Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2015 9:16:23 PM EDT
I am wanting to start using my old lamaglas graphite rod again. I broke the tip off about 3 years ago, it broke off about 6 inches. I put a new tip on it but I am worried that it will break again where the new tip is. Its a 7.6 foot rod, 5wt. Should I use a lighter line with it, or do you think it would be ok as is? You'd think I broke my dick off they way I worry about it....

TL/Dr Made my fly rod 7.6 to 7 in a fuctarded way.. Ok to use
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:03:12 PM EDT
[#1]
2-piece?  3-piece?

Worst that can happen is you'll break it again, leaving you with the same broken fly rod.  If it doesn't break, Yay!  Fixed rod!  If it does, Darn, it didn't work.  Now I still have this old busted-ass fly rod.

I might test it under load before going after that 30" brown, though.  Rig up a 16 oz plastic drink bottle, fill it with water, unspool enough line, heave it out in a pond, and pull it back in.  Repeat a few times.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#2]
its a 2 piece older rod
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 8:06:18 PM EDT
[#3]
You will be fine putting a tip on it and fishing it. You will not need a lighter line. If anything you will need a heavier line. start with what you have and go up from there if it is not loading to your taste.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top