Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2017 6:38:16 AM EDT
I don't come over here often, but I see a few older questions I will be happy to answer and help if needed
IM or @propguy
Be safe and have fun
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you repair marine props?
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:41:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you repair marine props?
View Quote
Yes mainly Aluminum Stainless/ High Performance /Ski Boat etc
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 12:30:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice! We have no prop shops in the Phoenix area any more. We have to send ours out to Henderson NV for repair.

You aren't in Henderson are you? The guy who picks up our props has a license plate with your username on it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 7:34:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nice! We have no prop shops in the Phoenix area any more. We have to send ours out to Henderson NV for repair.

You aren't in Henderson are you? The guy who picks up our props has a license plate with your username on it.
View Quote
Imposter there is only 1
No prop shop in Phoenix? You got some water? Let's talk
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:32:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh we have water! Look at the Salt River chain of lakes in central AZ. I work at Saguaro Lake and we have another rental facility at Canyon Lake.

I just sent 30 props to Henderson for repair Thursday. Rental customers + rocks = prop damage.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow what happened to the other shop? Nothing around there huh? Interesting
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#7]
We used to use Seth Smith in Phoenix, but he died. He was an old timer that we had done business with forever. Then there is/was Props Plus, but they stopped

doing repairs in-house and started sending them to Denver for repair. Now a guy from Henderson NV comes down to Phoenix weekly and picks up our damaged props and delivers the repaired ones.

They have been doing a good job for us so we stay with them not to mention we don't have to ship them UPS.

ETA - I tried to get our company to buy Seth Smith's equipment and pitch blocks, but the owner didn't want to.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 6:42:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow I just googled that area that is a hike from NV. It's a tough enough Biz without the added milage.  Yes that equipment would have been a awesome start it's to bad they didn't have interest in it, even just the TIG welder for skegs and cav. plates  Is the equipment still around or did it vanish Could still be a biz opportunity for someone with some training
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't know where the equipment went. I sure wish we would have bought it all. I've tried to get our company to buy a TIG welder for many years. Now that I'm the service manager it may happen.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 5:49:29 AM EDT
[#10]
That's to bad about the equipment if you get a TIG or need any help I would be more than happy to try and set you on the right track.
Let me know and I'll shoot you my cell #  

Sounds like fertile ground with zero competition and long seasons I need heat as I get older
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:18:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you. If I run across the equipment I may buy it. Then I'll need someone to use it..it gets pretty hot here.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 8:56:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Whats my used OMC #390850 SST 12 1/4-15" small gearcase 14 spline worth? Prop is in excellent condition minus the teflon coating is gone and has the matte stainless finish.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:12:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Here are 2 from today Yamaha 350hp 4 blades
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:14:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Whats my used OMC #390850 SST 12 1/4-15" small gearcase 14 spline worth? Prop is in excellent condition minus the teflon coating is gone and has the matte stainless finish.
View Quote
That's a tough question, rubber hub? a guess 150 maybe
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:18:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thank you. If I run across the equipment I may buy it. Then I'll need someone to use it..it gets pretty hot here.
View Quote
You got it
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 5:50:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Yamaha Saltwater Series

LH Yamaha Saltwater Series

Mercury M- Series Zeus Pod Drive

21"/26 Nibral

Lets see if we can drive some attention over here  KB7DX
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 5:55:23 PM EDT
[#17]
@KB7DX
I didn't want to jump in your thread, nice work btw
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Interesting photos.

I don't know anything about prop repair.

I assume that the top two photos show where you have welded to build up the edges and then will grind/polish them back to the correct edge?

How much does that cost versus a new prop?
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 6:27:12 PM EDT
[#19]
My prop guy is in Algonac MI

Yamaha dealer.

Link Posted: 5/11/2017 7:46:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Interesting photos.

I don't know anything about prop repair.

I assume that the top two photos show where you have welded to build up the edges and then will grind/polish them back to the correct edge?

How much does that cost versus a new prop?
View Quote
Yea all of these are repaired or had specialty work done to them.

They will get straightened out and pitch and rake corrected, then prepped for weld. Once welded they are ground with multiple steps , balanced then prepped for buffing or satin finish for Speed prop etc depending on the application.
They are all different prices the first one maybe 175-200 and up the Zeus props high 3's ++ they are 4 & 5 blades 20" apprx.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My prop guy is in Algonac MI

Yamaha dealer.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/akethan/sholineup_zpscd2b3dcd.jpg
View Quote
Ya know they need water right?
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:05:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Algonac you say? We installed some new struts and rudders from them a few weeks ago.
Attachment Attached File

Props refurbished by our guy in Nevada.
Attachment Attached File

Dealing with this one now..
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

It's just a wee bit bent. Unfortunately, Algonac didn't make this one.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:37:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Algonac you say? We installed some new struts and rudders from them a few weeks ago.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/108158/campix0517-188-206640.JPG

Props refurbished by our guy in Nevada.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/108158/campix0517-220-206642.JPG

Dealing with this one now..
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/108158/campix0517-246-206644.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/108158/campix0517-273-206645.JPG

It's just a wee bit bent. Unfortunately, Algonac didn't make this one.
View Quote
[boat owner] My wife took the helm, I let my son take the boat, My cousin borrowed it for the weekend, [boat owner]
blah blah blah
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 5:08:33 PM EDT
[#24]
It's Hammer time

Rough ground, weld removed and balancing let the games begin

Prepped for final buffing

Finished and waiting for owner to pickup
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice work! Wish you were close by. Can you make weekly trips to Arizona to pick up and deliver props?
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 1:14:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Nice work! Wish you were close by. Can you make weekly trips to Arizona to pick up and deliver props?
View Quote
Thank you

Yes but my schedule will only allow December through February due to Climate Change
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top