Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2017 12:02:29 AM EDT
I am looking into buying my first boat.   I am looking at a couple of different options.  I am not a small man and I have an issue with my balance.   Bass boats do not interest me.  I am interested in a Pontoon or Center Console.   I live in the middle/upper part of Texas and I live exactly 4 minutes from the boat ramp here.   No real plans on ocean/salt water type stuff.  

#1   Bass Buggy 20DLX.   Seems well equipped and optioned with a 75 or 90.  I think the one I was looking at has a 90 on it.  It is probably slow but thats ok.   I have rented similar sized ones before and they did what I was looking for them to do.   Seems like plenty of room for the family if we wanted to do boating things like just piddle around.  

#2.  Express H20B Center console.  I think it has a 150hp on it and its probably fast.  It is an all aluminum boat with something that seems like bedliner on the top side.  Less room but more fishing friendly.  

Thoughts for a newb?
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:14:57 AM EDT
[#1]
If it floats, flies or fu(&s... rent it.

At least that's what I have always been told.

Ended up getting married and buying an airplane.

Now wife wants me to sell airplane and buy a boat.

Interested to hear your decision.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:05:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you buying new?
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:07:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Hulltruth is the forum you seek.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Ive been happy with pontoons. Cheap to run stable and hold value pretty well.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:15:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ive been happy with pontoons. Cheap to run stable and hold value pretty well.
View Quote
I'd just make sure it's tritoon ride is significantly better
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:19:09 PM EDT
[#6]
What do you want to do with this boat?
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Bust
Out
Another
Thousand...

Pop's got a small pontoon, we like it. eats money as much as trying to supply one self with ammo, whilst living at a gun range, but we're content with it. Kinda wish he'd got a bigger one cause between my brother and I we fill that lil 16' thing with kids easy...

96 boat with a 77 2-stroke 85hp. Right after we got it the throttle broke some small piece of plastic and it was a nightmare to fix. Cruises at 17mph just fine...
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:37:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Bust
Out
Another
Thousand...

Pop's got a small pontoon, we like it. eats money as much as trying to supply one self with ammo, whilst living at a gun range, but we're content with it. Kinda wish he'd got a bigger one cause between my brother and I we fill that lil 16' thing with kids easy...

96 boat with a 77 2-stroke 85hp. Right after we got it the throttle broke some small piece of plastic and it was a nightmare to fix. Cruises at 17mph just fine...
View Quote
Well yeah, a 77 vintage motor is going to be a bit unreliable. I bought my current pontoon 11 years ago, it came with a 115 Suzuki. I think my annual maintenance over that time has averaged about $125 per year. Mostly just oil changes every few years and replace lower unit lube.
It's been rock solid reliable.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Fishing mostly and dicking around.   Something different because I am getting burnt out on shooting again.    

Quoted:
Are you buying new?
Yes,   I thought about something used but my FIL said it can be a real shit show if you don't know what to look for.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#10]
The FIL is correct especially with an older boat. IMO, a pontoon boat is the best bang for the buck. Lots of deck space

for many fishermen/women and to sprawl out on when not fishing. Pontoons also hold their value pretty well.

Engine wise, the 4-stroke offerings from Mercury and Yamaha are solid choices. I'm not bashing the other mfg's, I just don't

see the others at our marina.

2-strokes are pretty much gone save for the Opti-Max's and Yamaha's HPDI models, but they are pretty complex not to mention

the horrid compressor noise from the Opti's.

4-stroke EFI is the way to go nowadays. We repowered our rental fleet in 2014 replacing 2-stroke 90's and 50's with the

4-stroke EFI counterparts and what a difference in performance. Lots of low end grunt and very quiet with no smoke.

They are good on fuel too. We have seen a decrease in fuel used by our fleet since re-powering.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:53:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Check out G3 boats. Very well built boats and plenty of different styles and options.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 7:27:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I will 2nd a Pontoon an older hull with a newer motor may be the way to start out, the boat itself is  basic and fairly easy to work on.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 8:29:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I put my money down on the H20CC today while driving around.   I looked at both in different models.  I.e. Ranger, Lowe, Bass Tracker, Mako and some others to the point I was just going to say screw it.   I had a chance to do a test ride in the H20 they were checking out and it seems to hopefully fill the need of what I want to do with it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:45:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I put my money down on the H20CC today while driving around.   I looked at both in different models.  I.e. Ranger, Lowe, Bass Tracker, Mako and some others to the point I was just going to say screw it.   I had a chance to do a test ride in the H20 they were checking out and it seems to hopefully fill the need of what I want to do with it.
View Quote
One of these days I would like to try a center console when I have more money than sense.  My boat is below and I love the hell out of it but I also like the massive decks on bass boats and the fact that you can walk around center consoles.  So expensive to try one of each.

Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:07:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

One of these days I would like to try a center console when I have more money than sense.  My boat is below and I love the hell out of it but I also like the massive decks on bass boats and the fact that you can walk around center consoles.  So expensive to try one of each.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/218698/20140606-092246-106653.jpg
View Quote
I will take it for a starter chick.       If I don't manage to prop it up on some stumps or kill it in a few years I may shoot for a  double motor setup 40' rig.   My buddy has some fiasco that will kick 90mph easily but I think it has 2-454's with blowers.

Hopefully I will get it on Friday.  I noticed someone putting it on the lake when I drove by tonight on my way home.   I was told they do a pre checkout then another lake checkout when I sign for it.   Supposedly saltwater rated but I don't know.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 5:34:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I will take it for a starter chick.       If I don't manage to prop it up on some stumps or kill it in a few years I may shoot for a  double motor setup 40' rig.   My buddy has some fiasco that will kick 90mph easily but I think it has 2-454's with blowers.

Hopefully I will get it on Friday.  I noticed someone putting it on the lake when I drove by tonight on my way home.   I was told they do a pre checkout then another lake checkout when I sign for it.   Supposedly saltwater rated but I don't know.  
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/43495/h20cc-220867.JPG
View Quote
Nice!
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 8:13:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/43495/h20cc-220867.JPG
View Quote
Gorgeous! Congrats!
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 9:05:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/218698/20140606-092246-106653.jpg
View Quote
I like CCs, and think you made a good choice.  I also LOVE Rangers like callmestick's boat - either type would serve you well in Texas.  

I don't really know why more people don't use CC's on inland lakes - being able to walk around is a plus for most types of fishing.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:04:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Update

I have had the boat on the water twice.   We did a family fishing thing  of mostly just putting around then I took it out alone and played with it.   I was able to get it to 55mph playing with the trim which honestly scared me a little bit because I was standing up.  

Things I have learned:

Dont flip the switch on the winch and leave it switched when putting the boat in the water.  There is about 30' of line on there.  

Don't twist the trolling motor handle while its folded.  Luckily I found the piece that came out and was able to get it back together.  

Currently working through a boater ed online class.   I am learning a lot so far but nothing in it so far about how to catch fish.  

Don't stop too quick.   Water coming over the back isn't fun for whoever is sitting down in the seats.  

It has 3 batteries.  2 are for the 24v trolling motor and 1 is for general whatever.    Turns out that is 3 banks and not 2 banks.  Useful information when buying a battery charger.  

She will take a stump like a champ!    Luckily I wasn't moving fast

She will move in as little as a foot of water.   Seems pretty useful.    

Sunscreen!!!  

Upgrades:

Some sort of shade-   Looking at a T-top which looks cool but may actually be useless.     Bimini top seems more useless though.  

Boat cover-  Not a lot to say there.

New shoes-  This thing has a Rhino liner type coating on the deck.   Its nice and grippy when dry but slick as owl shit when wet.   The first time I had my Solomon 4's on which was my mistake.   2nd time I had regular shoes on.  

2 more seats.   I think there is room in front of the center console area to add 2 more seat pedestals for sitting.  

Cooler tie down.   That thing turns into a rocket on the slick floor.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:50:50 AM EDT
[#20]
55 at WOT? What RPM?

I see you're from the break in procedure school of run it like you stole it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
55 at WOT? What RPM?

I see you're from the break in procedure school of run it like you stole it.
View Quote
Lol yeah the boat guy dealer person said try to keep it under 4400.   .  Have done that for the most part except when I was just piddling wit h the trim.  I hit 5500 a couple of times.  My FIL was on my ass about learning how to properly trim a boat.  When properly trimmed she will scoot.   It's no 70mph bass boat for sure but it is a scary ride if your standing.  

MPH was pulled off my fish finder thingy's GPS feature.  Not sure on motor RPM as I was too chicken to look much further down than the GPS.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Pro Tip -- When coming down off plane, add a little throttle once you "set down" to "outrun" your wake so it doesn't come over the transom.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:30:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Well she officially has that fresh fish smell!   Dropped mine and it bounced all over the floor before I could get it out.

Stretch that arm!
Attachment Attached File

My helper caught a decent one.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:06:18 AM EDT
[#24]
You need to step up your game. The Captain always catches the biggest fish of the day!

Funny thing, I work at a marina and haven't been fishing in years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top