Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2016 10:12:02 PM EDT
This will be our first boat so bear with me if some of my questions seem a little basic! I can tear down and rebuild a car motor and have been a gearhead since High School but haven't messed with boats at all really other then my parents having one when I was a little older.

I have a coworker that is selling their 2002 Bayliner 195 Capri. It is pretty basic without mods or upgrades that I can see but does have the 4.3l in it at least. We went to look at it today and it seemed to be in pretty good overall shape with a little bit of cleaning and tlc needed but not bad for a 14yr old boat. What are some of the major things to look for or look into on a used boat purchase like this?

I think I can get it for around $6500 with a decent trailer under it which seems to be a good deal but what would you guys say? Pricing guides seem to be quite a range on boats.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:39:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe you posted here to avoid the GD remarks, but if your intention is fishing, I would look somewhere else.

That boat is the kind of boat you take to the lake on weekends to screw around and ski/wakeboard.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:43:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I thought about posting in GD but I spend enough time there to know what kind of responses I might get
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 9:43:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That boat is the kind of boat you take to the lake on weekends to screw around and ski/wakeboard.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 9:56:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Do your research on a boat forum. Hull truth is the forum you seek
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#5]
What kind of fishing do you plan on doing?
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 2:47:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll post a link to my used boat thread when I get home. $6500 for a 14 year old Bayliner is kinda steep IMO. Whatever you do, have it checked out by a shop, preferably on the water so it can be tested properly.

Running it on a hose in the driveway is one thing, running it on the water is another animal.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'll post a link to my used boat thread when I get home. $6500 for a 14 year old Bayliner is kinda steep IMO. Whatever you do, have it checked out by a shop, preferably on the water so it can be tested properly.

Running it on a hose in the driveway is one thing, running it on the water is another animal.
View Quote

Thanks to KB for all posts and info he has contributed here!! I am posting the link and a copy of his post to keep him from having to dig it up.

Here is a link to KB's -- So you want to buy a used boat thread

Not sure if non team members can access archives so here is main part of the post.

All of the below text is from KB's thread/post.

The boating season is around the corner and some of you may be thinking about buying a used
boat. Here's KB's "used boat checklist" to help you make an informed purchase.

First off, perform these checks when initially looking at the boat.

1  Visual inspection of engine. How does it look? Oily,rusty,corroded,wiring rotted?

2  Compression check 100 psi minimum for 2 strokes, 4 strokes will vary but should be 150ish. All cylinders should be within 10%. (although Merc now says 15%)

3  Spark check using proper spark checker. (This test mostly for outboard ignitions)

4  Gear lube inspection. Remove the drain plug just enough to allow a bit to dribble out. Water means there's water in it YIKES! Rusty water is a double YIKES! Milky oil is contaminated with water (leaks) Black oil means it's overdue for a change. New oil will be transparent, just tinted different colors for different brands.
   Small  amounts of metal shavings are to be expected, chunks are not.

5  Run on hose. Start it up and let it warm up for a few minutes. Make sure the propeller isn't going to contact anything, and shift it in and out of forward and reverse. Allow some time between shifting it between gears to allow the prop to stop rotating.

6  Inspect the transom for cracks or rotting. Especially near the bottom of the stern bracket (outboards) or gimbal housing (sterndrives). Inspect the deck (floor) and the stringers (big ribs/beams that run the length of the boat) for rot and or softness.

7  Batteries How old are they? Are the terminals corroded? Does it look "pregnant"(swollen). Batteries are pricey these days and old batteries are a good tool for lowering the price.

8  Service When was the boat serviced last? In most cases it will run about $500 per engine (sterndrive) and a little less for an outboard. If the boat hasn't been serviced for the season, you should deduct the service price from the selling price..another tool.

9  Bellows and transom rubber (sterndrives) These are the rubber "boots" or bellows that connect the drive with the boat basically. These should be changed about every 4 or 5 years. Sooner if the boat is kept in the water. This repair runs between $500 and $1000 per engine/drive...another bargaining tool.

If all this checks out, then it's time for a "sea trial". One strong note of caution
here..If the seller won't take it for an on the water test...RUN AWAY! Don't let the seller
BS you and say "I don't give boat rides" or "I don't have time".. RUN AWAY! (see above)

One tactic is to go through the checks I describe above in the driveway. Negotiate a price
with the seller. Then tell him the sale is contingent on the sea trial. This forces the
sellers hand. If the seller agrees to the sea trial and the boat performs as it should on
the water, you probably have a sound boat.

During the sea trial, take note of RPM's at wide open throttle, oil pressure and temperature. Listen for any "rumbling" sounds from the transom., especially when the steering is hard over to the right or left. Note steering effort too. Stiff steering indicates a bad cable or helm, corroded/bound pivot or tilt tube (outboards) Sterndrives with power steering can be stiff from bad cable, pump or steering ram, rusted or corroded steering pin in the gimbal housing. Check shifting again. Does it go in and out of gear easily? Does it stall when shifted into gear? How does it idle in gear? Check for hesitation upon acceleration and stalling when coming down off of plane. Finally, check the bilge for water.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 3:44:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Maybe you posted here to avoid the GD remarks, but if your intention is fishing, I would look somewhere else.

View Quote

That is why it would be nice to have a Boating forum in the General Interests section.

This forum is for fishing boats and doesn't get a huge amount of traffic and is not really the place for non fishing boat boating threads.

If you post in GD about boats it just goes to shit in a hurry.

There is a thread in the Site Suggestions sections asking for a boating forum

Might help if we could get more people to request it.

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#9]
we have a saying here in the boating capital of the world,"you know why they called a bayliner? they are lining the bottom of the bay!!"

bayliner is a cheaply built boat of low quality prone to stress cracks
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
we have a saying here in the boating capital of the world,"you know why they called a bayliner? they are lining the bottom of the bay!!"

bayliner is a cheaply built boat of low quality prone to stress cracks
View Quote

You can shine a flashlight through the hull. I owned one for a short time. lessened learned.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 7:21:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That is why it would be nice to have a Boating forum in the General Interests section.

This forum is for fishing boats and doesn't get a huge amount of traffic and is not really the place for non fishing boat boating threads.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Requested
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah yeah, I've heard all the Bayliner jokes.  Outside of Pend Oreille most of the lakes don't get big enough waves for me to worry about hull damage.  Boats are failry expensive around here from what we've found so far.  This boat is from a coworker and they've had it for almost 12 years.  They are having a mechanic go completely through it as well.  We had a Bayliner growing up and never had a single problem with it.  I know some brand might get a bad rap from time to time but I think a lot depends on how you are using something and the sheer number of a product out there for you to hear the stories of.

We just bought a travel trailer this last year to so trying to stay within a modest budget.  With so many lakes around here and a large part of shoreline either private or impossible to get to it makes fishing hard.  Fishing is mainly for bass, trout, Kokanee and possibly an occasional deep water Mackinaw or Lake Trout.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 6:48:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

yea, I bought an 18foot bayliner cobra a while back for $2k.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 6:53:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yeah yeah, I've heard all the Bayliner jokes.  Outside of Pend Oreille most of the lakes don't get big enough waves for me to worry about hull damage.  Boats are failry expensive around here from what we've found so far.  This boat is from a coworker and they've had it for almost 12 years.  They are having a mechanic go completely through it as well.  We had a Bayliner growing up and never had a single problem with it.  I know some brand might get a bad rap from time to time but I think a lot depends on how you are using something and the sheer number of a product out there for you to hear the stories of.

We just bought a travel trailer this last year to so trying to stay within a modest budget.  With so many lakes around here and a large part of shoreline either private or impossible to get to it makes fishing hard.  Fishing is mainly for bass, trout, Kokanee and possibly an occasional deep water Mackinaw or Lake Trout.
View Quote

when I bought the bayliner I was looking for a fishing/play boat. found out really quick that you cant fish really well out of those boats.
I ended up getting a center console when the force OB blew on the bayliner and never looked back.
you can still do all the playing in a CC and the fishing is much more enjoyable.
either way, I would go with an outboard, easier to work on and much easier to replace when/if called for.
winterizing is also very easy.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 9:00:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bayliners are the "model T" of the boating world. Built and priced so everyone could afford them. That said, as long as it's not rotted out and runs properly, it will be an OK starter boat.

I still think $6500 is pretty steep. Is it a Mercruiser I/O?

Thanks TN Mad Dog for posting the text from my thread. I was at work (at the marina) and couldn't access some things from there.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 10:34:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes, it is the 4.3 Mercruiser I/O.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 9:30:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yes, it is the 4.3 Mercruiser I/O.
View Quote

At least it's a Mercruiser. Make sure it runs at the recommended wide open throttle RPM's on plane trimmed out. W.O.T. RPM's will be listed on the flame arrestor (air cleaner) cover. IIRC it's 4400-4600 RPM,s but check anyways.

Make sure you don't run old gas in it. The 4.3's as well as all marine engines are prone to detonation, especially 4.3's.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top