Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2015 1:43:30 PM EDT
I have never went fly fishing in my life but was invited to Montana to go fishing in August. Guy told me I needed a 4 piece 8'-9' rod/reel combo in a 5 weight. I know nothing about fly fishing besides it looks cool. I would like a decent reel/rod so could someone steer me in right direction. I need to know about the line etc also.

Thanks David
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#1]
There are two schools of thought to this. The first is to get something inexpensive, learn with it and replace it. The second is to get a higher end setup, learn to use it and keep it. You didn't mention a budget so it is kind of hard to make any suggestions. Especially when one can go as cheap as under a hundred or spend thousands on a setup. Another thing to consider is that everybody likes different rods based on several factors. When you are new the tough thing is that you don't know what you like and don't like in a rod. If I knew some sort of budget I could definitely make some suggestions but keep in mind that they will be based on my perceptions.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Adder nailed it pretty much. If its something that you think you will enjoy and keep doing and aren't hurting for money id go the buy once cry once route. Its kind of like skeet shooting though as a guy could go 100 for 100 with an 870 while the guy that shoots 65 out off 100 with a krieghoff gets less funny looks.

edited to say im partial to Winston rods, but also have rods from Sage TFO and Reddington that range from $100-800, My Winstons are my favorite to fish with. My 3wt 7'6 BIIt is my baby that to me is the finest rod ever crafted lol.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 8:19:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are two schools of thought to this. The first is to get something inexpensive, learn with it and replace it. The second is to get a higher end setup, learn to use it and keep it. You didn't mention a budget so it is kind of hard to make any suggestions. Especially when one can go as cheap as under a hundred or spend thousands on a setup. Another thing to consider is that everybody likes different rods based on several factors. When you are new the tough thing is that you don't know what you like and don't like in a rod. If I knew some sort of budget I could definitely make some suggestions but keep in mind that they will be based on my perceptions.
View Quote

How about a budget of $400.00-$800.00 to start.

David
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#4]
The best thing you can do is go to a fly shop and get a casting lesson and tell them that you are looking for a first rod and they will be happy to bring out a selection of rods and see which one feels the best to cast.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The best thing you can do is go to a fly shop and get a casting lesson and tell them that you are looking for a first rod and they will be happy to bring out a selection of rods and see which one feels the best to cast.
View Quote

Trying to find one within 2 hours drive at the moment.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 1:40:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is solid advice, realistically with your budget. You should try various rods from the higher end companies (Sage, Winston, Orvis, T&T etc.). With some guidance, you should be able to find one that works for you and that you like. For me, my go to 5wt is my older Orvis Zero Gravity. My wife got it for me new for Valentines day in 08 after she heard me talking about how much I liked it after testing it out. They are no longer made, back then it was top of the line from them. That was my first good rod and I still have it around because I enjoy fishing it. I have had others but ended up selling them as they never got fished. My point is if you take the time to find what you like, you will have it around for a long time.

If you end up enjoying it, then you will start to get other rods for different needs. At my high point I had a lot of rods, I fished them all but over time I ended up reducing my numbers. I kept the ones that I fished and enjoyed the most. Now I am down to the following: three 0wt rods, one 3wt rod, two 5wt rods, one 7wt rod, one 9wt rod and one spey rod with a grain window of 450-750. My only intended future purchases are another (better) 3wt and two more spey rods, one lighter than my current one and one heavier. I almost forgot one thing about the better manufacturers, they have good warranties. I have broken quite a few over the years and they get replaced. Some companies charge more for warranty work than others but the most I have paid was 50 bucks. Not bad considering that rod was $980 when I bought it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 6:11:07 PM EDT
[#7]
You are getting some great recommendations above. What I will add is this:

There are a lot of great casting rods. There are a lot of great fishing rods. Sometimes the two meet in one rod. Try to get an idea of how you will be fishing in MT. Take that information with you to the shop.

What to watch out for when buying your first rod. To the uninitiated caster a fast action rod may feel like it casts better in the lot. Because a fast action rod works in the upper third of the blank it has a tendency to cast higher line speeds. Sometimes that translates into longer casts which makes a lot of people feel like that is the rod for them. Quite often it is not the best rod for them. It just looks good in the parking lot.

Here is why: a lot of trout fishing happens 10-30' in front of you. A rod that is fast action may not hit the sweet spot in casting without 30+ feet of line out. Remember you will be casting with a leader of 7.5-10' if you are dry fly fishing. Add 10' of line to that and you are pushing 20', the sweet spot. Now that rod that casts 40' of line with ease feels like a club and really doesn't load properly. The wrong tool for the job, but easy for the fly shop to sell.

The fastest way to sort those rods out? After casting 3 different action rods ask the shop employee to hold on to the end of the line. Pull on the rod like you are fighting a 12" fish. A fast action rod may provide no joy whereas a slower rod may call out your name. The right tool for the job feels good in the hand. I buy rods for how they feel on a fish. Casting can be learned and fine tuned but fighting a fish is what the game is all about.

Enjoy and keep us updated.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Everything SpeyRod said is the truth, I flyfish in MT, WY, or ID yearly for a week. Most cast are fairly short and I have gone to a 3wt to make the 10-18" fish feel like much bigger fish and get a lot more enjoyment out of fighting the fish with slower action rods. I started out with fast action rods but I have seen the light now lol and prefer the lighter medium actions for trout fishing.  There is nothing like double hauling a 3wt to 18" cut throat.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Everything SpeyRod said is the truth, I flyfish in MT, WY, or ID yearly for a week. Most cast are fairly short and I have gone to a 3wt to make the 10-18" fish feel like much bigger fish and get a lot more enjoyment out of fighting the fish with slower action rods. I started out with fast action rods but I have seen the light now lol and prefer the lighter medium actions for trout fishing.  There is nothing like double hauling a 3wt to 18" cut throat.
View Quote

Now go for that same 18" cutt with a 0wt SPL or SLT and that is more my thing

Anyway, back on topic, yes slower stuff is fun for trout rods. Don't get me wrong I like fast rods too but for different reasons. For me, here is how I do it; my 0wt and 3wt rods are slower, my 5s are medium and one that is medium fast, my 10' 7wt is fast as well as my 9wt. One interesting thing, my 10' 7wt is fast, I use it for a lot of different things such as trout streamer/nymph rod, still water, single hand steelhead and big bull trout rod. Even though it has landed 33" steel with no issues, the damn thing is still pretty sensitive with smaller trout. It has an awesome fish on feel and like SpeyRod, how I rate my rods is their fish on feel not casting feel. All the rods that I currently own, have awesome fish on feel the thing that sucks is that feeling cant be measured casting in a parking lot.

Sage in my opinion screwed things up with the TXL-F line of rods in my opinion. They had a great light lined rod the SPL and SLT then they came out with the TXL that was faster then the TXL-F that was even faster. I owned a TXL for a bit and while it was cool, it was never as good as the SPL or SLT, I sold it and got another SPL When I broke a SPL last summer, I called Sage, they said that they had no more replacements for the butt section (the part I broke) but that I could send it in for replacement with a TXL-F. I kept the rod and have been searching for another butt section
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:31:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Buy this comicbook now ($1.19 used):  

http://www.amazon.com/Curtis-Creek-Manifesto-Illustrated-Paraphernalia/dp/0936608064

The recommendation for the 9-ft, 5 wt rod, sounds just right to me for general trout fishing.  I have one myself.  

I'd go to a real fly shop and let them help you as mentioned.  
Otherwise, I'd buy something like this, and then go practice on the lawn:  

http://www.gorgeflyshops.blogspot.com/2012/02/redington-crosswater-fly-rodreel-outfit.html

Actually, the Reddington Path set may be better:  

http://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-outfits/path/

Get the four piece rod so you can pack it for travel.  

Here's the recommendations of a Fly Shop local to me:

http://www.redsflyfishing.com/Deluxe-Beginner-s-Fly-Fishing-Outfit-p/classic-trout-5weightcombo.htm

Yes, that package from Red's Fly Shop looks very nice.  Very well thought out and higher quality.  

I would consider a beginner set-up, or at least a rod, by Redington or Echo.  Both companies that put out good stuff at,  good prices.  Here's an Echo kit with a good video by the Echo guy:

http://www.echoflyfishing.com/html/rod_category_details.php?category_id=29&page_id=61&product_type=1

Or a Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) rod.  I have one of those as well.  See here:

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=64294

And consider St. Croix as well.  I have a 5wt St Croix Imperial myself:

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/279812-beginner-rod-combo-tfo-nxt-st-croix-rio-santo-redington-pursuit.html

More general gear info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psui8dB_uf4

Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:34:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a 6' 2wt I play with but have been looking into the 000-1/2wt rods and will have one sometime in the future
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:45:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Some good advice here.

I have a couple of TFO rods and they're nice. They also have a great warranty (which I've used).

I also have a nice Sage 5-wt. I can't recall the model off the top of my head but it's about $400.

I can't agree with the advice to seek out a shop for some assistance, though. Our guys will take you outside and give you free casting lessons.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:54:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Some good advice here.

I have a couple of TFO rods and they're nice. They also have a great warranty (which I've used).

I also have a nice Sage 5-wt. I can't recall the model off the top of my head but it's about $400.

I can't agree with the advice to seek out a shop for some assistance, though. Our guys will take you outside and give you free casting lessons.
View Quote

TFO has a new rod line coming out soon, I was at an expo and they wouldnt give me an exact date or name for the new rod but the new 4wt 8'6 thats coming out will be in my collection when it does. I need to send my 8wt Ti CRX in for warranty I broke it lawn fishing like a retard the day before I went to the coast

edited to say they told me the rod was very close to release
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 5:05:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks guys, good info.

David
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 1:01:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's my .02 worth.

First, where do you live? Is fly fishing viable near you? Are you interested in pursuing it after you go to Montana?

Depending on all of that would tell me whether it would be wise to make that investment. Remember also, there's a lot of other things you need in order to fly fish other than just the rod and reel. It can be expensive or not.

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Here's my .02 worth.

First, where do you live? Is fly fishing viable near you? Are you interested in pursuing it after you go to Montana?

Depending on all of that would tell me whether it would be wise to make that investment. Remember also, there's a lot of other things you need in order to fly fish other than just the rod and reel. It can be expensive or not.

View Quote

I live in Southwestern Virginia, we have everything except oceans here so I will probably use it here. Small to medium size streams/rivers is what I usually fish with a pond on my farm.
Small and large mouth bass
Lots of panfish
Trout streams
Lots here
David

Found full service fly shop little over an hour from my house in Abingdon Virginia.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 3:47:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I live in Southwestern Virginia, we have everything except oceans here so I will probably use it here. Small to medium size streams/rivers is what I usually fish with a pond on my farm.
Lots of panfish
Trout streams
Lots here
David

Found full service fly shop little over an hour from my house in Abingdon Virginia.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's my .02 worth.

Lots of panfish
Trout streams
Lots here
David

You live in great area that can offer all kinds of fly fishing, from large to small. That being the case, I would start off with what is suggested for Montana and go from there.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 6:47:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Guy that invited me dropped off a 5wt reel and rod today with a quick lesson to get me going and something to practice with.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 7:21:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Guy that invited me dropped off a 5wt reel and rod today with a quick lesson to get me going and something to practice with.
View Quote

So what did you end up with?
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He just loaned me one of his rods until I buy one, I'm traveling this week and going to put my hands on some reels and rods to get the feel for them.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 8:36:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Get the cabela's RLS+ combo.  Throw the fly line that comes with it in the trash and replace it with a Rio Gold WF5F fly line.  The rod is very useable and the reel is excellent for a beginner outfit.  It's a damn good reel, which you will appreciate as you get better.

That whole outfit will run you less than $250.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 11:20:10 PM EDT
[#22]
The Virginia area is great for flyfishing for Smallmouth Bass.  I live out west in a more arid region that is  two hours of more from trout, but is great for Smallmouth.  So I'm flyfishing for them.  

The 5 wt might be a little small as a standard Smallmouth rod.  6 or 7 wt being more the norm...
...but...

...get both!

5wt is great for Panfish.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
5wt is great for Panfish.
View Quote

I love using the 5wt when my son and I hit the pond by the house.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 11:36:00 AM EDT
[#24]
OP, if you're like most of us that really get into fly fishing, you'll end up with several rods/reels, etc.

It's amazing how,they multiply.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 11:52:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Interesting thread. Fly rods are like golf clubs, you need a different one for every situation. No golfer would ever play a rou d with one club.

I have them from 3wt through 11wt.

I generally prefer a fast action, but all around for trout fishing a medium or medium fast action rod is more versatile since they are much more pleasant to throw weighted nymphs and strike indicators with.

A slow action is usually easier for a beginner to cast with since they empathize the feeling of the rod loading and help with a novice's timing - and timing is everything as experienced guys know. I do not like the feel of a slow action rod for casting though, and do not like the feel fighting fish either.

Also, remember a fast action can be slowed by over lining it, and that is one way to allow a rod to suit two situations very well, rather than one really well and the other make do. For example, slapping hoppers or crickets across the stream to the far bank - best with a fast action, and  casting a pair of nymphs , maybe some weight and a strike indicator upstream a few yards - best with a medium action. Just carry an extra spool with the heavier weight line, with maybe a different taper to the head.

A five wright can be fine for smallmouths, as long as you stick with wooly bugger, crawfish and helge mite type flys. For some of the leach patterns a 7 weight ok and an 8 better. For some of the bigger Dahlberg inspired creations I use a 9. A medium or medium fast rod for the weighted stuff, but for the big and bulky hair bugs, frogs and "minnows" I like fast or faster.

For saltwater, fast or faster.

Years ago budget fly rods just didn't cut it. But today's budget fly rods are often very good rod blanks with less expensive fitting, guides, etc. Most seem to be medium or medium fast, which makes them pretty versatile. A fellow can outfit himself very well without spending a fortune.

My 2 cents.

JPK
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 4:28:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Great advice.  I can only add: Don't rush to get rid of that first budget rod & reel. If you do get into fly fishing it's nice to have a backup or a "buddy" rod.  It's a shame to ruin a day on the water and waste what is sometimes a long drive because of some misfortune with equipment, the backup rod & reel keeps you fishing. The "buddy" rod exists to hook friends and family into the addiction.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top