Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2013 5:11:20 AM EDT
Hey guys!  Wife and I are retired ( recently) and have a bucket list. On my list is a LONG trip up through Montana, Utah, Wyoming and Idaho fly fishing as we go. We have a large 5th wheel trailer, Boxer dog and a Polaris side by side for four wheeling. We would like to leave Texas around May 1st  2014 and return to our home in about 8 weeks.

What I`m looking for here is advice about
1) Trout fishing not to be missed
2) guides
3) ATV/UTV/OHV trails
4) private access
5) best public access
7) bear issues
8) camping options for a 40 ft. fifth wheel
9) Sights not to be missed

We are 60 and 55 and are not  looking for ten mile walk in back country fishing. Our Boxer goes everywhere with us including boats and float trips. Any insights or past adventures that y`all have had would be VERY helpful.

Generally speaking we enjoy "waterfront" camping whether it is a lake or a river. Our past experiences have involved what we call " spoke and hub" day trips meaning about 50 miles one way to any sight or fishing area we want to go to. We try and stay a minimum of three nights ( up to ten if we want) where ever we camp. Our rig is quite large so ingress/egress is always an issue. We are fully self contained for up to 3-4 days but prefer full service hook ups for the trailer. We always travel armed.

We might stay on the road longer than 8 weeks if required however our last trip was 6 weeks and I was ready to get home. With our new larger rig this won`t be a huge issue. We also enjoy "antiquing" along the way as well as western history/museums.

FBHO and thanks in advance!!!!

Link Posted: 9/29/2013 5:22:20 AM EDT
[#1]
spare tires and tools........
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 7:27:24 AM EDT
[#2]
hit the Cody Firearms museum.  I know this isn't specifically on your list but since your on this board, this is a good place to hit.  Montana, hit the Yellowstone battle field. ( if your a history fan).  

enjoy retirement,  tomorrow is my last day, then it is wooot wooot for me as well.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
hit the Cody Firearms museum.  I know this isn't specifically on your list but since your on this board, this is a good place to hit.  Montana, hit the Yellowstone battle field. ( if your a history fan).  

enjoy retirement,  tomorrow is my last day, then it is wooot wooot for me as well.
View Quote

Thanks for the tips!  This is exactly what I am looking for. Retirement , for us, is about 12 times better than I thought it would be. Hope the same for you!
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#4]
1. drop acid.

2. trip.

3. ???

4. profit!

Oh, sorry, wrong type of trrip.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 7:23:53 PM EDT
[#5]
It has been years since I have been back to Montana. Rivers to fish: Big Hole, Beaverhead, Poindexter Slough, Maddison and the Big Horn. Park the trailer in Glacier NP and drive going to the sun hwy. There is a famous church built during the gold rush. It had a lot of european antiquities and was painted by famous painters. Can't remember the name but it was cool.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Once you hit western Montana/Eastern Idaho I have some advice.

Madison river- there are a ton of campgrounds and places to stay along the river. Do a guided float trip you will have a great time, and I think it is the best way to fish this river.  I used Madison River outfitters out of West Yellowstone.

then from there hit up Henry's Fork, It is literally just down the road into Idaho

then go down highway 20 and fish Silver Creek. It has some monster browns and is a place that Earnest Hemmingway lived.

then Continue down HWY 20 to the South fork of the Boise River.

All of those places you should be able to get your trailer into and out of. I have fished all of them except the Henrys fork, I just havent made plans to get there yet but I have heard great things from some friends.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 6:44:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys!!! Keep the thoughts coming.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 7:24:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I know you said Montana, Utah, Wyoming and Idaho, but you are in Texas, so depending on how you get there from Texas, are you going thru Colorado?  If you do, Creede, CO is known for its trout fishing.

Due to changing conditions at my work, I'm considering retirement almost immediately instead of Dec 2014, so your thread caught my attention.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 7:36:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I know you said Montana, Utah, Wyoming and Idaho, but you are in Texas, so depending on how you get there from Texas, are you going thru Colorado?  If you do, Creede, CO is known for its trout fishing.

Due to changing conditions at my work, I'm considering retirement almost immediately instead of Dec 14, so your thread caught my attention.

Have fun!
View Quote

Yeah OP, why no Colorado?  http://www.gunnisoncrestedbutte.com/five-fishing-tournaments-angler-vacation-deals-add-lure-gunnison-county-colorado
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Fortunately we have spent a lot of time in Colorado over the years. We made a decision to NOT go back untill the gun laws are back to normal. Love the state and its beauty but not their liberal political ideals.
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 7:54:18 AM EDT
[#11]
There are so many rivers to fish.  Not sure how many guides will let you bring your dog on a boat trip.  Here is a web site with a lot of good information and links to fishing/lodging/dining resources in the Greater Yellowstone Area.

Greater Yellowstone
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 6:41:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There are so many rivers to fish.  Not sure how many guides will let you bring your dog on a boat trip.  Here is a web site with a lot of good information and links to fishing/lodging/dining resources in the Greater Yellowstone Area.

Greater Yellowstone
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 12:20:40 PM EDT
[#13]
In Western Montana, there is also the Boulder River, and if you're looking for big water don't forget the Missouri.
In Eastern Montana, below Ft. Peck Reservoir, is a relatively unknown area with big trout. Crystal clear water for about three miles... because all of the sediment has dropped out in the lake, before the Milk River flows into it. (Some portions of this stretch use to be closed for a natural hatchery part of the year,)

As for western history… I think just about all Montana counties have a museum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top