Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2014 1:14:38 AM EDT
Anyone ever fish it? I'm planning a trip for this year or next for about a week camping and fishing. I just have a few basic questions like the best time of year to go and any streams that are a must? I have been looking at camping in West Yellow Stone at the Madison or Norris campground. Any info/input would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 9:04:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I was just out there last June. The rivers were still really high and milky at that time from snowmelt on the mountains. We stuck to the smaller streams and did well. My wife caught her first fish on a flyrod out there. Parachute Adams and Elk Hair Caddis were the go-to flies.The trout are spooky and you need to have good presentation. They will refuse if it is not just right.

I tried my hand on some of the big river stuff but I wasn't really set up for it. Being from SE MN, a really big stream for me is one I have to take two leaps to get across and I didn't have the rod or line to get the big flies down under the current.

Link Posted: 3/3/2014 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Wait for the water to go down.  Probably July.  They have had a lot of snow this year.  Be careful around the bison.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Big snow pack up that way. I'd wait until at least late July. Loads of small to medium creeks as well as the bigger rivers. When I fish up there I usually have a good selection of the following flies...

Dries:

Stonefly patterns, Stimulators, Hoppers (yellow and orange), Ants, Beetles, and maybe some smaller mayfly and caddis imitations. For the terrestrials, I'd recommend sizes in the #6-12 range. As for the mayflies and caddis, you might consider going as small as #18.

Nymphs:

Pat's Stones (#6-10), North Fork Specials, misc stonefly nymphs, Princes, Pheasant tails and Twenty Inches. I usually go for bigger nymphs in general but smaller nymphs would be good for the smaller streams. A good range of nymphs would be in the #6-16 range.

Misc:

San Juan worms, leach patterns (pine squirrel leech is a fav), random dries like Renegades, Yellow Sallies and Paralyzers can be good to have as well.

I generally find that tippet size is less of a concern on the less pressured water. 3-4X should be fine for most water but it wouldn't hurt to have some 5-6X for those pickier fish.

In July/Aug the hopper/dropper fishing can be off the charts.

You'll have a great time.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 12:06:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Fish there every year in the fall for spawners.  Last year was a bit of a bust; but we made the best of it.

June and July can have high water.  Last I heard they're at 115% snowpack; or so.  August and September can be good.

PM me if you have more questions.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the great info! Does anyone know when the snow/cold temps generally start back?
I am wanting to go the camping route, but I'm taking my SO with me and want to keep her comfy as possible. I was reading some reviews on the campsite and one person said they got a light dust of snow in June.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 1:02:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for all the great info! Does anyone know when the snow/cold temps generally start back?
I am wanting to go the camping route, but I'm taking my SO with me and want to keep her comfy as possible. I was reading some reviews on the campsite and one person said they got a light dust of snow in June.
View Quote

You can get snow anytime in YELL during the year. That said, generally July, Aug and early Sept. are more or less snow free. Be aware that some campgrounds are "hard side only" meaning no tent camping due to bears. Make sure before you book. I use http://www.reserveamerica.com to make campground reservations. Now is the time to do it because they book early and fast.

You can kind of wing it as there are lodging options outside the park boundary but they're generally expensive and/or not idea when you have to book them last minute. Some of the campgrounds offer small cabins, which can be a nice alternative to tent camping.

We were in YELL last summer on our way home from a 7-day raft trip in ID and did NOT have reservations but fortunately were able to sort out lodging in Grand Teton NP. YELL was full and there were no lodging options available to us in the park on such short notice.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:04:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I was a fly fishing guide in Yellowstone for several years.

Walk up the Lamar from the junction of Soda Butte creek.  

Visit Trout Lake in the NE corner.

Fish the Gallatin river along 191 in the park.

Go to Bud Lillys and hire a guide to take you on a float down the Madison outside the park.

Fish the Firehole behind Fountain Flats.

Iorn Spring creek by Old Faithful.

These are all GREAT spots.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#8]
My 8 year old kicked her brothers and cousins tail with 11 small brookies fishing the upper gibbon around the Virginia cascades (just w of canyon) with a tenkara. You can take your pick between trolling for big lakers on yellowstone lake or chasing the very challenging cuts throats. Plan on going early or starting late to avoid the crowds. The yellowstone fly fishing guide (Craig mathews/ Clayton molinero) and a few maps would be useful. My dad was friends with Craig so we would always stop by his shop in w yellowstone. Enjoy your trip, there's no where else quite like it. Tight lines
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 7:11:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My 8 year old kicked her brothers and cousins tail with 11 small brookies fishing the upper gibbon around the Virginia cascades (just w of canyon) with a tenkara. You can take your pick between trolling for big lakers on yellowstone lake or chasing the very challenging cuts throats. Plan on going early or starting late to avoid the crowds. The yellowstone fly fishing guide (Craig mathews/ Clayton molinero) and a few maps would be useful. My dad was friends with Craig so we would always stop by his shop in w yellowstone. Enjoy your trip, there's no where else quite like it. Tight lines
View Quote

I think it is a shame the Park Service is more than likely going to poison the Gibbon.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 7:14:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

One of the best trips I ever had there was with my dad the last week most of the camp sites were open, early October. Everything was shutting down (stayed at the snow lodge). We could drive in from w yellowstone and pass less than a dozen cars the entire way. It was like we had the place to ourselves. Bison had moved down to the thermal areas so fishing the firehole was quite the adventure. Waking up in the morning it was just cold enough to have skim ice on the puddles. Lucky because we could have easily got snow.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:22:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was a fly fishing guide in Yellowstone for several years.

Walk up the Lamar from the junction of Soda Butte creek.  

Visit Trout Lake in the NE corner.

Fish the Gallatin river along 191 in the park.

Go to Bud Lillys and hire a guide to take you on a float down the Madison outside the park.

Fish the Firehole behind Fountain Flats.

Iorn Spring creek by Old Faithful.

These are all GREAT spots.
View Quote

I have a buddy that is planning a trip to the Madison River in and around Yellowstone the second week in August.  He’s an avid coastal fisherman but has never gone western trout fishing and has it on his “bucket list”.  He’ll be there 3 or 4 days in a RV and wants to get a guide to show him how to catch trout  wade fishing then DIY it for the next 2 or 3 days.   I told him about your post and he asked if I’d ask you what 2 or 3 places you’d go given the circumstances (wade fishing, second week in August, western Yellowstone).  Thanks in advance and any other thoughts would be appreciated. Dave, in NC.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:02:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Headed to Yellowstone in a few days... First time back since 1989/90 and can't wait!  

I LOVE Sep in The Park because the daylight is rapidly changing, the elk are restless/start bugling, the bison are in rut and active, the temps are dropping and the fish start going nuts.  I recall wearing out several terrestrials on anything from the ever eager brookies to some decent size cuts and browns and didn't have to work too hard.  MAIN REASON I LOVE SEP in The Park is about 2/3 less visitors vs. summer!  

Apparently been a LOT of changes, and not all good since my last visit... REGARDLESS, Yellowstone is still a very special place and truly indescribable.  

B2

Plan is for CINCWIFE to catch her first fish on a fly rod... Will try to remember to take pics but I'm easily distracted.  Not your average touron as I've had family in WY for 3+ generations along w/ CO and all the current batch still gets distracted by wonders of the Rockies...

I'll attempt to remember to provide a trip report... If not, Bottom Line = HAD FUN!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top