Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2015 10:15:57 PM EDT

practicing in the yard with my walmart rig...and what's left of the "leader" from last year's "first time" trip.  (I think it was 6x9ft that had the yarn/midge/scud)

I'm hearing the whip crack behind me in a few casts....this, I know is bad....  any thoughts or input for a noobie?

thanks
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:09:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Give the rod a bit more time to load. Whip cracking comes from starting forward too soon.  The fly and tippet are whipping arond the end of the loop faster than the speed of sound.  

6X tippet is very fine tippet.  You might want to go to 3x or 4x for yarn casting in the back yard.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:33:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I really appreciate your response thanks.

ya, I killed that leader rig last year...tonight it had two feet left where I cut the knot out and was whipping it this eve just trying to get the hang of not killing or knotting my line.      Damn...I've broken the sound barrier.   I feel good.  

I found a dark colored cicada at my front door step a couple days ago....gonna go try to catch my first rainbow soon...(second attempt)

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Whenever I find myself doublehauling, it's a sure sign that I'm standing in the wrong place and wasting my time.  Long casts sell a lot of rods, but are seldom useful.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Generally true when trout fishing, but double hauling is great for banging hoppers to the opposite side, and for bass fishing and salt water.

Lefty Kreh's double haul technique is simple and. Doesn't require much effort, but works really well.

JPK
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:37:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Two words or less?  I'll go for just two:

Sensitive fingers.

A lot of times we try to horse the rod - we've got the rhythm we want to use regardless of what the rod wants to do.  Put your focus on the fingers of your right hand - it'll help you feel what the rod is doing.  Especially when you're hauling, you want to feel the rod loading smoothly.  Yanking too hard will "blow" the cast.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:32:10 PM EDT
[#6]
BTW when you hear that crack when you're fishing; you popped your fly off.

Be smooth and don't force things.  Feel the rod load.  Then change directions.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:32:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm still learning...didn't catch nuthin

damn....(see pun pic below)

...but my guide buddy did. (see belower pic)  

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:55:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:48:45 AM EDT
[#9]
That's a nice fish!
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:46:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Whenever I find myself doublehauling, it's a sure sign that I'm standing in the wrong place and wasting my time.  Long casts sell a lot of rods, but are seldom useful.
View Quote

Like JPK said, I think every saltwater fly fisher I know uses the double haul.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Two words: timing, timing.

Your problem is not double hauling it is timing. Also, throw a small piece of yarn on your leader to slow it down.

Double hauling is very useful in every day fly fishing. So much so the I do it on almost every cast. But I am also at the skill level that it is automatic and usually applied with an appropriate power and timing.

Want to learn to haul? If casting on grass tie on three 2-3" pieces of 80lb mono to create a t style anchor. Practice a single haul with a roll cast. Your goal is to start with your hands together, initiate your cast, haul @ 8" of line and finish with your hands together again. When and how much you haul is dictated by the length of your casting stroke, the action of your rod and timing. Don't try to shoot line to start. Focus on the feel of the haul, how it loads the rod and how your hands move through the stroke. Haul to early and you will overload the tip and cause a tailing loop. Too late and you add little to nothing to the cast. Hit the sweet spot and you will feel it. It is important to remember a haul of 4" is effective if it is timed right. Often less is more effective with an average cast.

I use a haul on every roll cast, every stack mend and virtually every single hand cast.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#12]
thanks!

I will google t-style anchor for casting in yard.

my rod is a Martin 6 weight ..the ones that come in package at the wal-mart fishing section

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 10:48:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Do a search for flyfishing grass anchor. You should find a sample that you can duplicate. If you have water near by use it instead. Your line will stay much cleaner, just remember to use some yarn on the end of your leader. A roll cast with a haul is a very valuable tool.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 8:02:41 PM EDT
[#14]
two words or less?

Practice.  More.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd disagree with that wholeheartedly. If you're on a small creek/river floating dries or drifting nymphs, sure. If you're on the Great Lakes, you want to cover a shit ton of water with ease you're going to want to double haul and have a long cast to cover lots of water. Same for punching into the wind to make casts to tailing fish.

If I had to sum up the double haul in two words or, less: Timing. Practice.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:27:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

LMAO, you don't fish for what I fish for or where I fish for it.

Cast a sinking line with a 10 inch musky fly (more than 20 feet)  and NOT double haul and I'll kiss your ass.

Throw a weighted streamer on a sink tip or intermediate line from mid river (too deep to cross) across two seams to get to where the 20in smallie is and NOT double haul and I'll kiss your ass.

Fish a Lake Michigan or Lake Huron flat for 24inch lake smallies and deal with the wind effectively and NOT double haul.........well you get the picture.

About the only time I don't double haul is with my light trout stuff.

You think its a waste of time but instead of false casting 5 times with out a double, I'll pick up the line, shoot into the backcast with a haul and throw a haul into the forecast and cover the same or more distance as flailing away. In the end the double haul is about efficiency to allow you to fish more (you are only fishing when the fly is in the water after all) and if you can not cast a fishable distance for what you are fishing for or are having to false cast a bunch to get a workable amount of line out, well you ARE wasting time.

Just my 2 cents and over 2 decades of fly fishing opinion.

As for the OP's question: Load and Speed.

J-
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:50:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Double, distance or
Strip, Throw
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:15:46 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm certainly a fan of the double haul but I read an interesting quote from Lefty yesterday. It was something akin to "Most people use the double haul to throw their mistakes further."

If you think about it, it's true. It's easy to try to power your way which more often than not just screws up would would have been an otherwise nice cast.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm certainly a fan of the double haul but I read an interesting quote from Lefty yesterday. It was something akin to "Most people use the double haul to throw their mistakes further."

If you think about it, it's true. It's easy to try to power your way which more often than not just screws up would would have been an otherwise nice cast.
View Quote

That is true. But using a small haul will load your rod deeper so you can work less on each cast. It is an energy saving tool as much as a distance tool for me.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:30:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That is true. But using a small haul will load your rod deeper so you can work less on each cast. It is an energy saving tool as much as a distance tool for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. Most people do not double haul correctly to begin with. Too many people do not haul proportionally to the amount of line they have out. A lot of people try to throw a huge haul into a cast when a short haul will work. The haul HAS to be in proportion to the amount of line you are carrying in the air.

J-
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:43:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Both of y'all are exactly right. And that's precisely what Lefty said when he was teaching.

And while I'm on the subject of Lefty, everyone with a Deceiver tied by the man himself raise their hand.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:51:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I have had a couple casting and photography classes with Lefty. The shop I worked at 30 years ago brought him in a couple times a year for casting and photo classes. I had a couple his flies but the bonita off of Catalina Isld destroyed them...
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:28:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Both of y'all are exactly right. And that's precisely what Lefty said when he was teaching.

And while I'm on the subject of Lefty, everyone with a Deceiver tied by the man himself raise their hand.

View Quote

Anyone who has fished with the man raise their hand. He is a very nice guy and a wealth of knowledge..

J-
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:27:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Damn you.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:53:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Damn you.
View Quote

He is really a great guy.

J-
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 11:09:19 PM EDT
[#26]
On the Texas coast, with our winds, you'd better be able to double haul or you'll have a tough time. That said, if I can get a closer and more accurate cast, I'll do what I can to take it over a DH.

Two words? Timing & Patience
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:39:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Two words: Watch backcast.
Three word: short sharp hauls

Yes, Lefty is the best.  WWII vet, Battle of the Bulge.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:20:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Lefty is great, but I don't think it would be an insult to either one to mention Joan Wulff in the same breath! That lady is amazing!
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
On most smaller trout streams or rivers that may be, but for lake or saltwater fishing the double haul has its place

There are some big open trout rivers in Pa (stretches of the little juniata, or youghiogheny) where a double haul can be useful.  Sometimes its impossible or unsafe  to wade to a spot where the fish are rising, or you suspect that big one is.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:34:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Get comfortable with the single haul first.  The double will then come in no time. Tie a bit of yarn on the end of your Tippett or leader when practicing.  You won't have that cracking sound.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top