Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2013 3:26:48 PM EDT
This is my first attempt at a Peeping Caddis. I got in a hurry, forgot to wrap my hackle with a little more thread and it could use a little more dubbing at the bead. I haven't figured out the Hares Ear dubbing, I wanted to fluff it with some Velcro, but was afraid I would pull it off. Maybe use hair spray or spray adhesive to it, I dunno?

I tied a 2nd one, fixing the mistakes from the 1st. This time using lighter dubbing and adding some green in there and added 3 wraps over the dubbing in attempt to keep it in place. It is the one on the left. Now I just need some green yarn!

Link Posted: 9/13/2013 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#1]
that trout is on the plate
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 4:11:49 PM EDT
[#2]
send one of those bad boys this way...I will put it to good use!
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
that trout is on the plate
View Quote

I sure hope so! Going to try them out tomorrow morning !
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 12:52:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
send one of those bad boys this way...I will put it to good use!
View Quote

Don't think I won't!

We should try a Fly pass much like the humidor forum does a cigar pass.

Link Posted: 9/14/2013 12:55:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice!

One fly I could never master was anything that required spinning buck hair.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Well done!. Those would definitely catch fish. I would work on consistency in the tail and call it good.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 2:05:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well done!. Those would definitely catch fish. I would work on consistency in the tail and call it good.
View Quote

Thanks for the suggestion!
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 1:19:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Are you twisting your directly on your tying thread with wax or making a dubbing loop?

If you're afraid of your dubbing coming loose you could take a few turns of wire over it to make it more durable.
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Are you twisting your directly on your tying thread with wax or making a dubbing loop?

If you're afraid of your dubbing coming loose you could take a few turns of wire over it to make it more durable.
View Quote

Twisting it with wax.. I will have to do some research on a dubbing loop!
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

when I tie flies with a dubbin body and especially caddis flies I leave a longer tag end of thread off the back of the hook when I lay my thread base and I dont cut it. I then tie the body and then counter wrap the tag end to the front like you would with a wire and tie it off, just saves alittle weight and less of a potential balance problem on the float. I use GSP thread so it is tougher than regular thread.

Oh and OP those will catch fish fir sure.

J-
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 2:56:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Every new Tyer should buy Charlies Cravens Basic Fly Tying Book. Amazon Book Link

It is excellent. I can't imagine learning to Fly Tie without it.

Link Posted: 1/5/2014 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#12]
they'll catch fish. flies dont have to be perfect no matter what everyone at whorvis tries to tell you. i started tying a few years ago and they looked flat awful. all you can do is keep practicing. grab a six pack, put on some tunes and go for it
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Some of my narliest looking flies have been the best producers... Fish don't care. They suck it in and see if it is edible, if not they spit it out. Your job is to set the hook before they realize this ain't food.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I know personally and tie with some of the better known tiers around (greg senyo, mike schmidt, eli berant, mike schultz, mike decoteau etc) and they will all tell you that a slightly imperfect fly will usually outcatch a perfectly tied fly. There are variations in nature so why not in flies.

J-
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 11:41:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top