Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2013 7:45:10 PM EDT
What is an acceptable tip for a guide for a 4 to 6 hour float trip? He will probably have to work pretty hard to get us some fish, my father in law isn't the best fisherman and I'm not too far ahead of him. I'm looking for "worked his ass off" price and "just kind of paddled around and gave us the grand tour" price.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 5:16:32 PM EDT
[#1]
4-6 hours is a very short trip. A tip is very subjective and here is how I look at it.

If a guide picks you up and really isn't there for you, doesn't really show he is willing to put out then $0-$20. A $20 tip often says more than $0 if the guide knows you know the gig.

An average guide will get 10% on the low side to 20% on average. A guide that exceeds your expectations in his ability to teach, entertain, find fish and get you into fish will get 20-50%.

I am a guide and I charge $425 per day and $350 for a half day. My average tip runs $80-$100. My best tip has been from a couple who didn't know how to fish. Came on the boat extremely stressed from work. The biggest fish the wife caught was an 10" trout. But by the end of the day they were smiling ear to ear. His comment to me was " Wow, I don't want to get off the boat. I have never had a day change my attitude so profoundly." He tipped me 100%.

On the same note, someone purchased a trip I donated for a single dad of three kids, working and going to school full time. I busted ass for them cause I knew the dad didn't get much time to play. The kids were good kids and we had a great time. The dad gave me a $20 tip and it was more than I ever expected. He couldn't afford that but if I gave it back I probably would have insulted him. I thanked him for the great time.

I don't work for tips. I get them but it is my job to be everything I can for each and every client. The tip is purely the icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
4-6 hours is a very short trip. A tip is very subjective and here is how I look at it.

If a guide picks you up and really isn't there for you, doesn't really show he is willing to put out then $0-$20. A $20 tip often says more than $0 if the guide knows you know the gig.

An average guide will get 10% on the low side to 20% on average. A guide that exceeds your expectations in his ability to teach, entertain, find fish and get you into fish will get 20-50%.

I am a guide and I charge $425 per day and $350 for a half day. My average tip runs $80-$100. My best tip has been from a couple who didn't know how to fish. Came on the boat extremely stressed from work. The biggest fish the wife caught was an 10" trout. But by the end of the day they were smiling ear to ear. His comment to me was " Wow, I don't want to get off the boat. I have never had a day change my attitude so profoundly." He tipped me 100%.

On the same note, someone purchased a trip I donated for a single dad of three kids, working and going to school full time. I busted ass for them cause I knew the dad didn't get much time to play. The kids were good kids and we had a great time. The dad gave me a $20 tip and it was more than I ever expected. He couldn't afford that but if I gave it back I probably would have insulted him. I thanked him for the great time.

I don't work for tips. I get them but it is my job to be everything I can for each and every client. The tip is purely the icing on the cake.
View Quote

Sounds like you're the kind of guy that gives guiding a good name. Thanks. Sincerely.

stay safe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top