Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2014 10:33:56 PM EDT
A while back I was contacted via private message about possibly fishing with somebody that was new to fly fishing. After several messages back and forth I decided to just give him my cell as it was easier than trying to log in and check messages. We were able to plan a trip for Sunday the 2nd to a river that is not too far from town. I was thinking this was the perfect place for somebody that is new to the sport to have a fun day.

The alarm went off at quarter to seven, about fifteen minutes later I received the call saying that he was on his way. Once at my house we got all the stuff packed up and headed out; stopping for a quick bite to eat at the drive through. The drive was relatively short and before long we were at the river.

Once we were rigged up and a few pointers we headed down to the water. We both fished the same run, after a short time I hooked into my first fish.

A short time after that it was fish number two time.

After the second fish, I suggested that we switch places so that he could try to get his skunk off. I said that it would seem that they are hanging a bit lower in this run than usual today. Not too long after switching his skunk was off. It was pretty cool to see the excitement of the first fish, after a little bit of a battle this nice looking brown was landed.

Shortly after releasing his first fish, the sun decided to show up. This was a nice welcome as it was quite cold and I know knocking ice off your guides every three casts sucks for me let alone a new fly fishermen.

Next up was my turn.

We stayed a bit longer with him getting a total of five fish to hand and one LDR. At this point I suggested we check out some other spots on the river. We drove to and fished several spots; however, none of them produced anything. At this point I said that we could either call it and go home or we could go back to the first spot and see if he could get a few more before we took off for the day. Well we ended up heading back to the first spot.

While we were back at the first spot he hooked up with a fish. While he was fighting it, I said that it would be cool if we got a double. At that point I had one take mine too and we both landed these good looking fish.

Mine

His

By the end of the day he had nine total to hand and two LDRs; all in all not a bad day at all.

Link Posted: 2/3/2014 3:54:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Good on ya. Always love your reports. In a they-make-me-sick-I'm-not-there kind of way.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 4:14:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm here to up my post count.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 4:24:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 4:32:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Good for you!

Link Posted: 2/3/2014 5:35:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a blast !! Thanks again for taking me it was worth lossing feeling to my feet to catch those fish !! Can't wait to go again fly fishing is so much easier when u have somebody who knows what they doing there to help u with the basics
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 10:18:31 PM EDT
[#6]
After looking at these pics, I think it's time to look into a trip out west soon!

Thank you for sharing!
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 10:57:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a blast !! Thanks again for taking me it was worth lossing feeling to my feet to catch those fish !! Can't wait to go again fly fishing is so much easier when u have somebody who knows what they doing there to help u with the basics
View Quote

Any time man, I was just glad that you were able to get into some fish!

Link Posted: 2/18/2014 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Excellent! Congratulations to both of you.

Makes me want to get out and swing one up!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top