Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2014 8:17:55 PM EDT
I met up with a Mike to do a little fishing on a river that isn’t too far from home.  Once we were there we ran into a couple of guys that I know. Well actually ran into isn’t quite accurate; you see Jeremy knew I was going and he owed me a few flies. He gave me a text saying that he would meet up with me at a specific spot.

After we BS’ed for a bit we decided to split up and fish different areas. The day was a bit warm already with the highs expected in the 70s there wasn’t any clouds in the sky. I put on sunblock but I should have reapplied as I got a little toasty by the days end.

The first run we fished is normally a very productive run. However, today it wasn’t really doing much with Mike picking up one and then nothing. We decided to head elsewhere which ended up being a great call. Once at the next spot we began to fish. He picked up some and then I finally got my first one of the day.

Once released I noticed mike hooked one up so I grabbed a few shots of him. I didn’t bother to take a zoom lens so these are cropped quite a bit.

Mike worked his way down to another section picking some more up. He yelled to me to see if I wanted to try his 10’ 2wt he built, I eagerly agreed. This rod is just badass, it does very well throwing three fly weighted nymph rigs with an indicator. It also does just fine with the 17-22 inch browns we were catching. Here are a couple of examples of the quite a few guys I landed while fishing the 2wt.

While fishing the run, Jeremy and Zeke showed up. They said hi and then fished the upper part of the run for a bit. They ended up taking off and Mike and I fished for a bit longer picking up some more fish. I was having such a blast, I forgot all about taking photos, realizing I hardly had any pics; I quickly took a few scenery shots.

We ended up trying a new spot next, this place looked good but nothing came up.

Next we ran back into Jeremy and Zeke. The four of us fished a pretty long stretch of water so we weren’t really near one another. From the looks of it everybody was picking up good numbers of fish. After a while they decided to call it a day, Mike and I stayed a bit longer picking up some more.

We packed up the truck, Mike broke out some sandwiches out of the cooler and we headed out. It was a fun day for sure. Lots of bugs on the water though very little risers, lots of fish to hand, lots of fish LDR’ed and good times were had by all. I will say this though, I liked that 10 foot 2wt so much, and Mike offered to show me how to make my own this summer. I can’t wait not only to get one of my own but to also learn how to rod build.

Link Posted: 5/2/2014 5:01:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Beautiful scenery and fish as always.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 2:42:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks man!

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 3:54:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Beautiful!

I do not fly fish (yet) but please consider posting some pictures of you building that fly rod!

Link Posted: 5/18/2014 8:37:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Great tale, Adder!  I always enjoy your reports.  

Looking forward to learning more about that 2w, too.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 9:13:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Brown Trout!  Beautiful.  

Link Posted: 5/20/2014 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Great pictures and some beautiful fish too!
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks all, those fish do not suck for sure. Actually that river isn't bad at all and in this area we are a bit spoiled because of it. As far as the two wt goes, I'll keep ya posted as I start the build.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top