tip.

My typical catch size is around that size as I haven't hit any places with larger fish yet. I do plan on making a few trips to northern Nevada like pyramid where 30lb cutthroat are taken. But I want to learn more before and of course I'll need a 7-8wt.

I do mostly still water as southern nv and Utah is mostly still and creeks. But I do try and like to fish smaller moving water as long as the fish are over 14-15"
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I generally get line back onto the reel in a hurry when I hookup and anything that isn't obviously small.

On a very big fish, when it starts to run, I just point the rod at it and let him run.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 1:16:00 AM EDT
[#4]
For something that size, keep the rod at about a 90 degree angle to the direction the fish wants to go.  Don't pump.  Having the rod at a right angle is supposed to make it turn its head trying to swim away, and it will tire a little quicker.  If you intend to release it, do not "play" it too long.  It will build up lactic acids in the muscle and will not be able to recover after releasing it.
It really is a feel thing, as far as letting it run.  I think you don't generally get to that point until they are at least about 24".  Just try to maintain a fairly even pressure and they will tire soon enough.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:01:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For something that size, keep the rod at about a 90 degree angle to the direction the fish wants to go.  Don't pump.  Having the rod at a right angle is supposed to make it turn its head trying to swim away, and it will tire a little quicker.  If you intend to release it, do not "play" it too long.  It will build up lactic acids in the muscle and will not be able to recover after releasing it.
It really is a feel thing, as far as letting it run.  I think you don't generally get to that point until they are at least about 24".  Just try to maintain a fairly even pressure and they will tire soon enough.
View Quote

Ahh ok, I did some reading over the weekend on the "down and dirty" technique and how you're supposed to use the butt of the rod to fight it and keep constant pressure. It makes sense! It sounds like you want to break the fish mentally with the constant pressure and land it quicker then letting it completely exhausted itself?

I also did some knot tests and found I wasn't consistently tieing good leader to tippet knots. I switched to the orvis tippet knot and my stress testing on a scale was tons better. Most my break offs were at the double uni or the improved clinch at the fly. The improved clinch just needs to be thoroughly wet for flouro tippet and my weakness problems went away there too.

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#6]
OP, also check out YouTube and Vimeo for good fly/trout fishing videos.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had a couple good fish over the years that buried themselves firmly under a rock or log.  In those cases, I let the line go completely slack for a couple 3-5 minutes.  They'll either be gone at that point or have moved somewhat, and then you can renew the fight.

Had one a couple weeks ago that hid under boulder above me.  When I put tension back on the line, he went around the front of the rock, then turned south and blasted past me.  I had to go scrambling upstream in deep water, work my line out of whatever crevice he managed to lay it in, then stumble back downstream in pursuit (where he again put my line around another rock).
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 9:57:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Ouch, I had a tiger do something like that last go around. Heavy weeds/grass and he went under it and wrapped the line on something. He didnt break me off due to it being only about 2lbs and eventually (after 2-3 minutes) I ended up pulling him free on 5x tippet. reallly surprised I didnt break him off pulling him out though as he started fighting and I had another 2-3lbs of weeds on my line..

Both came home with me, I wont lay them on stuff if I plan on releasing.

edit: I forgot to say, I've had much much better luck since I made this thread! I've been tying surgeons knots for tippet to line and palomars for the fly itself and my breakage issues have gone away. 5x tippet feels as strong as 3x did before. I've still lost a few fish on 6x and 7x, but these were 18-20" and VERY healthy fighters. Nothing to be ashamed about I suppose. :)

Link Posted: 10/25/2015 8:31:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Pumping is a bad idea.  Unless you wnpant broken leaders and lost fish.  
If the fish is running a lot, yet big enough to  bring in fairly easily, keep the rod at about a 90 degree angle to the direction it wants to go.  This will help tire it more quickly so it can be released sooner, with less stress to the fish.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If the fish is running a lot, yet big enough to  bring in fairly easily, keep the rod at about a 90 degree angle to the direction it wants to go.  This will help tire it more quickly so it can be released sooner, with less stress to the fish.
View Quote

Yes and no. On large fish pumping, aka short stroking, is a very valuable technique. I will go further and say I have seen more big fish lost by anglers following your 90 degree rule. On a large and difficult fish I tell my clients to never let the fish rest. As soon as they settle in, usually using the current against you, you need to change up. Even if the fish is deep constantly changing up will keep them off balance. A constant 90 degree angle allows them to set their body against the current and relax. Your job is to prevent them from relaxing. That is how you land big fish fast.

I have video of a client fighting a big fish from a couple weeks ago. He was fighting from a relatively static position. As soon as I told him to start changing angles hard left, hard right, the fish started moving. Those moves are the only way this fish would have been landed.

If I can get it uploaded I'll post it up for your viewing.

Tight lines.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 12:35:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yes and no. On large fish pumping, aka short stroking, is a very valuable technique. I will go further and say I have seen more big fish lost by anglers following your 90 degree rule. On a large and difficult fish I tell my clients to never let the fish rest. As soon as they settle in, usually using the current against you, you need to change up. Even if the fish is deep constantly changing up will keep them off balance. A constant 90 degree angle allows them to set their body against the current and relax. Your job is to prevent them from relaxing. That is how you land big fish fast.

I have video of a client fighting a big fish from a couple weeks ago. He was fighting from a relatively static position. As soon as I told him to start changing angles hard left, hard right, the fish started moving. Those moves are the only way this fish would have been landed.

Tight lines.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Tight lines.
Post the vid!

Link Posted: 10/28/2015 4:41:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Check the first steelhead thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top