Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2013 3:34:53 PM EDT
Been awhile since I have fly fished. I have fished with an entry level sage rod but that was 14-15 years ago. I like the 2 piece rods over the 4-5 piece rods. All my fishing will be fresh water, trout, arctic char, grayling, etc... Probably won't be fishing areas that are not to tight getting into, but by no means will I need to make super long cast. I don't think I want to spend over $350 for just the rod and not over $700 total for reel, flies, line, etc...

I have been looking at a Winston passport 480 but by no means am I set on that rod.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 3:47:28 PM EDT
[#1]
These are all great rods and I believe, Made in USA:

Sage, TCX, VTZ or ZXL
Scott, S4
Thomas Thomas, Whisper Lite
St. Croix, Legend Elite
Orvis, Superfine

ETA:  My bad.  I read 350-700... Some of those I mention are above 350.  But each of those maker offer rods in your range.  

Can I ask what you dislike about your current Sage?
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
These are all great rods and I believe, Made in USA:

Sage, TCX, VTZ or ZXL
Scott, S4
Thomas Thomas, Whisper Lite
St. Croix, Legend Elite
Orvis, Superfine

ETA:  My bad.  I read 350-700... Some of those I mention are above 350.  But each of those maker offer rods in your range.  

Can I ask what you dislike about your current Sage?

Nothing, I like it fine...it is just in a packed storage container sitting in Anchorage AK somewhere...so I won't see it for a year or so.  That sage rod is 14-15 years old and it feels nothing like the newer sage rods, I don't mean that in a good way.  The Winston rods in the $120-$300 range were way nicer than than the sage rods in the same price range.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 7:39:53 AM EDT
[#3]
In the older rods 4 pc was less desireable due to construction at the time.  4 pc rods these days are just as good if not better than 2 pc rods.  that's my take on it and alot of others agree.

I have a Winston 4wt VSL and a 6wt Passport.  Both rods are 9' and 4 pc. I like them both .. very nice rods with lots of backbone.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 7:53:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't think I want to spend over $350 for just the rod and not over $700 total for reel, flies, line, etc...

I have been looking at a Winston passport 480 but by no means am I set on that rod.

For the price range you want to be in check out these combo packages:

Cabela's Winston VSL

Cabelas Winston Passport

If you buy these instore they will tie on the backing, spool it up, etc. .. heck of a way to go for a decent rod without breaking the bank!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 6:48:41 AM EDT
[#5]
NWBigfin

Cant go wrong with a custom that is priced right. Cliff Smart at NWBigfin can fix you right up.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 8:19:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In the older rods 4 pc was less desireable due to construction at the time.  4 pc rods these days are just as good if not better than 2 pc rods.  that's my take on it and alot of others agree.

I have a Winston 4wt VSL and a 6wt Passport.  Both rods are 9' and 4 pc. I like them both .. very nice rods with lots of backbone.

This. I had the same misconception when I started out- it's seems intuitive that if there are fewer connections, there will be a more fluid and uniform rod, better transfer of energy, more consistency, etc. But modern materials and manufacturing processes have negated all of that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 8:57:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Check out a St.Croix imperial, great rod around $200 give or take. Also, may want to look for a St.Croix avid series rod (not certain if they are still made, may need to look for a used one). I have used both of these for stream trout in Michigan and I love them. The Winston you mentioned doesn't sound bad either, R.L Winston is a top notch rod company.
Tight lines
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 6:32:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I just picked up a Cabela's LSi rod in a 9' 5 wt. and RLS+ reel combo and think it's great.  I like a fast action rod with plenty of spine.  I've only had it out once so far, but I love it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 5:07:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I ordered a 4 piece 5wt TFO Pro II and a Orvis BBS III to go with it. Figured it was time to get a fly rod as the rainbows seem to like flies below Hauser Dam. Luckily they also like crankbaits and stickbaits so I have been slaying them in the meantime.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I got a Sage Response 5-wt a month or so ago. I'm hoping to hit GA or NC this month to try it on some trout instead of bluegill.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 4:58:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Any one know about Powell endurance fly rods ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top